[1.12.x] DeepFreeze (v0.31.0) 12th Sep 2021

JPLRepo

Hi, I already have this mod but I have some problems with this, first: when I choose any freezing camera in the window resources, don't appears the resource called glykerol, second: due this in the moment when try to freeze a kerbal in the freezing camera simply I can't.
How can I fix these problems?? Any solutions??

I may have broken the game with this mod by doing something a bit silly:

- Froze a Kerbal in LKO;

- Brought the craft down to the surface;

- Recovered craft with Kerbal still frozen inside it'

- Kerbal disappears from the roster, all the scenery disappears from KSC view. Upon closer inspection of the save file the Kerbal is listed as 'unowned' and 'dead'. Looking through the logs I found these entries:

10/11/2020 7:03:11 PM,DeepFreeze,Adding dead unknown kerbal Sally Kerman AKA FROZEN kerbal to DeepFreeze List

10/11/2020 7:05:34 PM,DeepFreeze,Found orphaned Frozen Kerbal Entry in Database for Sally Kerman Deleting entry

Perhaps there should be a warning in-game about recovering crafts with frozen Kerbals, or else a way for the game to un-freeze them during recovery?

14 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I may have broken the game with this mod by doing something a bit silly:

- Froze a Kerbal in LKO;

- Brought the craft down to the surface;

- Recovered craft with Kerbal still frozen inside it'

- Kerbal disappears from the roster, all the scenery disappears from KSC view. Upon closer inspection of the save file the Kerbal is listed as 'unowned' and 'dead'. Looking through the logs I found these entries:

Perhaps there should be a warning in-game about recovering crafts with frozen Kerbals, or else a way for the game to un-freeze them during recovery?

It already does. So something clearly broke for you.
Would need the logs from when you recovered the vessel to investigate further.

You should be able to recovery your save from the automatic backup KSP makes.

I get that remotetech, if installed, should require a connection to change the programming on the freezer units, but I find it very hard to believe that a civilization capable of doing a freeze/thaw wouldn't have simple timer based thaw functions on the units.  You know, like microwave ovens and alarm clocks?  If I still messed with RT that would be a deal breaker for me.  In fact, any information that the ship computer/sensors would know of, like time, or an SOI change, should be enough to wake the crew, or at least, in KSP, allow the player to wake them without a remotetech connection

Edited by darthgently

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@JPLRepo Does Glykerol have a presumed volume (liters per in-game unit)? The resource definition in CRP does not define it. I was trying to figure out if it was more like typical stock resources (5L/unit) or most CRP resources (1L/unit)... but if the density of Glykerol (0.012 metric tons per KSP unit) is similar to real-life glycerol (1.261 kg/L), then it would be 10L/unit. :confused:

Having a defined volume for glykerol would facilitate adding tankage for it to parts in other mods. Thanks!

Edit:

Found some clues regarding the original design/intent back in ~2014... Evidently it's supposed to be 1L/unit (five liters per freeze) but also one-tenth its implemented density. Want me to submit a pull request to CRP?

On 12/1/2014 at 10:09 PM, scottpaladin said:

Hm... I think you're right.

I had pulled my original density value from the entry for water in the CRP way back when I first started working on this but it would appear that I probably screwed up the decimal place. So that'll be fixed next time I push an update.

If anybody wants to implement the fix themselves just edit the cfg:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION{
   name = Glykerol
   density = 0.0012
   flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
   transfer = PUMP
   isTweakable = true
   unitCost = 0.8
}

Edited by PocketBrotector

On 3/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, JPLRepo said:

You do not need BackgroundProcessing. DeepFreeze contains its own version of what that old mod essentially did. I’m assuming this is some metadata thing with CKAN that says it recommends it. Don’t install it.

No, the bundled copy of BackgroundResources in this mod conflicted with the bundled copy of BackgroundResources in the TACLS mod (which is indexed as its own mod in CKAN for just this reason), so we switched it to a dependency between the two.

To be clear, you're saying it's safe to remove the copy of BackgroundResources.dll that's included in this mod's download?

Edited by HebaruSan

On 12/23/2020 at 2:14 AM, HebaruSan said:

No, the bundled copy of BackgroundResources in this mod conflicted with the real BackgroundResources mod, so we switched it to a dependency between the two.

To be clear, you're saying it's safe to remove the copy of BackgroundResources.dll that's included in this mod's download?

I don't follow CKAN. Which is why I recommend manually installing.

Here is what I am saying.
There is a BackgroundResources.dll that is distributed with this mod. That is the one the player should use. The player should not use any other Background / Unloaded Resources Mod with any of my mods. I'm not sure what the real BackgroundResources mod is? I only know of a Background Processing Mod , which was abandoned a while ago and I wrote my own BackgroundResources plugin that I now include with some of my mods. (it is not a stand-alone distribution).

Players should not use this mod with any of my mods.

16 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

There is a BackgroundResources.dll that is distributed with this mod. That is the one the player should use. The player should not use any other Background / Unloaded Resources Mod with any of my mods. I'm not sure what the real BackgroundResources mod is?

OK, I misunderstood; thanks for the clarification: It's a bundled-only mod that's bundled in multiple mods. "The real BackgroundResources mod" just referred to the one pulled from TACLS; I did not check the full sourcing of that identifier before commenting. Updated my above comment to clarify.

16 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

I only know of a Background Processing Mod , which was abandoned a while ago and I wrote my own BackgroundResources plugin that I now include with some of my mods. (it is not a stand-alone distribution).

Players should not use this mod with any of my mods.

Don't worry, BackgroundProcessing is not involved here.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:20 AM, Nemoksp said:

buenas actualmente tengo la versión 1.3.0.1 de KSP, e instale este mod, pero cuando abro un partida me aparecen las piezas pero no me aparece ninguna opción para congelar a los kerbals. como podría solucionar el problema... Muchas gracias.

Sorry my Spanish is pretty rusty. And there's a forum rule that you have to post in English unless you are posting in the foreign language sections of the forum.
(Lo siento, mi español está bastante oxidado. Y hay una regla del foro que debe publicar en inglés a menos que esté publicando en las secciones de idiomas extranjeros del foro.)
Why are you running KSP 1.3.0.1 that is such an old version?
If you insist on running that version. you must run the version of the mods that correspond to that version of KSP.
Which would be this one: https://github.com/JPLRepo/DeepFreeze/releases/tag/V0.23.5.0

On 12/21/2020 at 2:34 AM, PocketBrotector said:

@JPLRepo Does Glykerol have a presumed volume (liters per in-game unit)? The resource definition in CRP does not define it. I was trying to figure out if it was more like typical stock resources (5L/unit) or most CRP resources (1L/unit)... but if the density of Glykerol (0.012 metric tons per KSP unit) is similar to real-life glycerol (1.261 kg/L), then it would be 10L/unit. :confused:

Having a defined volume for glykerol would facilitate adding tankage for it to parts in other mods. Thanks!

Edit:

Found some clues regarding the original design/intent back in ~2014... Evidently it's supposed to be 1L/unit (five liters per freeze) but also one-tenth its implemented density. Want me to submit a pull request to CRP?

Oh, thanks for all that detective work. Nice find.
I missed the bit about you were asking if I wanted you to submit a PR and I already did one. Be in next CRP release I imagine.
https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/pull/257

V0.30.0 published for KSP 1.11.x. See OP for download links.

Re-Compile for KSP 1.11.x
Add EVA construction capabilities to the CRY-300R (Can move it only, can't put in inventories) and the RS-X20R Glykerol Container (can be put in inventories as well).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/23/2021 at 12:28 PM, dave1904 said:

When I have some kerbals frozen and go into iva I can hear the mon_beep.wav sound effect all the time. Any way to turn it off? 

Did you ever find this out? Love the mod but want to turn the beep off

• 1 month later...

I added DF in the middle of a career game, have the entire tech tree unlocked, but none of the DF parts are showing up.  Probably because I added it mid-game.  Is there any way I can edit a file to get them to show up?  Again, I have the entire tech tree unlocked already, but unfortunately prior to adding the mod.  Thanks

Nvrmnd.  They aren't showing when searching for CRY, or DEEP, or GLYK, but I did find them via brute force.  Maybe some keywords need to be set for searching?  Anyway, looks fun

Edited by darthgently

• 3 weeks later...

Are you not supposed to be able to freeze kerbals when using heat requirements on planets?

Kerbin, for example, on the launchpad, has a temp of 31 degrees celsius. In space this isn't a problem, showing -81 or so degrees celsius.

No matter how many radiators I throw onto the cryo pod I can't get the temperature of the part to decrease even the tiniest bit below 31 degrees celsius

Is this a limitation of KSPs heat handling or a feature of the mod? I figured it would just be harder to keep Kerbals frozen on certain planets, not impossible. It seems that unless the planet has an ambient temperature below freezing, there is no way to reduce that. Like even an EC powered refrigerating function.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get the mod to work properly, My kerbals freeze then after a vessel change become de-associated from the ship and i can't thaw them apart from at the space center, and even if they stay associated i get an error when thawing them and and the thaw is aborted... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 8:30 AM, rudemario said:

Are you not supposed to be able to freeze kerbals when using heat requirements on planets?

Kerbin, for example, on the launchpad, has a temp of 31 degrees celsius. In space this isn't a problem, showing -81 or so degrees celsius.

No matter how many radiators I throw onto the cryo pod I can't get the temperature of the part to decrease even the tiniest bit below 31 degrees celsius

Is this a limitation of KSPs heat handling or a feature of the mod? I figured it would just be harder to keep Kerbals frozen on certain planets, not impossible. It seems that unless the planet has an ambient temperature below freezing, there is no way to reduce that. Like even an EC powered refrigerating function.

Will look into this. In the meantime you can turn off the setting to integrate the pod with the temperature in the difficulty settings.

On 6/9/2021 at 4:55 AM, DOOM89 said:

I can't get the mod to work properly, My kerbals freeze then after a vessel change become de-associated from the ship and i can't thaw them apart from at the space center, and even if they stay associated i get an error when thawing them and and the thaw is aborted... 

No logs = No support, sorry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.