Actually ignoring users?

When I click 'Ignore This User' thingy and they're on my ignore list, it doesn't really achieve its goal - sure, the post is hidden, but I get a huge block of text saying 'THIS POST IS HIDDEN BECAUSE THE USER IS ON YOUR IGNORE LIST'. Well.. it's not really, because there's a post saying that instead. It's the same thing as 'don't think of a pink golf ball' and 'this page intentionally left blank', you know? The fact it's telling me to ignore it makes me NOT ignore it because I'm reading about how I should ignore it.

So, is that text really necessary? Is it possible to just not show anything at all? Would look a bit odd if other people quoted/referenced that post, but that would be better than a glaring break in the thread flow saying that something I specifically did not have an interest in seeing exists.

I think that message is there in case the person you ignored said something important, so you have the option to unhide it. I don't know, I would rather not have holes in conversations where I didn't even know someone posted, even if that someone pissed me off enough to ignore them at some point.

I think that message is there in case the person you ignored said something important, so you have the option to unhide it.

If it was important, chances are someone would quote it at some point. I suppose the crux of my issue is the size of the notice - why not just a tiny "hidden post" that I can click to reveal? Less of a break in thread flow for me, less likely to grab my attention, still retains ability to see the post if wanted.

I'd answer but your post is hidden.

Just kidding, unfortunately I don't see any options to change this in the admin panel, it looks to be default vBulletin behaviour, it probably needs a plugin to change it.

it probably needs a plugin to change it.

Modders, unite! :D

Anyway, fair enough, that's a shame.. It seems all my complaints about this forum are actually about the engine it's built on. Brb, petitioning Vbulletin.. somehow.

Thanks ObessedWithKSP, now I can't stop thinking about pink golf balls on blank sheets of paper.:cool:

You mean something like this?

GB5000-NPink-2.jpg

I had this problem a few months ago. I just ended up reading all their posts anyway, so I just unignored everybody. I've had luck blocking sigs and avatars with AdBlockPlus. You should be able to write a filter to block specific users:

https://adblockplus.org/filters

This will help you write one, but it only works on Firefox:

https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper

Also *ahem* you can't ignore moderators.

--------------------

Edit: Figured an easy solution. Ignore as normal, and go to AdBlockPlus -> Options -> Add Your Own Filter

forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com##li[class="postbitignored postbitim"]

Edited by FleshJeb
clarification of steps

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.