Unify game modes for greater configurability

In the game we have sandbox, science and economy mode. Instead of naming them as different modes, the parts of them could be configurable, that is, there could be five selections:

rocket start costs [funds/none]

technology developement costs [science/none]

building upgrade costs [funds/reputation/science/none]

hiring costs [funds/reputation/science/none]

kerbonauts gain XP [yes/no]

unused ressources would be removed and we would get a bunch of new combinations to play.

sounds great. add tech tree unlocks to be funds, and you got a hole in one =)

TBH, I always thought sandbox players would really enjoy contracts even though they dont get any resources from em.

The main reason I love this suggestion so much, is I play career-without-science mode... that is, I hate grinding science to get the parts I want, so I edit the save file to give me enough science to unlock everything (16,918 points) and then proceed as normal.

I still do science, but it's for the fun of it, not schlepping through tiredly for another part I need.

The contracts give me something to do, as I am not very imaginative or proactive.

Would it be worth considering in this change the addition of an extra science unlock option based on time?

So a tech tree on rails that would mirror us humans and unlock the all the parts over the course of 40-50years.

I see something like this being a good way to answer all the requests for different modes, and to open up more possibilities.

Would it be worth considering in this change the addition of an extra science unlock option based on time?

So a tech tree on rails that would mirror us humans and unlock the all the parts over the course of 40-50years.

Which would only work if other time based mechanisms were added, which this sort of modularity would be great for.

Edited by Tw1

• 2 weeks later...

What about keeping the science mode in it but tying the tech tree science unlocks to set missions that encourage exploration and moving outwards from Kerbin. For example these Goal Contracts could be to:

Establish a manned base on Minmus that produces x amount of Ore, that also has x,y,z science experiments on it.

You'll need to run the experiments to complete the contract then that would open up a tranche of parts in the tech tree that players (with a good amount of skill and understanding of the game) would be able to use to get to Duna.

It doesn't have to even be one mission per body. Each body (or indeed particular biomes) could have 1,2,3 or more specific mission goals and once they are achieved then the next level of tech tree unlocks are made available.

E.g. Minmus could have:

1) Construct one base with a particular set of science experiments

2) Return Ore from the Flatlands to help R&D with research for the nuclear engine

3) Create a 3 satellite network in a particular orbit

4)

These are in addition to the the regular contacts that pop up. The regular contracts would be to raise funds, whilst the Goal Contracts would allow unique narratives to be created by each player as they expand their space program.

It would take some time and thought with regards to balancing the gameplay, both from a narrative and sets of parts unlocked viewpoint but I think it would be great and would put the "Program" into KSP!

It would of course work alongside the OP too.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a very often suggested idea and I agree with it fully every time.  Not only would it make it under your own control but it would add new game modes like the opposite of Science mode (funds only).  I personally hate the tech tree and science and would love to just be able to play with funding (including the initial buy in cost so the parts aren't all available at once)

On 6/7/2015 at 6:23 PM, Kaos said:

technology developement costs [science/none]

This should be [science/funds/both/none] as we currently have the ability to be science, both, and none.

I missed this suggestion the first time around.  But checking which options you want in a "Custom" game would be insanely fun.
I kinda like paying upgrades with science.  It gives a purpose on stripping Minmus and Mün clean and still have a lot of wiggle room to clean up some other bodies.

Some options should be :
 - Contracts [ yes / no ]
 - Science [ yes / no ]
 - Money [ yes / no ]
 - Reputation [ yes / no ]
 - Building needs upgrade [ yes / no ]

Why?  I can have a "Science mode w/Contracts" without editing my save file to unlock everything on the KSC. 
But I could still have everything else except updating buildings... could even remove money if I wanted.

Having the choices in the menu would be the best for everyone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.