[STOCK] [Super-Detailed] WWII Era Vehicles (Latest: Supermarine Spitfire) [With BD Armory Variants]

Hello all, I'd like to unveil the latest replica:

M4 Sherman

UZT2t5t.png

The M4 Sherman was the most numerous battle tank used by the United States in WWII, being reliable and mobile. This replica is modeled after the cast hull variant (note the more curved hull as opposed to Zeke's welded hull variant), and has a functional turret that can be separated by staging, and runs impressively smoothly. Take care not to turn too fast as the turret makes the craft top heavy.

Parts: 331

Mass: 27.9 tons

Cost: rwGmwPktxe9GN9sIWk4qgs7mx8kGM36BYxgXkPFcrPvMMOFmUS-llR98o0Huo9APlvB6MtXHhY5JC43mKP5FOyT7guTZTim5V__BhS316zEpYK4MhkNBDarF8mnSUmwNlYVsKHA199107

BDArmory version: One 105 mm howitzer on the turret, one 30 mm automatic cannon on the body

Next will finally be the Cleveland Class Light Cruiser, once the turrets are finished.

I need some feedback/advice on the cruiser:

Because of the placement of the hull frame, building stock turrets that actually turn would require a substantial reconstruction of the bow and stern, along with boosting the part count to (estimated) around 800. I'm considering compromising by only building functional AA turrets (constituting two out of the six turrets) which would avoid most of those problems. What are all your thoughts on this?

-Rix Killian

I need some feedback/advice on the cruiser:

Because of the placement of the hull frame, building stock turrets that actually turn would require a substantial reconstruction of the bow and stern, along with boosting the part count to (estimated) around 800. I'm considering compromising by only building functional AA turrets (constituting two out of the six turrets) which would avoid most of those problems. What are all your thoughts on this?

-Rix Killian

Okay, how many parts would it be without working turrets? Would most of the additional parts come from the turrets, or the rebuild of the bow and stern? Would said rebuild make it look worse?

Okay, how many parts would it be without working turrets? Would most of the additional parts come from the turrets, or the rebuild of the bow and stern? Would said rebuild make it look worse?

Without the turret mechanism, I could probably bring it down ~90-100 parts, without the bow/stern rebuild, another ~20. It wouldn't look any different, I would just need to separate the internal frame and rebuild the deck.

Without the turret mechanism, I could probably bring it down ~90-100 parts, without the bow/stern rebuild, another ~20. It wouldn't look any different, I would just need to separate the internal frame and rebuild the deck.

Hmm, well, 800 parts is a lot, have you considered releasing 2 different versions, one with the turret, and one without?

Hmm, well, 800 parts is a lot, have you considered releasing 2 different versions, one with the turret, and one without?

I have, but considering that I'll be releasing a BDArmory version with actual turrets alongside the stock version, it seems a bit unnecessary, considering that the stock turrets can't do any damage

• 3 weeks later...

After a long period of rebuilding and lack of computer access, the Cleveland Class Light Cruiser is finished at last! I will upload it tomorrow along with a bonus vehicle, the Pontiac Torpedo Deluxe.

I completely rebuilt the superstructure, as the previous model was horribly inaccurate. The AA guns were stripped down to reduce the part count, and ended up looking better as a result. The main turrets also warranted a rebuild, so they were scrapped and again, built more accurately and with fewer parts.

In the future I may develop a version that uses Ubiozur's Welding mod, so that it can be used alongside other craft (i.e. In battle situations, recon missions, etc.)

Sorry to keep you all waiting, so here's a teaser to tide you over :wink:

gBIQFP3.png

...good for its size, but not quite real-looking.

I decided to try my hand at the cast hull variant since I prefer it visually and because you've built a welded hull variant. That means of course that the curves won't be spot on, but I think the hull shape is pretty close. I agree with you on your second point, but I think that's primarily because of the tracks; since my models are focused on functionality above aesthetics, I chose to use the full wheels instead of the trademark arrangement, which detracts a lot from the accuracy of the model. I'll be updating this and any future tanks as soon as I can figure out a better track layout that still functions as it should.

It's finally here! After too long, the Cleveland-class light cruiser is finished and released.

Cleveland Class Light Cruiser

hPMkZ3M.png

The Cleveland-class cruisers were designed by the US Navy with a goal of increased range, along with upgrades in armaments and defense. This craft is functional and is crewed by seven kerbals. Control with yaw.

Parts: 804

Mass: 150.7 tons

Cost: rwGmwPktxe9GN9sIWk4qgs7mx8kGM36BYxgXkPFcrPvMMOFmUS-llR98o0Huo9APlvB6MtXHhY5JC43mKP5FOyT7guTZTim5V__BhS316zEpYK4MhkNBDarF8mnSUmwNlYVsKHA416853

BDArmory version: 4 Flak turrets, 12 Howitzers on 6 turrets, 4 30mm cannons

(I'll likely adjust it to fix the waterline some time in the future)

Along with it, I'm releasing a bonus (relatively unplanned) replica:

​Pontiac Torpedo Deluxe

jfKuc8I.png

The Pontiac Torpedo is widely known as one of the first muscle cars, and was often used as a staff car.

Parts: 390

Mass: 11.9 tons

Cost: rwGmwPktxe9GN9sIWk4qgs7mx8kGM36BYxgXkPFcrPvMMOFmUS-llR98o0Huo9APlvB6MtXHhY5JC43mKP5FOyT7guTZTim5V__BhS316zEpYK4MhkNBDarF8mnSUmwNlYVsKHA138695

I decided to try my hand at the cast hull variant since I prefer it visually and because you've built a welded hull variant. That means of course that the curves won't be spot on, but I think the hull shape is pretty close. I agree with you on your second point, but I think that's primarily because of the tracks; since my models are focused on functionality above aesthetics, I chose to use the full wheels instead of the trademark arrangement, which detracts a lot from the accuracy of the model. I'll be updating this and any future tanks as soon as I can figure out a better track layout that still functions as it should.

Ah, that makes sense - props to you for making it Kerbal-sized too! It looks great anyway. And yeah, My M4 family use both Conventional vertical gear and HVSS - I hide the wheels underneath, but it's not that stable and has a tendency of falling off.

I just finished my Tiger 1 Replica, perhaps we should make a showcase video together sometime :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.