[1.12.x] DeepFreeze (v0.31.0) 12th Sep 2021

JPLRepo

35 minutes ago, Azalen said:

Does this work with USI Colonization instead of the Planetary Bases Mod?

In what way? They will not conflict.
Planetary Bases does contain parts specifically for this mod (Glykerol tanks and a freezer base part), whereas USI does not.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In my game, only one freezing device seems to work correctly at any given time. When I freeze kerbals on multiple ships, all but one crew are lost as the freezing devices on all the other ships pretend to be empty and no option to thaw kerbals even pops up. Is that a bug, am I doing something wrong or is that something I just have to learn to live with and only have frozen kerbals on one ship at a time?

Otherwise, I am completely loving the mod. Especially the parts are beautifully done.

EDIT: Not sure if this helps, but I searched the save file and found this:

Spoiler

KerbalInfo
            {
                lastUpdate = 34382937.767235518
                status = Dead
                type = Unowned
                vesselID = d2aad5a2-be3a-4303-9924-4485c108dfe3
                VesselName = Calypso (Jool)
                partID = 3114013113
                seatIdx = 2
                seatName = Seat3
                experienceTraitName = Pilot
                kerbalName = Criseny Kerman
            }
            KerbalInfo
            {
                lastUpdate = 45019431.21384833
                status = Dead
                type = Unowned
                vesselID = 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
                VesselName = 
                partID = 0
                seatIdx = 0
                seatName = 
                experienceTraitName = Pilot
                kerbalName = Joedous Kerman
            }

-> The first one is from the ship that was launched first and in this case, everything works normally. The second one is from the ship launched second and there I am unable to thaw out the crew.

Edited by Aelipse

3 hours ago, Aelipse said:

In my game, only one freezing device seems to work correctly at any given time. When I freeze kerbals on multiple ships, all but one crew are lost as the freezing devices on all the other ships pretend to be empty and no option to thaw kerbals even pops up. Is that a bug, am I doing something wrong or is that something I just have to learn to live with and only have frozen kerbals on one ship at a time?

Otherwise, I am completely loving the mod. Especially the parts are beautifully done.

EDIT: Not sure if this helps, but I searched the save file and found this:

Reveal hidden contents

-> The first one is from the ship that was launched first and in this case, everything works normally. The second one is from the ship launched second and there I am unable to thaw out the crew.

Ah yes. This shouldn't happen. You can only thaw or freeze one kerbal at a time, otherwise bad things happen.
It already does this check in the same part, but it isn't doing it across all parts, I'll add that into the 1.9.x update I'm currently working on.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to install both Kerbalism and DeepFreeze through CKAN ? There is an incompatibility between the two concerning BackgroundProcessing supposedly... DeepFreeze is only recommending it though. Is it a CKAN bug ?

3 hours ago, Dexter9313 said:

Has anyone managed to install both Kerbalism and DeepFreeze through CKAN ? There is an incompatibility between the two concerning BackgroundProcessing supposedly... DeepFreeze is only recommending it though. Is it a CKAN bug ?

You do not need BackgroundProcessing. DeepFreeze contains its own version of what that old mod essentially did. I’m assuming this is some metadata thing with CKAN that says it recommends it. Don’t install it.

From the Op:
Whilst I agree CKAN is a great mod for those that can't use Zip tools. I take no part, nor am I interested in maintaining the CKAN mod metadata for my mods.
Please don't ask me about it but refer to the CKAN mod thread if you are having issues with CKAN or the metadata it maintains.

7 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

You do not need BackgroundProcessing. DeepFreeze contains its own version of what that old mod essentially did. I’m assuming this is some metadata thing with CKAN that says it recommends it. Don’t install it.

From the Op:
Whilst I agree CKAN is a great mod for those that can't use Zip tools. I take no part, nor am I interested in maintaining the CKAN mod metadata for my mods.
Please don't ask me about it but refer to the CKAN mod thread if you are having issues with CKAN or the metadata it maintains.

Oh yeah sorry, didn't notice that in the OP. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 10:30 AM, Idontevenkno said:

Hey so I accidentally set my min temp to zero and now I cant freeze the kerbals can I change this in game or by some other way.

If you mean the difficulty settings?

You can access these for an existing game by bringing up the Pause Menu at the KSC or in flight. Click of the Difficulty button at the top of the window that opens. Then select DeepFreeze on the left side to change the DeepFreeze settings for that save game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am running a 1.7.3 RSS SMURFF + TAC build (and also  the greenhouse mod, REX, Near future suite, Interstellar Extended). I am adding mods into this build as I progress through a career progression (NOT RP-0, just community tech tree). I want to download this down the line when it becomes relevant, just like I downloaded TAC for this build only when I progressed to be able to send Kerbals to the Moon. For the sake of performance, I don't want to download mods until they are necessary. 

1. What tech level do the 1.25m, 2.5m, landing can cryo sets become unlockable? 550:  Specialized Science Tech for 1.25m and single kerbal.   1000 for 3 and 10 kerbals in Long Term Science Tech.  I plan to test in another throwaway game tonight, but I'm curious if it is possible to move these unlockables to later tech tree nodes. For example, if the Mk1 1.25m single in line cryo part is available at the 160 science level, why would anyone bother with the greenhouses or other TAC reprocessing equipment? My thought is for a realisitic gameplay, these all should only be unlocked together around the 1500 science level. Can I manually change that in the cfg files without messing up the Community Tech Tree or corrupting Module Manager, etc?

2. For a manned mission to Titan (lets be real, its more habitable than Mars), a Hohmann transfer takes about 4+ years on the upleg. Have any of you actually done this with DeepFreeze and not with TAC or USI, artificial gravity stations, and greenhouses? Or in other words, is it "realistic" that we as a species irl would use cryosleep for a 4 year voyage to an existing unmanned ground base on Titan and accept the biological risks on awakening? I just don't want to introduce another "tin-can" easy mode to sidestep TAC for a short 4 year mission with cryosleep if the method is only intended for Proxima Centauri and Trappist. 

Thanks all!

Edited by FlyingCardboardbox
found answer to 1.

Sorry, I think that this has been covered above, just thought I was ask again for clarrification.

Do I need the separate mod "BackgroundProcessing"  , I too am installed DeepFreeze via CKAN and cannot uninstall it.  I am not using Kerbalism, rather Snacks and I wasn't sure if I needed this or not?

On 7/11/2020 at 12:08 AM, RP1IsSuperior said:

I think it's realistic, because realistically you would only really use them during transit. While in orbit or performing operations most likely you would be consious.

You are right. After more research, I found an answer I'm satisfied with. Torpor is being researched as a possibility even for trips to Mars. https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20180007195.pdf. This is more akin to hibernation and reduces nutrient intake, rather than total cryosleep. So I'll use Deep Freeze for interplanetary transfers but with the TACLS usage lessened, not nullified until late game. 

On 7/12/2020 at 9:19 PM, gamerscircle said:

Sorry, I think that this has been covered above, just thought I was ask again for clarrification.

Do I need the separate mod "BackgroundProcessing"  , I too am installed DeepFreeze via CKAN and cannot uninstall it.  I am not using Kerbalism, rather Snacks and I wasn't sure if I needed this or not?

No you don't need any separate mod. See the OP for details of mods you can use with this mod and info about unloaded/background resource processing. Which is included with this mod. I don't support CKAN, nor do my mods support installation via CKAN. So I don't know what your issue is there with CKAN.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:28 PM, JPLRepo said:

No you don't need any separate mod. See the OP for details of mods you can use with this mod and info about unloaded/background resource processing. Which is included with this mod. I don't support CKAN, nor do my mods support installation via CKAN. So I don't know what your issue is there with CKAN.

Thank you helping me out here.  I did read on the OP that ModuleManager and Requires Community Resource Pack.

Yes, CKAN installed another mod called, "BackgroundProcessing" - I am going to go ahead and install these mods manually.  Thank you again and sorry for repeating anything that you already called out..

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2020 at 8:07 PM, M.T.F James Blye said:

I have got 2 questions:

Are there going to be larger Glykerol Containers (like 1.25m, 2.5m, etc)?
And, is there a system to produce Glykerol?

A1) Nope.

A2) And not currently... it would be rather simple to add to the existing ISRU converters in the game if we could arrive at a recipe formula.

Some other players were helping me to develop a conversion recipe for glykerol some time ago, which you could probably find if you go back in the thread history, but they disappeared/lost interest I guess.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:03 AM, JPLRepo said:

A1) Nope.

A2) And not currently... it would be rather simple to add to the existing ISRU converters in the game if we could arrive at a recipe formula.

Some other players were helping me to develop a conversion recipe for glykerol some time ago, which you could probably find if you go back in the thread history, but they disappeared/lost interest I guess.

Shot from the hip with bad math. Let's try that again.

If LiquidFuel is kerosene (C12H26) and glykerol is glycerol (C3H8O3), then you could link production up with TACLS and use:

2(C12H26) + 6(H2O) +9(O2) --> 8(C3H8O3)

Have to check the densities of in game resources to balance the masses, but that seems like a reasonable formula

Edited by seanth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.