[1.12.x] DeepFreeze (v0.31.0) 12th Sep 2021

JPLRepo

Well, yes, I agree - we need a 6-Kerbal sleeper. My interplanetary missions are usually 6-Kerbal (two Orion capsules with mk1-2 pods). And I don't aerobrake with large vehicles.

Also, can you add button to IVA that is used to freze crew? LIke on that panel on top of caskets.

I'm launching a new mission now, already got a ship but need a lander.

Ahh yes. So sorry. It did work in V0.17 but it does not now. I know exactly why. OK - in the next version/bug fix (when I figure out the portrait stats issue) I will rectify so you can create your own internal-less freezers.

Oh no problem Repo! Looking forward to any new update when it's there :)

Btw I was wondering about something in general. Can KSP handle a 'part config menu' in the VAB which switches the parts internals between several internal models? Or can a part only handle 1 internal model at a time?

My interplanetary missions are usually 6-Kerbal (two Orion capsules with mk1-2 pods). And I don't aerobrake with large vehicles.

That was my thought reasoning as well. Most of my missions to the inner planets have 6 Kerbals, 2x two crew landers and two engineers staying behind on the orbiting ship.

Not been to Jool on my career save yet, but my sandbox Jool mission designs do mostly have between 8 and 10 Kerbals.

So a 6 cap Cryofreezer could fit in nicely: 1, 3, 6 and 10 :)

Edited by Gkirmathal

Am I the only one who, when thawing out a Kerbal notices that the new Kerbal is different from what they used to look like? I had my Kerbals customised in Texture Replacer but everytime I freeze a Kerbal they come out utterly different, with new faces, new suits and the like.........

Oh no problem Repo! Looking forward to any new update when it's there :)

Btw I was wondering about something in general. Can KSP handle a 'part config menu' in the VAB which switches the parts internals between several internal models? Or can a part only handle 1 internal model at a time?

This is theoretically possible but would be a lot of work due to the way KSP works (loads all models at startup).

- - - Updated - - -

Am I the only one who, when thawing out a Kerbal notices that the new Kerbal is different from what they used to look like? I had my Kerbals customised in Texture Replacer but everytime I freeze a Kerbal they come out utterly different, with new faces, new suits and the like.........

Your kerbals are not following the DeepFreeze instructions. Glykerol causes hair growth, hair loss, feature changes and clothing dye to change/alter.

:cool:

On a more direct response: Yes that would happen due to the way DeepFreeze makes the kerbals freeze and thaw.

I'll put it on the list to look into how this might be possible to make DeepFreeze more compatible with Texture Replacer but I can't guarantee anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems that attaching parts at the very edge of the doors (where one might place, say, solar panels, or extra glykerol tanks in a double symmetry mode) results in it acting as if it where the doors, instead of the body of the part, demonstrated here: http://imgur.com/TvtpCm1

I'll see if we can re-model the doors to make them smaller to allow radial attachment of solar panels on the sides.

This is theoretically possible but would be a lot of work due to the way KSP works (loads all models at startup).

- - - Updated - - -

Your kerbals are not following the DeepFreeze instructions. Glykerol causes hair growth, hair loss, feature changes and clothing dye to change/alter.

:cool:

On a more direct response: Yes that would happen due to the way DeepFreeze makes the kerbals freeze and thaw.

I'll put it on the list to look into how this might be possible to make DeepFreeze more compatible with Texture Replacer but I can't guarantee anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll see if we can re-model the doors to make them smaller to allow radial attachment of solar panels on the sides.

Thanks mate!

Upon further review, the section of the container where the radial attachment tries to latch onto the door goes further back around the piece, about to where the doors presumably end up when retracted.

Upon further review, the section of the container where the radial attachment tries to latch onto the door goes further back around the piece, about to where the doors presumably end up when retracted.

Yes. The model for the part needs to be re-worked. But this will take time.

For me last night when I was playing with it I could attach the parts to the side and back slightly over from the edge of the door. But I think you issue is using symmetry mode it looks at the location of BOTH parts and if one is over the door area then both will not attach.

The reason for this is that the actual door is recessed inside the door edge, so plan is to change the size of the door which should fix the issue.

JcKp7zx.png

Refer to bug tracker item.

Edited by JPLRepo

I have installed Deep Freeze, but Freeze tab in the VAB shows no parts. Is there something I missed?

Possibly. You should have a folder structure that looks like this inside your <KSPInstalldir>\GameData\REPOSoftTech\ folder.

zNI9CVK.png

If you have, try re-install, and failing that I would need log files to diagnose the error.

How are you installing? Manually or by that CKAN contraption?

See this link. And please if you get to this point, it's the output_log.txt file, not the ksp.log file that is of more use.

Just confused about the direction to install in 'game install' instead of KSP's 'Game Data'. Haven't had the chance to confirm, but pretty sure my install does not look like above. Thanks for the guidance, though.

Not sure I am following either.

So you have installed DeepFreeze Continued... The mod works for you except the new part category tab in the VAB is empty?

do the parts appear in the "utility" tab in the VAB?

Or are you having more issues than this?

When you install DeepFreeze Continued... it should be installed in:

<KSPInstalldir>\GameData\REPOSoftTech\DeepFreeze

where <kspinstalldir> is your KSP install directory where you installed KSP.

An update on the various outstanding issues:

1) Radial attachment to the CRY-0300. This has proven to be quite an issue. My initial ideas on what the problem was have been proven incorrect. Work continues on finding a fix for this and I expect to come up with something within the next week.

2) Issue with DMagic's portrait stats mod. A fix has been coded and submitted to DMagic. DMagic just release V6 of portrait stats which includes the fix to make it compatible with DeepFreeze Continued.. So go to his thread over here and download it now.. even if you don't use it yet, you should. This is a great little mod that should be stock.

3) Support for user configured freezer parts. I mentioned v0.17 supported your own parts (that had no internals) but V0.18 has broken this support. I am about 80% through fixing the code to allow you to create your own internal-less freezer parts. But on a side note to that, there has been a fair bit of discussions about 4 kerbal, 6 kerbal, 8 kerbal parts. I don't think that's going to happen. You have to think about gameplay balance and the size of the parts..To be able to create a 4 or 6 or 8 Kerbal freezer you are looking at a part bigger than the CRY-1300 and smaller than the CRY-2300 (but not by much). Weight-wise there isn't going to be much difference. Now that being said, the original plan was for a 1,4 (which was changed to 3) and 10 kerbal parts. Once I fix up the next version you can go ahead and create your own X kerbal parts (although with no internal). But also there is a forgotten part here. Our original plans was for one more part. Which is a 1 kerbal RADIAL freezer. The idea of this part was you can slap it on the side of another part to change your vessel's freezer capacity. IE: Attach two of them radially to a CRY-1300 and ta-da you now have 5 kerbal freezer capacity. and so on... so given these two things I think there is more than enough support for everyone's DeepFreeze capacity needs.

4) Better support for texture replacer - I haven't started work on looking at this yet. but soon...

On the older issue of Life Support Compatibility:

5) Life Support mod compatibility with DeepFreeze Continued....

So far it is KNOWN that DeepFreeze works with Snacks! (although Snacks loads the freezer up with way too many snacks, again a fix has been submitted to this mod author but they have not applied it) and USI LS and with TAC LS (only with my workaround DLLs).

and it should work with Interstellar LS and IonCross.

No one has asked for any other LS support so I assume everyone is happy with this. As far as TAC LS goes - TaranisElsu has had my fix for several months and said he will look at it, but I have heard nothing. I do know he was working on a major upgrade to TAC LS, but not sure when that is due. For now I will continue releasing updates to my patch-workaround until he provides support in the official TAC LS release.

Oh and one last tidbit, there was a certain mod on Modding Monday's this week that the DeepFreeze Continued... team may have started collaborating with. :cool:

Edited by JPLRepo

Possibly. You should have a folder structure that looks like this inside your <KSPInstalldir>\GameData\REPOSoftTech\ folder.

http://i.imgur.com/zNI9CVK.png

If you have, try re-install, and failing that I would need log files to diagnose the error.

How are you installing? Manually or by that CKAN contraption?

See this link. And please if you get to this point, it's the output_log.txt file, not the ksp.log file that is of more use.

Sorry for the delay in replying. My REPOSoftech folder has the contents you indicated, with the exception that 'Agencies' appears above 'DeepFreeze.' My DeepFreeze contents are as listed above, followed by MiniAVC Licence, Mini AVC.dll, etc.

The only sense I get that the mod is installed is the spaceman tab in the VAB that says 'DeepFreeze' items, but its contents are empty. Should I do as the troubleshooting link suggests and move the contents of the REPOSoftech folder outside of DeepFreeze's GameData folder, and place in KSP's GameData? Apologies that I am the least tech-savvy

person on Earth enjoying the KSP experience ;)

EDIT: That appears to have fixed it; thanks! Cheers :)

Edited by OscarJade

2) Issue with DMagic's portrait stats mod. A fix has been coded and submitted to DMagic. DMagic just release V6 of portrait stats which includes the fix to make it compatible with DeepFreeze Continued.. So go to his thread over here and download it now.. even if you don't use it yet, you should. This is a great little mod that should be stock.

3) Support for user configured freezer parts. <snip> But also there is a forgotten part here. Our original plans was for one more part. Which is a 1 kerbal RADIAL freezer.

Great to hear Repo, looking forward to the next release!

About that Radial freezer. I don't know if it's model and internals for it is already done and completed?

If so, please ignore the idea from below, unless you find it interesting ofcource :P

Radial part idea:

You know the wedge components from the Universal Storage mod, wedge shaped models that fit to larger main part.

As in make it a wedge model to be used with the Universal Storage mod.

Could this approach be done and be something to think about for this Radially Attached Freezer?

This way you have only one internal and with US mod installed a player can dictate/choose how many cryo modules he/she want to have.

Great to hear Repo, looking forward to the next release!

About that Radial freezer. I don't know if it's model and internals for it is already done and completed?

If so, please ignore the idea from below, unless you find it interesting ofcource :P

Radial part idea:

You know the wedge components from the Universal Storage mod, wedge shaped models that fit to larger main part.

As in make it a wedge model to be used with the Universal Storage mod.

Could this approach be done and be something to think about for this Radially Attached Freezer?

This way you have only one internal and with US mod installed a player can dictate/choose how many cryo modules he/she want to have.

Thanks for for the suggestions, but we already have something else under way. You won't be disappointed.

An update from two posts ago.

1) I have fixed the CRY-0300 radial attachment issue.

2) user configurable internal-less parts coding and initial testing completed.

3) issue with texture replacer customised kerbal suits etc being replace. I have begun investigations.

will assess tomorrow how long 3) will likely take and decide whether to release a point release for the first two issues.

1) Radial attachment to the CRY-0300. This has proven to be quite an issue. My initial ideas on what the problem was have been proven incorrect. Work continues on finding a fix for this and I expect to come up with something within the next week.

3) Support for user configured freezer parts. I mentioned v0.17 supported your own parts (that had no internals) but V0.18 has broken this support. I am about 80% through fixing the code to allow you to create your own internal-less freezer parts. But on a side note to that, there has been a fair bit of discussions about 4 kerbal, 6 kerbal, 8 kerbal parts. I don't think that's going to happen. You have to think about gameplay balance and the size of the parts..To be able to create a 4 or 6 or 8 Kerbal freezer you are looking at a part bigger than the CRY-1300 and smaller than the CRY-2300 (but not by much). Weight-wise there isn't going to be much difference. Now that being said, the original plan was for a 1,4 (which was changed to 3) and 10 kerbal parts. Once I fix up the next version you can go ahead and create your own X kerbal parts (although with no internal). But also there is a forgotten part here. Our original plans was for one more part. Which is a 1 kerbal RADIAL freezer. The idea of this part was you can slap it on the side of another part to change your vessel's freezer capacity. IE: Attach two of them radially to a CRY-1300 and ta-da you now have 5 kerbal freezer capacity. and so on... so given these two things I think there is more than enough support for everyone's DeepFreeze capacity needs.

4) Better support for texture replacer - I haven't started work on looking at this yet. but soon...

On the older issue of Life Support Compatibility:

5) Life Support mod compatibility with DeepFreeze Continued....

So far it is KNOWN that DeepFreeze works with Snacks! (although Snacks loads the freezer up with way too many snacks, again a fix has been submitted to this mod author but they have not applied it) and USI LS and with TAC LS (only with my workaround DLLs).

and it should work with Interstellar LS and IonCross.

No one has asked for any other LS support so I assume everyone is happy with this. As far as TAC LS goes - TaranisElsu has had my fix for several months and said he will look at it, but I have heard nothing. I do know he was working on a major upgrade to TAC LS, but not sure when that is due. For now I will continue releasing updates to my patch-workaround until he provides support in the official TAC LS release.

Oh and one last tidbit, there was a certain mod on Modding Monday's this week that the DeepFreeze Continued... team may have started collaborating with. :cool:

Sounds good! Looking forward to Texture Replacer compatability =)

Sounds good! Looking forward to Texture Replacer compatability =)

Don't hold your breath. It is not going to be easy due to the way KSP works. My investigations thus far have found that whenever you EVA or switch vessels this problem can occur as well.

It's actually documented as a known issue on the Texture Replacer thread: "Cabin-specific IVA suits don't persist through scene switches while on EVA.".

I don't think this is actually a DeepFreeze bug, as so much as the way KSP works. DeepFreeze extends this known Texture Replacer issue to also include when you thaw a kerbal using DeepFreeze.

It won't be fixable within DeepFreeze but will require fixes on the Texture Replacer mod, if at all possible. I have started a conversation with shaw who is the main author of Texture Replacer mod.

MAybe you can just add internal freezer as prop? SO users can put it into their own or even stock IVA's, as much of them as the want.

Good idea but would not work currently due to the implementation parameters of the DeepFreeze code.

Great to see this mod maintained and updated so nicely, wonderful job!

I haven't been using it until now but started a new sandbox game for doing some OPM interplanetary stuff and figured I'd use Deep Freeze instead carrying 24651424 years of life support. :P Ran into a problem though. On the first test ship I ran with a CRY-1300 freezer and while attempting to freeze a kerbal it repeatedly spooled through all 3000 EC and the Glykerol resource until it was all used up, never froze the kerbal and spammed the log with this every time the freezing process reset:

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentsInChildren[Renderer] (Boolean includeInactive) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DF.Utilities.setFrznKerbalLayer (.ProtoCrewMember kerbal, Boolean setVisible, Boolean bodyOnly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DF.DeepFreezer.FreezeKerbalConfirm (.ProtoCrewMember CrewMember) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DF.DeepFreezer.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I do run an EXTREMELY heavily modded game and I am running TACLS but have pulled down your .dll fix and was running that. I don't know if there is some conflict arising with one of the many mods I have or what but figured I'd drop this in here for you. Just for info's sake, I tried each one of the freezers after getting this initial error and it repeated for all parts. None of them are working for me at all. If you'd like to see log files I've got them saved and can get them to you if needed.

I haven't been using it until now but started a new sandbox game for doing some OPM interplanetary stuff and figured I'd use Deep Freeze instead carrying 24651424 years of life support. :P Ran into a problem though. On the first test ship I ran with a CRY-1300 freezer and while attempting to freeze a kerbal it repeatedly spooled through all 3000 EC and the Glykerol resource until it was all used up, never froze the kerbal and spammed the log with this every time the freezing process reset:

NullReferenceException

at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentsInChildren[Renderer] (Boolean includeInactive) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DF.Utilities.setFrznKerbalLayer (.ProtoCrewMember kerbal, Boolean setVisible, Boolean bodyOnly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DF.DeepFreezer.FreezeKerbalConfirm (.ProtoCrewMember CrewMember) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I do run an EXTREMELY heavily modded game and I am running TACLS but have pulled down your .dll fix and was running that. I don't know if there is some conflict arising with one of the many mods I have or what but figured I'd drop this in here for you. Just for info's sake, I tried each one of the freezers after getting this initial error and it repeated for all parts. None of them are working for me at all. If you'd like to see log files I've got them saved and can get them to you if needed.

I understand the error - as in it would seem DeepFreeze can't find your kerbal to make him disappear (ahem) Freeze... But why it is happening I cannot tell just from the error message.

I'd guess it's some mod conflict to do with IVA's or the actual Kerbals given no one else has reported this error. Do you have any mods that modify Internals, IVAs, or Kerbals (like texture replacer) installed?

Please post a output_log.txt (not the ksp.log) (as per the modded install support steps) if you want me to look at your issue any further.

NullReferenceException

This was occurring in my game and a quick F5 then F9 fixed the issue. My random guess is that it has something to do with CLS or Ship manifest or maybe a conflict of having both.

This was occurring in my game and a quick F5 then F9 fixed the issue. My random guess is that it has something to do with CLS or Ship manifest or maybe a conflict of having both.

Ah, yes. Ship Manifest - currently there is a bug (see the known issues). Waiting for Papa_Joe to update SM. So if you are using that, could be the cause.

CLS - Shouldn't matter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.