[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

@Probus Hi, I want to enable a MM patch only when ETT is installed, however it seem that ETT never define a 'FOR[ETT]' statement in its config files. This make impossible for me to enable that patch only when ETT is installed, as I can't use a NEEDS[ETT] statement. Maybe the solution is as simple as adding a 'FOR[ETT]' statement in the EngTechTree.cfg/TechTree node. The alternative is that you add the above patch yourself using a NEEDS[Kerbalism] statement.

On Wednesday, August 03, 2016 at 7:56 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

@Probus Hi, I want to enable a MM patch only when ETT is installed, however it seem that ETT never define a 'FOR[ETT]' statement in its config files. This make impossible for me to enable that patch only when ETT is installed, as I can't use a NEEDS[ETT] statement. Maybe the solution is as simple as adding a 'FOR[ETT]' statement in the EngTechTree.cfg/TechTree node. The alternative is that you add the above patch yourself using a NEEDS[Kerbalism] statement.

I'm no expert, but last time I tried to do this with a recent ETT was to check against the YongeTech.dll. So far, no other mod I know of out there uses this. Also, doesn't MM allow checks against directory names? Of course, having ETT actually identify itself would solve the problem up front. Just guessing...

Hi,

First of all, very promising looking tech tree! I'm always looking for ways to organize my weird collections of mod parts.

I see you've included kOS parts in the .cfg, even though there's no mention (that I can find) of support for the mod. They're kind of all over the tree since they use the stock tree nodes. I think the "4 Bit Computers" to "SuperComputer AI" branch would be perfect for them. 

My humble suggestion:

4 Bit Computers:
kOSMachine1m        (CX-4181 Scriptable Control System, stock tree science cost 45)

8 Bit Computers:
KR-2042                 (KR-2042 b Scriptable Control System, stock tree science cost 160)
kOSMachine0m        this is a legacy part, and cannot be added via the editor

16 Bit Computers:
kOSMachineRad         (CompoMax Radial Tubeless, stock tree science cost 300)

SuperComputer AI:    
KAL9000             (KAL9000 Scriptable Control System, stock tree science cost 550)

And "Cherry Light" is just a silly rotating light which can, in my opinion, stay in the node it currently inhabits (Advanced Electrics).

By the way, why is "LY-10 Small Landing Gear" in the unplaced-node, and not in e.g. "Landing", which is an empty node with stock parts only?

EDIT: Oops. Just noticed there is a pull request for kOS parts. That'll teach me.

Edited by CosineLoss
Found pull request for kOS parts.

20 hours ago, garwel said:

@CosineLoss, it's my pull request (and it also contains a rearrangement for RemoteTech parts). I certainly don't mind any other ideas for part placement, but that they have to be moved elsewhere is for sure.

I actually just started a career to test this tree, and I'm using both kOS and RemoteTech, and yes, many of the parts are clearly in the wrong nodes currently.

I might chime in on GitHub, though I haven't had the time to take a look at your commits yet. GitHub was in it's infancy when I last did any serious software development, so I've never used it. Time to learn.

Regarding RemoteTech: Offhand, I can only say that RTShortDish1 is a legacy version of RTShortDish2, and has the same stats.These should probably go in the same nodes. Likewise RTLongDish1 is a legacy version of RTLongDish2.

Edited by CosineLoss
Ambiguous language

On 08/08/2016 at 6:42 PM, Probus said:

I have time to start working on this tech tree again. Any suggestions on part packs to add?

Hi.

First of all, thanks for this amazing tree.

Can you add K.R.X and Airplane Plus ?

They would be really great in this tree.

Again, thx for your job.

PS : Sorry for my english... I'm not really good in english.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2016 at 6:46 AM, New Horizons said:

Do we still need to install both Yonge folders?

Nope.  One is to play with and the other is to make developing tech trees easy as pie.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I'm back from a two month field campaign and have seen that there's been a good many updates and new releases of aviation mods. Great!
I'll try to start work on them again this weekend.:)

Any in particular that I should be aware of?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm planning on nudging the entire fuselage line of FutureRetro up a node since they appear to far more superior than the originals they are imitating...logically I supose.

Still, anyone who's played around with them in ETT that is opposed to this?

• 3 weeks later...

@Artfact, do you need any help updating ETT for 1.2? I haven't used the pre-release yet, but I think I can try to look at the new parts and find a place for them if you are short on time.

I'd also like to see support for Rover Science. They have one or two parts only, so it shouldn't be hard (probably should go into Field Science or something).

@garwel We always need help! If there is particular mods that you would like to see added, by all means, try it out, test it and add it to the Github.

At the moment I have added the following to the dev build:

-OPT Spaceplane parts. (had a large update)
-Reordered Retrofuture Parts; namely fuselages that were way too advanced for their node.
-Added Kerbal Rotor Expansion.
-Updated Airplane Plus. Starting WWI era engines still are more powerful than the ones in the 'aviation'node, so were placed in 'subsonic flight'.
-Added Procedural Wings update.
-Added Crzyrndm's update/version to B9's Procedural wings.

-Added the new Smart Parts trigger.

Rover science looks awesome; I'd say that the Rover Brain part would be a decently advanced sensor so I'd think it would go nicely somewhere in the Electronics (computers/ai) or Antennas lines.:)
As to what I think would be nice to add: I'd love to have a stable integration of the Maritime Pack but currently lack the time to play around with the mechanics/parts to get a feel for it. Also Heat Management is long overdue for an update; many new parts were added.
Let us know if you need help or run into problems.:)

Edited by Artfact

Both me and Probus have been inactive for months so have only been picking up recently.

I don't use Ven's Stock Revamp so can't check those. I'll try to have a look at your RT and kOS ideas. Probus might've already rearranged the latter, not sure.

Well, the good news is that the Yonge dlls work with 1.2.  The bad news is that a lot of stock parts have shifted nodes.  I will need to look closely at all the parts and move them back to their correct nodes.

Edited by Probus

Just got the dlls recompiled with no errors!  The stock parts wouldn't move to the correct nodes.  Fixed that.  Almost there, just got some re-arranging to do.  Fingers crossed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.