What you think about all those Squad videos clips released with every updates?

Pawelk198604

The 1.0 video should have been about glorious success.

With 1.0.1 following the next day quickly followed by 1.0.2, I'm not so sure about the "glorious success". Maybe "success after hitting the big revert to launch button a couple of times". In fact, I think that would be a great stealth-update of the video: Include the explosion, have gene hit the button [twice], followed by glorious success.

Pretty sure the animation was done by a animator, not a developer.

I keep seeing this excuse; not just here, but in reference to other developers as well, and it just baffles me. I mean... budget priorities are a thing, you know? Like... maybe hire a programmer?

With 1.0.1 following the next day quickly followed by 1.0.2, I'm not so sure about the "glorious success". Maybe "success after hitting the big revert to launch button a couple of times". In fact, I think that would be a great stealth-update of the video: Include the explosion, have gene hit the button [twice], followed by glorious success.

I'm not saying it doesn't follow the actual release-hotfix-hotfix debacle disturbingly well; I'm saying when you sell a car, your ads don't show your product losing control and T-boning somebody. Even though we all know people [who] do that right off the lot.

I keep seeing this excuse; not just here, but in reference to other developers as well, and it just baffles me. I mean... budget priorities are a thing, you know? Like... maybe hire a programmer?

Pretty sure it was done in-house by Dan and Roger.

Regardless, if they had focused their assets in a different way, people would complain about that too. Everybody thinks they know best how to backseat manage.

It's so easy to forget, being a customer, that non-customers have to have some motivation to come on board. Those animations are not for the benefit of the current customers, but rather for the future customers that are on the fence or unaware of the product. Marketing is almost never appreciated by those who have already bought in. From experience I can tell you, the budget spent on marketing assets like those videos is not a boondoggle in any sense.

I could totally see a KSP movie. The trick would be in figuring out how to do it in reverse spanish, with no subtitles, and still be understandable.

And I think there would be enough of a plot between the opening scene of discovering a giant crater on kerbin, to oh man this could happen again we need to get off this rock, to thousands of failed and slightly successful rocket launches, to landing on minmus for ice cream, to oh my its an asteroid! haha tricks on the viewer, it was never going to ever smack into kerbin, we are just diverting it to create a orbital mining and refueling base, to the kerbals making themselves a two planet species by colonizing lathe.

I did not like the last one. I use to show them to my kids and for this one I was not too comfortable explaining what happened to the little green guys.

And about the best use of available resources, even if they are not dev, the same people who make these videos could have spend a little bit of their time improving IVA graphic models and making new animations for EVA activities.

Generally speaking, I love the cinematics. Half the reason I'm playing KSP instead of orbiter or something more "realistic" is the little green guys themselves. Seeing the cinematics just gives my imagination more material to work with when I imagine Bill reaming Jeb for breaking the engine off their Mun lander.

That said, I'm also totally with the group that doesn't like the last one. Cartoony explodifying violence is fine, but the image of the fireball after detonation and the screams of the crew after the parachute malfunctioned also gave me the faint queasy feeling that a few other commenters have mentioned.

I didn't like the last one. A little too dark, and mimicking Challenger was a bad idea that could only be eclipsed if they had mimicked Columbia.

There are still those of us that remember, and in the U.S. we still consider it a tragedy. Maybe Mexico doesn't see it the same way.

Edited by Alshain

The stories I really like--true, fictional, and spontaneously occurring in game--are the stories when something does go horribly wrong... but then acts of incredible ingenuity and heroism save the day and everything turns out better than expected.

This is one of my all-time favorites:

I ought to watch Apollo 13 again now that I actually know some rocket science.

I'm currently reading Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 for the first time and everything in it so far about space travel is making me think either "Oh hey, that's exactly how I do it in KSP!" or "Wow, that's even more efficient than what I do in KSP!" This is probably because I got a lot of my general ideas for spaceship design and orbital infrastructure strategy from an old nonfiction book called The Exploration of Space... by Arthur C. Clarke.

SFOKL!

(Spitting Food Over Keyboard Laughing)

Marketing is an essential part of any successful business and I do not think we can say Squad have gone overboard on the marketing - in fact what else IS there other than these videos? For us as players it is still money well spent - imagine what state KSP would be in had Squad received only a tenth of the revenue by having only a tenth of the customers? (Here comes the deluge of "better pre-V1.0" comments... :rolleyes: )

I could totally see a KSP movie. The trick would be in figuring out how to do it in reverse spanish, with no subtitles, and still be understandable.

It looks like it will work well enough for Minions, I say do it! (Although does this mean we will have Kerbals meeting humans? Do we want to go there? At the very least, adding some sense of scale would only add to the cuteness factor!)

I didn't like the last one. A little too dark, and mimicking Challenger was a bad idea that could only be eclipsed if they had mimicked Columbia.

There are still those of us that remember, and in the U.S. we still consider it a tragedy. Maybe Mexico doesn't see it the same way.

I cannot believe anyone so interested in space travel could consider those events anything but a tragedy. Regardless of your feelings for the USA, this was a great loss to us all. ;.;

I watch Apollo 13 all the time, it never gets old. Also for the real story (which Hollywood actually did pretty well to the real thing), I can't recommend Discovery Channel's When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions enough. DVD's are still available but I think it is out of print, so if you want to see it better be quick. It covers everything from Mercury to the Columbia Disaster.

Edited by Alshain

Let me start saying that I respect you. I say this because you area frequent writer in the forum and I have most likely learned a couple of things from you.

And believe me that I am saying the following with respect. I think this was maybe a bit hard. You are assuming things here. Maybe you were reminded of that tragedy and you are not the only one, but it doesn't mean they were thinking of it when making the video, nor that they don't consider it a tragedy.

Unless I'm not aware of this being true fact (the video being a mimic), in which case I'd completely agree.

Let me start saying that I respect you. I say this because you area frequent writer in the forum and I have most likely learned a couple of things from you.

And believe me that I am saying the following with respect. I think this was maybe a bit hard. You are assuming things here. Maybe you were reminded of that tragedy and you are not the only one, but it doesn't mean they were thinking of it when making the video, nor that they don't consider it a tragedy.

Unless I'm not aware of this being true fact (the video being a mimic), in which case I'd completely agree.

There is an awful lot of coincidence there... the only real difference I see is that it isn't a shuttle.

There is an awful lot of coincidence there... the only real difference I see is that it isn't a shuttle.

You listed one difference

Coincidences: rocket explodes

One difference, one coincidence. (Unless I'm missing something?)

There aren't a lot of ways a rocket can blow up. Fuel tank explosion causes a giant fireball with flaming chunks of shrapnel flying away from it.

I really don't get why people keep seeing every explosion as the same explosion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.