DevNotes: "something rather brilliant from RoverDude"

AbacusWizard

(service bays with sliding doors) That would not change the colliders tho.

I was mostly asking because of aesthetics. Moving parts vanishing into other pieces just isn't right, whether they cause damage or no. I only heard from others that the doors can wreck ships, because I myself never put a bay in a place where it could have caused damage... that's the power of self-censorship.

Notes to people thinking this is heat pipes and radiators, here's some info for ya.

Nertea just finished the update on NF Electrical, also splittng off the universal radiators into a new mod, Heat Control, which literally does everything your talking about.

Following that release, Roverdude actually said in the NF thread he planned to take that as a dependency (no point reinventing the wheel). For the above reason I highly doubt that he's pushing it into stock (more importantly, that'd be highly unethical between modders; I dare to assume Roverdude is not the kind of person to do that).

As such I'm casting my vote on aerobraking/landing predictions.

I was mostly asking because of aesthetics. Moving parts vanishing into other pieces just isn't right, whether they cause damage or no. I only heard from others that the doors can wreck ships, because I myself never put a bay in a place where it could have caused damage... that's the power of self-censorship.

Your first sentence is contradictory. The doors are hinged, they do not vanish into other pieces. And many folks have had no issue with service bays, only folks that cram them so full of stuff they start to intersect with eachother and the other colliders (like when Das Valdez stuffed an ore drill inside of one).

RoverDude, on service bays: I've been advising folks to keep stuff away from the inside sides.

Placement there seems to interfere with door collision geometry.

Am I off base? Something else?

Top-down view showing areas to avoid.

Normal view of same service bay.

Problem can manifest as parts being undecided where they are attached, noticed when I switch active craft.

Whether doors are open or closed. Affected parts will appear to "jump" rapidly in or outside the bay, until the doors are toggled.

In above pictures, parts are in balance and I don't have problems. But when I moved the small mono tanks closer to the sides, I had problems as noted above.

Another recommendation I have read, seems helpful:

Disable angle snap © when attaching stuff inside service bays. For some reason angle snap attaches stuff to the outside walls.

Also, Bob's "Disco" dance floor / lab, is psychotic ;)

Your first sentence is contradictory. The doors are hinged, they do not vanish into other pieces.

Ahmmm... I know exactly what I mean, why don't you understand? (stamps foot)

Let's try that again: I do not put the service bay in a place where it's doors could interfere with any other part of the vessel, just because I can't stand the way it looks when you open the doors and they clip into another part of the vessel. As almost their entire diameter is door and they swing wiiiide open, this is rather limiting.

Today I've heard that this wouldn't be merely cosmetic, that opening doors will squish and destroy other parts. I don't know if that's true... because of my preferences I never was at risk of finding out, and am away from KSP right now so that can't test it. In my previous post I assumed that this was a well-known fact, though.

Taking everything RoverDude said (even breathing stops and spaces) and thinking for a straight 10 seconds, I believe that I will have to wait for 1.0.3 release because community is so full of ideas that squad wont implement (yet, please)

Didn't RoverDude mention ages ago that he was working on a stripped-down version KAS at some point?

I'm sure he mentioned it in relation to Karbonite.

My money's on the fuel pipes.

Basic.syntax - that diagram is correct, there are six side colliders formed by the two sides and the four doors. Having stuff intersect those can cause issues.
Could the model be modified with an additional "Keep out!" collider, or visual geometry? (It seems that the safe placement area is a box inside a cylinder. Players do want to try stuffing everything that they can, in the available cylinder space that they see. If the 'unsafe areas' were blocked off, even if just visually, it might reduce some of the support calls.) At the least, what about a yellow/black dashed construction-tape-line added to the texture, to demarcate the "safe / unsafe" areas?

Do you feel it? The Hypetrain is approaching!

I'm not bringing the HypeTrain out for a rebalancing patch. Even if it has a seeeecret feature. I'll let a HypeBus or something take it.

The HypeTrain had an... accident on a test run wherein due to the replacement of industrial-grade welds with duct tape, the boiler decided to cease its connections with other parts of the vehicle. As soon as the boiler is found, it will be fixed up and reassembled.

The major problem is that if Hype is generated, the boiler will fill with scalding hot HypeSteam while the engineers are still working on it!

And indeed I will probably be riding the HypeBus as well, but it would be too short a trip with not enough hyped people for the HypeTrain.

Edited by GregroxMun

Could the model be modified with an additional "Keep out!" collider, or visual geometry? (It seems that the safe placement area is a box inside a cylinder. Players do want to try stuffing everything that they can, in the available cylinder space that they see. If the 'unsafe areas' were blocked off, even if just visually, it might reduce some of the support calls.) At the least, what about a yellow/black dashed construction-tape-line added to the texture, to demarcate the "safe / unsafe" areas?

Actually the safe area is a hexagonal cylinder, and those edges are pretty small.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.