[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

do you have a github for this so people can fork or clone and push requests? i really like the engineering category approach, and with SETI no longer in development, I'd love to see about adopting ETT as the recommended tech tree for my aircraft contract pack.

Based on my initial overview of your tree, I recommend:
-Move the Command Chair to Aviation
-Move Mk1 Crew Cabin to Subsonic Flight

This way early airplanes are either command chair affairs (with the Take Command mod recommended), or single seater cockpits (in stock). Pressurized passenger cabins should come a tad later, at Subsonic Flight. Edited by inigma

How important are the parts mods, here? If I choose to play without any of them, would it hinder me in any real way? (I don't know if the early aircraft progression is balanced around using firespitter before you unlock jets, for example). I tend to only roll with KER, KAS, KAC and graphical mods, don't like using mods that actually add new parts.

On 11/22/2015, 10:28:36, inigma said:

do you have a github for this so people can fork or clone and push requests? i really like the engineering category approach, and with SETI no longer in development, I'd love to see about adopting ETT as the recommended tech tree for my aircraft contract pack.

Based on my initial overview of your tree, I recommend:
-Move the Command Chair to Aviation
-Move Mk1 Crew Cabin to Subsonic Flight

This way early airplanes are either command chair affairs (with the Take Command mod recommended), or single seater cockpits (in stock). Pressurized passenger cabins should come a tad later, at Subsonic Flight.

I have a github account but not for this mod.  It sounds like a good idea.  I have only collaborated on mods, but have never used github for my own projects.  Sounds like I should learn how.

On 11/26/2015, 7:55:04, Panzerbeard said:

How important are the parts mods, here? If I choose to play without any of them, would it hinder me in any real way? (I don't know if the early aircraft progression is balanced around using firespitter before you unlock jets, for example). I tend to only roll with KER, KAS, KAC and graphical mods, don't like using mods that actually add new parts.

The only part pack that I always play with is the DMagic Science mod.

11 hours ago, Probus said:

I have a github account but not for this mod.  It sounds like a good idea.  I have only collaborated on mods, but have never used github for my own projects.  Sounds like I should learn how.

Yes do! It's fairly easy to setup and it will make collaboration on this project much easier!

3 hours ago, MastaSchmitty said:

So if I've read this properly, mods that are not currently "supported" per se (like SXT) won't break the tech tree, they just don't have spots assigned to them by you, so they may show up at relatively random spots, correct?

Yes, you are correct.

hi,

First, thanks for this mod, i'm trying to start a new career with something better than the stock tree, and i think i like more yours.

I took a look in game, and i cannot see where the spark engine is (or any of the very small ones). Am I missing something ?

Thanks

edit: ok, i removed and reinstalled, and now it is there... I swear the branch wasn't there before.

Edited by Napseis

On 12/1/2015, 8:52:55, Probus said:

The only part pack that I always play with is the DMagic Science mod.

Hey when are you going to github this?

This looks like fun.  I've gotten a tad bored of the stock tech tree.  Maybe this will reignite my interest in a career game.  In the past, I've played career games centered around (1) MKS/OKS, (2) RemoteTech, (3) Kerbal Construction Time, and (4) KSPI, but I didn't get deep into it.

I know this question is a bit vague, but can anyone suggest a new career that would be different from the above experiences, using this ETT mod as a centerpiece?  I'm using Windows, so RAM is an issue.  I've never used DMagic's Orbital Science, and I'd like to try it, so I'm thinking that.  I really like space stations, so something like Severed Solo's Kerbal Space Station mod, or Nertea's space station parts?  Maybe ScanSAT?  Is the latest KSPI-E viable with this mod?  

Hey, I've been having a lot of fun with this, I like how there's a fair bit of extra challenge just to get started.

I thought that this may not have been up-to-date with the latest b9 Aerospace release, but looking in the .cfg file it looks like the parts are all there. Do you know of any reason b9 parts might not show up in the tech tree? I can't find the Mk 2 cockpit, for example (stock or b9 for that matter). Maybe something to do with duplicate entries? I found the stock Mk2 cockpit defined twice in the .cfg file (lines 4898 and 7388).

In any case this is a great rearrangement of the tech tree. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Captain Sierra said:

@aluc24 there's actually a mod originally geared for CTT that does this and it appears to work fine with this as well. Link unfortunately not handy.

I actually tried that one, but it doesn't seem to work for me... Doesn't hide the nodes after I install it. How do you make it work?

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎53‎:‎14‎, Mister Spock said:

This looks like fun.  I've gotten a tad bored of the stock tech tree.  Maybe this will reignite my interest in a career game.  In the past, I've played career games centered around (1) MKS/OKS, (2) RemoteTech, (3) Kerbal Construction Time, and (4) KSPI, but I didn't get deep into it.

I know this question is a bit vague, but can anyone suggest a new career that would be different from the above experiences, using this ETT mod as a centerpiece?  I'm using Windows, so RAM is an issue.  I've never used DMagic's Orbital Science, and I'd like to try it, so I'm thinking that.  I really like space stations, so something like Severed Solo's Kerbal Space Station mod, or Nertea's space station parts?  Maybe ScanSAT?  Is the latest KSPI-E viable with this mod?  

• A new career with ETT as a center piece is a totally new experience by itself.
  • Nertea's space station parts is in ETT as is ScanSat.
  • The tree was actually started with KSPI-E in mind so it is integrated (unless I've missed some new parts).

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎08‎:‎53‎, H3LK5 said:

Hey, I've been having a lot of fun with this, I like how there's a fair bit of extra challenge just to get started.

I thought that this may not have been up-to-date with the latest b9 Aerospace release, but looking in the .cfg file it looks like the parts are all there. Do you know of any reason b9 parts might not show up in the tech tree? I can't find the Mk 2 cockpit, for example (stock or b9 for that matter). Maybe something to do with duplicate entries? I found the stock Mk2 cockpit defined twice in the .cfg file (lines 4898 and 7388).

In any case this is a great rearrangement of the tech tree. Thanks!

• An older version of B9 is in the tree.  Parts that don't show up correctly would probably be all new parts (or name changes).
  • I will check the Mk2 cockpit.  If its in there twice, then a mod probably redefined it (or I screwed up).

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎41‎:‎45‎, aluc24 said:

Probus, I'd like to ask, is there any way to hide "empty" parts of tech tree? I'm not playing with every mod possible, and these empty unlocks in tech tree are confusing.

There is a mod out there that might do it.  The problem is if you hide an empty node, you might need it for future technologies.  Some nodes only contain mod parts but are needed to follow the tech tree in a balanced manner.  Search KerbalStuff for fog of tech or hide tech tree.

Edited by Probus

4 hours ago, Probus said:

There is a mod out there that might do it.  The problem is if you hide an empty node, you might need it for future technologies.  Some nodes only contain mod parts but are needed to follow the tech tree in a balanced manner.  Search KerbalStuff for fog of tech or hide tech tree.

I understand. Well, what would be a balanced way to hide those empty nodes, then?

18 hours ago, IceSentryy said:

Where is the mk1 cockpit. I can't find it in the tree. I see the mk1 inline cockpit but I can't find the not inline cockpit

hi. It is on the right, in hyper sonic fligths, roughly in he middle of the aviation branch.

I have a question also about the lab: what's the point of having the plant experiment growth of the science station  mod before the processing lab? Don't you think it is too late in the tree ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.