Low Tech Mun Mission

I've been trying for a few days now to get a working Mun mission using only the first 2 levels of the tech tree. Craft size isn't a problem, as I've got the VAB and launch pad fully upgraded. I just don't have the ability to make a ship that doesn't wobble itself to death.

Any ideas on how to do extremely low tech missions like this? I can make a ship with the delta-v necessary that isn't too gargantuan, but all the construction techniques I've tried lead to a ship which is too unstable in the lower stages to get out of the atmosphere.

Suggestions on getting to the next tech level are not welcome. The Mun mission was a self imposed challenge that I've failed, and I'm curious to see how other people do it (I'm fairly confident it can be done). Getting to the next tech level is trivially easy, anyways.

General low-tech construction techniques are welcome, though.

EDIT: I should make some clarifications. This is a one Kerbal land and return mission. Science isn't necessary. I'd really prefer not to use the jetpack, but if your idea uses it it should be limited to one use (outside of messing around on the surface). The kerbal has to survive. The mission must only use parts from the first 2 levels of the tech tree (the tech you start with being the first level), and should be doable in career mode with a fully upgraded VAB and launchpad. Funds are irrelevant. Craft survival is irrelevant.Your culture will adapt to service us.

Edited by Jodo42

This ship went to Minmus on Tier-1 parts, which I *think* is what you meant by "first 2 tiers". It's from before 1.0 so it may have some aerodynamics issues, but it also has 1200 more dV than it needs now so I suspect, as long as you can keep it from flipping out, it'll make it. Of course, there may be parts in there that aren't in the first 2 tiers now but I don't think so.

Generally any ship that can go to Minmus and back can also go to Mun and back (provided it has the TWR) so, other than being afraid of landing on the engine bell and/or falling over, I think this ship'd be fine. Maybe with some minor tweaks.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I don't quite know how it works, but in several of whackjob's designs he uses the modular girder segment as some kind of strut, which seems to be exactly what you need.

Also, you can use SRB's as decouplers if you fire them at the right time (may not work with the new heating system)

Edited by peachoftree

@op Do you mean the first 2 tiers you can unlock, which is 6 techs total or are you counting the initial tech as a tier making it only 3 techs total?

3 techs total.

I'll give the girder-as-a-strut technique a go. My guess is that that will make things work.

Good luck with your mission. I've decided to do the same a week or so ago but ran into some complications that have set me back. Keep us posted on how things turn out! Perhaps I'll be able to learn from your attempts

Generally any ship that can go to Minmus and back can also go to Mun and back (provided it has the TWR) so, other than being afraid of landing on the engine bell and/or falling over, I think this ship'd be fine. Maybe with some minor tweaks.

Careful, this is not correct. Mun landing and return takes a non-trivial amount of dV more than Minmus landing and return. In fact, for the price of the Munar landing burn alone you can probably land, relaunch and escape Minmus already.

But a vessel that has 1200 dV too much to land on Minmus - yes, that can land on the Mun as well, given enough TWR.

Careful, this is not correct...

But a vessel that has 1200 dV too much to land on Minmus - yes, that can land on the Mun as well, given enough TWR.

Hm. 1200? I know it's more, but that sounds like a lot more. I was thinking 500 or so more. I'll have to test.

In any case, the ship in my slideshow had tons of dV left over while returning, so assuming you can get it off Kerbin and land it on Mun without breaking anything, it should work fine.

EDIT: I just tested and it was just about exactly 1000m/s more for Mun than Minmus. I did both pretty perfectly IMO. I may have been able to save a dozen or so m/s on the Minmus one as I was in orbit mode a tad too long but the difference as actually 960m/s so I think it's safe to say an even grand.

I built the best version of that ship I could with only the first 3 nodes unlocked, and it won't make it. The dV just isn't enough.I suspect the engine Isp went down between then and now. Also, those tanks aren't available so the whole thing gets pretty wobbly.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.