Jool-5 Non-Stop; A one capsule Jool 5 mission without docking or ISRU

Greetings!

With 1.0 out, and the Atlas Mission in standby for a reboot in 1.0, I decided to record a quick Jool-5 mission. Of course, I can't just do a logical Jool-5, I have to impose some pointless restrictions. So, this is a one capsule Jool-5 without docking or ISRU. Basically, I wanted to create a serially staged spacecraft where the entire thing has to land; take off from a moon; transfer to another moon; land... No refueling or docking in between.

Let me know what you think!

Nicely done!

27 years before Jool arrival. That's long way :)

Thanks! :)

Those gravity assists sure do take a long time, but since there is no life support, I figured I'd give em a try. Turns out the lazy Kerbin->Kerbin->Kerbin gravity assists are not all that useful. Sure, they are somewhat easy to do, but they don't save you that much deltaV (I spent 1687 m/s, as opposed to 1950 m/s for a direct Jool transfer (no insertion burn)). In hindsight, I should of just slapped some more fuel on the transfer stage and did a direct Kerbin->Jool transfer burn. :rolleyes:

This amused me, particularly the part where you FLIPPED OUT about him not climbing the ladder xD

Although I must say, 30 years for a mission is a reeeeally long time... o_o

Although it seems like an exaggeration, I really was ticked off by that ladder :mad:. It was especially frustrating since I TESTED it on Kerbin before I launched it. I have no idea why he couldn't climb it... Maybe the Kraken adjusted it slightly so that it wouldn't work. IDK, but next time, I'm just sticking an extra capsule to the base of my craft so that I never have to deal with ladders again.

Edited by Stratzenblitz75

I think maybe sloped surface and legs damaged during landing caused parts of craft to shift relative to each other so ladders become misaligned slightly. I had similar situation with my Eve lander, legs repairing helped in that case.

Edited by redsh

I think maybe sloped surface and legs damaged during landing caused parts of craft to shift relative to each other so ladders become misaligned slightly. I had similar situation with my Eve lander, legs repairing helped in that case.

Thanks for insight... I'll keep that in mind next time ladders give me anger issues :)

Awesome!

Did you actually plan all those flybys in advance or did you take them as they fell and waited for the right time coming by eventually?

I planned the first flyby, (I just increased my solar apoapsis so that it had 3/2 times the orbital period of Kerbin). However, the rest were taken by setting up a maneuver node and skipping ahead a few orbits until I got the nearest approach with Kerbin that I could get. From there, I would play with the maneuver node to turn the approach into an encounter.

I really enjoyed this, nicely done. I was jamming to that background track! :confused:

Thanks! Glad you liked my music choice. Its the stuff I usually listen to when I'm playing KSP.

looks awesome! i just do not have the patience to do all that gravity assisting. also, how was the ladder resolved?

-jaddbo

The ladder issue was resolved by retracting the lower ladder while Neilmund was stuck in the ladder joint. This forced him to let go of the lower ladder and grab the upper one, allowing him to climb up the rest of the ladder system (thankfully, without any other incidents).

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.