[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

Great! Made a small Patreon pledge for all your labors.

Besides, is it bad to have both ETT and CTT in my GameData? CKAN forcibly installs CTT together with Interstellar Extended, which in turn is in ETT's suggested mods. It sounds like a trouble, especially for new players who will simply follow your suggestions and encounter a tech trees conflict. I deleted the CTT folder manually and hope it won't break anything.

PS: CKAN still lists ETT's max KSP version as 1.1.3.

Edited by garwel

9 hours ago, garwel said:

Great! Made a small Patreon pledge for all your labors.

Besides, is it bad to have both ETT and CTT in my GameData? CKAN forcibly installs CTT together with Interstellar Extended, which in turn is in ETT's suggested mods. It sounds like a trouble, especially for new players who will simply follow your suggestions and encounter a tech trees conflict. I deleted the CTT folder manually and hope it won't break anything.

PS: CKAN still lists ETT's max KSP version as 1.1.3.

Thank you garwel.  I really appreciate it.

When CTT is installed alongside of ETT, ETT will take precedence.  The only problem that occurs (besides a CKAN conflict) is when trying to use a save game that was using CTT (or the stock tech tree) and then installing ETT.  Both tech trees are then displayed over each other.

Maybe this version of ETT will update CKAN's listing to 1.2.

Any idea why KER items are tripled in the Start node? Is it ETT or is it KER itself? I'm using the dev version of the latter.

Besides, don't you think Communotron 16 is not needed at the Start? Probe cores all have built-in 5 km antennas, which should suffice for the first few missions.

Edited by garwel

20 minutes ago, garwel said:

@OME You need Take Command for that. But it hasn't been updated for 1.2 yet, it seems.

Thanks for reply. So that means it just a kinda ornament for now? :(

And BTW, I wonder how to adjust my rocket's direction without RCS and manned pod at the start of the ETT tech tree? I try to use minimal solid fuel engine to do that....But did our predecessor use the same method?

5 hours ago, OME said:

And BTW, I wonder how to adjust my rocket's direction without RCS and manned pod at the start of the ETT tech tree? I try to use minimal solid fuel engine to do that....But did our predecessor use the same method?

I usually play aimed to get my first SAS-enabled probe core and as much science as I can get.  Then work the tree depending on my goals for the campaign game.

On 10/25/2016 at 0:48 PM, garwel said:

Any idea why KER items are tripled in the Start node? Is it ETT or is it KER itself? I'm using the dev version of the latter.

I'm not sure.  I will have to check and see.

I would like to give a suggestion in changing some parts in the tree.

Part: Universal Storage: Atmospheric Sensor
Reason: the Atm. Sensor is in the invention node, so its U.S. part probably should be there too.

Part: Universal Storage: Science Bay
Reason: Together with the first U.S. adapter (QuadCore)

Part: Universal Storage: KIS Container
Reason: Together with the first U.S. adapter (QuadCore) and first KIS Container

FROM
dmUSAtmosSense @ generalConstruction
US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay @ simpleCommandModules
US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer @ advConstruction

TO
dmUSAtmosSense @ scienceTech
US_1M110_Wedge_ScienceBay @ generalConstruction
US_1R110_Wedge_KISContainer @ generalConstruction

How will this affect contract gameplay? The idea is interesting but given that the tech tree is much more complex, I'm concerned you might get advanced contracts that require parts/engines that now take much more time to unlock.

Is this based off Community Tech Tree? If not, is it more complete?

Edited by 1990eam

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:36 PM, garwel said:

Would love to see CactEye and RoverScience Revisited supported by ETT...

EDIT: Interstellar's new power beaming parts are also available way too early, IMO.

Will do and I will check the power beaming part placement.  Are these the Interstellar power beaming parts because I left them pretty much the way @FreeThinker wanted them.

21 hours ago, 1990eam said:

How will this affect contract gameplay? The idea is interesting but given that the tech tree is much more complex, I'm concerned you might get advanced contracts that require parts/engines that now take much more time to unlock.

Is this based off Community Tech Tree? If not, is it more complete?

I have spent 100's of hours tweaking this tree for contract gameplay @1990eam  The hard part is if you split a 45 point node in the stock tree for instance, the 2 nodes you make have to add up to a little more than 45 points or things will get way out of balance really quickly.  That being said, I think the stock tree is way to easy to complete as you don't really even have to leave Kerbin's SOI, just hit the Mun and Minmus biomes.

It is not based on CTT, but I have added all of @Nertea's nodes plus many more of my own.

Edited by Probus

16 hours ago, Probus said:

Will do and I will check the power beaming part placement.  Are these the Interstellar power beaming parts because I left them pretty much the way @FreeThinker wanted them.

The power beaming parts (there are half a dozen of these, I think) are unlocked at Advanced Electrics, which costs only 15 science points and only requires Electronics to become available. I think this is way too early as power beaming is obviously a very advanced, late-game technology.

On another note, I think the placement of many USI-LS parts (specifically, 3 sizes of Fertilizer Tanks, 4 Nom-O-Matics + their legacy counterparts, RT-500 & RT-5000 Recycling Modules, Observation Cupola, and Viewing Cupola) in Survivability is also incorrect. First, because they are available waaay too early (actually only requiring 5 science points to unlock) compared to all other manned spaceflight technologies. Second, because the Survivability branch mostly deals with chutes and not with recycling and recreation. I suggest putting them into Long-Term Habitation and/or Space Stations sections. Not sure about specific nodes as I haven't reached those yet (and I play with Fog of Tech).

• 2 weeks later...

Released a new update for the Engineering Tech Tree.  See download links on first page.  Here is the changelog:

Added or Updated Cacteye, Rover Science, Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus, Near Future Construction, Near Future Spacecraft, Extra-Planetary Launchpads, SpaceY, Infernal Robotics, Rocket Factory, USI Life Support, USI Exploration Pack, USI Survivability Pack, USI Sounding Rockets, USI Core, Kerbal Atomics, Dark Side Technology, Real Chutes

Also tried to implement many of your suggestions.  Thank you for your help.  I still have a lot of work to do but I will update ETT regularly.

FYI, I have not updated github yet.

23 hours ago, ev0 said:

Is the Unplaced node supposed to be visible? I see the node after starting a new game, no other mods installed.

It really shouldn't be.  I use it for maintenance of the mod.  I will take care of it in the next release.  Thanks!

I have also created a life support branch off of the manned nodes.  This will be ready also.

Edited by Probus

Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of this mod and am in no way complaining passive-aggressively as it may come off as, but...

How do I fix this/what am I doing wrong with this:

YGmNVtL.png

I have used this mod in other versions but this is my first attempt with it in 1.2.1.  I would love any help.  Thanks a ton. 

Edit:  I am using Hide Empty Tech Nodes addon, but when I'm not, there ARE empty nodes which I never encountered before.

Edited by Cornholio

10 hours ago, Cornholio said:

Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of this mod and am in no way complaining passive-aggressively as it may come off as, but...

YGmNVtL.png

I have used this mod in other versions but this is my first attempt with it in 1.2.1.  I would love any help.  Thanks a ton. 

Edit:  I am using Hide Empty Tech Nodes addon, but when I'm not, there ARE empty nodes which I never encountered before.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I see how to fix this. I rarely see this kind of problem as I test with many part packs installed. 

On 11/22/2016 at 0:03 PM, Cornholio said:

YGmNVtL.png

Just wondering, did you use the v0.7 pre-release of Hide Empty Nodes? It might have caused the error:blush: Although it should reset if you remove my mod and restart the game...

Edited by ev0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.