[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

Hi, I don't know if maybe the issue is on my end, but I can't research "Advanced Control Surfaces". It says that the technology has unresearched requirements, but there's nothing else connecting to it besides "Control 2" 

d4lfIEnl.jpg?1

Also, same reasoning, but it seems weird to me that the fighter wings and the tail and winglet are on a different node (that one to be precise that's why I want to research it). So I was wondering if maybe its something I have.

Edited by Jofe

@Gaiiden To make a new branch for your additions you open up the masterEngTechTRee.cfg, go to 'edit this file' on the top right of the text windows and paste your own tech tree (after selecting it all) over the old one.
You then scroll down to where it asks you to directly edit the master or to make a new branch; do the second and add a telling title with a description of what is changed by this addition. You then 'Commit changes'after which you can (again) enter a changelog and compare it to the master file. If all checks out you can hit 'Pull request' and Probus will receive your offerings.

@Jofe That's odd, the current tech tree doesn't appear to have the Advanced Control surfaces dependent on anything else than the previous one. You're on the the latest build? 
As for the wings and tail and winglet, that is exactly why there is a separate line for aerodynamic (lifting) surfaces and for dynamic control surfaces. Wings generally have no moving control parts. Granted; Firespitter does get confusing with this as it incorporates ailerons/flaps in some of its wing parts. So it might be better to put them in control surfaces in those cases if more people think this confusing.

Edited by Artfact

11 hours ago, Artfact said:

@Jofe That's odd, the current tech tree doesn't appear to have the Advanced Control surfaces dependent on anything else than the previous one. You're on the the latest build? 
As for the wings and tail and winglet, that is exactly why there is a separate line for aerodynamic (lifting) surfaces and for dynamic control surfaces. Wings generally have no moving control parts. Granted; Firespitter does get confusing with this as it incorporates ailerons/flaps in some of its wing parts. So it might be better to put them in control surfaces in those cases if more people think this confusing.

Yeah, I have the latest version as far as I know. CKAN lists it as v20160526 and unless I'm reading it wrong it the latest version listed on the changelog.

@Jofe Latest public release can be found on SpaceDock , I should've seen that in the first place with the dated aviation branch format you've got going, sorry.:) 
If you've downloaded the version on the OP pointing to this github you might have the 17 feb release v20160205. In that case there might be some trouble with using the never version on your save. Better back-up beforehand.

@Artfact Just for the sake of giving details I got it with CKAN. Gonna download that one and see if it fixes the problem.

Edit: Nope, still the same. I Wonder if maybe is something else's fault. If anything, what should I edit on the save file to unlock the node?

Edited by Jofe

So,

i know I talked with probus about working on the following mods

sounding rockets

usi-LS 

spacey expanded. 

Unfortunately I'll be on unexpected extended bussiness travel for the next few weeks and unable to work them. If anyone wants to work them in the mean time feel free. Didn't want waiting on me the reason for them to be healed up  

thanks.

New release pushed to GitHub:

https://github.com/ProbusThrax/ETT/releases/tag/v20160530

Lots of tweaks and fixes with some balancing:

Bluedog Design Bureau
DMagic's EVA struts and transfer pipes
B9, Kerbonov, Mk2 expansion parts placement tweaks.
RetroFuture
BDArmory

I reduced the cost of Stabilizers & Unmanned Probes.

A big thanks to @Artfact and @Gaiiden for their additions.

Hopefully this fixes some of the problems that have been encountered.

Cool, glad you accepted my addition. I honestly wasn't sure - to me it looked like you had denied the pull request, but I had never seen what a completed pull request looked like so I figured I'd wait for you to say something one way or another.

Now prepare yourself, because I have a ton of mods on my list that need placing. Until you guys have something set up otherwise, I will just announce here what mod I'm working on so no extra work is done. Will ignore the untested stuff for now and circle back around to that if needed. Next up I'll integrate Home-Grown Rocketry.

2 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

Cool, glad you accepted my addition. I honestly wasn't sure - to me it looked like you had denied the pull request, but I had never seen what a completed pull request looked like so I figured I'd wait for you to say something one way or another.

Now prepare yourself, because I have a ton of mods on my list that need placing. Until you guys have something set up otherwise, I will just announce here what mod I'm working on so no extra work is done. Will ignore the untested stuff for now and circle back around to that if needed. Next up I'll integrate Home-Grown Rocketry.

Cool! You can always join us on the EsperNet IRC #ETT, whenever some question comes up as to the placement of a part or necessary change we can discuss it there.:)

1 hour ago, Artfact said:

Cool! You can always join us on the EsperNet IRC #ETT, whenever some question comes up as to the placement of a part or necessary change we can discuss it there.:)

I've done HGR and Deep Space Exploration Vessels but before I go further I'd really like @Probus to finish writing down what sort of stuff he expects out of the various nodes - especially the WIP ones and the ones labeled "probes2" and such. It's a bit difficult to understand what should be going where sometimes, even when looking at the parts already there.

2 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

I've done HGR and Deep Space Exploration Vessels but before I go further I'd really like @Probus to finish writing down what sort of stuff he expects out of the various nodes - especially the WIP ones and the ones labeled "probes2" and such. It's a bit difficult to understand what should be going where sometimes, even when looking at the parts already there.

1 hour ago, Artfact said:

@Gaiiden Why yes it is, but it is also diffecult to take into account every mod which might add parts to a particular branch. But some basic guidelines would be nice, if only to flush out the nodes a bit more.:)

Good idea.  I will put something in the readme.

The Final Frontier Spaceplane node is an end-game high EC node with some of the most futuristic spaceplane parts. Mainly B9's and OPT. Once done the MkIv System will fit in there nicely as well.:)

3 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Also, is Tantares fully compatible? I remember using this and Tantares wasn't working fully. At least TantaresLV is since I can't play without those 0.9375m parts.

I'm working on that right now. Lots of parts to place.

@NavyFish Yes it is.:) The idea of ETT is to disperse science parts across the entire tree where possible. If a experiment part has a direct relation to a particlular line/node it is placed there instead of in the Science Experiments branch.
Mystery goo is a wild card I suppose and might as well fit into Atomic power; for all we know it's radioactive!

11 hours ago, Artfact said:

The idea of ETT is to disperse science parts across the entire tree where possible

I've been sticking them all in the science branch... I'm def waiting for Probus to finish up his guidelines doc before doing any more work to ensure I'm putting things in spots not just reasonable for the parts but for the idea behind the node itself

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.