[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

6 hours ago, Probus said:

The editor lets you edit that tree. Right now the editor is slightly borked. Instead of showing you the name of the part, it just shows the word “nothing” for all parts in 1.4.x. That is my dilemma. 

Aaaaah. Thanks for the explanation, hope I can find some time to learn the in and outs of modding so I can be more helpful.

Edited by Kermanzooming
Words

• 2 weeks later...

Released ETT for 1.4.3 and the Making History Expansion.  Used Module Manager instead of Yongedevil's tech tree editor.

Changelog:

Updated to 1.4.3

Added support for Making History

Split engines to branch that progresses based on thrust and ISP

Various minor enhancements

(Sorry, no procedural fairings yet)

EDIT: Looks like I may have missed a few stray parts from the 1.4.3 change.  I will fix this.  It won't break saves when updated. 

Edited by Probus
Stray Parts

• 5 weeks later...

So I made a little tweak to my ETT config for the USI Sounding Rockets parts. 

Basically, since they are designed really to be used in the beginning of a career (imo) as a quick way to make some money and science from contracts, and are supposed to be cheap the buy/use, I realised that they were very expensive to get from an R&D perspective spread out the way they were before (especially playing on harder settings that reduce science gains). So, I took your "model rocketry" node and expanded it in to 4 nodes that contain all of the Sounding Rocket parts:

RDNode
	{
		id = modelRockets
		nodepart = modelRockets
		title = Model Rockets
		description = Seriously Jeb, these ARE real rockets!
		cost = 1
		pos = -1440,550,-5
		icon = RDicon_propulsionSystems
		anyParent = False
		hideEmpty = True
		hideIfNoBranchParts = False
		scale = 0.6
		Parent
		{
			parentID = start
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
		Unlocks
		{
			part = SR_Payload_03
			part = SR_Payload_04	
			part = SR_Rocket_35_02
			part = SR_Wing_02
		}
	}
	RDNode
	{
		id = modelRockets2
		nodepart = modelRockets2
		title = Model Rockets 2
		cost = 5
		pos = -1315,550,-5
		anyParent = False
		hideEmpty = True
		scale = 0.6
		Parent
		{
			parentID = modelRockets
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
		Unlocks
		{

part = SR_Stack_Battery
			part = SR_Rocket_625_01
			part = SR_Adapter
			part = SR_Nosecone_625
			part = SR_PayloadFairing_625
			part = SR_PayloadTruss_625
		}
	}
	RDNode
	{
		id = modelRockets3
		nodepart = modelRockets3
		title = Model Rockets 3
		cost = 10
		pos = -1190,550,-5
		anyParent = False
		hideEmpty = True
		scale = 0.6
		Parent
		{
			parentID = modelRockets2
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
		Unlocks
		{
			part = SR_InlineProbe
			part = SR_Aerospike
			part = SR_Decoupler
			part = SR_Tank_35_01
			part = SR_Tank_625_01
			part = SR_PackChute_35
		}
	}
	RDNode
	{
		id = modelRockets4
		nodepart = modelRockets4
		title = Model Rocket Stability
		description = Keep your cardboard tubes pointing the right way.
		cost = 25
		pos = -1065,550,-5
		icon = RDicon_stability
		anyParent = False
		hideEmpty = True
		scale = 0.6
		Parent
		{
			parentID = modelRockets3
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
		Unlocks
		{
			part = SR_Wing_01
			part = SR_Gyroscope
		}
	}

Edited by fwdixon

• 3 weeks later...

@Probus

So I've undertaken a little project with ETT if you are ok with it: 

I have stripped out the tech tree file to be a framework only, no parts. I am currently mapping each node on the tree (I have 68 mapped so far and am not even 1/2 way through, boy there are a lot of nodes!) I am then creating a config file for each supported mod.

The idea is to make it easier to customize the tree for different play styles (e.g. unmanned before manned, historical progression, airplanes first), and to make it easier to add mod support in the future. 

Basically the impetus was that I am trying to do a historical progression career save starting with aircraft, and found that due to where many of my parts fall in the tree, I have to upgrade the RnD building to access the nodes well before I have the funds to do so (due to my settings, the 1st upgrade is 500K).

Anyway, will post the results here when I'm done. 

Oh, and for airplanes first, it will just be a MM patch that adds supersonic flight as a parent to the 1st manned command module node.

On 7/15/2018 at 4:55 PM, GrubbyZebra said:

In other news, I've just finished mapping the nodes to a relational array. 

There are 212 nodes and it takes 128,030 science points to unlock them all at their base cost (difficulty multipliers will increase this, of course).

That's a lot of Science!

So I figured if I was going to go through all this, I may as well incorporate a request from elsewhere in the thread, so I am making the tree a more conventionally left-to-right tree instead of the spiral tree. I also pruned some duplicate nodes between ETT and CTT, so I'm down to 204 nodes, but remapped the science cost to increase approximately exponentially by tier. Using a cubic relationship across the 20 tiers, the most expensive node was reduced to 8000 science from 10000, but the total science required to unlock the whole tree actually increased slightly to 129,983. To provide more granularity for the early game, tiers below 7 were split into 2, 3, or 4 sub-tiers.

I've just finished mapping out all the coordinates for the nodes (by hand, because it was easier to just make a big grid), and have drawn all the relationships between them. Now I am starting the arduous process of building the text file manually (I am trying to remove the yong tech tree dependency) using the stock tree as a template.

Will post screenshots when I am done....

Edited by GrubbyZebra

Another update:

My tree is 100% Stock and CTT compatible (it actually will require CTT due to node and icon usage). It is no longer is dependent on Yonge Tech Tree.

All old dependencies are removed and stock/CTT nodes are repositioned at load. I built the tree in excel and then use a macro to actual generate the cfg file (makes life soooooo much easier).

Next is to generate the descriptions for the 83 ETT exclusive nodes (the descriptions will be in a separate file to allow for localization). On a side note, due to making the tree build off of stock and CTT, it now has 229 nodes and takes 179,048 science to unlock all of them.:o:D

@ProbusAt some point before posting any files I'll fork from ETT on github and start making pull requests.

6 hours ago, GrubbyZebra said:

Another update:

My tree is 100% Stock and CTT compatible (it actually will require CTT due to node and icon usage). It is no longer is dependent on Yonge Tech Tree.

All old dependencies are removed and stock/CTT nodes are repositioned at load. I built the tree in excel and then use a macro to actual generate the cfg file (makes life soooooo much easier).

Next is to generate the descriptions for the 83 ETT exclusive nodes (the descriptions will be in a separate file to allow for localization). On a side note, due to making the tree build off of stock and CTT, it now has 229 nodes and takes 179,048 science to unlock all of them.:o:D

@ProbusAt some point before posting any files I'll fork from ETT on github and start making pull requests.

You might want to just branch off (ha) from ETT completely and make your own forum thread. I'd follow it.

I'm still going to follow this one, though, even though I've kind of taken Unmanned Before Manned under my wing.

2 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

You might want to just branch off (ha) from ETT completely and make your own forum thread. I'd follow it.

I'm still going to follow this one, though, even though I've kind of taken Unmanned Before Manned under my wing.

Well, as usual with me this project started as a simple reconfiguring of ETT (empty frame and then cfg files for parts packs) and ended up being a complete rebuild of it. So I may, but then I'd have to come up with another name...

16 minutes ago, GrubbyZebra said:

Well, as usual with me this project started as a simple reconfiguring of ETT (empty frame and then cfg files for parts packs) and ended up being a complete rebuild of it. So I may, but then I'd have to come up with another name...

I know. It started with me with just wanted to put a single part from a mod in the UbM tree, and then became a lot of mods. Then I decided to make RPM/MAS cockpits for some reason.

(the reason is that I like them and do a lot of IVA flying)

Edited by theonegalen

So here's where I'm at:

lu8fV9P.png

Gotta say, I kinda don't love the layout change. Without a means to control the connecting lines, it still gets a bit confusing because some lines go underneath or over top nodes that they are not connected to. 

Some notes:

There are 4 start nodes, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Elementary Science. The node ID's are stock nodes from the early tree (engineering101, start, electrics, and basicScience) to ensure compatibility with any parts pack.

Other "Engineering" nodes are Structural Engineering, Marine Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, and Logisitics Engineering.

The nodes with gear icons are the ETT-specific nodes that I haven't assigned icons or descriptions to yet. This is on the plan for tomorrow if I have a slow day at work. 

You'll notice the tree is very "columnar". Every node in a given column has the same research cost (and it was easier to use Excel to get this layout than one that was more creative).

But hey, I was happy it loaded with only about 6 spelling errors to correct!

hope this is the right place for this. have spent the last 2-3 hour using   tech tree edit from ProbusThrax/ETT github. so far have done a good bit of rearranging and fleshing out empty node from parts from mods i currently have installed. still a lot of fine tuning  to do. so far i have several parts replaces in mode that just seem to make more sense as far as unlock order. so far no issues as far as in gameplay tho not fully tested in a play through. waiting to fine tune the config a bit more for that. can provide mod list i currently use and copy of config so far. if anyone wants a look and provide idea/advice fore farther rearrangement.

unfortunately i have taken itupon my self to break a few of the rules listed on the github instructions that may dismiss this work entirely. as in moving squad parts, adding parts in the none cattagories, cheat unlocks and sandbox show no issues that i can notice.

may whole reasoning behind this is that the current config suplied by ett has many advanced parts placed in bottom tier unlocks, more simple unlockes placed in advanced node, station parts clumped together spread across opposite ends of the tree. and many empty nodes that could be filled by seperating some parts lumped into one node that are 2-3 upgrades of the same parts.  hope this helps in anyway for some wanting to flesh it out more with a more logical progression. tho if its unusable due to rearrangeing of squad parts and whatnot i completely understand.    either way let me know if anywant would like to help with this, wants mod list, and current state of ett.cfg file

Edited by nordus76

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, SuumCuique said:

I just installed ETT, but for some reason it looks really bad.

https://imgur.com/a/sjM2NiB
Lines are going through nodes and for some weird reason the arrows in the propulsion path at the bottom do not line up with the nodes at all.

No way to control if lines go thru nodes (at least not directly), which is annoying to say the least. KSP draws those procedurally. 

As for the arrows on the propulsion branch, the lineTo and lineFrom parameters need to be flipped on those nodes (right now it is lineFrom = LEFT lineTo = RIGHT, needs to be lineFrom = RIGHT lineTo = LEFT)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.