Has everyone forgotten about the fabled extra gas planets?

What do you think about the controversial Gas Planet Two?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the controversial Gas Planet Two?

• I want it back! Please! SQUAD! Goddamnit do something about it!
    • I don't care / don't know what Gas Planet 2 is.
    • I don't want it back! By computer would dye if I use Asteronomer's!

I think that those planets would be a nice addition to the stock solar system. Not only would it mean a new and un-explored frontier for Veterans and Newbs, but it would pull the community back together again if the entire "it's too hard for me so go back to the old way" fiasco happens for those planets just as it did for the new atmosphere overhaul 1.0 brought. I guess they're waiting for after unity 5 or when 64bit is fixed up and ready to rumble. I don't mind if they've been canceled. I'd like to be sure though as they're planned according to the community edited Wiki page.

Yes. It's never been brought up on these forums.

;)

Joking aside, I'd rather the devs spend their time giving us things to do with the worlds we already have. Currently, they're big balls of "oh do I wand to land on the dark <primary color of the world> or light <primary color of the world> area?"

Adding a Jool clone with some Tylo/Vall/Pol/Bop/Laythe clones as moon doesn't sound like a good idea.

As far as I remember did the developer responsible for new planets leave the team. Hence, new planets are on halt.

I think more planets are a good idea, as long

- they do not draw too much attention from other features in developement

- they do not drain to much performance (game is slow enough already)

- they add something new; so far each planet is totaly different. Just "gas planet 2" is to few a difference in my opinion

Nevertheless I would like to have gas planet 2 a retrograde moon or a moon with a moon or a ring. This would make it special.

Eeloo was suppose to a moon for Gas Giant 2, and as people have pointed out, was suppose to have functional geysers (I also read somewhere that Laythe was suppose to have volcanoes). I think the reason why Gas Giant 2 was not originally implemented was because of performance reasons, although I think that's becoming less of a reason due to increase in computer power and eventually, 64 bit support.

While you're waiting on it, the Outer Planets Mod is a good mod to play around with.

Eeloo was suppose to a moon for Gas Giant 2, and as people have pointed out, was suppose to have functional geysers (I also read somewhere that Laythe was suppose to have volcanoes). I think the reason why Gas Giant 2 was not originally implemented was because of performance reasons, although I think that's becoming less of a reason due to increase in computer power and eventually, 64 bit support.

While you're waiting on it, the Outer Planets Mod is a good mod to play around with.

About Laythe being volcanic, see my above post.

Oh dear gods not this again.

I'm curious as to why you are complaining about this? In all honesty, you kind of hit a pet peeve of mine when it comes to businesses that serve a product. If several customers are expressing a desire to have a feature implemented, good customer service dictates to at the very least listen to them, not complain.

EDIT: In this case, it would nice if Squad would at least comment on this as to whether or not it's still on the table.

About Laythe being volcanic, see my above post.

thank you, I knew I saw it somewhere.

I'm curious as to why you are complaining about this?

I imagine if a mod is complaining about it, it is because there is a track record of the topic in question devolving into a problematic state somewhat quickly. That does not mean that is guaranteed and acting on that impulse is generally bad (havent seen any mod do that here in a long long time, so thats good) but it can be cause for concern and for staff to keep an eye on it, knowing it might go south.

Nah it's more the repetition, and that Squad have made absolutely no mention of more planets since NovaSilisko left the team.

I also prefer Canopus' suggestion that the existing planets be fleshed out, as what is the use of more planets if there's nothing on them?

I think that those planets would be a nice addition to the stock solar system. Not only would it mean a new and un-explored frontier for Veterans and Newbs, but it would pull the community back together again if the entire "it's too hard for me so go back to the old way" fiasco happens for those planets just as it did for the new atmosphere overhaul 1.0 brought. I guess they're waiting for after unity 5 or when 64bit is fixed up and ready to rumble. I don't mind if they've been canceled. I'd like to be sure though as they're planned according to the community edited Wiki page.

I dont really see the point of new planets until the max warp is increased (which might require fixing the cracken some more). 100,000x is barely enough to get to Jool. I dont have the patience to go out even farther...

OPM is IMHO the best planet pack for people who like to stick close to stock(-ish). If you actually want Fonso and some of the others, KerbolPlus has them for ya.

I dont really see the point of new planets until the max warp is increased (which might require fixing the cracken some more). 100,000x is barely enough to get to Jool. I dont have the patience to go out even farther...
That should be part of the package. And they should get rid of the 5x timewarp ffs, it's terrible.

Mods are the way to go for now, you will pass out from lack of air, if you hold your breath until Squad does it. This was brought up in the 26th April pre-launch day Reddit AmA, and answered in the negative, once again.

What are your plans for expanding the system? Do you have any plans for making any new planets? Also, what are your plans beyond KSP?
There's no short term plans to expand the solar system. As far as plans beyond KSP... nothing we can share just yet. There's still a lot we can do with KSP, though. The community deserves it.

That should be part of the package. And they should get rid of the 5x timewarp ffs, it's terrible.

there are mods that let you go to 1,000,000x and 10,000,000 (time control or warp unlocker). however. once you reload the ship, cracken instantly get its hands on your ship and you xplode!

I think the way the game stores positions using doubles (~16 decimal places) is to blame since time warping 5 or 6 decimal places at a time causes too much truncation error for the computer to handle.

It seems to me that storing planetary positions with more decimal places would fix the problem (perhaps not even moon positions just planetary positions). What's the big deal--just change them to quads?

I don't particularly care for new planets, but what I would like to see is more meaningful activities to do on/near existing planets (e.g. science experiments / surface sample collection that produce actual quantifiable data instead of generic science points)

I'm in agreement that we really need more stuff to do on existing planets than we need more planets to go to, though I'm not opposed outright to the idea of spending developer time on more planets.

That said, I think Squad should definitely make sure that they've closed every detectable memory leak before spending any development time on other planets. Prioritizing any other asset management improvements/fixes that they have planned would probably also be a good thing. Adding more planets in a situation where you're already memory constrained and/or leaking memory would be bad prioritization.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they have to add dynamic asset loading or other things like that. I actually thought they came close to, if not achieved this in 1.0, but they've backslid by the time of 1.0.2, and I'm not sure that the heat gauges are the only issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.