DevNotes: "something rather brilliant from RoverDude"

AbacusWizard

The radiators are the only new part I can find... Is this what the hype was about?

What hype?

While I won't get my knickers in a twist over radiatiors, they are a most welcome and useful addition. As far as hypebait goes, I've seen worse. Much worse.

What hype?

This hype:

heh, I thought my ears were burning.

It's a small thing - but super cool, and thrilled we were able to get it green lighted for 1.0.3 - it's something I had been tinkering with in anticipation of a future release, but I'm pretty pleased with where it landed, and have been doing a ton of personal playtesting in my own save for the past month or so. I think folks will be pleased.

Oh... and there was a hint in that previous statement. Let the speculation begin.

Yes, they've done worse, but I just have so little tolerance for their hypebait anymore...

I will say that I am happy they're tracking internal and external heat separately.

Edited by Orbital Vagabond

The radiators work quite nicely into my current space program, where the kerbals had just started experimenting with heat dissipation on sub-Moho-orbit spacecraft using small wings. Must say I'd have rather had stock (field-deployeable) fuel lines first, but I'll take either. :)

Fuel lines would be such a welcome. They are about the only reason I use KAS (especially now that KIS has arrived. Not overly crazy about KIS, but it beats having nothing.)

This hype:

Is it hype if noone takes the bait?

And, just in case I didn't make myself clear: those things are good to have. Me likes. Roverdude won't see me jump up and down in excitement, but here's a hug.

Turns out radiators are brilliant now.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people throw around words like brilliant and genius when they obviously aren't relevant.

Now that I say that, I'm sure there's posts of me using a little hyperbole here and there.

Edited by klgraham1013
For taste.

someone post screenshots for those at work

The 5 new radiators (2 panels and 3 extendable ones), thanks RoverDude!!!

dGwiAgI.png

5zZeqKr.png

The new Turbo Jet engine exhaust effects:

rpkbTzp.png

Checking back for first guess on radiators - Yakuzi in Post #8. Congrats!

I'd love to take the credit, however Robotengineer and FlowerChild beat me to it in the original dev note thread .

Edited by Yakuzi

"woah, you could take someone's eye out with that" - my initial reaction when opening a radiator for the first time while looking right at it, wow those things open fast!

Nice new parts, thanks Roverdude.

My only criticism so far is that if they have rotated, when they retract they instantly snap to their default position without any rotation animation.

"woah, you could take someone's eye out with that" - my initial reaction when opening a radiator for the first time while looking right at it, wow those things open fast!

Nice new parts, thanks Roverdude.

My only criticism so far is that if they have rotated, when they retract they instantly snap to their default position without any rotation animation.

This bug is shared by solar panels too. It has to do with how the animations are rigged with the parts and is a flaw inherent to the core game code.

I must say I'm actually skeptical of the new radiators. Need to do some digging. I smell something shady going on there.

Yep, radiators (ISS style active as well as passive panels) were your new goodie. Was glad to be able to get it green lighted for inclusion in the patch :)

For sake of curiosity, is the similarities between the function of Nertea's radiator module and yours a collaborative effort (I know you two seem to play off of each other sometimes) or convergent design?

The radiators don't seem to cool down the craft at all. In fact, all they seem to do is heat up with more heat than is being produced.

Tested with a LV-N test craft. Both fuel tanks were the same (Seperated with docking ports, docked) and both assemblies (Tank and LV-N) were the same temperature. The radiators kept heating up but didn't take any heat from the main assembly.

The radiators don't seem to cool down the craft at all. In fact, all they seem to do is heat up with more heat than is being produced.

Tested with a LV-N test craft. Both fuel tanks were the same (Seperated with docking ports, docked) and both assemblies (Tank and LV-N) were the same temperature. The radiators kept heating up but didn't take any heat from the main assembly.

Were you checking the skin or internal temperatures (or both)?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.