[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

1 minute ago, Probus said:

Well, now that KSP has hit 1.12 and isn't going to change much anymore, I'm starting to feel a little more motivated to update and clean up this Tech Tree.  Is anyone still interested?

I would recommend the Community Tech Tree with PBC and the rearranged engine placement.  That's what I've been playing around with.  If you are on a laptop I would suggest picking one major parts mod and stick to QoL and UI enhancement type mods.  I really like a lot of different part mods.  For realistic models I would suggest FASA over BDB because BDB is soooo big for a small laptop.  I also like many of the Near Future mods or Interstellar mod. Soooo many great part mods out there.

I am, definitely. This is one of my favorite tech trees.

Interested? I'm still using it up to this day lol, its the best tech tree i ever played with, im always looking out to see when its going to get integrated with BDB

6 hours ago, Probus said:

Well, now that KSP has hit 1.12 and isn't going to change much anymore, I'm starting to feel a little more motivated to update and clean up this Tech Tree.  Is anyone still interested?

I'm glad folks are using it. I've already done a lot of work on it that I never released due to a lingering health issue. Including:

• cleaning up the branches aesthetically
  • separating the chemical engines into types such as boosters, sustainers, high efficiency, and of course SRBs
  • SRBs are now broken up by potential energy. 
  • Adding new color icons of varying sizes
  • Antenna roles (relay vs direct)
  • Miniaturized technology branch
  • A lot of work on Aero parts
  • And separation of colonization tech

Every time I add more nodes, I have to rebalance the tree. 

Plus I believe a lot of technologies should start massive and get smaller as tech increases eg ISRUs, nuclear reactors, control systems...

And, as always, I'm always open to suggestions. 

On 6/25/2021 at 11:17 PM, Probus said:

I would recommend the Community Tech Tree with PBC and the rearranged engine placement.  That's what I've been playing around with.  If you are on a laptop I would suggest picking one major parts mod and stick to QoL and UI enhancement type mods.  I really like a lot of different part mods.  For realistic models I would suggest FASA over BDB because BDB is soooo big for a small laptop.  I also like many of the Near Future mods or Interstellar mod. Soooo many great part mods out there.

thank u very much for ur reply. fasa and bdb seems to be replicas of  real life mission but sorry to say i hate replicas. i tired near future pack they r good , kspie is too much my laptop. can u say any descent non replica kind of part packs(i use restock already.)  and i dont want to rush u but can i know when u will release updated ett.

2 hours ago, ilovespace said:

can u say any descent non replica kind of part packs(i use restock already.)  and i dont want to rush u but can i know when u will release updated ett.

I always play with Modular Rocket Systems (MRS) Lite. I like AIES for its Antennas and Landing legs but engines are a bit overpowered. Here’s a list:

Add 1 or 2 part packs. My favorites are:
A) FASA or Blue Dog Design Bureau 
B) Planetary Base Systems
C) Near Future Technologies or Interstellar 
D) Stock Station Parts Expanded 
E) NovaPunch
F) ReStock
G) AIES
H) SpaceY

I) MRS - Modular Rocket Systems (lite)

to name a few...

On 6/30/2021 at 10:36 PM, Probus said:

I always play with Modular Rocket Systems (MRS) Lite. I like AIES for its Antennas and Landing legs but engines are a bit overpowered. Here’s a list:

Add 1 or 2 part packs. My favorites are:
A) FASA or Blue Dog Design Bureau 
B) Planetary Base Systems
C) Near Future Technologies or Interstellar 
D) Stock Station Parts Expanded 
E) NovaPunch
F) ReStock
G) AIES
H) SpaceY

I) MRS - Modular Rocket Systems (lite)

to name a few...

thanks u 

On 6/27/2021 at 7:24 AM, Probus said:

I'm glad folks are using it. I've already done a lot of work on it that I never released due to a lingering health issue. Including:

• cleaning up the branches aesthetically
  • separating the chemical engines into types such as boosters, sustainers, high efficiency, and of course SRBs
  • SRBs are now broken up by potential energy. 
  • Adding new color icons of varying sizes
  • Antenna roles (relay vs direct)
  • Miniaturized technology branch
  • A lot of work on Aero parts
  • And separation of colonization tech

Every time I add more nodes, I have to rebalance the tree. 

Plus I believe a lot of technologies should start massive and get smaller as tech increases eg ISRUs, nuclear reactors, control systems...

And, as always, I'm always open to suggestions. 

Any chance you'd be open to releasing your partially upgraded tree? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in playing around with it a little bit, even if its not fully complete.

13 hours ago, CessnaSkyhawk said:

Any chance you'd be open to releasing your partially upgraded tree? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in playing around with it a little bit, even if its not fully complete.

I think that I can do an 'unofficial' intermediate  release with the stuff I was testing. I think you will have to rename the Squad tree to get it to work in anything after 1.8.1.  

Its the 4th of July, so it will have to be a bit later. Gotta go fire off some mini solid rocket boosters. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/24/2022 at 2:05 PM, Dash8466 said:

Heya, just wanna let you know that this is by far my favorite tech tree mod out there.

I would like to know if there is any chance for it to be updated.

Thanks Dash!

There is a chance. In fact a strong probability.  I either need an update to the Tech Tree editor or a conversion of the ETTtech tree into a source file similar to the CTT's mod in something like excel for easier management. My RegX skillz are lacking though.

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 10:47 AM, Probus said:

ETT was my favorite tech tree mod back in 1.9.1, I would love to be able to use it in 1.11.2 or 1.12.3 if I ever bother updating to it.

• 2 months later...

I've been adding some more parts and nodes to the ETT.  Also testing some new concepts with the icons.  As you can see below, the tree is using size, color and tech nodes as labels.  The tree itself is fairly muddled up at this point, especially in areas where it has grown. Now it really looks like a tech tree that was dropped on its head.  I add the new nodes, add parts to them and then move them to their final location.  There is a method to my madness...

Its hard to tell exactly what has changed by a couple of screenshots. But some of the new features include:

• New icons
  • Experimenting with icons that have differing sizes, colors and depth
  • Separation of fuel tanks from engine tech
  • Better definition of SRBs by potential energy
  • A new 'micro' tech branch
  • Separation of RCS from gyro based controls
  • Better separation of space based vs land based colonization tech
  • And gave aviation a bit of attention

Screenshot-2022-06-16-16-31-08.jpg

Screenshot-2022-06-16-16-28-18.jpg

I may end up making all the icons of a particular branch the same color.  So engines might be red. Control systems yellow and so on.

Also, it is still several months away from being ready for a release.  Not because there is that much work, but because I'm just plain slow. :unsure:

• 3 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, Probus said:

Somewhat late reply, but I'm just getting back into KSP after... a while, and the first thing I did was look for ETT. It's the best tech tree out there, and it's going to be very weird playing without it!

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2022 at 7:46 AM, ToxicFrog said:

I'm also only just getting back into KSP after a long break and it would be great to see ETT again; I'm using TETRIX at the moment but ETT was always my favourite tech tree.

I will get back to the ETT, eventually...

• 5 months later...
On 5/2/2023 at 3:43 PM, Probus said:

Has anyone happened to see when KSP2 is going to get a career/science mode?

I didnt see anything meaningful about it other than being relatively far down the line.
Doesnt matter either way to me though because I'll never buy it, mainly because my computer couldnt even run it well, if at all.

• 2 months later...

I would love to try out the Engineering Tech Tree but when I install it (even with no other mods but its dependencies) it looks all tangled like this and is nigh impossible to navigate. Other screenshots I've seen don't look like this so I assume this is not right.

I've only seen one other post that looks related: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/6brso7/tech_tree_mod_help/

but according to the thread it was a result of installing multiple tech trees.  I have no other mods installed except ETTs dependencies

7460dc3743f8730e70dad3b474663de7.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 12:29 PM, c0deMonkey said:

I would love to try out the Engineering Tech Tree but when I install it (even with no other mods but its dependencies) it looks all tangled like this and is nigh impossible to navigate. Other screenshots I've seen don't look like this so I assume this is not right.

I've only seen one other post that looks related: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/6brso7/tech_tree_mod_help/

but according to the thread it was a result of installing multiple tech trees.  I have no other mods installed except ETTs dependencies

From what it looks like i think it is due to CTT being installed maybe?

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2023 at 9:59 PM, c0deMonkey said:

Right now its kinda broken.  You can only have one tech tree file in the GameData directory.  So if you install ETT right now, you have to rename GameData/Squad/Resources/TechTree.cfg to TechTree.old. 

This will fix this problem.  But you may want to make a backup of the Kerbal Space Program directory.

• 1 month later...

Fun to see you still active Probus. After setting up a deeply modded game back in 2020, my hardware failed and I never got to do my playthrough. Writing this from a 4090 system now though and setting up modlist at moment and looking back at all the work you've discussed without release. Could you use an extra hand in developing the next update for release? My dev skills are pretty novice but learning all the time.

7 hours ago, likke_A_boss said:

Fun to see you still active Probus. After setting up a deeply modded game back in 2020, my hardware failed and I never got to do my playthrough. Writing this from a 4090 system now though and setting up modlist at moment and looking back at all the work you've discussed without release. Could you use an extra hand in developing the next update for release? My dev skills are pretty novice but learning all the time.

Thanks for the offer!  I'm in the process of moving houses and I don't see me doing any work on this until the new year.  If you are still interested then, I will run it by you.

Wow! A 4090! I'm jealous!

1 hour ago, Probus said:

Thanks for the offer!  I'm in the process of moving houses and I don't see me doing any work on this until the new year.  If you are still interested then, I will run it by you.

Wow! A 4090! I'm jealous!

Good luck with the move, nothing fun about that! I'll keep eye out on this thread.

Thank you, frankly not sure if I would recommend it at its price. I thought it'd be faster, and the price point is just absurd. I live modestly otherwise though, and have seen career success these last few years, so treated myself :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.