[STOCK] [Super-Detailed] WWII Era Vehicles (Latest: Supermarine Spitfire) [With BD Armory Variants]

I just finished my Tiger 1 Replica, perhaps we should make a showcase video together sometime :)

That'd be fantastic! I've also been toying with WWII environments utilizing Kerbal Konstructs - that would be interesting to incorporate as well...

That'd be fantastic! I've also been toying with WWII environments utilizing Kerbal Konstructs - that would be interesting to incorporate as well...

It would indeed - I use hyperedit to move my craft, meaning I can put them anywhere needed for testing/filming/pictures.

I've really got to install hyperedit again, it would make all of this positioning easier

It for sure does, especially when I need to place my tanks in the desert for desert scenes, I don't have to ICBM them over.

Quick update on the current progressions: I built a mini turret!

yDNnpG.gif

It's small enough to fit within the fuselage of the TBF Avenger, while still turning and staying in place. I have yet to make it jump the bearing.

This model has rotational limiters in place which currently allow 160 degrees of rotation (to avoid the cockpit), but can be adjusted to increase or decrease it's range.

have you tested it with vertical shake? or horizontal shake? Or both?

Some turrets are stable in one configuration, but not in others.

Do you mean pitching and rolling the turret? Or running it while on it's side?

I've tested both and it runs well and doesn't jump with either.

Do you mean pitching and rolling the turret? Or running it while on it's side?

I've tested both and it runs well and doesn't jump with either.

I meant shaking the turret and pointing it around at the same time. So, rocket sled and point it different directions, and put the acceleration on various parts of the structure. Once you make your sled, try attaching the turret in different ways- say with up= forward, up= left, up= backwards, up= down, etc.

these are really good. they have such atmosphere to them. I love the GAZ AAA. I have a thing for old cars. :) I've made lots of trucks in KSP and seen a lot more, but this is the first time I saw a hood like yours. I hope you don't mind me trying to replicate your replica!(I doubt you would sense you put up the craft file.)

Keep up the awesome work, Sincerely Planetfall

these are really good. they have such atmosphere to them. I love the GAZ AAA. I have a thing for old cars. :) I've made lots of trucks in KSP and seen a lot more, but this is the first time I saw a hood like yours. I hope you don't mind me trying to replicate your replica!

Thank you! And go ahead, I'd love to see what you come up with!

• 1 month later...
Amazingly incredible! ETA on the Spitfire and maybe could you do a P-52D after? :D

Thank you! Sorry I've been so inactive the past month - Senior year started and I've been all caught up with that.

Right now I have a stockpile of updated planes to upload (With proper control surfaces and tweaked body shapes), along with a few new planes, including the Avenger, P-36 Hawk, and A6M Zero. I'll try to upload these within the next week.

I'll start the Spitfire as soon as I can - that'll be the next upload after these - and I'll look into the Mustang.

Thanks for keeping interest!

Btw: I've started painting all the planes I build - should I upload both variants of each plane painted, or just the BDArmory version? (If you don't have Kerbpaint, the painted craft will still work with your game, it just loses the color)

• 1 month later...
Thank you! And go ahead, I'd love to see what you come up with!

OK, I made a copy of the cab of your GAZ AAA, and made different rear trailers for it. There's a ambulance, tow truck, and missile silo variant. I'm rather proud of them.

I'm on my phone right now, but I'll up load pics when I get home.

Aarg, too much home work ;.;. I'll see if I can find time this weekend.

Edited by Planetfall

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2015, 6:28:11, Spilled Vial said:

You should try making a P-38 Lightning! Those things are awesome!

Actually I'm in the process of just that! Once i finish the P-38 I'm going to overhaul the thread and format it better, along with update every craft and upload quite a few more. It'll be quite a process, especially with finals coming up :( 

On 12/8/2015, 12:37:25, selfish_meme said:

SkisandFloats86.jpg

For when you do the Spitfire

Ooh Seafires are cool - I actually tried it but had some trouble with flipping over on landing, since the CG is too high above the floats and the drag in water it still way too high :confused:

On another note - "When the mechanic installed explosive gear on your P-38"EWnzGpz.png

... I guess I should fix that...

Edited by RixKillian

On 12/10/2015, 3:52:07, Astrofox said:

Very detailed compared to mine.

I find the trick is start with dimensions, make sure you have the proportions and general shape first, and then from there work on fleshing it out. By replicating the shape of the fuseluge closely, the detail tend to come of its own accord. Cheers!

On 12/8/2015, 2:27:10, RixKillian said:

Actually I'm in the process of just that! Once i finish the P-38 I'm going to overhaul the thread and format it better, along with update every craft and upload quite a few more. It'll be quite a process, especially with finals coming up :( 

Awesome! And I get it, I've actually got a final in... about an hour and twenty minutes. From the time this was written. 

Hello all! I've finally had time to really sit down and fix the OP, and I have to say, it's looking spot-on now! Check it out if you didn't see it on the way in! Along with that, I've added two new craft - the Curtiss P-36 Hawk, Mitsubishi A6M Zero, and the long awaited Supermarine Spitfire. Keep in mind the Spitfire might get rebuilt, or at least changed, because it's flight characteristics aren't quite right at the current time. Next craft postings will be the P-38 Lightning, Grumman Avenger (Needs work on the turret), and possibly the PBY Catalina, if I can fix the landing drag problems. Enjoy!

Curtiss P-36 Hawk

The Curtiss P-36 was an American-built fighter that was on the forefront of a new wave of combat aircraft - with a mostly metal monoplane design and a powerful radial engine. This replica is my favorite of those I’ve built, both in terms of flight characteristics and the clean lines.

Parts: 158

Mass: 8.0 tons

Cost: fUODmlmqzcJ4GkH3Sl4W6-2921Sx_gQW0PbVOSWk_75Tyr2BKeo5CziqgqB0YeuClR4UtTXuK4l5CxA3OHCu-jxhmDgMShrzm7OLHqW6itfwnltLGa4bWN1JfnxT4go3By_a2Fg75770

Top Speed: 130 m/s

BDArmory version: Two wing mounted cannons

Stock Version Download

Supermarine Spitfire

While not the most numerous RAF fighter plane in the war, the Spitfire is arguably the most famous - Considered by some to be the quintessential British fighter. This replica, like the actual aircraft, has very sensitive elevator control.

Parts: 146

Mass: 6.9 tons

Cost: fUODmlmqzcJ4GkH3Sl4W6-2921Sx_gQW0PbVOSWk_75Tyr2BKeo5CziqgqB0YeuClR4UtTXuK4l5CxA3OHCu-jxhmDgMShrzm7OLHqW6itfwnltLGa4bWN1JfnxT4go3By_a2Fg143208

Top Speed: 140 m/s

BDArmory version: Two wing mounted cannons

Stock Version Download

BDArmory Version Download

Mitsubishi A6M Zero

The Mitsubishi Zero was a Japanese long range fighter plane, that was widely known in the early war period as the most capable carrier-based fighter. This was primarily due to its long range and excellent maneuverability. Includes a fuel drop-pod and a tailhook for carrier landings.

Parts: 154

Mass: 9.2 tons

Cost: t9HeyMGDhgfmkqnQVXGFa4Txlqi_i_jw-1PjvirIqE9IE9rwgigQ_qDLGy49Fyxx-fSJtxhWhgJAA8nwzrusc5xEEVU-RBndXlf2PGyWbGO4IiX5QZ0cyz-qKEvuSlkjNuQTLqE81360

Top Speed: 125 m/s

BDArmory version: Two wing mounted machine guns, one nose mounted machine gun

Edited by RixKillian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.