Fairing Getting Stuck Issue

Hey guys, I really hope you can help me.

I just send a manned craft out to Jool, (Lathe to be specific). I put a fairing on it, that would shield away the experiments during aerobreaking. But I've now run into an issue where, when I try to deploy the fairing, half of it gets stuck onto the rest of the spacecraft. The craft then proceeds to shake violently. If I try to EVA the game crashes, and I can't timewarp.

Another thing I tried was to send out the probe that I brought with me, fly it far away, and then jump back the the mother-craft with map-mode. But that just put it in a weird "I am in space, but my status says that I am landed?!?" state, where I can't do anything. Accelerate. Timewarp. And my speed is "0".

It might be a bug/issue with the "Close fairing" around another object.

So I was wondering if anyone had an idea to how I can fix this? One thought I had, was to go into the vehicle file, and edit it to make it deployed in that way? But I have no idea how to do that.

So any help would be very much appreciated, as this is a long run spaceprogram without any cheats, but this I find acceptable to do something about! ;)

Here's a few images to clarify.

screenshot137_zpsvqj5lshq.png

screenshot138_zpstoe2h2m1.png

Edited by The-MathMog

It depends, but if push comes to shove, start rolling with SAS of and hopes it gets flinged away. I'm not even kidding.

I have tried that a few times without luck. I can try again, but I don't think it will change much. It is pretty well stuck in there :P

What do you mean the game crashed when you EVA?

If you have any quicksaves before you deploy the fairing, EVA a kerbal first, deploy the fairing, then ram it out of there with the EVA'd kerbal.

Edited by TheBrisbyMouse

Can you eject the fairing, and hit timewarp right away? Or F5 right away so you can then F9? Or escape, and go to space center? When you come back the fairing will be gone.

Or have a ship 2km away and moving away from you, hit the fairing, and then > to switch to the other ship? Let that ship get 3km away from your ship and it'll unload from physics.

That's all I got. I've never personally had a fairing stuck that didn't kick off with just a little spinning.

Can you eject the fairing, and hit timewarp right away? Or F5 right away so you can then F9? Or escape, and go to space center? When you come back the fairing will be gone.

Or have a ship 2km away and moving away from you, hit the fairing, and then > to switch to the other ship? Let that ship get 3km away from your ship and it'll unload from physics.

That's all I got. I've never personally had a fairing stuck that didn't kick off with just a little spinning.

After deploying the fairing I can't timewarp, as I get the message "Can't timewarp while moving over terrain" or something along that lines.

As mentioned, I tried sending a probe away from it too, to make the physics unload, but it just put the main-craft in a weird state of "Landed?" while still in orbit, and having a velocity of "0".

I also can't go to the space center, because it thinks the spacecraft is in motion. It would then put me back to my last save, which was before the deployment.

Might try to see if I can save straight after and load, or go to the space center right after.

This is also the first fairing that has caused me this great an issue :/

What do you mean the game crashed when you EVA?

If you have any quicksaves before you deploy the fairing, EVA a kerbal first, deploy the fairing, then ram it out of there with the EVA'd kerbal.

After I deploy the fairing, and go EVA, the game immediately crashed when I activate RCS jetpack :/ I might try that!

I've run into the same problem, only I could send a Kerbal on EVA, and I could go back to the space center.

Both didn't help, as pushing the piece of fairing away didn't work and the space center thought the craft was "landed on Mun". I had a save from before launch, so I could revert to that.

I don't think there's a way to fix this.

Quick save / quick load didn't help ? Farings aren't regular debris, they shouldn't get back

EDIt : a least, if you have a save before releasing the faring, you could try to edit the save file and remobe the fairing. I don't know how to do it but that's probably possible.

Quick save / quick load didn't help ? Farings aren't regular debris, they shouldn't get back

EDIt : a least, if you have a save before releasing the faring, you could try to edit the save file and remobe the fairing. I don't know how to do it but that's probably possible.

I didn't wanna quicksave right after, as I wouldn't be able to go back before. But I can of course just try making a custom quick save. Will try that.

And the last thing yeah, that is what I thought too, and I have no idea either, what exactly to do :/

I've run into the same problem, only I could send a Kerbal on EVA, and I could go back to the space center.

Both didn't help, as pushing the piece of fairing away didn't work and the space center thought the craft was "landed on Mun". I had a save from before launch, so I could revert to that.

I don't think there's a way to fix this.

Hmm, a shame really :/

I had a... more or less a similar problem. But instead a fairing, my launch clamp somehow teleported to my rocket while I was in the upper atmosphere, and then it remained there forever. At that point I could no longer control the vessel, couldn't stage, couldn't do anything but revert.

And the last thing yeah, that is what I thought too, and I have no idea either, what exactly to do :/

Never did it but here is what I would do

- Get and duplicate a save file before jetisson the fairing

- open the save file

- Locate your ship using it's name

- Locate the fairing using the part name (you should not hve dozens...)

- try to find a "state" data

- try to locate if there is some fairing contrruction definition

- delete the fairing construction definition (not the part)

- change the stat of the fairing.

You could try to find the values by creating a save in sandbox mode

- One save before blowing the fairing

- One save after blowing it

-> you would get an example to insert in your save file.

If that don't work, reuse your duplicated save file.

I already did that to repack chutes, revert parts, revive kerbals, edit or delete, remove parts or even add parts**.

**I have a minmus space station with a docking ring senior at th bottom for extensions. When I undocked it to release the transfert stage from LKO, I realized I placed it in the wrong direction. It stayed sith the stage debris... s I was fed up with doing some Minmus missions, I corrected th station, put it on the launch pad made a save and compared the docking ring attachement on the launchpad to the attachement on the minmus station. I found the difference, copied the part edited 2 fields (some kind of ship ID and a part ID; probably the attachement part).

Never did it but here is what I would do

- Get and duplicate a save file before jetisson the fairing

- open the save file

- Locate your ship using it's name

- Locate the fairing using the part name (you should not hve dozens...)

- try to find a "state" data

- try to locate if there is some fairing contrruction definition

- delete the fairing construction definition (not the part)

- change the stat of the fairing.

You could try to find the values by creating a save in sandbox mode

- One save before blowing the fairing

- One save after blowing it

-> you would get an example to insert in your save file.

If that don't work, reuse your duplicated save file.

I already did that to repack chutes, revert parts, revive kerbals, edit or delete, remove parts or even add parts**.

**I have a minmus space station with a docking ring senior at th bottom for extensions. When I undocked it to release the transfert stage from LKO, I realized I placed it in the wrong direction. It stayed sith the stage debris... s I was fed up with doing some Minmus missions, I corrected th station, put it on the launch pad made a save and compared the docking ring attachement on the launchpad to the attachement on the minmus station. I found the difference, copied the part edited 2 fields (some kind of ship ID and a part ID; probably the attachement part).

Found out that quicksaving after the deployment was not possible.

Hmm, so this is probably what I will try to do. I just had a look in the files, and there is nothing "very obvious" about what need to be changed, so it will probably take some time to find and fix.

I had a similar problem before. What I did to work around was to turn on physics warp to 4x before I staged the fairing. Then it blasted the fairing out with such force it didn’t get hung up on the part it was intersecting at regular speed.

I had a similar problem before. What I did to work around was to turn on physics warp to 4x before I staged the fairing. Then it blasted the fairing out with such force it didn’t get hung up on the part it was intersecting at regular speed.

Thanks for the idea. Will go try that right now! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahaha, thanks a lot man! It actually fixed it rather smoothly! Glad I avoided the whole "editing the craft files"! :D Cheers!

I've had this issue a couple of times as well where you eject the fairings and part of it will ram/get stuck into decouplers/winglets. Interestly a mod I use 'Science Alert' would start freaking out saying I was in a new biome when I wasn't.

The solution I've been using is quite simple. When you're in the VAB/SPH right click on the fairing base and you will be presented with 2 options. One of these is "Ejection force" which is at default a measly 30. I bump this right up to 100 and haven't had this problem since, except when I forget to do it. The other option you can change there is how many pieces each subsection of the fairing is made up of, I would assume increasing this would also lower the chances of the fairings bugging crafting out but I imagine it's probably just more of a cosmetic feature.

The solution I've been using is quite simple. When you're in the VAB/SPH right click on the fairing base and you will be presented with 2 options.

Those options are StockPlus options (from my mod) and not pure stock. Glad they help a little.

On that subject, I just added a fix for the stuck fairings to my fixes (ModuleProceduralFairingFix). It should do slightly better allowing fairings to clear close in parts...and if they do get hung up on the ship, you should be able to time warp or quickload/quicksave out of it.

As a side benefit to how I fixed it, other mods should hopefully not start freaking out about being in a biome.

Cheers,

-Claw

Those options are StockPlus options (from my mod) and not pure stock. Glad they help a little.

On that subject, I just added a fix for the stuck fairings to my fixes (ModuleProceduralFairingFix). It should do slightly better allowing fairings to clear close in parts...and if they do get hung up on the ship, you should be able to time warp or quickload/quicksave out of it.

As a side benefit to how I fixed it, other mods should hopefully not start freaking out about being in a biome.

Cheers,

-Claw

I must of completely missed reading that part in the mod description, my bad! Indeed they help a lot so thanks. I guess my recommendation to the OP and others experiencing this issue then would be to download Claw's Stock bug fix ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.