[1.12.x] DeepFreeze (v0.31.0) 12th Sep 2021

JPLRepo

ok thx, i didnt know that

what you think about Itsdavyjones suggestion for a save mode?

So certainly I could make a less fatal consequences optional. So if the part overheats it uses more EC. What haaens if EC runs out? How about they automatically thaw - but in a comatose state for a period of time. They start using LS supplies again obviously and then they become active again.. I'm waiting for any other ideas to be put forward... If part overheats ___ happens. If EC runs out ____ happens. Fill in the blanks. No one wants or has any other ideas?

OK, so something else we have been working on. We have created a DeepFreeze part for the Kerbal Planetary Base System by Nils277. The parts will include a base part - The CRY-5000 - with a 4 kerbal capacity and a Glykerol tank that fit in with the KPBS mod parts and styles. Nils277 will be releasing these parts as part of his mod (in the next day or two). So head over to his mod thread for more details and the release of these parts. You will need his Mod for the parts (when he releases) and DeepFreeze Continued... V0.18.2.0 if you want these glorious parts for your bases.

The CRY-5000 includes a Glykerol tank on-board, 4 cryopods, animated Lightstrips, the new V0.18.2.0 pod window animations and supports RPM Transparent pods feature and props.

http://i.imgur.com/gvpQbL7.png

http://i.imgur.com/wSWLZoe.png

http://i.imgur.com/zeUwRZ7.png

http://i.imgur.com/5OLwCoA.png

There has been a delay in Nils277 releasing the DeepFreeze parts for Kerbal Planetary Base System as there were some compatibility issues that we had to sort out. But that is now all done and I expect he will be releasing it in the next couple of days.

So certainly I could make a less fatal consequences optional. So if the part overheats it uses more EC. What haaens if EC runs out? How about they automatically thaw - but in a comatose state for a period of time. They start using LS supplies again obviously and then they become active again.. I'm waiting for any other ideas to be put forward... If part overheats ___ happens. If EC runs out ____ happens. Fill in the blanks. No one wants or has any other ideas?

The auto thaw method you mentioned sounds good, but what should happen is that there is a chance that the crew member is usless, since it is relatively uncontrolled thawing, having a 10% or less chance that the kerbal can become a vegetable and be useless until returned to Kerbin.

Don't hold your breath. It is not going to be easy due to the way KSP works. My investigations thus far have found that whenever you EVA or switch vessels this problem can occur as well.

It's actually documented as a known issue on the Texture Replacer thread: "Cabin-specific IVA suits don't persist through scene switches while on EVA.".

I don't think this is actually a DeepFreeze bug, as so much as the way KSP works. DeepFreeze extends this known Texture Replacer issue to also include when you thaw a kerbal using DeepFreeze.

It won't be fixable within DeepFreeze but will require fixes on the Texture Replacer mod, if at all possible. I have started a conversation with shaw who is the main author of Texture Replacer mod.

Ok, a fix to make Texture Replacer compatible with DeepFreeze is nearing completion. Expect an update to Texture Replacer in the near future (days?) - it has already been tested.

I can then add Texture Replacer support into the next version of DeepFreeze. So any customised Kerbals will no longer lose their customised textures when they are frozen/thawed (as is currently occurring with current versions).

I'm getting an exception that causes my ship to fly off to no where when switching vessels. The error is in DFIntMemory and it occurs during onVesselChange when resetFreezerCams is called. I'm using the TAC fix that you posted.

Here's my logs. Output Log. KSP Log.

These are the mods I'm using currently.

F7HUZ1z.png

I'll try and get more info later tonight. Thanks for your time!

Edited by Spaceghöst

I'm getting an exception that causes my ship to fly off to no where when switching vessels. The error is in DFIntMemory and it occurs during onVesselChange when resetFreezerCams is called. I'm using the TAC fix that you posted.

Here's my logs. Output Log. KSP Log.

These are the mods I'm using currently.

http://i.imgur.com/F7HUZ1z.png

I'll try and get more info later tonight. Thanks for your time!

The logs are very helpful thanks, probably don't need any more information for now.

Just to confirm: It looks like this is happening to you with multiple vessels? not just the same vessel? Does it only happen when you switch from one vessel to another? or when loading a vessel from tracking station or all of the above? What DeepFreeze parts do these vessels have on them?

I'll look into it and try to turn around a fix as quickly as I can. (next few days).

It looks like this is happening to you with multiple vessels? not just the same vessel? Does it only happen when you switch from one vessel to another? or when loading a vessel from tracking station or all of the above? What DeepFreeze parts do these vessels have on them?

I have two vessels that are in Kerbin orbit. One vessel has two crew and no DF parts and another vessel has four crew with the largest cryo part. If I switch to the tracking station from either vessel and then back to a vessel the exception occurs. The issue doesn't happen the first time I load the game and select a vessel from the tracking station. Although after an exception occurs I have to completely close the KSP.exe for the problem to go away. I haven't tried directly switching from vessel to vessel yet. Also, the cryo chamber is empty.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

UPDATE: Might be an issue with RemoteTech compatibility. I removed the current RemoteTech reference from the source folder and pointed it to the recent RemoteTech.dll in my KSP folder. I also removed the code for the USI life support mod. After recompiling everything works like normal.

If any else comes up I'll let you know! I need to test more.

Edited by Spaceghöst
additional info

I have two vessels that are in Kerbin orbit. One vessel has two crew and no DF parts and another vessel has four crew with the largest cryo part. If I switch to the tracking station from either vessel and then back to a vessel the exception occurs. The issue doesn't happen the first time I load the game and select a vessel from the tracking station. Although after an exception occurs I have to completely close the KSP.exe for the problem to go away. I haven't tried directly switching from vessel to vessel yet. Also, the cryo chamber is empty.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

UPDATE: Might be an issue with RemoteTech compatibility. I removed the current RemoteTech reference from the source folder and pointed it to the recent RemoteTech.dll in my KSP folder. I also removed the code for the USI life support mod. After recompiling everything works like normal.

If any else comes up I'll let you know! I need to test more.

Ah yes, there is a problem with how I am checking for other mods installed. RemoteTech has been updated recently so that most likely is broken..

working on a fix to not fail on wrong versions of other mods installed.

I also had a fix for your error already in place for the next version which occurs when DFIntMemory tries to reset the internal cameras before they exist. So it is an unrelated separate bug.

The latest dev version can be downloaded here.

Beware: this is a dev version, it has not been properly tested, and is probably full of bees (or bugs). Use at your OWN Risk. You have been warned. I do not support the dev builds.

Edited by JPLRepo

Beware: this is a dev version, it has not been properly tested, and is probably full of bees (or bugs). Use at your OWN Risk. You have been warned. I do not support the dev builds.

I love bees! Ow, stop! Ouch! Oh, honey! Mmmmmm...

I appreciate your quick response. I'll mess around with the DEV build for now and will make sure not to pester you about it. :P

I love bees! Ow, stop! Ouch! Oh, honey! Mmmmmm...

I appreciate your quick response. I'll mess around with the DEV build for now and will make sure not to pester you about it. :P

Well if you want to be a tester, by all means. :wink:

Let me know if it fixes your issues or not.

Right, forgot to mention! Works great. Smooth like honey butter. :D

I'll make sure to put it through rigorous testing. Going to load up the cryo3000 full of Kerbals soon, then off to Duna for a month or so cryo snooze.

Ok thanks, that's good to know then. There are still some fixes and finishing to do and I will release a new version.

There is a new feature or two in there that aren't quite complete (non-fatal/fatal EC usage option), be careful using those, I definitely have not tested that part of the code change yet.

Am I the only one getting this Deep Freeze error? I have been checking the forums to find similar issues but to no avail. Sorry if this has been covered and is a simple issue but having few crafts going and freezing multiple kerbals in their respective ships and bases for a time warp session, sometimes returning to a craft and trying to unfreeze them I get the message "error code cannot thaw kerbal at this time, check logs" And the kerbals are forever trapped frozen in their pods no matter what I do. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any known fixes? Just trying to get a handle on if this is a known mod compatibility issue (I have a few mods, KSP v1.04 x32b) or a known bug. (I can give more details and logs but just trying to find out if it sounds familiar to anyone first.) Thanx! P.S. I love this mod! :D

Am I the only one getting this Deep Freeze error? I have been checking the forums to find similar issues but to no avail. Sorry if this has been covered and is a simple issue but having few crafts going and freezing multiple kerbals in their respective ships and bases for a time warp session, sometimes returning to a craft and trying to unfreeze them I get the message "error code cannot thaw kerbal at this time, check logs" And the kerbals are forever trapped frozen in their pods no matter what I do. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any known fixes? Just trying to get a handle on if this is a known mod compatibility issue (I have a few mods, KSP v1.04 x32b) or a known bug. (I can give more details and logs but just trying to find out if it sounds familiar to anyone first.) Thanx! P.S. I love this mod! :D

For help I need logs. As it says in the message "check logs".

Please follow the support instructions here. I need the detailed output Logs as per bullet 1 about halfway down the page. NOT the Ksp.log. It would also help if you go into DeepFreeze settings at the KSC and turn Debugging option ON before replicating the error and capturing the logs (yes this will create lag while you do it, but the extra log info it writes will help).

Hi JPLRepo.

Can I make a small request?? Can you possibly change the icon for the VAB section from a kerbal to possibly a snowflake icon that is included in the stock icons???

Love this mod and thanks for saving it from death

:D

I'll look into it.

EDIT: Done, will be in the next version:

MHROrkB.png

Edited by JPLRepo

I'm sorry for being a bother, but I did a search of the thread and wanted to double-check: this mod is not compatible with IFI currently, right?

It's an incredibly exciting prospect for my first mission to Duna, but I'm fairly committed to IFI. Perfectly understandable if JPLRepo isn't going to offer compatibility himself, I just wanted to check.

I'm sorry for being a bother, but I did a search of the thread and wanted to double-check: this mod is not compatible with IFI currently, right?

It's an incredibly exciting prospect for my first mission to Duna, but I'm fairly committed to IFI. Perfectly understandable if JPLRepo isn't going to offer compatibility himself, I just wanted to check.

I have never actually tested with IFI, but from my initial investigations:

Interstellar Flight LS - appears to only check active crew on vessels when consuming resources. So should be compatible with DeepFreeze. Requires someone to test and confirm.

Basically I checked the IFI code out, and concluded that the way IFI works is it only checks vessels for active crew when consuming IFI resources. Given DeepFreeze actually REMOVES frozen crew from the vessel it 'should' be compatible.

But I never actually tested it out.

I would recommend making a copy of your install and trying it out and report back to us all if it works or not.

New Development build (V0.18.2.2) is available on Github only. If anyone wants to try out the new features for what will be V0.18.3.0 when released.

Have completed second round of testing of the code for these changes and fixed some bugs. Will be doing another round of final testing and releasing V0.18.3.0 in the coming days.

I have never actually tested with IFI, but from my initial investigations:

Interstellar Flight LS - appears to only check active crew on vessels when consuming resources. So should be compatible with DeepFreeze. Requires someone to test and confirm.

Basically I checked the IFI code out, and concluded that the way IFI works is it only checks vessels for active crew when consuming IFI resources. Given DeepFreeze actually REMOVES frozen crew from the vessel it 'should' be compatible.

But I never actually tested it out.

I would recommend making a copy of your install and trying it out and report back to us all if it works or not.

I'm honored for the privilege of helping! (and happy for any excuse that actually makes me return to KSP with a clear sense of purpose--currently, I spend 90% of my time in game trying to fix bugs).

I'll get the most recent update and give it a try (I also have an insane number of saves, since I save my game roughly once a week in-game time) and report my findings.

EDIT: Well, I finally got of my duff, fixed a few more bugs in my KSP installation, and checked with the three person hibernation capsule--it does seem to work with IFI (hibernating each crewmember one by one, my onboard life support tripled, and then was untracked entirely). I guess the final test will be when I thaw Valentina and company, but it seems to work!

Edited by Synthesis

I've got a bug report. Log and persistent.sfs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jtnkbvg4bl2xjeh/AADHX6q2aSS6-B3gNPlGzJ9Ca?dl=0

I built a ship (Explorer 1), then docked it to my space station (TC2). Put Kerbals into the freezer, froze them (while docked), then undocked the ship, and then made a few modifications to the ship (with KIS).

When I went to unfreeze them (thankfully before the interplanetary journey), I couldn't. No Kerbals in the frozen list.

Looking at the save file, DeepFreeze saved them in SCENARIO{DFGameSettings{KerbalInfo{}}} against "vesselID = 6201018e-5580-48b6-9785-f655b44769cb" which doesn't exist, but presumably used to be TC2 (I also modified that station heavily using KIS). I changed that to c4792c2b-50e8-4e50-a3b9-67a166b6cfff to match the PartInfo{} vesselID of the actual freezer, as well as the actual ship:

VESSEL
{
pid = c4792c2b50e84e50a3b967a166b6cfff
name = Explorer 1

Now the Kerbals show up in the list! But I can't unfreeze them. Pressing "Thaw" says "Code Error: Cannot thaw kerbal at this time / Thawing Aborted / Cannot thaw kerbal at this time". The log is full of "Argument is out of range" spam.

I'll try to fix this by save file hackery (probably just restoring them to "live" and then re-freezing), but this brings up some questions:

1. Do you test against the vessel ID changing, via freezing and then undocking, or just moving the freezer (with frozen Kerbals inside) from one ship to another via KIS?

2. If I change the vesselID of the freezer and then freeze Kerbals, is that safe? I can live with a restriction of "don't modify the ship while frozen Kerbals are aboard" but I do need to dock/undock and modify ships with KIS.

It seems to me that storing the frozen Kerbals in the PartModule instead of the global SCENARIO{} would avoid the vesselID issues, but might not let you access their data while focused on another ship (the global Alarm window and such). Maybe just have each PartModule store which Kerbals are frozen on board, and update the vesselID in SCENARIO{}? I don't know the solution, just throwing things out there.

I've got a bug report. Log and persistent.sfs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jtnkbvg4bl2xjeh/AADHX6q2aSS6-B3gNPlGzJ9Ca?dl=0

I built a ship (Explorer 1), then docked it to my space station (TC2). Put Kerbals into the freezer, froze them (while docked), then undocked the ship, and then made a few modifications to the ship (with KIS).

When I went to unfreeze them (thankfully before the interplanetary journey), I couldn't. No Kerbals in the frozen list.

Looking at the save file, DeepFreeze saved them in SCENARIO{DFGameSettings{KerbalInfo{}}} against "vesselID = 6201018e-5580-48b6-9785-f655b44769cb" which doesn't exist, but presumably used to be TC2 (I also modified that station heavily using KIS). I changed that to c4792c2b-50e8-4e50-a3b9-67a166b6cfff to match the PartInfo{} vesselID of the actual freezer, as well as the actual ship:

VESSEL
{
pid = c4792c2b50e84e50a3b967a166b6cfff
name = Explorer 1

Now the Kerbals show up in the list! But I can't unfreeze them. Pressing "Thaw" says "Code Error: Cannot thaw kerbal at this time / Thawing Aborted / Cannot thaw kerbal at this time". The log is full of "Argument is out of range" spam.

I'll try to fix this by save file hackery (probably just restoring them to "live" and then re-freezing), but this brings up some questions:

1. Do you test against the vessel ID changing, via freezing and then undocking, or just moving the freezer (with frozen Kerbals inside) from one ship to another via KIS?

2. If I change the vesselID of the freezer and then freeze Kerbals, is that safe? I can live with a restriction of "don't modify the ship while frozen Kerbals are aboard" but I do need to dock/undock and modify ships with KIS.

It seems to me that storing the frozen Kerbals in the PartModule instead of the global SCENARIO{} would avoid the vesselID issues, but might not let you access their data while focused on another ship (the global Alarm window and such). Maybe just have each PartModule store which Kerbals are frozen on board, and update the vesselID in SCENARIO{}? I don't know the solution, just throwing things out there.

Thank you for the extensive bug report info.

Yes, DeepFreeze stores frozen kerbals against the SCENARIO rather than in the PartModule. This is so it can be accessed from anywhere in the game, such as another vessel (when the part is unloaded), etc and given there are Electrical Charge and Heat usage and monitoring that occurs all the time in game, this is required.

I am unfamiliar with how KIS operates and was not aware it can remove parts from vessels. It would be safe to say at this stage that DeepFreeze is NOT compatible with KIS. I will have to investigate how KIS removes parts, renames vessels, etc to see if it is using standard KSP GameEvents or not.

I will check the GameEvents that DeepFreeze uses and check that standard docking, un-docking and renaming still works.

Rather than your game save hack, DeepFreeze does allow you to Thaw Frozen Kerbals from the Space Center (they will re-appear in the Astronaut Center back at KSC) if they are no longer associated with a valid vesselID. So you could try that.

Update: I deleted my DeepFreeze SCENARIO{} and put the 3 Kerbals into the command pod. EVA'd them for good measure, then I was able to freeze and thaw them at will.

- - - Updated - - -

Rather than your game save hack, DeepFreeze does allow you to Thaw Frozen Kerbals from the Space Center (they will re-appear in the Astronaut Center back at KSC) if they are no longer associated with a valid vesselID. So you could try that.

I just saw this, so I tried it with the broken save. It did let me thaw from the main menu:

VmRuCMJ.png

But the Kerbals did not appear in the ship:

ZhORHTU.png

In the save file, the Kerbals were revived (type = Crew, state = Available) - but just weren't placed on a ship.

DF.DeepFreeze[FFE86B62][475.67]: DeepFreezeEvents ThawFrozenCrew = Valentina Kerman,6201018e-55
80-48b6-9785-f655b44769cb
DF.DeepFreeze[FFE86B62][475.67]: Took funds to thaw kerbal
[KS Exp] onKerbalTypeChange: Valentina Kerman Unowned Crew

So thanks for the quick response, but save file hackery it is :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.