64 bit HYPE!!!

Windspren

The developers have stated that with the Unity 5 upgrade, we can now have stable 64 bit KSP! That means practically unlimited mods, faster performance and faster loading times! Let the Hypetrain begin another voyage!

I'm already playing a stable x64 KSP...

I would be if it weren't for FAR. 1.0 64-bit really is better, Even with the Windows hack.

But excuse me while I grumble about Ferram Aerospace.

Edited by RyanRising

The developers have stated that with the Unity 5 upgrade, we can now have stable 64 bit KSP! That means practically unlimited mods, faster performance and faster loading times! Let the Hypetrain begin another voyage!

64bit for Windows hasn't even been officially confirmed yet IIRC.

I would be if it weren't for FAR. 1.0 64-bit really is better.

But excuse me while I grumble about Ferram Aerospace.

Why grumble, download MVS (its free) and the whole FAR package from github, disable the 64 bit check (only requires changing one line) then compile your own 64 bit capable version for your own use

The source packages Ferram provides with each are meticulously organised

Yes it has, it was in the first devnote about U5

No, they said they would look at 64 bit again, and that the 64 bit editor environment would help, but they did not commit to, or guarantee 64 bit windows builds would be returning.

Relevant section;

Felipe (HarvesteR): Here’s the good bits: The Unity Editor itself is now 64-bit, meaning we can now finally properly support 64-bit development. This doesn’t immediately translate itself to a 64-bit build coming out again, but the good news is that we caught some bugs in the new editor that were specific to previous KSP x64 builds. This means the Editor’s internal player is very similar to the x64 unity player, and that means we can now look for (and hopefully fix) bugs which until now were impossible to even reproduce in a development environment. As for when x64 will be available again, it’s way too early to tell yet, but we should be able to start targeting that platform once more, and run test builds on it again.
Edited by NoMrBond

Why grumble, download MVS (its free) and the whole FAR package from github, disable the 64 bit check (only requires changing one line) then compile your own 64 bit capable version for your own use

No, they said they would look at 64 bit again, and that the 64 bit editor environment would help, but they did not commit to, or guarantee 64 bit windows builds would be returning.

Relevant section;

Ah, I see, but hopefully it will be Soon!

Given how well the 'hack' x64 version of even the current 4.6.4 works due to fixes since even the 4.5.x branch, and stuff like C:S, Rust, and The Forest all putting out working x64/Win builds with Unity 5, it looks promising.

There is no way Squad going to say 64 bit yes, until they know for sure it's yes though. The wailing, gnashing of teeth, pitchforks and fire that would occur otherwise would require serious trouser fireproofing on their part.

I tried that. The only problem is that I am completely incompetent when it comes to coding of any kind, and I can't even figure out how to get it to compile like that. It throws out several hundred errors, and I don't know if that's normal.

BUT! Soon, and back on topic, this gripe of mine will be a thing of the past, with Unity 5! I hope.

This kind of fire tends to ablate Community Managers whilst simultaneously becoming a Sisyphean PR nightmare

Where's X? You promised us X! You're liars because we don't have X! What do you mean we're not getting X? Repeat ad nauseum

Now we see DevNote's with 'something cool but we can't talk about it yet' because of, well, the Resources Effect might be a good way to put it, when they did talk about a feature, but then dropped the feature, people lost their everloving minds

I tried that. The only problem is that I am completely incompetent when it comes to coding of any kind, and I can't even figure out how to get it to compile like that. It throws out several hundred errors, and I don't know if that's normal.

I'm thought there was a guide somewhere? x64 was pretty unusable in 0.90 so I went back to x86/32bit so I haven't been making my own for a while

Not sure if Linux is an option for you but 64-bit on that platform is apparently good

Edited by NoMrBond

Now we see DevNote's with 'something cool but we can't talk about it yet' because of, well, the Resources Effect might be a good way to put it, when they did talk about a feature, but then dropped the feature, people lost their everloving minds

I think this exists because that was a really big, really hyped feature they had planned and literally had working in the game, then dropped it. If Squad was Santa, they came down the chimney holding a huge box, and then went back up.

I think given the recoil tehy got from that, the current information dissemination paradigm is justified by our (the community) previous actions, but I think it was a combination of our reaction and the magnitude of the item in question that fueled the 0.19 fire.

BUT! Soon, and back on topic, this gripe of mine will be a thing of the past, with Unity 5! I hope.

You don't even have to edit anything, just use the unfixer. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113069-KSP-x64-Total-Unfixer

Its a GUI; you can't screw it up.

And nobody promised anything about 64bit windows :)

Relevant section;

I like the first comment from Sarbian in that thread!

I like the first comment from Sarbian in that thread!

The authors don't mind if you get the source and make your own version for your own use. Most authors offered to help me in this regard previously, and was the only reason I was able to eventually roll my own x64 enabled versions from the supplied source.

Tools which only exist to break functionality in other mods (even if you don't like that functionality) aren't going to get a favourable response, especially if people use the tool then make bug complaints about subsequent x64/win problems in the mod threads, which is the reason the mods are unfortunately disabled for x64/win in the first place. The x64 disabling topic almost always becomes a crap hurricane though, a crapicane if you will.

Hopefully the Unity5 update has stable x64/win (well, as stable as x86/win) and all this contention can be consigned to history

Fingers crossed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.