[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

6 hours ago, OwariTY said:

Hi. I have a question: how you guys reach the orbit with 30% of science or less? You need atleast two engine nodes ( for the big engine with gimbal and the second one for the vacuum engine if you are playing with bluedogs parts) and other for tanks and decouplers. However, even walking through the ksc i can't get enough science. 

Of course, this is just a question and not a problem with the best tech tree ever made.

30% science sounds like an awful grind, why would you do that? (If you want to turn difficulty up, I recommend JNSQ).

7 hours ago, OwariTY said:

Hi. I have a question: how you guys reach the orbit with 30% of science or less? You need atleast two engine nodes ( for the big engine with gimbal and the second one for the vacuum engine if you are playing with bluedogs parts) and other for tanks and decouplers. However, even walking through the ksc i can't get enough science. 

Of course, this is just a question and not a problem with the best tech tree ever made.

i usually do a probe with the barometer, set it to the launch pad, gather the science and recover, completing the first mission "gather science from kerbin", then i use the same probe and put it into the runaway, gather science and recover, then i unlock the thermometer, same probe + thermometer + the smallest srb, i set the srb to 0.2 fuel, with something like 20 to 25% thrust, then i launch the craft, which will have enough fuel and twr to just go a couple of meters into the air and drop down without exploding, gathering science "flying" over ksc and completing the second mission "launch your first craft", then unlock parachutes and keep going lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/28/2020 at 11:54 PM, Dr. Cattman423 said:

Can you change the BDB integration so it matches better with the progression of the actual US space program? The way it's currently integrated I can make a Titan II Missile before I can make a Redstone Rocket, also in order to unlock the engine for the Redstone Rocket and Mercury deorbital engine you have to upgrade the RnD building yet you have almost everything for a full fledged Gemini mission before the RnD upgrade.

Other than my issues with BDB I am loving the experience and ability to select where I focus my science points and the actual progression feel it has over the stock tech tree and CTT.

I will update for BDB soon.  I tried once but BDB is so HUGE!!!  It will be my crowning glory to get that integrated @CobaltWolf.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:23 PM, OwariTY said:

Thanks @OwariTY.  I can't say for sure that you can with BDB alone.  It needs further integration plain and simple.  This tree is supposed to be tough but not grindy.  That takes a lot of playtesting as you might imagine and I've been distracted playing Combat Mission games lately.  I will be back for the release of 1.11 coming up (at least part time).

On 10/17/2020 at 3:22 PM, noobkerblkat said:

i dont whant to be begging for things but can you add suport for restock plus its a great mod just as your tech tree but from what i see the parts dont seem to show up 

link to restock plus:

Love Restock.  It will be one of the first I hit when I return.

On 10/18/2020 at 5:30 PM, FabioofSpace said:

Hey, so I'm wishing of being able to use all the mechjeb features at the start of the tech tree, but I don't know how to do it at all.

I specifically made this tech tree to limit Mechjeb until you unlocked the right technologies.  You would have to create your own module manager files to unlock all of mechjeb right away.  Parts are laid out so that you REALLY want to unlock certain nodes to increase stability and give yourself more control, more power.  It should feel like going from a patched together rocket like Prof. Goddard, to a V-2 like rocket, and on to R-7/Sputnik/Pioneer/Mercury/Vostok/etc...

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I needed support, so let me know if I missed anything :)

Downloaded ETT + Yonge Tech to go with my new modded install on 1.11, deleted CTT and started a fresh save, but the tree looks like cobwebs, similar to problems described by others in this thread years ago when they had conflicts with CTT or Remove empty nodes, neither of which I have.  Any ideas if it's a conflict/incompatibility from a mod or if it's from the latest version? 

Mod list is pretty long, but I'll be working through it after this posting looking for a conflict. (Biggest downside of modded games is the long load-times imo, makes it a nightmare to test). 

Tech Tree with Cobwebs

Annoyingly long mod list. (Will type this out soon)

Log

Thanks for all your hardwork and Merry Christmas!

3 hours ago, likke_A_boss said:

Downloaded ETT + Yonge Tech to go with my new modded install on 1.11, deleted CTT and started a fresh save, but the tree looks like cobwebs, similar to problems described by others in this thread years ago when they had conflicts with CTT or Remove empty nodes, neither of which I have.  Any ideas if it's a conflict/incompatibility from a mod or if it's from the latest version? 

Mod list is pretty long, but I'll be working through it after this posting looking for a conflict. (Biggest downside of modded games is the long load-times imo, makes it a nightmare to test). 

Tech Tree with Cobwebs

Log

I got the same, when i use ETT with 1.11 KSP.  Seems fine when i roll KSP back to 1.10, so i guess they changes something on the Matrix  Tech tree with the latest update.

6 hours ago, likke_A_boss said:

Tech Tree with Cobwebs

Log

I will take a look at it shortly.  Maybe its an easy fix.

8 hours ago, Probus said:

Not sure if it's the source of the problem, but that log file shows the following error (among a bunch of probably unrelated errors, btw).

[ERR 01:01:13.023] Cannot find a Module of typename 'YT_TechTreesScenario'

Also, KSP 1.11 now loads in all TechTree nodes from any .cfg file in the GameData folder instead of relying on a URL to the tech tree file.  I'm not sure if Yonge Tech does anything special to stop this, but the game is trying to load in EngTechTree.cfg and the stock TechTree.cfg at the same time now.  Simply specifying the URL to the tech tree file you want to load doesn't do the trick anymore.

Edited by ev0

10 hours ago, Probus said:

1 hour ago, ev0 said:

Not sure if it's the source of the problem, but that log file shows the following error (among a bunch of probably unrelated errors, btw).

Also, KSP 1.11 now loads in all TechTree nodes from any .cfg file in the GameData folder instead of relying on a URL to the tech tree file.  I'm not sure if Yonge Tech does anything special to stop this, but the game is trying to load in EngTechTree.cfg and the stock TechTree.cfg at the same time now.  Simply specifying the URL to the tech tree file you want to load doesn't do the trick anymore.

Fixed! You hit the nail on the head, removing the stock TechTree.cfg from the Squad file allows the tree to load normally. (Now time to look into those other errors...mod it til it breaks they said...)

@Probus is there a master list of what parts are in each node (and what mod they come from) or a public link to the excel sheet you mentioned you used to sort parts anywhere? I have a ~lot~ of part packs installed so I would expect to see more nodes filled, however things like the entire SRB branch, the entire nuclear branch, docking, fairings, and other nodes are completely empty, and I suspect that this should not be the case.

2 hours ago, likke_A_boss said:

Fixed! You hit the nail on the head, removing the stock TechTree.cfg from the Squad file allows the tree to load normally. (Now time to look into those other errors...mod it til it breaks they said...)

@Probus is there a master list of what parts are in each node (and what mod they come from) or a public link to the excel sheet you mentioned you used to sort parts anywhere? I have a ~lot~ of part packs installed so I would expect to see more nodes filled, however things like the entire SRB branch, the entire nuclear branch, docking, fairings, and other nodes are completely empty, and I suspect that this should not be the case.

Ha, I didn't mean you should remove a stock file, but if it works as a hotfix for you then go for it, right?:wink:

12 hours ago, likke_A_boss said:

You are correct sir.  I will load the game up when I get a break between now and new years and see if I can get you what you want and a hotfix of some sort.  Usually the problems with the tech tree are pretty easy to fix.  The tech tree editor is what gives @linuxgurugamer and I fits when an update comes out.

57 minutes ago, Probus said:

You are correct sir.  I will load the game up when I get a break between now and new years and see if I can get you what you want and a hotfix of some sort.  Usually the problems with the tech tree are pretty easy to fix.  The tech tree editor is what gives @linuxgurugamer and I fits when an update comes out.

This post is interesting:

13 hours ago, likke_A_boss said:
14 hours ago, ev0 said:

Fixed! You hit the nail on the head, removing the stock TechTree.cfg from the Squad file allows the tree to load normally

You may need to do some MM magic to fix, not sure.

My Wife may have been exposed to Covid last week and we are waiting on the test results.  I've been quarantined to my game room and my computer is in my office so I'm on my laptop.  I know a surprising number of folks still use this mod so I will check this issue out thoroughly when we get the all clear.  Don't want y'all to have to delete the stock tech tree to use this one.

40 minutes ago, Probus said:

My Wife may have been exposed to Covid last week and we are waiting on the test results.  I've been quarantined to my game room and my computer is in my office so I'm on my laptop.  I know a surprising number of folks still use this mod so I will check this issue out thoroughly when we get the all clear.  Don't want y'all to have to delete the stock tech tree to use this one.

Hope she is ok. Ping me if you need something done which you can't do. 

• 1 month later...

Heya,

Hope you and your wife is doing all right.

I just started KSP up again after a few months on ice, and I realised that the stock parts didn't appear in the correct nodes. I did some tinkering, and realised that each part has a TechRequired fieldthat is similar to many of the ETT node names. So for example, the MK1 pod is unlocked from the start with ETT instead of being in the Manned Space Exploration node. I checked the TechRequired for Mk1 Pod and it says "start", when I changed it to "spaceExploration" and did a clean save it appeared in the correct node. Since this is the first time I'm doing similar changes, it might be a redundat error reporting but I really appreciate your work and balance in the ETT and would like to keep the engineering approach to KSP.

If someone knows how to change the TechRequired field on batch wise, it might help with the stock parts to appear in the correct nodes. I can be of help, but would need some coding done and I can simply fill in some blanks.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:24 PM, Foig said:

Heya,

Hope you and your wife is doing all right.

I just started KSP up again after a few months on ice, and I realised that the stock parts didn't appear in the correct nodes. I did some tinkering, and realised that each part has a TechRequired fieldthat is similar to many of the ETT node names. So for example, the MK1 pod is unlocked from the start with ETT instead of being in the Manned Space Exploration node. I checked the TechRequired for Mk1 Pod and it says "start", when I changed it to "spaceExploration" and did a clean save it appeared in the correct node. Since this is the first time I'm doing similar changes, it might be a redundat error reporting but I really appreciate your work and balance in the ETT and would like to keep the engineering approach to KSP.

If someone knows how to change the TechRequired field on batch wise, it might help with the stock parts to appear in the correct nodes. I can be of help, but would need some coding done and I can simply fill in some blanks.

i believe the temporary fix for ETT in the new version is to delete the squad techtree file, like mentioned bellow

On 12/25/2020 at 8:52 PM, likke_A_boss said:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hey its been just three months since i started playing this game and i have visited almost every planet(and used a lot of cheats). BUT now i want to play a fair career game. and i am getting confused with ett, pbc and unkerbaled start. what would u recommend me. AND i play on laptop. so can u suggest few food and light weight mods

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now that KSP has hit 1.12 and isn't going to change much anymore, I'm starting to feel a little more motivated to update and clean up this Tech Tree.  Is anyone still interested?

On 6/16/2021 at 9:55 PM, ilovespace said:

what would u recommend me. AND i play on laptop. so can u suggest few food and light weight mods

I would recommend the Community Tech Tree with PBC and the rearranged engine placement.  That's what I've been playing around with.  If you are on a laptop I would suggest picking one major parts mod and stick to QoL and UI enhancement type mods.  I really like a lot of different part mods.  For realistic models I would suggest FASA over BDB because BDB is soooo big for a small laptop.  I also like many of the Near Future mods or Interstellar mod. Soooo many great part mods out there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.