[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

Not sure if any one else experienced this but I get huge amounts of lag when using this mod with realism overhaul. I only experience this when I am looking at the space station. If I go to the build screen no lag. If I test my aircraft, lag is gone as well.

This only happens with RO, if I turn off RO in CKAN then works fine. Also I am only using your tech pack. Is their a reason this is happening? I cant find any conflicts.

This.... sounds more like a too-many-parts-on-the-screen issue than anything related with a tech tree mod.

This.... sounds more like a too-many-parts-on-the-screen issue than anything related with a tech tree mod.

Sorry, Its not the actual space station (I didnt mean that, I had a brain fart on how to describe it), its the Home base that lags. Trying to skip time lags out, as well as looking through the tech tree. I cant see why these two conflict. If I turn off one or the other, they work fine with no lag no matter the amount of mods. Im not using any tech mods or career mods either. And I done countless testing switching between mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I will be working on a version of this tech tree for RO/RSS (Maybe call it RP1??). Gonna be relying heavily on PJF, NathanKell, and Felger. If you are interested leave a comment below. If you want to contribute, please PM me. Looks like a lot of work so it will probably not go into full swing until after the 1.1 release.

• 2 weeks later...

I have encountered a problem with NF Electrical. I have scanned it over a couple of times now, but the tree (at least for me) misses the radiator panels from NF Electrical. I had figured they should have been along the other ingame radiators or further back along Thermodynamics, but hey are not. http://i.imgur.com/MOeUuh3.png

I have encountered a problem with NF Electrical. I have scanned it over a couple of times now, but the tree (at least for me) misses the radiator panels from NF Electrical. I had figured they should have been along the other ingame radiators or further back along Thermodynamics, but hey are not. http://i.imgur.com/MOeUuh3.png

Yep, It looks like I missed 'em. I will fix and release an updated copy. Thanks for letting me know.

Neephington, I don't think those radiator panels are from NF Electrical... Or at least the version I have installed (I see them in the NF Electrical images). Let me check into it and see what I've missed.

EDIT: I see what happened: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124391-1-02-Heat-Control-Manage-your-ship-s-heat%21-not-functional-in-1-04 As soon as Heat Control becomes functional in the latest rev of KSP I will be sure to include it. I love Nertea's work!

Edited by Probus

Thanks for the answer. The NF electrical mod had their own heat radiators before 1.04. It seem though that Nertea has moved out the radiator panels in favor for stock ones, which is a shame because stock ones are horrid to look at. Keep up the hard work you put into the mod, both you and everyone helping.

I really feel like it would be much better if you separated the one big file into different ones for each mod. Is there a technical reason for not doing this? I am currently going through the thing to try and organize things a little better for my own play through and I find it very difficult to manage everything. It's very frustrating to keep having to go back and forth between things in the same file as they are listed by node and not by mod. It doesn't help that I don't know the part names, of course, but still... This becomes more aggravating when some parts of various mods are listed while others are not, and even sometimes -old- parts that no longer exist within a mod are still listed in the cfg file (for example with OKS/MKS parts). Plus, I don't use all the mods that are listed, so there's some parts I won't recognize at all. I feel it would be easier on yourself as well if you separated each mod into its own config file. I've also noticed some parts are listed twice, separating the mods into different config files could help prevent that from occurring.

Edited by Flayer

I really feel like it would be much better if you separated the one big file into different ones for each mod. Is there a technical reason for not doing this? I am currently going through the thing to try and organize things a little better for my own play through and I find it very difficult to manage everything. It's very frustrating to keep having to go back and forth between things in the same file as they are listed by node and not by mod. It doesn't help that I don't know the part names, of course, but still... This becomes more aggravating when some parts of various mods are listed while others are not, and even sometimes -old- parts that no longer exist within a mod are still listed in the cfg file (for example with OKS/MKS parts). Plus, I don't use all the mods that are listed, so there's some parts I won't recognize at all. I feel it would be easier on yourself as well if you separated each mod into its own config file. I've also noticed some parts are listed twice, separating the mods into different config files could help prevent that from occurring.

That is a goal one day Flayer. The whole reason is that I haven't the time to overhaul like that AND continuously add new parts AND play test for balance (which I enjoy immensely). I am going to convert the files into database format before I split them up I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Since the U5 KSP seams to be while off still I started a new career with this techtree, looking forward to it!:)

Let me know if you find any problems or have suggestions. Just post 'em here or PM me.

According to CKAN, CTT conflicts with ETT, making it impossible to install both.

With just ETT, mods which support CTT nodes like USI Kolonization, aren't actually being placed according to CTT nodes.

Would it be possible to add a patch to ETT in some way so that the mods which officially support CTT with an "if CTT, then part > node" file actually have the file load?

I mean, besides the obvious option of manually replacing every instance of the name CTT with ETT in the configuration files.

According to CKAN, CTT conflicts with ETT, making it impossible to install both.

With just ETT, mods which support CTT nodes like USI Kolonization, aren't actually being placed according to CTT nodes.

Would it be possible to add a patch to ETT in some way so that the mods which officially support CTT with an "if CTT, then part > node" file actually have the file load?

I mean, besides the obvious option of manually replacing every instance of the name CTT with ETT in the configuration files.

ETT fully supports CTT. That being said, once you load ETT you can only use the mods on the list on the first page.

All the CTT nodes are in ETT to maintain compatibility. So even if USI Kol is not fully supported, the parts will show up in the CTT nodes either in the tree or in the staging area at the bottom.

I'm not sure exactly what Nertea has to do to set ETT compatible with CTT. I have set CTT as compatible to ETT. That's the best that I can do. You might ask him.

If there are a few mods you would like me to add to ETT, let me know and I will put them on the list for integration.

• 2 weeks later...
How compatible is this with Instell Inc?

I have not added it to the list of supported mods. You could try it and see where the parts fall in the tech tree.

- - - Updated - - -

Added new parts for 1.0.5

I wrote a plugin (link) for the CTT to hide the unused nodes, and it kind of works for your mod out of the box. Unfortunately, since so many of your nodes are so close together, some of the tech lines intersect through tech nodes (see the Science & Experimentation area). If you want to check it out, you'll need to first change the top part in the "overrides.cfg" from "@TechTree:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]:FINAL" to "@TechTree:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree|ETT]:FINAL". I'd be glad to see what I can do to fix it if I have free time between now and version 1.1.

Also, just a side note: if you want your start node to be centered when you first open the R&D center, you could subtract 760 from all the nodes' x position (at least, it works for me. It might be dependent on your screen resolution maybe?). As a patch, this works if you place it at the end of your mod's cfg:

@TechTree:NEEDS[ETT]:FINAL
{
@RDNode,*
{
%tempXPos = #$pos[0]$
@tempXPos += -760
@pos = #$tempXPos$, $pos[1]$, $pos[2]$
}
}

As far as I can tell, SmartParts is already supported in the tree, isn't it? At least the parts appear in quite logical nodes. So, maybe it should be moved from the "future packs" list to the "tested part packs" list on the front page to avoid confusion.

Also, I'm using the SETIgreenhouse mod, which just contains the two greenhouses of the SETI pack. In case anyone else it using it as well, the following ModuleManager snippet puts the parts into the "Hydroponics" node (otherwise it would be in "NiCad Batteries", which doesn't seem very logical :confused:):

@PART[SETIgreenhouse1]::NEEDS[zETT]:AFTER[SETIgreenhouse] {
@TechRequired = hydroponics
}

@PART[SETIgreenhouse3]:NEEDS[zETT]:AFTER[SETIgreenhouse] {
@TechRequired = hydroponics
}

Edit: Just a little heads-up about a stock bug:

I just (re-)discovered a little stock bug that is affecting this mod. If the science cost of a node is exactly the science limit of R&D (i.e. 100 or 500 depending on the level), the node is not researchable. It does not show "Cannot research technologies over 100 Science at this level!" in this case, but instead the highly misleading "Technology has unresearched requirements." This affects for example the "Field Science" node and a few others.

To work around I suggest lowering all science costs of 100 to 99 (there are no nodes with a cost of 500 in the mod AFAICT). Until such a workaround is included, the following MM-Config will do:

@TechTree:AFTER[zETT] {
@RDNode:HAS[#cost[100]] {
@cost = 99
}
}

@RDNode:HAS[#cost[500]] {
@cost = 499
}
}

(Alternatively, one can install the CustomBarnKit mod and increase the research limits by 1.)

Edited by SpaceNomad

Hi,

First: great tree, please keep on expanding it.
I wanted to ad some remarks regarding Station Science. Currently you receive experiment modules pretty soon, but then you have to get about 1000 science to unlock cyclotron and lab to even start using those experiments.
So I came up with following changes:

[code]
// Station Science - moved easy/medium quark experiments to first science tier, moved cyclotron (dependency) to early nuclear,
// moved ScienceLab and relevant modules into second science tier.
@PART[StnSciCyclo]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
@TechRequired = nuclearPower
}
@PART[StnSciLab]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
@TechRequired = scienceTech
}
@PART[StnSciExperiment1]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
@TechRequired = scienceTech
}

@PART[StnSciExperiment3]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
@TechRequired = experimentalScience
}
[/code]

Might be useful as a start for tweaking, at least IMHO starts to be usable.
Do you have any github/bitbucket repo for code? I might be easier to deliver pull requests instead...

Regards,
Garagoth.

Probus,
Love the mod! Could you please integrate it with my favorite parts pack: OPT spaceplane parts. [SIZE=2]https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/340/OPT%20Space%20Plane%20Parts
[/SIZE]
Thanks for the hard and good work! Your mod really improves the game a lot. :)
-Dan

I really like this mod, compared to the stock tech tree and the others I've tried it feels more right and the pacing is much better.
The only thing I don't like is docking, and I usually let Mechjeb do that for me - but it doesn't work with this mod. Does anyone know if there is an easy fix for that? I'm using the latest mechjeb dev build but after unlocking the relevant tech tree nodes the Docking/Rendezvous mechjeb windows don't appear.

[quote name='daniel911t']Probus,
Love the mod! Could you please integrate it with my favorite parts pack: OPT spaceplane parts. [SIZE=2]https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/340/OPT%20Space%20Plane%20Parts
[/SIZE]
Thanks for the hard and good work! Your mod really improves the game a lot. :)
-Dan[/QUOTE]
I will put OPT on my list Dan.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Koobze']I really like this mod, compared to the stock tech tree and the others I've tried it feels more right and the pacing is much better.
The only thing I don't like is docking, and I usually let Mechjeb do that for me - but it doesn't work with this mod. Does anyone know if there is an easy fix for that? I'm using the latest mechjeb dev build but after unlocking the relevant tech tree nodes the Docking/Rendezvous mechjeb windows don't appear.[/QUOTE]
I shuffled the mechjeb unlock nodes around to make it a bit more challenging. They are as follows:
CustomWindowEditor { @unlockTechs = electronics }
SmartASS { @unlockTechs = electronics }
ManeuverPlanner { @unlockTechs = mechatronics }
NodeEditor { @unlockTechs = mechatronics }
Translatron { @unlockTechs = mechatronics }
WarpHelper { @unlockTechs = mechatronics }
AttitudeAdjustment { @unlockTechs = mechatronics }
ThrustWindow { @unlockTechs = mechatronics }
RCSBalancerWindow { @unlockTechs = largeControl }
RoverWindow { @unlockTechs = fieldScience }
AscentGuidance { @unlockTechs = automation }
LandingGuidance { @unlockTechs = automation }
SpaceplaneGuidance { @unlockTechs = specializedControl }
DockingGuidance { @unlockTechs = orbitalAssembly }
RendezvousAutopilotWindow { @unlockTechs = orbitalAssembly }
RendezvousGuidance { @unlockTechs = orbitalAssembly }

[quote name='Probus']
DockingGuidance { @unlockTechs = orbitalAssembly }
RendezvousAutopilotWindow { @unlockTechs = orbitalAssembly }
RendezvousGuidance { @unlockTechs = orbitalAssembly }[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information!! The MechJeb icon in the tech tree said docking/rendezvous unlocked with the Docking node, which is why I thought something was broken. I will have a look at where Orbital Assembly is on the tree and try to aim for that on a new career game. Cheers!

Edit: So I think I found the issue - you need some additional nodes unlocked to see the Docking Autopilot. I had the "Advanced Docking" tech node unlocked, but I think that you also need some of the Advanced Unmanned Probes nodes unlocked before you get to see everything - not 100% sure as I tested it by giving myself loads of science and unlocking both the Advanced Unmanned line as well as the Communications tech nodes. But at least I know how to make it work now ;) Edited by Koobze

For all that are fans of RLA_Stockalike:

I did a quick and dirty ModuleManager patch moving the RLA parts to sensible (I hope ;)) tech nodes of this tree for my own use. I thought, I should share it with you. Just put it in a file with a ".cfg" extension anywhere in your "GameData" folder (maybe in a personal subfolder for local customizations):

[spoiler="MM_RLA_ETT.cfg"]
[CODE]
RDNode {
id = advMiniaturization
title = Advanced Rocketry 0.625
description = Advances in small rockets.
cost = 50
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node5_advMiniaturization
anyToUnlock = True
icon = RDicon_miniaturization
pos = -1951,841,-15
scale = 0.6
Parent {
parentID = miniaturization
lineFrom = LEFT
lineTo = RIGHT
}
}

@RDNode:HAS[#id[precisionEngineering]] {
@nodeName = node6_precisionEngineering
@pos = -2050,841,-15
@Parent {
@parentID = advMiniaturization
}
}
}

// Control / RCS

// @PART[RLA_rcs_2way]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// @TechRequired = advFlightControl
// }

// @PART[RLA_rcs45_2way]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// }

//@PART[RLA_rcs_linear]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// @TechRequired = flightControl
//}

// @PART[RLA_rcs_micro45]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// }

// @PART[RLA_rcs_micro]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// }

// @PART[RLA_rcs_micro_linear]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// }

// @PART[RLA_rcs45]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// }

// @PART[RLA_rcs_5way]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// @TechRequired = specializedControl
// }

// Control / Reaction Wheel

@PART[RLA_tiny_torque_radial]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = advFlightControl
}

// Electrical / Solar

@PART[RLA_medium_solarpanel]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = advPVMaterials
}

// Electrical / RTG

@PART[RLA_mmrtg]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = nuclearFuelSystems
}

// Electrical / FuelCells

// @PART[RLA_mp_small_fuelcell]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// @TechRequired = largeElectrics
// }

// Engine / Small Electric

@PART[RLA_small_arcjet]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = highTechElectricalSystems
// lowTechIonPropulsion would be handy
}

// @PART[RLA_small_ion]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// @TechRequired = ionPropulsion
// }

@PART[RLA_small_resistojet]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = highTechElectricalSystems
// lowTechIonPropulsion would be handy
}

// Engine / LiquidFuel

@PART[RLA_lfo_medium_linearspike]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = KETT_165
}

@PART[RLA_small_highthrust]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = miniaturization
}

@PART[RLA_small_spike]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = precisionEngineering
}

@PART[RLA_tiny_vac]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = precisionEngineering
// maybe a node higher if that would exist
}

// @PART[RLA_small_ntr]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// @TechRequired = nuclearPropulsion
// }

// Engine / Monopropellant

@PART[RLA_mp_large_spike]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = KETT_6296
}

@PART[RLA_mp_large_vac]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = KETT_6296
}

@PART[RLA_mp_medium_vac]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = KETT_165
}

@PART[RLA_mp_small_radial]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = advMiniaturization
}

@PART[RLA_mp_small_stack]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_mp_tiny_radial]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_mp_tiny_stack]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

// Engine / Solid Boosters

@PART[RLA_solid_medium_upper]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = AdvancedSRB
}

@PART[RLA_solid_small_long]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_solid_small_medium]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_solid_small_short]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = solidRockets
}

// Tanks / LFO Small

@PART[RLA_small_LFO_tank0]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_small_LFO_tank1]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_small_LFO_tank2]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_small_LFO_tank3]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_small_LFO_tank4]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

// Tanks / MP Various

@PART[RLA_large_mptank]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = largeControl
}

@PART[RLA_medium_mptank]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = largeControl
}

@PART[RLA_small_mptank]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = flightControl
}

@PART[RLA_tiny_mptank_rad]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = flightControl
}

// Tanks / X Small

// @PART[RLA_x_small_tank]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// @TechRequired = ionPropulsion
// }

// Small Probe

@PART[RLA_small_probe_24sides_gold]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = KETT_1779
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_24sides]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = advUnmanned
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_4sides_gold]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_4sides]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = unmannedTech
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_6sides_gold]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_8sides_gold]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_small_probe_QBE_gold]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

// Structural / Frames

// @PART[RLA_large_frame]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// @TechRequired = fieldScience
// }

// @PART[RLA_medium_frame]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// @TechRequired = fieldScience
// }

// Structural / Med2Small Adapters

@PART[RLA_med2small_biadap]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = precisionPropulsion
}

@PART[RLA_med2small_triadap]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = KETT_165
}

@PART[RLA_med2small_quadadap]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = KETT_165
}

// Structural / Various

@PART[RLA_medium_radext]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = nanolathing
// seems a bit cheap
}

@PART[RLA_small_attach_radial]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// seems a bit cheap
}

@PART[RLA_small_decoupler_radial]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
@TechRequired = KETT_3178
}

@PART[RLA_small_decoupler_stack]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
}

@PART[RLA_small_radext]:NEEDS[zETT,RLA_Stockalike]:FINAL {
// seems a bit cheap
}
[/CODE]
[/spoiler]

If you don't like the inserted "Advanced Rocketry 0.625" node, just remove the two "RDNode" sections in the beginning and replace every occurance of "advMiniaturization" with "miniaturization".
I also considered inserting a node between "Nickel Metal-Hydride" and "Ion Propulsion" (maybe "Electrical Propulsion") for the two engines I put in NiMH, but was to lazy so far :P
Also, maybe the three parts I put in "Advanced Bearings" could have gone in "RadialDecouplers2" as there already is another "Radial Attachment Point" in there. I only discovered it when I was done with it (and on the other hand "Advanced Bearings" was empty for me before).

The parts which are commented out (those with the two slashes in front), are the ones where the TechRequirement stayed the same as in original RLA_Stockalike mod, as it seemed correct with the ETT tree as well.

Thanks SpaceNomad! If you don't mind I will include it in the tree and tag you as a contributor.

I will have to make a few subtle changes, but other than that looks great! Edited by Probus

[quote name='Probus']Thanks SpaceNomad! If you don't mind I will include it in the tree and tag you as a contributor.

I will have to make a few subtle changes, but other than that looks great![/QUOTE]

Of course, I don't mind if you include it and make any changes you see fitting! Consider it contributed under the terms of CC-BY-NC 4.0.

Thank you for this great tech tree BTW I really enjoy it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.