Dead Kerbals.

chd

I was planning to plant a flag in memory of every dead kerbal but I've actually managed to play the current career with no fatalities. I've been busy with rescue operations however.

Nearly killed Jeb, water landing of an airplane. Everything but the cockpit was destroyed.

Nearly killed Val, rocket breakup. But I had her bailout and hit "j" so she hit the ground and bounced. Suitable substitute for an election seat AFAIC.

I did use f9 a bunch to get an unmanned mun probe to land and NOT fall over though :)

Val fell off the roof after a spectacular landing on the control tower over at the airfield.

She landed on her helmet and survived.

She was not so lucky when the flight computer got removed from her craft file and she fell through a wormhole, never to be seen again.

Bob died on an atmospheric EVA while experimenting with a strange rumor that ever since May the atmosphere became hotter than it was before that time in recorded Kerbal history.

Turns out that the atmosphere was actually quite a bit hotter than it was before, and Bob rapidly burnt up after 5 seconds outside the pod.

Since then my Space Program has been on the frontier of Global Warming research, and has made commitments to reduce our Karbon Footprint. We are also working closely with the R&D department looking into more heat resistant space suits, to avoid another catastrophe.

We are chieftly concerned that if the temperature continues to rise that we could lose the ice cap biomes in the next 50-100 years, which would also cause a rise of the sea level. Since KSC is a coastal community, the future survival of the race has been called into question, and the viability of a mountain based KSC is being discussed.

Well I play with no reverts and so far I'm about 70 missions in and not a single dead Kerbal. Even Bob is alive (He has a 0% survival rate since like .18 savegames) Valentina has crashed not 1 but 2 spaceplanes, but has miraculously walked away from both. Not that I haven't screwed up launches... I've lost about 4 or 5 payloads into the sea. But I always over-engineer manned missions. Satellite launches are done bottom dollar. (Where fins really not in the budget Mortimer?)

I hope I didn't just jinx you Bob.... You are on your way to Moho right now... and....We don't talk about Moho...

It's really difficult to kill things in this game. Between revert and quicksave, you really gotta eff up bad to actually ruin a mission.

Even without those kerbals are surprisingly hard to kill...

You know unless you drop a 30 ton crane on top of them from the VAB like I did last night...

In my last two career games, I've only killed one Kerbal.

Then again, all of my rockets go through a strict design and testing phase, and I do a full preflight briefing and check before launching anything.

New missions are always rehearsed before being attempted.

Basically, I take no risky chances unless absolutely necessary, and I always have redundant safety features.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.