[1.8+] Amazing Curve Editor 1.3

sarbian

A revival of the old Mumech curve editor by r4m0n.

It allows you to edit and see the shape of a KSP FloatCurve and copy the config to your cfg. Only useful to modders and those who edit cfg files.

Open/close with ALT+P in any scene

AmazingCurveEditor.png

1.1 : add a grid and labels to the graph

1.2 : @linuxgurugamer sent me a patch with a few updates:

• @4x4cheesecake's fix for the VAB
  • Added button to start a new FloatCurve (ie:  delete all entries)
  • Added button to smooth tangents of current curve
  • Added import of float curves which don't have tangents (only 2 fields)
  • Allowed tabs when pasting in for conversion
  • Added button to copy to clipboard
  • Added button to paste from clipboard
  • Added sort toggle, inspired by @HappyFaceIindustries patch

1.3 : KSP 1.8

Download : AmazingCurveEditor

Source : GitHub

Licence : GPL-2 (Included)

Edited by sarbian

This is obviously not a mod I need to be using, I have no idea what the float curve is, unless someone feels generous and wants to explain to me what float curve is and how this would be useful? :blush:

Unfortunately, taking credit for others' work is kinda frowned upon around here, so I'll have to pass on that.

I get the hint, though, but I don't believe in programming as a hobby. It is stressful enough already as a job and I prefer less stressful activities take up my hobby time.

I get the hint, though, but I don't believe in programming as a hobby. It is stressful enough already as a job and I prefer less stressful activities take up my hobby time.

I am with you on that :)

a forked work i wish is to use it in game (not only for modding) to display the engine curves to better understand how they run, the same fo solar panels etc

something that display them in the part selection tab with other characteristics maybe?

So what is a KSP float curve?

here is some reading for you: [iNFO] KSP floatCurves and you - the magic of tangents

however this mod doesn't allow to draw curve without defined tangents? for exemple for the RT-10 SRB:

atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 195
key = 1 170
key = 7 0.001
}

For this task there is a great plugin for Unity that permit it (auto tangent mode):

[unity]FloatCurve editor 1.0

but i'm not sure this is how KSP works. someone can confirm it?

P.S: thanks for sharing your works guys, we know you ever contributed a lot to KSP mods. suggestions for feature aren't (and can't be) a hard request, it's just some ideas to improve the mod just in case you don't have enought :D.

(a proverb say:it's the one that has the idea that have to do, but code is a skill some few people have and is less attractive to learn than drawing on blender...)

• 1 month later...

Does this edit the ship launch curve? I'd like to be able to use this in MechJeb's launch curve tool without having to close the game and edit game files to use it. I'm just asking now before I install and test it. I haven't actually played KSP since 0.9 so I'm currently updating all my mods slowly one by one.

Does this edit the ship launch curve? I'd like to be able to use this in MechJeb's launch curve tool without having to close the game and edit game files to use it. I'm just asking now before I install and test it. I haven't actually played KSP since 0.9 so I'm currently updating all my mods slowly one by one.

I don't understand a word of what you are asking.

I don't understand a word of what you are asking.

He's asking about the ascent trajectory that MechJeb uses.

Vas, the answer's no. This tool is meant to edit things like atmosphere and velocity curves that modify engine thrust. It's mainly useful to part creators, not so much to end users.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way we could make this apply immediately? It would be not just great for balance runs but downright incredible if it could do that!

Additional feature request is if when loaded during game-play it shows where on the curve your craft is.

Ruedii (and others) : I won't work on this before 1.1. The new UI will make drawing (and maybe editing?) the curve easier and more efficient. So the good ideas in the thread will have to wait after that

• 7 months later...

that "input-field-onchange-auto-sort" thing needs to get addressed when updating starts again ;P

unless you paste the whole value, each digit typed shuffles the row order - but cursor doesn't follow the edited field, it stays on the same row (which is a different value by that time).

also x-axis dashes would be appreciated...

but it's already a great help for modding w/o unity.

Edited by rgr

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I need to work a bit on this again but I won't have time for at least a week. If someone want to submit a pr it should be quite easy to implement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.