[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

ETT is a pinwheel design that is grouped into branches of related engineering disciplines.

TechTree.png?dl=1

Premise

Do the Kerbals discover rocketry before winged flight? You decide. Both winged flight and rockets first options.  ETT also has an "End Game" so you can play the campaign game with a built in goal.

I love to hear new ideas and don't be afraid to let me know if I have a part or two out of place.

Listed on CKAN or Download at SpaceDock - May break saved games.

(May 5, 2020, 02:12 PM CST - SpaceDock may be having problems so here is a temporary link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7c1pw83jqssmki/ETT20200504.zip?dl=1)

REQUIRES:

Scope

A tech tree based on engineering/scientific principles... mostly, that is challenging to unlock yet fun to play through.

Goals & Requirements

1. Branches of the tech tree based on engineering disciplines.

2. The Kerbals discover rocket powered flight before they figure out winged flight. (or vice-versa)

3. Unlocking the entire tech tree is not required but must involve flights to nearby planets.

4. Parts that generate science are spread throughout the disciplines and are not based on which branch you focus on (e.g. Flight, Liquid fueled, Solid, Exotic).

5. The player may unlock just the branches that they are interested in.

6. "End Game", so you can play the campaign game with a built in goal.

Highly Recommended for FLIGHT FIRST option:

• Breaking Ground, Firespitter, SXT and/or KAX for propeller parts.
  • Take Command to use the external command seat for barnstorming... I mean science.

Highly Recommended for ROCKETS first:

• Interstellar
  • KW Rocketry
  • MRS
  • SpaceY
  • BDB
  • FASA

Recommended for the tree overall:

• Kerbal Engineer or MechJeb for delta V calculations.
  • DMagic Orbital Science to boost your science output. @DMagic

You can play this tree completely stock, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I believe it is the most fun with several part packs. The many nodes of the tree limits the amount of parts that show up in the editor which makes it easier to find the part you are looking for.

There is a lot to be updated.  Hopefully most legacy parts in a part pack won't need to be moved.  I will start with the part packs that are updated for the latest KSP rev.

Next Revision:

• Update to 1.9.1
  • Enable Part Upgrades
  • Better stock part placement depending on which mods are installed.
  • Re-integrate Interstellar, KW Rocketry, SpaceY, Luciole, and the remaining Near Future part packs.
  • If someone re-releases LLL (Lack Luster Labs) I will re-integrate it also.

Included:

Integrated & Tested for 1.8.1:

• AIES by @carmics
  • Alcubierre Warp Drive @RoverDude
  • AmpYear Power Manager by @JPLRepo
  • Bluedog Design Bureau by @CobaltWolf
  • Breaking Ground by @Squad
  • Civilian Population by @linuxgurugamer
  • Configurable Containers by @allista
  • DaMichel's AeroRadial (DAR) by @DaMichel
  • DaMichel's Cargo Bays (DCB) by @DaMichel
  • Dang It! Continued by @linuxgurugamer
  • DMagic Orbital Science by @DMagic
  • Docking Cam (KURS) by @DennyTX
  • Dynamic Battery Storage by @ChrisAdderly
  • Heat Control by @Nertea
  • Indicator Lights by @Snark
  • IXS Warpship @Denko666
  • JX2Antenna by @Snark
  • KAS by @KospY
  • Kerbal Planetary Base Systems by @Nils277
  • KIS (Kerbal Inventory System) by @KospY
  • Landertron by @XanderTek
  • Launch Escape System (Pebkac) by @Kurld
  • Making History by @Squad
  • MechJeb (still needs a bit of MM work) @sarbian
  • Missing History by @Snark
  • Modular Launch Pads by @AlphaMensae
  • Modular Rocket Systems (MRS) LITE by @NecroBones
  • Near Future: Electrical by @Nertea
  • Near Future: Propulsion by @Nertea
  • Near Future: Solar by @Nertea
  • OctoSat Continued by @linuxgurugamer
  • PicoPort by @steedcrugeon
  • PicoPort Shielded by @zer0Kerbal
  • Procedural Fairings by @e-dog
  • Rational Resources by @JadeOfMaar
  • RealChute Parachute System by @stupid_chris
  • RLA Reborn by @linuxgurugamer
  • ScanSat by @DMagic
  • Smart Parts by @linuxgurugamer
  • Space Docks Redocked by @Denko666
  • Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux by @Nertea
  • Surface Mounted Lights by @Why485
  • Tac Self Destruct Continued by @linuxgurugamer
  • Tokamak Refurbished Parts by @linuxgurugamer
  • Tracking Lights by @Trollception
  • VaporVent by @linuxgurugamer

Integrated But Untested Since 2018:

Integrated But Untested Since 2017:

Thank you @linuxgurugamer for fixing the YongeTech software I was using.  Also, shout out to @GrubbyZebra and all those who helped keep ETTR alive while I was away.

There is still a lot of work to do, but I thought I would release what has been done so far.  Part upgrades still require integration.  A version for 1.9.1 should be out soon.

Thanks to all those who have helped me get this far, @yongedevil@troyfawkes, @NathanKell, @Artfact, @Bahamut@inigma

@odya-kun, @SpaceNomad, @GrubbyZebra@linuxgurugamer

Keep the feedback coming.

Spoiler

Changelog May 4th, 20200504 Updated to 1.8.1, Overhauled tree during update.

Changelog May 25th v20180525 Updated to 1.4.3, Added support for Making History, Split engines to branch that progresses based on thrust and ISP, Various minor enhancements

Changelog July 4th 20170704 Recompile to 1.3, thanks to linuxgurugamer.

Changelog December 22nd v20161222 Antennas 2 fix.

Changelog December 11th v20161211 Increased the overall difficulty of the tree.  Moved several nodes to new positions. Updated Interstellar Parts and Nodes. Began adding Contares and BlueDog.

Changelog November 25th v20161125 Updated DMagic's EVA struts and transfer pipes, Smart Parts, Universal Storage, Launchers Pack, and Surface Experiment Pack. Fixed some nodes.

Changelog November 12th v20161112 Added or Updated Cacteye, Rover Science, Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus, Near Future Construction, Near Future Spacecraft, Extra-Planetary Launchpads, SpaceY, Infernal Robotics, Rocket Factory, USI Life Support, USI Exploration Pack, USI Survivability Pack, USI Sounding Rockets, USI Core, Kerbal Atomics, Dark Side Technology, Real Chutes

Changelog October 24th v20161024 Updated AmpYear Power Manager, KASKerbal Planetary Base System, KIS (Kerbal Inventory System), Lithobrake Exploration TechnologiesMKS/OKS, MRS (Modular Rocket Systems), SpaceY, Station Parts Expansion.  Added Konstruction, CxAerospace, Landertron.

Changelog October 18th v20161018 Added 6 nodes from CTT for Interstellar Extended compatibility.

Changelog October 16th v20161016 Recompiled DLLs for compatibility with 1.2.

Changelog June 3rd v20160603 Added Stock Launch Pad, Tantares LV update, Re-arranged branches for future dependencies, @Artfact: added Final Frontier Nodes, Mk3 Hypersonic System, AoA Tech parts

Changelog May 30th v20160530 Added Blue Dog Design Buero, Retrofuture, DMagic's Pipes & Struts, BDArmory.  Thanks to @Artfact and @Gaiiden!

Changelog May 26th, 2016: 1.1.2 v20160526 Added: B9, Tundra Exploration, VDC HullCams, Surface Experiments; Updated: KWRocketry AIES OPT and other tweaks. THANKS @Artfact

Changelog May 15th, 2016: 1.1.2 v20160521 Added Near Future Construction, Kerbal Atomics, CryoTanks, OPT, Insanity's mk2/mk3 expansion pack, Mk3 mini expansion, Hoolgan Lab's Airships, Aviation Cockpits, Kerbalism; Updated Firespitter, KAX, SXT, and Tweaked various part placements.  THANKS @Artfact

Changelog May 15th, 2016: 1.1.2 v20160515 Recompiled Yonge's Tech tree to 1.1.2; Added: Rocket Factory, Rovers and Roadsters, The Kerbonov Pack, MOLE, HabTech, Monkey Business Parts, Karibou Rover, Deep Freeze Continued; Updated: Stock Extension, MKS/OKS, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems

Changelog February 5th, 2016: 1.0.5 20160205 Added @inigma's suggestions; Updated the research costs for the flight branch to fall inline with the rocket side of the tree; Moved some of @Porkjet's new Mk3 part's to the correct nodes in the tree along with some other misplaced parts; Added support for DarkSideTechnology's Centrifuge.

Changelog January 15th, 2016: 1.0.5 20160115 Added Kerbal Planetary Base Systems; Overhauled SpaceStations --> Colonization tree structure; Fixed progression issues with TantaresLV; odya-kun started OKS/MKS

Changelog January 12th, 2016: 1.0.5_20160112 Revamped Exotic Engines Branch. Updated a lot of new parts in old part packs; Added: Nuclear Rockets & Kethane; @odya-kun contributed: USI Life Support; @SpaceNomad contributed: RLA Stockalike parts

Changelog November 9th, 2015: 1.0.5_20151109 Added support for 1.0.5 release.

Changelog September 18th, 2015: 1.0.4_20150918 Added TantaresLV, Tarsier Space Technology, Cryogenic Engines, SpaceY Expansion and added a new node on the end of 7.5m Rocketry.

Changelog September 7th, 2015: 1.0.3 20150907 Added support for Lack's SXT Airbags and RoverDude's Survivability Airbags.

Changelog September 5th, 2015: 1.0.3 20150905 Added Heavy Command Modules node; Added support for Near Future Propulsion and Near Future Spacecraft.

Changelog September 3rd, 2015: 1.0.2 20150903 Merged Goo Branch; Split Modern Physics into Nuclear Reactors and Nuclear Propulsion; Added support for Solaris Hypernautics, Corvus, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems

Changelog August 9th, 2015: 1.0.1 20150809 Added Near Future: Electrical, Fuel Tanks Plus, Habitat Pack, Lithobrake Exploration Technologies, and "Resource Exploitation" node. Fixed Procedural Fairings upgrade nodes

Changelog July 31st, 2015: 1.0 20150731 Added ALCOR, Asteroid Day, Aviation Lights, KAX, KSPX, & Stockalike Parts for Useful Esthetics

Changelog June 22nd, 2015: 1.0 20150622 Added 1.0.3 radiators.

Changelog June 10th, 2015: 1.0 Release

Released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 license. You are free to redistribute and modify the work so long as it is not used for commercial purposes.

Edited by Probus
Release for 1.8.1

Kerbalstuff says this is on CKAN but i cant spot it??

I just finished the CKAN process. It should show up there shortly.

Is there also a branch to start with unmanned rather than manned for rocketry?

Yes. You have your choice. Rocketry starts unmanned and can stay unmanned or you can also do manned missions by unlocking that node and progressing down that branch.

Okay, took me a while to realize (actually until I had unlocked Electrics and wondered where the solar power node is) that this mod needs Module Manager 2.6.2 or newer. Works like a charm now. Thanks for all this work you've put into it.

I had a really good question this morning and I thought I would share it here:

I was wondering if you had a list of all the mods required to have as few empty nodes as possible?

Good question. I play with a 64bit version of Linux so I don't have to worry about memory problems. You might want to be careful though.

Here is a good start:

Interstellar (which prompted me to build this tree in the first place)

FASA/FASA launch clamps

Infernal Robotics (and additions)

Dmagic Orbital Science

Near Future Solar

AIES (patched) - I trim this one down just to the parts I want. Same goes for my FASA parts.

MRS, SpaceY Heavy Lifters, KW Rocketry and/or Behemoth Aerospace Engineering (I usually play with only MRS and SpaceY because BAE is pretty new)

Station Parts Expansion

On the aircraft side:

Firespitter

(soon to include KAX)

Right now I am working with another modder on the Aviation side. I had to rearrange it due to the 30 part limitation of the SPH and we are not happy with it yet. So look for changes there.

Right now I am working with another modder.

So yeah, I'm the other modder. \o/ We have started working on reorganizing the file into seperate files based on tech branch, ie: rocketry, aviation, etc. I've also begun integrating a few smaller mods unto the tree.

Edited by Space_Kraken

Wow, this looks fantastic, and I really want to try it with KSPI. I'm using CKAN, and already have KSPI Extended, and the CTT. However, CKAN won't let me install the Engineering Tech Tree because it says it's incompatible with the Community Tech Tree. Any way around this?

Wow, this looks fantastic, and I really want to try it with KSPI. I'm using CKAN, and already have KSPI Extended, and the CTT. However, CKAN won't let me install the Engineering Tech Tree because it says it's incompatible with the Community Tech Tree. Any way around this?

CTT is an option for KSPI. When you go to install KSPI just leave CTT unchecked. Or just download ETT from KerbalStuff. ETT was originally created for KSPI and is designed so that it will over-ride CTT's setting making it redundant.

Thanks for letting me know. I will check CKAN's settings.

Edited by Probus

CTT is an option for KSPI. When you go to install KSPI just leave CTT unchecked. Or just download ETT from KerbalStuff. ETT was originally created for KSPI and is designed so that it will over-ride CTT's setting making it redundant.

That seems to have worked. thanks. Am starting it up now. What about the interstellar upgrade nodes, will they still work?

That seems to have worked. thanks. Am starting it up now. What about the interstellar upgrade nodes, will they still work?

They should, if I did my module manager files correctly. I moved them about and tested one of the upgrades and it worked. I need to create a small wiki that shows the upgrade nodes for interstellar and Mechjeb. Currently Mechjeb functions fully when it is unlocked. That is going to change though.

Will this hide empty nodes? Im playing with opentree currently, and I'm amazed. Wanted to give this one a try but since I dont use any part packs im affraid its the same thing like CTT all those empty nodes.....

I gotta say I love this tech tree. I used to use the adios tech tree but it wasn't updated. I do have a problem unlocking atomic power it says I need electrics but I have that already. I looked through the cfg file and it seems to ok. any ideas?

May I suggest starting from the left, then organizing different paths by sorting them by line? This three is nice but the layout is confusing :)

I agree altrue, unfortunately the original tree was built using an old old mod called tree edit. Which means that every node I want to move now, I have to manually type in the x,y coordinates. If I have time I will try to convert the node portion of the tree to a database so I can automate the process a little more.

- - - Updated - - -

I gotta say I love this tech tree. I used to use the adios tech tree but it wasn't updated. I do have a problem unlocking atomic power it says I need electrics but I have that already. I looked through the cfg file and it seems to ok. any ideas?

Ah. You probably need to spend some funds upgrading the Tech Center. You start campaign able to unlock nodes less than 100 tech point nodes. 100+ Tech point nodes for the first upgrade. 500+ Tech point nodes for the second upgrade. I made the Modern Physics technology branch difficult and expensive on purpose, like it was/is in real life.

ok makes sense why there are a lot of nodes that need only 95 but lvl1 RnD says research limit 100. shouldnt that mean that it can be up to 100 not anything under 100? anyway thanks for the help. now i gotta save up that 902,000 to upgrade lol (hard mode)

Intresting, does that mean your mod includes all technodes used by KSPI? This is important a lot of KSPI-E balance depends on it. For Example, the plasma thruster is affected by 3 techs. One tech to unlock the Basic plasma thruster, one tech to unlock Variable Isp and the last tech to unlock Quantum Vacuum.

Edited by FreeThinker

ok makes sense why there are a lot of nodes that need only 95 but lvl1 RnD says research limit 100. shouldnt that mean that it can be up to 100 not anything under 100? anyway thanks for the help. now i gotta save up that 902,000 to upgrade lol (hard mode)

That is gonna be quite challenging. Make sure you hold out for some long term, high initial payout contracts, that way you won't have to grind for the funds.

Intresting, does that mean your mod includes all technodes used by KSPI? This is important a lot of KSPI-E balance depends on it. For Example, the plasma thruster is affected by 3 techs. One tech to unlock the Basic plasma thruster, one tech to unlock Variable Isp and the last tech to unlock Quantum Vacuum.

It should unless I missed something FreeThinker. I have changed the unlock upgrade tech nodes to align with the engineering tree, but its all in there. I will make a chart to show the ETT equivalent unlock upgrade tech nodes.

• 2 weeks later...
I have found an issue - for some reason after researching the prerequisite tech for nuclear power - nuclear power is still unavailable for being researched

You may need to unlock the Research and Development Center an additional level. I made the Modern Physics branch quite tough as it is in real life.

• 2 weeks later...
You may need to unlock the Research and Development Center an additional level. I made the Modern Physics branch quite tough as it is in real life.

ok thanks for the feedback - now that i think about it that is kinda logical as it is also on the level 1 r&d's research max limit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.