[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

I've recently discovered this wonderful tech tree (and it is also the only unmanned-first tree I've been able to find) and been using it in a new career.  My favorite parts are how accessible certain technologies are- Rover science, for example, shouldn't logically take a huge amount of research to unlock like in stock/CTT, and the same can be said about many other tech nodes.

With that all said, I've found it doesn't play totally well with KSPIe.
Many upgrade nodes are missing (All 4 thermal rocket/jets are missing some of their upgrade nodes and don't properly shift to closed-cycle), and the pebble bed is way too far down the tree.  These both hamper any career efforts to create functional early-lategame spaceplanes (where normally, spending a few thousand science is rewarded with multimode engines with decent vacuum isp and infinite atmospheric thrust). As it is, only the large TORY and nuclear turbojets have an accessible closed-cycle mode

@bartekkru99 Ask away :)

@Maffif The mod was originally made for KSPIe (many revs ago) but the parts keep changing on me.  Hard to keep track of which comes first as I haven't played a campaign game with it lately.  I've been working on Near Future Tech.  Tell me what nodes you would like the parts in and I will review your suggestions and move things around.

Edited by Probus

@Probus I'll have to go and look if to see if I think the nuclear/thermal jets need moving, but I'm fairly sure some upgrade nodes aren't shown (although I think they may still be functional).

More obviously, the pebble bed reactor should be in whatever nuclear power node immediately follows the molten salt reactor; also, the upgrades for the pebble bed are missing or invisible.  After some more digging I've found the thermal turbojet closed-cycle/rocket upgrade isn't visible (its node is experimental rocketry, which in ETT is at the very end of the rocket tree- far removed from the rest of the nuclear/thermal power, but I leave that choice up to you; perhaps it should require a great deal of rocketry research to unlock)

Again, very much enjoying this tree. I've done an aviation oriented career and haven't touched surface launch rockets in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, recently, I have reinstalled my KSP with the help of CKAN, and what CKAN didn't move, I did myself, but from that point, the ETT doesn't work. It asks me to select the tech tree that I want, but when I select it and take look at the R&D, it just uses the stock tech tree. Here is my mod folder, if it helps

https://imgur.com/woj6fgd

Edited by MajesticKraken

I'm about to have a couple weeks off work.  Maybe I can play through a KSPIe campaign and add a lot of user comments into the tree.  I was hoping to do some work on it at Christmas, but never got around to it.  Sorry about the wait.  It's been a while since I have updated it.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:12 AM, MajesticKraken said:

Hey there, recently, I have reinstalled my KSP with the help of CKAN, and what CKAN didn't move, I did myself, but from that point, the ETT doesn't work. It asks me to select the tech tree that I want, but when I select it and take look at the R&D, it just uses the stock tech tree. Here is my mod folder, if it helps

https://imgur.com/woj6fgd

Try erasing and reinstalling the YongeTech mod or downloading it directly from SpaceDock. 

I didn't see any other tech tree mods in there.  If I missed one, remove all but the ETT tech tree.

• 1 month later...

I'm having problems getting tech tree editor to work, it throws exactly like it did for Grunf911

On 6/8/2016 at 9:55 PM, Grunf911 said:

i get: Input string was not in the correct format.

It does that for both yonge and stock. I did exactly what Grunf did but couldn't find any misspells. It won't even load the stock tech tree that is included in it's own folder 0_o.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I'm not 100% sure what this exactly means:

CTT is compatible but must be removed??

That does not make any sense to me.

I’m not sure what that means either. I think it had something to do with CKAN’s compatibility settings. I should probably just remove it. 

1 hour ago, DatBoi said:

Hello Probus! I was wondering why all of the nodes have really weird names and descriptions (i.e. title: basicfuelsystems_125 desc: 1.25 tank

There are various reasons. Most are just placeholders. I use them to help me remember what types of parts go where when I include a new part pack. There is a method to my madness. 

Just wanted to say a big thank you to both @Probus and @linuxgurugamer for their amazing work on this mod; this may not be the flashiest mod, but for me it's one that completely changes my approach to the game up to the point of allowing me to start playing it again as new.

(Also, it's curious to see how few mods deal with changing the stock tech tree; up to my knowledge, only SETI, Community Tech Tree and Engineering Tech Tree do that... Am I missing any other mod?)

13 minutes ago, Kermanzooming said:

Just wanted to say a big thank you to both @Probus and @linuxgurugamer for their amazing work on this mod; this may not be the flashiest mod, but for me it's one that completely changes my approach to the game up to the point of allowing me to start playing it again as new.

(Also, it's curious to see how few mods deal with changing the stock tech tree; up to my knowledge, only SETI, Community Tech Tree and Engineering Tech Tree do that... Am I missing any other mod?)

There is/was the Historical Progression Tech Tree

3 hours ago, DracoSilverpath said:

Would really love to see this mod updated...It seems msot of the tech trees are all but abandoned at this point :(

I am sure when @linuxgurugamer has a chance, he will update the Yonge dll. He is very busy I’m sure. I have made several updates to the ETT ready for 1.4.1. 

I was curious about trying out the Engineering Tech Tree mod, since for some reason, the tech tree seems to really drive my game (for better or worse), but given your post, I'm getting the feeling it might not be usable in 1.4.1.

Should I risk giving it a spin, in your opinion, or just hold on until it's updated?

1 minute ago, AmpCat said:

I was curious about trying out the Engineering Tech Tree mod, since for some reason, the tech tree seems to really drive my game (for better or worse), but given your post, I'm getting the feeling it might not be usable in 1.4.1.

Should I risk giving it a spin, in your opinion, or just hold on until it's updated?

Its not compatible with 1.4.1 until the Yongtech mod is updated for 1.4.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.