[WIP] [1.0x] VAD Stock Lander System - Pre-Release

Randazzo

Stock Lander System

Multi-stage Landers - In (mostly) Stock!

KIFgo1c.png

I'm personally a fan of multi-stage landers (such as the Thor lander from NovaPunch2) but trying to create them with stock parts tends to lead to ugliness or somewhat larger than necessary vehicles. To combat this atrocity, I present the Stock Lander System!

Current parts and features

• FL-T100LV

A slightly upscaled version of the FL-T100 tank featuring a partially recessed mounting node specifically designed to accept a VADULE or other .625 meter engine. Also features a shroud adapter to fit seamlessly on 1.25m stacks.

• FL-T175LV

The FL-T175 is a 1.75m fuel tank designed to receive the FL-T100-LV with engine attached. Features an integrated decoupler and carries a small amount of monopropellant. When paired with LT-1 landing struts, the assembly fits snugly (read: barely) within a 2.5m fairing. Also fits fairly well to the Mk1 Lander Can on it's own, though there is currently some overlap.

• X200-8LV

Similar to the FL-T100LV, but designed for use with the 2.5m Mk2 lander can. Engineered to accept the "Terrier" engine. Shroud adapter included.

• MK1 Lander Tank

Designed to pair with the MK1 Lander Can for a uniquely octagonal lander. Has an internal electrical supply and monopropellant capacity.

• VADULE (Vanguard Astrodynamics Ultra-Lightweight Engine)

A small engine intended for landing craft (go figure). Exceptionally light, yet reasonably powerful.
Somewhat more fragile than most engines due to the pop cans used in it's construction. Surface mountable for clusters... or other things.

Planned things

• 2.5m third stage? Will have to test the usefulness of such a thing.
  • 2.5m base version? For use with the Mk2 Lander can.
  • Tiny memory footprint - Using stock textures will allow distribution with only dummy files, calling up the stock textures with MODEL nodes.

Still requires a bit of balancing for cost and tech tree distribution as well. The system should be applicable to most non-atmospheric bodies, and Duna with parachute assistance. As with any work-in-progress this is subject to change entirely or be cancelled outright.

Download (includes example lander): Dropbox

Edited by Randazzo

Cool :D is it possible to scale flt 150 to 1.875m? should still fit 2.5m bays and is more inline to other part upgrades, of course only if you want :)

Short version: It could still happen.

That was actually my first choice (because I have been influenced by HGR), but it doesn't fit in a straight 2.5m fairing with landing legs attached. This wouldn't really be a problem unless you were using fixed fairing adapters, such as with (I think) KW Rocketry. Then again they might be from Ven's Stock Revamp. I've got so much stuff installed. :confused:

2.5m base stage is in. I'm not sure I can keep up with the response for this! ;)

QBGGe3B.png

And here's a side-by-side with a standard tank setup.

KMMvejD.pngL11qtqS.png

The parts have been added to the tech tree and had cost adjustments. The basic 1.25m stage unlocks with Landing, the others under advanced landing.

Download: Dropbox

Brilliant design! Keep it up!

Edit: Could you give a rough estimate of the stats on those landers? Dv and such.

They still need balanced, but currently I believe the two-stager is about 2500 counting both stages and the 2.5m is 2300 or so. It lessens the more junk you stick on it, per usual.

Edited by Randazzo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.