[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

Here is a link to ETT for 1.2: https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/engineering-tech-tree

It has the dll files recompiled and the new parts shifted to the correct node.  It does not yet address part upgrades or the delicious new parts that have popped up in upgraded mods.

Please play around with it and let me know if there is anything major that I've missed.

2 hours ago, Probus said:

Here is a link to ETT for 1.2: https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/engineering-tech-tree

It has the dll files recompiled and the new parts shifted to the correct node.  It does not yet address part upgrades or the delicious new parts that have popped up in upgraded mods.

Please play around with it and let me know if there is anything major that I've missed.

Thanks for taking the time to do this Probus.

BTW, what are "part upgrades"?  Sorry if it's obvious, bit of a KSP noob.

Also, one thing that always confused me, why do you use underscores in place of periods in tech descriptions?

Edited by iguana_man
New Question

23 hours ago, iguana_man said:

Also, one thing that always confused me, why do you use underscores in place of periods in tech descriptions?

KSP switched all my periods to underscores at some point.  I may try switching them back and see what happens.

If anyone has any ideas on how to intergrate part upgrades into ETT, please let me know.  Thanks!  And 1.2 is up officially now.

3 minutes ago, Probus said:

KSP switched all my periods to underscores at some point.  I may try switching them back and see what happens.

If anyone has any ideas on how to intergrate part upgrades into ETT, please let me know.  Thanks!  And 1.2 is up officially now.

What I do (I run a custom edit of ETT) is perform the following replaces in Notepad++ (or replace function that handles regex). Doing it this way avoids replacing underscores in part ids.
"_$" to "."
"___" to "..."

"_ " to ". "

Thanks for the quick update

Edited by iguana_man

15 hours ago, loki130 said:

Is it possible to have nodes only appear if certain mods are installed? It would be nice to have some 1.875m nodes, but I can see how they would be annoying if you don't have any of those parts.

There is a mod for that: Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes. I've recently had problems with it though, but it used to work well before. Don't think it's got updated for 1.2 yet.

Is there a way to alter the Unlocks block of an RDNode via ModuleManager? I'd have to make several dozen changes to make the tree even remotely reasonable for my sensibilities, but maintaining those as manual edits whenever there's an update to ETT seems completely unsustainable. The only way I know of to precisely select one of several duplicate values (like the many "part =" entries in an Unlocks block) for editing or removing is by specifying an index, which is just as unsustainable as not using MM at all.

I guess it probably can't be done and in that case it'd be back to Community Tech Tree for me, but I figured I'd try asking anyway...

16 minutes ago, MaxRebo said:

Is there a way to alter the Unlocks block of an RDNode via ModuleManager? I'd have to make several dozen changes to make the tree even remotely reasonable for my sensibilities, but maintaining those as manual edits whenever there's an update to ETT seems completely unsustainable. The only way I know of to precisely select one of several duplicate values (like the many "part =" entries in an Unlocks block) for editing or removing is by specifying an index, which is just as unsustainable as not using MM at all.

I guess it probably can't be done and in that case it'd be back to Community Tech Tree for me, but I figured I'd try asking anyway...

Well, you could always use the tech tree editor included with the zip file. That will let you make the changes easier.

At this point, all the updates will either be additions of new mods or maintenance of the mods supported until 1.3. 

3 minutes ago, Probus said:

Well, you could always use the tech tree editor included with the zip file. That will let you make the changes easier.

Yeah, if I decided to go with "hard-coded" changes I'd definitely use the editor, but in the end manual is manual. I think I'll wait until at least the MKS and WBI support is up-to-date and decide then if I want to invest the work.

Right now I'm half-tempted to write an un-Yonge tool for automatically generating "classical" MM patches from a Yonge tech tree. If only I had the time... oh well, maybe next year.

14 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

Right now I'm half-tempted to write an un-Yonge tool for automatically generating "classical" MM patches from a Yonge tech tree. If only I had the time... oh well, maybe next year.

I would love a tool like that!  That way users could use MM patches to edit the design at will. 

1 hour ago, Nico14789 said:

Hi, I think your mod has not yet included the MKS/OKS and EPL Mods, is there a fix ?

I've finished the MKS/OKS mod insertion and it will be released with the next revision.  So it should be soon(tm).

On 10/20/2016 at 11:46 PM, Probus said:

I would love a tool like that!  That way users could use MM patches to edit the design at will. 

@Probus @MaxRebo Wasn't there a setting to allow for MM patches? Relevant part in the Yonge Tech Tree readme:

.1 Known Issues:
  -----------------
  This mod tracks parts by their name field.  This means if two parts have the same name, only the first will be editied.

Both this mod and ModuleManager (on version 2.6.5 as of this writing) attempt to edit the tech tree of the current game.  This mod's changes should have priority.

If you would like to disable the option to select a tech tree and the conflict with ModuleManager change the "allowTreeSelection" field in PluginData/YongeTech_TechTreesExpansion/config.xml from '1' to '0'.  This will keep support for the TechTree ConfigNode additions and custom icon support, but remove the option to select a tech tree.

It seems like the only benefit of not enabling MM patches is that you get that popup at the beginning of a new career asking which tech tree you specifically want to use. Useful, but I imagine that people downloading this tech tree download it to specifically use it (there could be edge cases of course).

43 minutes ago, ev0 said:

It seems like the only benefit of not enabling MM patches is that you get that popup at the beginning of a new career asking which tech tree you specifically want to use. Useful, but I imagine that people downloading this tech tree download it to specifically use it (there could be edge cases of course).

The main reason I would like to see MM work with Yonge, @ev0, is for the new Part Upgrade option.  I haven't gotten MM to work with it, so far.

Edited by Probus

3 hours ago, ev0 said:

@Probus @MaxRebo Wasn't there a setting to allow for MM patches? Relevant part in the Yonge Tech Tree readme:

Only thing this does is to allow changes made to the TechTree config node and its RDNode children via ModuleManager to take precedence over the last-minute override by Yonge Tech Tree. As you quoted correctly yourself:

This will keep support for the TechTree ConfigNode additions

ETT makes use of specifically those additions (specifically, the Unlocks node). Disabling this options will do nothing to make the actual unlocks editable via Module Manager - it will enable Module Manager to edit all other aspects of the tree but the actual unlocks, if only because the Unlocks node is laid out in a way that Module Manager can't alter by way of the nature of its principle of operation.

If we started specifying the unlocks the classical way (i.e. on a per-part basis), then we wouldn't even need to disable this feature in order to enable MM patches for the unlocks, as those are actually independent of the TechTree config node's final form, even if this form was the result of Yonge Tech Tree doing its magic. It would however be necessary to disable it if users should be able to alter the structure of the tree via MM, that is tech node names, costs, positions and connections.

Though it would probably be sensible to disable this feature anyway - per-part MM patches in all likelihood end up being incompatible with any tech tree other than the one they were intended for.

------

On 20.10.2016 at 4:46 PM, Probus said:

I am absolutely determined to create that tool. It won't be until December though :(

The good news is that from the investigation I already did into the editor source code, I also found out that it would be trivial to build that capability into the editor directly. For example by adding an additional export button to the menu bar that reads "Save Tree (per-mod MM patches)" or something like that. I'll get back to you when I start working on this little project :)

Edited by MaxRebo

6 hours ago, garwel said:

Any plans to include the latest changes in USI mods (UKS and Konstruction in particular) in ETT?

Yessir.  Just for you @garwel:

Changelog October 24th v20161024: Updated AmpYear Power Manager, KAS, Kerbal Planetary Base System, KIS (Kerbal Inventory System), Lithobrake Exploration Technologies, MKS/OKS, MRS (Modular Rocket Systems), SpaceY, Station Parts Expansion. Added Konstruction, CxAerospace, Landertron.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.