Does the EULA prohibit multiple installs on the same computer now?

regex

~:anonymous storefront:~

foto_405854.jpg?PHPSESSID=358f793ccb94685a74c569846fd58b04

Guess again... They're in the WTC of Amsterdam, lol (the address is Strawinskylaan 1431, Amsterdam. Google maps is your friend).

I was also expecting a dodgy storefront THB

http://dutchofficefund.nl/uploads/project/groot/foto_405854.jpg?PHPSESSID=358f793ccb94685a74c569846fd58b04

Guess again... They're in the WTC of Amsterdam, lol (the address is Strawinskylaan 1431, Amsterdam. Google maps is your friend).

I was also expecting a dodgy storefront THB

a lawyers office?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure it has been established in international court that they have to allow us to backup our programs. A EULA that forbids it is unenforceable.

While you can have multiple installs to your own personal computer, or computers, highly desirable when using mods or comparing upgraded versions, you are only allowed to run one licensed copy at a time. IE, no running two or more copies at once on your two or more separate computers.

Example, I can legally run two copies at the same time because I have purchased the steam version for the desktop and the standalone version for the laptop. However, letting a friend run a copy on his computer, or placing a copy on the older laptop and running KSP on all three computers at once would be in violation of the EULA.

While you can have multiple installs to your own personal computer, or computers, highly desirable when using mods or comparing upgraded versions, you are only allowed to run one licensed copy at a time. IE, no running two or more copies at once on your two or more separate computers.

Example, I can legally run two copies at the same time because I have purchased the steam version for the desktop and the standalone version for the laptop. However, letting a friend run a copy on his computer, or placing a copy on the older laptop and running KSP on all three computers at once would be in violation of the EULA.

that 's what i said

It would be nice to get an official comment. *hint hint, nudge nudge*

It won't likely happen. As far as they are concerned the EULA is their official comment. If they were to say anything on the matter it could be used against them in the future.

yep 7.3 outlaws backups.

plus

7.7 and 7.9 outlaws all mods.

I'm not a lawyer but how do 7.7 and 7.9 outlaw all mods? 7.7 covers the licensed application; that would be the code base that Squad (Deported, whateva) distributes. Data added to the gamedata folder are as much altering the licensed application as data added to the saved games folder; not at all. Unless a mere game save is now also breaking the EULA.

What would not be allowed is distributing a mod in the form of a modified ksp.exe or modifying one of the game's data filesâ€â€at least that's the way I interpret it.

7.9 seems to cover only World of Warcraft kind of hacking -- manipulating your online account for your own advantage. Because that is so totally KSP. :\

I would suggest tweeting it to Maxmaps or crossposting this topic to the KSP subreddit, where he's more active. Could also PM Kasper.

I would suggest tweeting it to Maxmaps or crossposting this topic to the KSP subreddit, where he's more active. Could also PM Kasper.

I think Ashlain's right and that we're not gonna get any kind of a public statement. Over PM or email maybe, but definitely not on reddit and not in this thread. Lawyers love to pull up obscure, innocent comments from places like this and throw them in your face (yet another example of why I believe lawyers to be satan-spawn :P)

It's just poorly-written boilerplate. At this point I'm pretty much convinced there's nothing at all enforceable about it aside from the fact that DEPORTED owns the software.

Worrying that they are not claryfying this at all..

The whole point everyone incluiding squad used when it came to it being on steam was that it was DRM free and you could make personal copies/backups and run them as you liked, even on different systems that had no steam.

So I say go ahead and sue me as I will continue to make as many personal copies as i feel like. I have probably a copy of every single version since I bought it on each HD for backup purposes.

I think Ashlain's right and that we're not gonna get any kind of a public statement. Over PM or email maybe, but definitely not on reddit and not in this thread.
Well, this is the forums, not like Squad ever descends from their ivory Reddit tower to post here anyway...

Indeed. If that has changed, there would be problems in using mods, especially those that alter the KSP universe, archiving older versions of the game, and placing backup copies on portable media for the purpose of loss prevention in case of a hard drive failure or fatal malware attack.

It's just poorly-written boilerplate. At this point I'm pretty much convinced there's nothing at all enforceable about it aside from the fact that DEPORTED owns the software.

glad you've seen the light

and I don't think anyone will respond here, but they may quietly fix the EULA.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a lawyer but how do 7.7 and 7.9 outlaw all mods?

7.7 Reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works of the Licensed Application, in whole or in part.

It specifically prohibits "MODifying"

and a mod is "derivative work"

// heck we can't even write fan fic

I don't know much about this, but maybe "DEPORTED" is just a placeholder for the actual company name (Squad). This would suggest that the EULA has been copy and pasted from somewhere. This is also supported by the fact that the game is called "Licensed Application" instead of "Kerbal Space Program." A couple of these blanks are filled in, such as emails addresses and URLs. :D

Just my 2 cents (don't take the above too seriously)

glad you've seen the light
I saw the light before I posted; Steam allows me to explicitly install the software on multiple machines therefore anything said about personal copying in the EULA is moot.

The point being, though, that the EULA as it stands is a steaming pile of boilerplate dung that really can't be enforced and goes against the standard SOP around here. Maybe someone will see this and make the required changes because there are way too many "unspoken rules" around here regarding the game.

I saw the light before I posted; Steam allows me to explicitly install the software on multiple machines therefore anything said about personal copying in the EULA is moot.

Yea, even the KSP store allows us to download the game infinite times, and wherever we want, including the previous version.

And if copying is explicitly prohibited then the mods need to know so that our current advice to newbies regarding multiple installs can be properly moderated. It's basically crap and needs to be rewritten.

Yeah, there's a couple sections of the EULA that could use work. We obviously are not against modding at all and we're cool with you guys having as many backups as you want, on as many OS's as you want, just don't give them to other people. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.