[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

@Probus

Confirming Antenna problem also shows up on fresh save.

I Then used spacebaby fix above and was able to use stock antenna in VAB but not antennas from MODS Dmagic Orbital Science, SEP, Or Karbonite.

Not sure if this helps.

Thanks for all your hard work on this awesome tech tree. 

edit: spacebaby fix caused me to lose a lot of other researched tech nodes,rolled back to previous save

Edited by Rocket88
more info

Hi guys, just to share, i was also having issues with the "antennas2" node, the fix is simple.

1. Go to your gamedata>ETT folder

2. Open the file EngTechTree.cfg

3. Search for "antennas2", on the second try you will get to something like this:

RDNode
    {
        id = antennas2
        nodepart = antennas2
        title = High Gain Antennas
        description = Microwave and standard long range antennas (15 up to 15 GigaMeters)
        cost = 0
        pos = -1872.16,1674.7,-1
        icon = RDicon_generic
        anyParent = False
        hideEmpty = False
        hideIfNoBranchParts = False
        scale = 0.6
        Parent
        {

4. Change the part where it says "cost = 0", i changed mine to 50 so it will look like this:

RDNode
    {
        id = antennas2
        nodepart = antennas2
        title = High Gain Antennas
        description = Microwave and standard long range antennas (15 up to 15 GigaMeters)
        cost = 50
        pos = -1872.16,1674.7,-1
        icon = RDicon_generic
        anyParent = False
        hideEmpty = False
        hideIfNoBranchParts = False
        scale = 0.6
        Parent
        {

5. Save the file, and reload KSP

6. Have Fun

On 14/12/2016 at 6:03 AM, garwel said:

I noticed that antennas2 node has cost = 0. Can it be the cause of the issues?

Yes, it's exactly the problem, the solution is the one above.

Edited by TheNerdMobile
quoted someone

Hey @Probus, I tinkered around with kOS and have come up with the following suggestions for parts rearrangement:

- kOSMachine1m > electronics (most basic, heavy CPU, should be available early)

- KR-2042 > advUnmanned (ligher, but has smaller memory, so it should be available later, but on a different sub-branch)

- kOSMachineRad > mechatronics (better than the old ones)

- KAL9000 > automation (the ultimate CPU so far)

- kOSMachine0m - deprecated (was replaced by KR-2042, may be put in advUnmanned just in case)

@Probus

So I was lamenting the inability to easily edit the part placement in the tech tree in a thread I made

And the topic came up again in the SSTU thread where shadowmage pointed me to your GitHub page that there was something there called Techtree Editor!!! But he hasn't used it and so I was wondering if you or someone could explain how it works and tell me if it is able to help you edit part placement or only placement of nodes?

Thank you!

Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes supports the ETT again. However, it will no longer support the Yonge's Tech Tree plugin. This simply means that the tree selection process in the beginning of a new game will do nothing. Instead, this mod reads the ETT changes done to the ModuleManager tech tree, and will change the TechRequired field for Parts from that file. The good news is that you can now use ModuleManager config files on the ETT!

Keep in mind that this means, for the ETT, if you want to change the TechRequired field for a part you must use MM to edit the ETT, not the part file.

Hopefully most people only have one tech tree installed at a time anyway. I couldn't figure out how to get Yonge's PartLoader instancing for multiple tech trees working, so this is how my mod will support the ETT from now on.

2 hours ago, Akira_R said:

@Probus

So I was lamenting the inability to easily edit the part placement in the tech tree in a thread I made

And the topic came up again in the SSTU thread where shadowmage pointed me to your GitHub page that there was something there called Techtree Editor!!! But he hasn't used it and so I was wondering if you or someone could explain how it works and tell me if it is able to help you edit part placement or only placement of nodes?

Thank you!

@Akira_R, Here is the original description of the mod:

44 minutes ago, ev0 said:

Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes supports the ETT again. However, it will no longer support the Yonge's Tech Tree plugin. This simply means that the tree selection process in the beginning of a new game will do nothing. Instead, this mod reads the ETT changes done to the ModuleManager tech tree, and will change the TechRequired field for Parts from that file. The good news is that you can now use ModuleManager config files on the ETT!

Keep in mind that this means, for the ETT, if you want to change the TechRequired field for a part you must use MM to edit the ETT, not the part file.

Hopefully most people only have one tech tree installed at a time anyway. I couldn't figure out how to get Yonge's PartLoader instancing for multiple tech trees working, so this is how my mod will support the ETT from now on.

That is great news @ev0!  A lot of people were wanting module manager capability.

7 hours ago, Probus said:

That is great news @ev0!  A lot of people were wanting module manager capability.

Actually the ETT has always been editable by MM patches, @Probus. I mentioned it previously in this post, but a reply from @MaxRebo threw me off track so I never tried a working example until now:P. If you want MM patch compatibility for the ETT as it is now, to change RDNode fields or any specific Part in the Unlocks nodes you need to:

1. Set the "allowTreeSelection" in the config.xml from 1 to 0, as described in my previous post.
  2. Try an MM patch like this:
@TechTree:NEEDS[ETT]:FINAL
{
	@RDNode:HAS[#id[basicScience]]
	{
		@cost = 1000
		@Unlocks
		{
			@part,* ^= :sensorThermometer:dummy
		}
	}
	@RDNode:HAS[#id[start]]
	{
		@Unlocks
		{
			part = sensorThermometer
		}
	}
}

This changes the science cost of Basic Science to 1000. And more importantly, it effectively removes the stock thermometer from the Basic Science node, and puts it in the Start node instead. (Trying to delete by "-part,* ^= :sensorThermometer:dummy" doesn't seem to work, so I just edit the name with "@part" instead and rename it "dummy")

Edit: Anyone who wants to use my mod with MM edits to the Unlocks nodes, you have make MM files this way anyway.

Edited by ev0

2 hours ago, ev0 said:

Actually the ETT has always been editable by MM patches, @Probus. I mentioned it previously in this post, but a reply from @MaxRebo threw me off track so I never tried a working example until now:P

You're completely correct... believe it or not, I was at the time not quite aware of the regex magic you could do with MM. I guess that makes the little project I wanted to start over Christmas obsolete :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, ev0 said:

I've just tried ETT with the latest HETTN and saw something strange. The tree is not ETT's, but a stock one, and only some nodes (I presume the ones that share id's with corresponding ETT's nodes) are researched.

6 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

You're completely correct... believe it or not, I was at the time not quite aware of the regex magic you could do with MM. I guess that makes the little project I wanted to start over Christmas obsolete :rolleyes:

MM can be pretty powerful once it's enabled for use!

1 hour ago, garwel said:

I've just tried ETT with the latest HETTN and saw something strange. The tree is not ETT's, but a stock one, and only some nodes (I presume the ones that share id's with corresponding ETT's nodes) are researched.

Do you have Module Manager installed? Enable Extra Debug Logging in the settings for Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes, and post the output log here or preferably to the main HETTN thread.

3 hours ago, Senshi said:

Is it possible to load ETT into an existing savegame? Tried it, but only got a very messed up techtree (lines all over the place, very chaotic).

It will be messed up because stock nodes are located in very different places in ETT. So you should either start a new game or do some magic with your persistent file.

Well, this "magic" is in fact a form of cheating. Look for the section in your persistent.sfs file where researched techs are listed. The nodes will look like this:

Tech
        {
            id = antennas2
            state = Available
            cost = 15            
        }

Copy this and replace antennas2 part with node ids of the techs you want, cost with appropriate costs. Remove the nodes you want to make "unresearched", if any. The ids can be found in the ETT folder in GameData. Don't forget to make a backup of your persistent file, of course.

However, honestly, I would recommend that you start a new game as it's a completely different experience from stock or CTT.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, and I've checked already with no luck:

Is the M700 Survey Scanner no longer in the ETT?  I can't find it anywhere.  When I start a test game using the Stock Tech tree, it's present though.  What am I overlooking?

Thanx in Advance

I am so frustrated. High gain antennas are effectively locked out because they now require the parts to be purchased for funds. When I click to buy them, it doesn't register until the 4th click. It shows purchased, but upon exit and re-entry to R&D, the node goes back to needing funds! Please help

editing the save or the ETT .cfg file did not work for me

EDIT:  Fresh new install of KSP 1.2.2 and CKAN, installed ETT and started a new game. The same issue is there. In fact, the high gain antennas node is already unlocked and available for purchase without unlocking the previous node. However purchasing the node does not cause a permanent change, and reverts back after exiting R&D.

Rolled back to Version 20161125, had to buy the tech again, but this time is stuck after exiting R&D, then returning. Can this be fixed in Version v20161211?

Edited by zanie420
adding info

This is probably a side effect of updating ETT in a live game. I had to edit the persistent file by un-researching antennas1 and antennas2, adding a minimal cost to antennas1 and researching it again. Everything went well after that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.