[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

Hi everyone i have a little problem i usually used to have CTT but than i found this and installed it, the problem is i removed the CTT folder manually but the tech tree is still the same :( is it becouse HETTN ??? or what to do ? btw i usually use CKAN to install/uninstall but i had to delete CTT manually now becouse of KSPI-E ^^

Edit: nvm: HETTN was the foult and after i uninstalled it it still left the Tech Tree inside the folder, but there are alot of empty nodes now like the Heavy Command Pod Node but i need it to get Specialized one ^^ well at least it works :D

Edit2:
ok sorry to tell that but after looking more deeply in it, i cant play with ETT even the tech tree is just cool it sucks that i cant use HETTN thers just too many empty nodes even with about 168 mods and more than half of them are adding stuff...

Edit3: someone mentioned that i should install HETTN again since ETT works now but i tryed that alredy it just reverts back to standard style

Edited by Shoryuken
adding

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've gone back and read over the last 10 pages or so of this thread and haven't been able to find anything definitive that would help me, so hoping to get some assistance if I could.

I've tried adding ETT on a clean install (v1.4.5 with expansion) and while the tree itself is there, it appears that parts are listed under nodes based on both the ETT rules as well as stock.  For example, the MK1 Pod is available right from the start (stock rules) but also shows up under the node for Manned Space Exploration (ETT config).

I've tried adding the USI Sounding Rockets mod to test how that works and having similar issue - parts are listed under both their stock tech tree nodes as well as the ETT nodes.

In order to try identify the root cause I have done a complete clean install of the game, with only the ETT mod added.  Also then added YongeTech plugin to see if that made any difference (it didn't).  As an aside, with YongeTech, CTT and ETT all installed I am not given any options on a new save game as to which tech tree I want to use - it's going straight to stock.

Using only the CTT add-on, I have also deleted the PartsDatabase.CFG file and MM caches from the GameData folder.  Have checked the persistent.sfs in the save folder and noted the TechTreeURL = GameData/ModuleManager.TechTree, not the ETT/EngTechTree.cfg as Dep suggested back on pg 31 of this thread.

Note that all of the mods installed are done manually by download from Spacedock, I'm not using CKAN if that might make a difference.  Appreciate any suggestions / support.

2 hours ago, Strych74 said:

OK, I've gone back and read over the last 10 pages or so of this thread and haven't been able to find anything definitive that would help me, so hoping to get some assistance if I could.

I've tried adding ETT on a clean install (v1.4.5 with expansion) and while the tree itself is there, it appears that parts are listed under nodes based on both the ETT rules as well as stock.  For example, the MK1 Pod is available right from the start (stock rules) but also shows up under the node for Manned Space Exploration (ETT config).

I've tried adding the USI Sounding Rockets mod to test how that works and having similar issue - parts are listed under both their stock tech tree nodes as well as the ETT nodes.

In order to try identify the root cause I have done a complete clean install of the game, with only the ETT mod added.  Also then added YongeTech plugin to see if that made any difference (it didn't).  As an aside, with YongeTech, CTT and ETT all installed I am not given any options on a new save game as to which tech tree I want to use - it's going straight to stock.

Using only the CTT add-on, I have also deleted the PartsDatabase.CFG file and MM caches from the GameData folder.  Have checked the persistent.sfs in the save folder and noted the TechTreeURL = GameData/ModuleManager.TechTree, not the ETT/EngTechTree.cfg as Dep suggested back on pg 31 of this thread.

Note that all of the mods installed are done manually by download from Spacedock, I'm not using CKAN if that might make a difference.  Appreciate any suggestions / support.

So a few things:

CTT and ETT cannot be installed at the same time (they will produce several fun conflicts that actually aren't so fun)

Part node assignments are also not always foolproof with modded tech trees (an issue I am running in to with ETTR, even on new installs and new games).

I know this isn't very helpful, but hopefully it provides some insights

7 hours ago, GrubbyZebra said:

So a few things:

CTT and ETT cannot be installed at the same time (they will produce several fun conflicts that actually aren't so fun)

Part node assignments are also not always foolproof with modded tech trees (an issue I am running in to with ETTR, even on new installs and new games).

I know this isn't very helpful, but hopefully it provides some insights

Thanks for your response Grub.  As a point of clarification, I only installed CTT AFTER having attempted running ETT stand alone without success, and mainly to see whether by adding CTT I would get any sort of UI regarding tech tree selection (which I understood YongeTech was supposed to do, but I'm not seeing any dialog/option on new game to select a tech tree).

Tried a couple of things, here's what I've come across so far:

With USI Sounding Rockets mod installed, the node for 'Model Rocketry' isn't shown anywhere in the tech tree UNLESS the Hide Empty Tech Tree mod is installed.

On creating a new game, and going strait to the Research Centre, the screen 'flashes' a tech tree before going to the ETT layout.  I can't tell if the first flash is the stock tree or ETT, it happens too quickly, but a check of the persist file in the save game shows that the TechTreeURL = ModuleManager.TechTree.  The values in that file mirror what's in the ETT.cfg file, but the game has already unlocked several stock parts (like the MK1 Pod) even though according to the ETT rules it should be locked until the Manned Space Exploration node is unlocked.

I've edited the persist file to point to TechTreeURL = ETT/EngTechTree.cfg, and also deleted out all of the unlocked parts.  Reloading the save seems to rebuild my parts list so that I only have those parts unlocked that ETT says I should (so MK1Pod is locked, but ProbeCoreSphere is unlocked).

The behaviour seems consistent with ETT becoming the active tech tree only AFTER a new game is created, at which point the game has already executed a check against the stock rules to determine which parts should be available based on the start node.  I would have thought the mod would edit the subroutines for creating a new game so that the ETT tech tree was in place during the creation process, not implemented afterwards.  Unless I am missing something entirely?

I will keep playing around with it, see if there's anything further I can find.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, GrubbyZebra said:

That node is being set by another mod and KSP can't draw the connection to the prerequisite node.

But i fixed the problem installing 1.4.1 version mod (was using 1.4.3 with CKAN). Anywey, dont worry, all is perfectly now. In fact, i am editing my own tech tree.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2018 at 3:06 PM, Mighty1 said:

Anyone tried this with 1.5? I have and it works, but "Advanced SRB" node is missing and I cannot research following nodes because of it. Any ideas for a fix? 

Do you have Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes installed? If you do, you might need to edit the ETT tech tree file. Check here for why.

Search for all "_v2" parts, and either put the matching non-v2 parts in the same nodes as their v2 parts, or just delete the non-v2 parts since I think they're obsolete.

For example delete "probeCoreOcto2", but keep "probeCoreOcto2_v2". Or put them in the same node.

21 hours ago, ev0 said:

Do you have Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes installed? If you do, you might need to edit the ETT tech tree file. Check here for why.

Search for all "_v2" parts, and either put the matching non-v2 parts in the same nodes as their v2 parts, or just delete the non-v2 parts since I think they're obsolete.

For example delete "probeCoreOcto2", but keep "probeCoreOcto2_v2". Or put them in the same node.

The solution is not that simple as i don't have it installed. Thanks for trying thou.

On 11/1/2018 at 11:14 PM, Mighty1 said:

The solution is not that simple as i don't have it installed. Thanks for trying thou.

Hey, have you solved your poblem btw?

Im thinking of getting this mod aswell for my 1.5 game but if you have nodes missing then there is no point of me getting this as well.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, ondert said:

I assume this works with the latest 1.6.x version?

Not this version. Sorry. Someone else has picked up the reins and is supporting this mod right now. You can go back through the thread a bit and find the link. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2015 at 9:04 PM, Probus said:

ETT is a pinwheel design that is grouped into branches of related engineering disciplines.

TechTree.png

Premise

Do the Kerbals discover rocketry before winged flight? You decide. Both winged flight and rockets first options.  ETT also has an "End Game" so you can play the campaign game with a built in goal.

I love to hear new ideas and don't be afraid to let me know if I have a part or two out of place.

Listed on CKAN or Download at SpaceDock - May break saved games.

rekkerd-patreon-banner.png

Patreon Link or even better, contribute to the tech tree by adding a simple config of a/your part pack!

New GitHub Repository for Contributors:

https://github.com/ProbusThrax/ETT.git (Outdated.  Will update soon.) Readme file has instructions.

Scope

A tech tree based on engineering/scientific principles... mostly, that is challenging to unlock yet fun to play through.

Goals & Requirements

1. Branches of the tech tree based on engineering disciplines.

2. The Kerbals discover rocket powered flight before they figure out winged flight. (or vice-versa)

3. Unlocking the entire tech tree is not required but must involve flights to nearby planets.

4. Parts that generate science are spread throughout the disciplines and are not based on which branch you focus on (e.g. Flight, Liquid fueled, Solid, Exotic).

5. The player may unlock just the branches that they are interested in.

6. "End Game", so you can play the campaign game with a built in goal.

Highly Recommended for FLIGHT FIRST option:

• Firespitter, SXT and/or KAX for propeller parts.
  • Take Command to use the external command seat for barnstorming... I mean science.

Highly Recommended for ROCKETS first:

• Interstellar
  • KW Rocketry
  • MRS
  • SpaceY
  • FASA

Recommended for the tree overall:

• Kerbal Engineer or MechJeb for delta V calculations.
  • DMagic Orbital Science to boost your science output. @Necro

You can play this tree completely stock, but I believe it is the most fun with several part packs. The many nodes of the tree limits the amount of parts that show up in the editor which makes it easier to find the part you are looking for.

Included:

Integrated But Untested for 1.4 Part Packs

I've made ETT compatible with nodes used by @NerteaChris Adderley's CTT (click here) but CTT itself is not compatible with an ETT campaign. 

Thanks to all those who have helped me get this far, @yongedevil@troyfawkes, @NathanKell, @Artfact, @Bahamut@inigma

@odya-kun, @SpaceNomad, @linuxgurugamer

Keep the feedback coming.

Reveal hidden contents

Changelog May 25th v20180525 Updated to 1.4.3, Added support for Making History, Split engines to branch that progresses based on thrust and ISP, Various minor enhancements

Changelog July 4th 20170704 Recompile to 1.3, thanks to linuxgurugamer.

Changelog December 22nd v20161222 Antennas 2 fix.

Changelog December 11th v20161211 Increased the overall difficulty of the tree.  Moved several nodes to new positions. Updated Interstellar Parts and Nodes. Began adding Contares and BlueDog.

Changelog November 25th v20161125 Updated DMagic's EVA struts and transfer pipes, Smart Parts, Universal Storage, Launchers Pack, and Surface Experiment Pack. Fixed some nodes.

Changelog November 12th v20161112 Added or Updated Cacteye, Rover Science, Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus, Near Future Construction, Near Future Spacecraft, Extra-Planetary Launchpads, SpaceY, Infernal Robotics, Rocket Factory, USI Life Support, USI Exploration Pack, USI Survivability Pack, USI Sounding Rockets, USI Core, Kerbal Atomics, Dark Side Technology, Real Chutes

Changelog October 24th v20161024 Updated AmpYear Power Manager, KAS, Kerbal Planetary Base System, KIS (Kerbal Inventory System), Lithobrake Exploration TechnologiesMKS/OKS, MRS (Modular Rocket Systems), SpaceY, Station Parts Expansion.  Added Konstruction, CxAerospace, Landertron.

Changelog October 18th v20161018 Added 6 nodes from CTT for Interstellar Extended compatibility.

Changelog October 16th v20161016 Recompiled DLLs for compatibility with 1.2.

Changelog June 3rd v20160603 Added Stock Launch Pad, Tantares LV update, Re-arranged branches for future dependencies, @Artfact: added Final Frontier Nodes, Mk3 Hypersonic System, AoA Tech parts

Changelog May 30th v20160530 Added Blue Dog Design Buero, Retrofuture, DMagic's Pipes & Struts, BDArmory.  Thanks to @Artfact and @Gaiiden!

Changelog May 26th, 2016: 1.1.2 v20160526 Added: B9, Tundra Exploration, VDC HullCams, Surface Experiments; Updated: KWRocketry AIES OPT and other tweaks. THANKS @Artfact

Changelog May 15th, 2016: 1.1.2 v20160521 Added Near Future Construction, Kerbal Atomics, CryoTanks, OPT, Insanity's mk2/mk3 expansion pack, Mk3 mini expansion, Hoolgan Lab's Airships, Aviation Cockpits, Kerbalism; Updated Firespitter, KAX, SXT, and Tweaked various part placements.  THANKS @Artfact

Changelog May 15th, 2016: 1.1.2 v20160515 Recompiled Yonge's Tech tree to 1.1.2; Added: Rocket Factory, Rovers and Roadsters, The Kerbonov Pack, MOLE, HabTech, Monkey Business Parts, Karibou Rover, Deep Freeze Continued; Updated: Stock Extension, MKS/OKS, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems

Changelog February 5th, 2016: 1.0.5 20160205 Added @inigma's suggestions; Updated the research costs for the flight branch to fall inline with the rocket side of the tree; Moved some of @Porkjet's new Mk3 part's to the correct nodes in the tree along with some other misplaced parts; Added support for DarkSideTechnology's Centrifuge.

Changelog January 15th, 2016: 1.0.5 20160115 Added Kerbal Planetary Base Systems; Overhauled SpaceStations --> Colonization tree structure; Fixed progression issues with TantaresLV; odya-kun started OKS/MKS

Changelog January 12th, 2016: 1.0.5_20160112 Revamped Exotic Engines Branch. Updated a lot of new parts in old part packs; Added: Nuclear Rockets & Kethane; @odya-kun contributed: USI Life Support; @SpaceNomad contributed: RLA Stockalike parts

Changelog November 9th, 2015: 1.0.5_20151109 Added support for 1.0.5 release.

Changelog September 18th, 2015: 1.0.4_20150918 Added TantaresLV, Tarsier Space Technology, Cryogenic Engines, SpaceY Expansion and added a new node on the end of 7.5m Rocketry.

Changelog September 7th, 2015: 1.0.3 20150907 Added support for Lack's SXT Airbags and RoverDude's Survivability Airbags.

Changelog September 5th, 2015: 1.0.3 20150905 Added Heavy Command Modules node; Added support for Near Future Propulsion and Near Future Spacecraft.

Changelog September 3rd, 2015: 1.0.2 20150903 Merged Goo Branch; Split Modern Physics into Nuclear Reactors and Nuclear Propulsion; Added support for Solaris Hypernautics, Corvus, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems

Changelog August 9th, 2015: 1.0.1 20150809 Added Near Future: Electrical, Fuel Tanks Plus, Habitat Pack, Lithobrake Exploration Technologies, and "Resource Exploitation" node. Fixed Procedural Fairings upgrade nodes

Changelog July 31st, 2015: 1.0 20150731 Added ALCOR, Asteroid Day, Aviation Lights, KAX, KSPX, & Stockalike Parts for Useful Esthetics

Changelog June 22nd, 2015: 1.0 20150622 Added 1.0.3 radiators.

Changelog June 10th, 2015: 1.0 Release

Released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 license. You are free to redistribute and modify the work so long as it is not used for commercial purposes.

Can you replace the rp0 tech tree with. Can you use this with RO

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, Fishfan said:

Hello, I apologize if I am resurrecting an old thread, I didn't see any link to a new thread for this mod.  Has anyone tried using this in 1.7?  Does it work still?

It didn't work right even in 1.4.x due to lots of bugs and author ignoring github pull requests. That's a pity, as it was the most sane tech tree ever released.

• 2 weeks later...

I no longer have the Maneuver Planning node. I've got the correct tech nodes selected as well as my tracking station upgraded. I've read this thread and have tried everything that I could see that was closely related to my issue.

It seems that there were some Mechjeb upgrades recently, as there is a new option called Aircraft Approach & Autoland which I never noticed that wording below. Could something have changed and now ETT no longer correctly unlocks the Maneuver Planner feature?

• 3 months later...

Hi o/. I'm back after ~2 year hiatus (I had so many games I'd been buying on sale that I had to try them).  The KSP 2 announcement sucked me right back in. 

Thanks to those who helped keep ETT alive. I am going to try and resurrect this version of the mod. All the @yongedevil mods used to run and maintain this tree are out of date (of course). I have to have a tech tree editing solution/GUI that is very good if I am to keep this mod updated. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. 

Is there still any interest in this tech tree concept?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.