[1.0.4] Maritime Pack - 0.1.4

Fengist

I'm gonna build a kerbalmeran!

Dude, the only thing that could make those superstructure's better, is IVA's. Ask one of the IVA geniuses around here to help, PLEASE!

Oh, and batteries and generators can work on the same part- the same as any other resource. Only engines can run off something with mass, and as long as they generate mass, you have continuous power. Anyway, why does the dingy not have an liquidfuel tank/battery combo piece? It makes sense, as the engine run off Liquidfuel.

(For the dingy, I suggest you add a pillar-like setup in the middle/back for us to attach command chairs.

Edited by Mekan1k

How well does this work with the Better Buoyancy mod and are you planning on adding support for it?

- - - Updated - - -

More parts is awesome...but some screenies of whats currently in the pack would be nice :D

Theres loads of screenshots.

edit: You know, with infernal robotics, one could make a paddlewheel steamer, minus the steam though, and the riverboat look.

Edited by smjjames

How well does this work with the Better Buoyancy mod and are you planning on adding support for it?

- - - Updated - - -

edit: You know, with infernal robotics, one could make a paddlewheel steamer, minus the steam though, and the riverboat look.

Maybe im blind today or tired... but i dont see em :P

EDIT: Ok... thats weird... they dont come up in Chrome.... but they do in Firefox... Sorry bout that!

EDIT #2....It appears it was Adblock blocking the images.

Now that i can see the images... LOOKS AWESOME! will be trying them out.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

I'm gonna build a kerbalmeran!

Dude, the only thing that could make those superstructure's better, is IVA's. Ask one of the IVA geniuses around here to help, PLEASE!

Oh, and batteries and generators can work on the same part- the same as any other resource. Only engines can run off something with mass, and as long as they generate mass, you have continuous power. Anyway, why does the dingy not have an liquidfuel tank/battery combo piece? It makes sense, as the engine run off Liquidfuel.

(For the dingy, I suggest you add a pillar-like setup in the middle/back for us to attach command chairs.

I tried putting both the battery and the generator in the Dinghy .cfg, when I did, it launched with 0 battery power, even though I set it at it's max. I posed a question in the mod forums and no reply yet. The external battery is/was a temporary fix. Right now, the problem with the Dinghy is it's so small that it's buoyancy and balance sucks. Just bolting on a couple of KAS ports to hoist it up the davit makes it go wonky. The best way I've found is to have all the tools and some KAS ports in your pilots inventory and only bolt them on when you're ready to hoist and remove them when you launch. You can put a command chair on it. There is one spot in the y axis with symmetry on where it'll be upright. Otherwise just turn symmetry off. Putting the fuel in it was no problem. I may make them both external as you suggested once I make it sea worthy.

As for fuel, I considered that, but with it's buoyancy problems, I wanted to get it working right before I worried about people using it to haul snacks and such around.

Thanks for the comments. I haven't studied how to make an IVA yet but I plan to. Considering how often I personally use IVA's in game, it's not huge on my priority list.

- - - Updated - - -

InfinateDice has some well deserved competition. Good job you and InfinateDice together could rule the world('s Oceans).

Yes, his mod is the one I referred to. I tried it and, I couldn't build that carrier for squat. My theory is, while I like good ole vanilla ice cream, not everyone does. His parts, you're pretty much stuck to building his ships. Mine, I hope it to be an 'add what you want' kinda thing.

Another benefit mine has is, it doesn't modify the physics of the game. One of his tricks is to reduce the drag on water parts. Hooligan Labs did a similar trick to make their subs.

Well, here's a secret for you... and I make no promises, but I found a way to turn these boats into submarines, with stock physics. Now if I can get it to work again...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Already tried it with Ferrams BB and it works just fine. As a matter of fact, my initial tests were with BB running and I got one boat up to 100m/s+ on the water... a mono-hull no less.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny you mentioned that. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I did just that. I made a side-wheeler (stern wheeler was a bit much for testing) and... it barely moved even with the rotor speeds cranked up to the point the paddles flew off. I even put the wheels on gantry rails to raise and lower them to see if I could get some traction and... nada.

Again, Kerbol hydrodynamics are nothing like you'd expect.

How do you get the boats into the water though without having to build something to move it to the water? Other than hyperedit anyway.

edit: oh, you're going to need a license of some sort, it's in the addon posting rules.

Edited by smjjames

How do you get the boats into the water though without having to build something to move it to the water? Other than hyperedit anyway.

edit: oh, you're going to need a license of some sort, it's in the addon posting rules.

Well, that's an issue. At first, I was strapping on radial decouplers and wheels. But, after doing that about 20 times and driving to the water each time... I fired up hyperedit.

Now, when I'm ready to play with these boats in my non-stripped copy of KSP... I'll build a big gantry on wheels using KAS. I've used one on many occasion to lift big things and move them short distances. And... if you do build one, it'll be pretty realistic.

New-820-metric-ton-mobile-boat-hoist-by-Cimolai-Technology-for-Derecktor-of-Florida-665x487.jpg

Without an actual 'shipyard' to slide them into the water, you gotta kinda get creative.

And yes, thanks for pointing that out. I uploaded a 'fixed' zip with a BSD license.

Edited by Fengist

Shouldn't the bitts and blisters be in the Utilities tab? Thats where I first tried to look for them. Just giving my thoughts here.

Edit: Why are the compressor and decompressor (which btw is mispelled) in the science tab?? Those definetly should be under utilities.

Edit2: Increase the crash tolerance of the compressors, the slow landing provided by hyperedit is enough to destroy them. Oh, and the texture of the main hull piece broke itself somehow.

Edit3:

Float dammit! XD

Save me from part spam please, 367 parts, lol.....

screenshot9_zpscr4hcrol.png

Bottom of the boat.

screenshot11_zpsbtlyib87.png

Going to try without better buoyancy perhaps.

I don't know what your design was for a paddlewheel, but they work very well.

screenshot12_zpsqpovdipt.png

More speed. The paddles got destroyed but the trusses still work as paddles somehow.

screenshot13_zps8o6zvghi.png

MOAR SPEED!

MOTORBOAT! WOOHOO!

screenshot14_zps9tqu0o9g.png

Edited by smjjames

Shouldn't the bitts and blisters be in the Utilities tab? Thats where I first tried to look for them. Just giving my thoughts here.

You're probably correct. The bitts contain a 'resource' and thus are a 'tank'. The blisters, once upon a time, also contained a resource which didn't work as intended. I shall make a note and move them.

Edit: Why are the compressor and decompressor (which btw is mispelled) in the science tab?? Those definetly should be under utilities.

Again, probably correct. My thoughts there was, it takes some serious bending of physics to compress water. As for the spelling, I shall check and correct. Thanks.

Edit2: Increase the crash tolerance of the compressors, the slow landing provided by hyperedit is enough to destroy them. Oh, and the texture of the main hull piece broke itself somehow.

Well normally, the compressors shouldn't be ummm... submerged.

Edit3:

Float dammit! XD

Save me from part spam please, 367 parts, lol.....

I looked at your pics but it's kinda hard to even see the hull. How did the texture break?

Ummm wow. Ummm. What was the mass on that thing? I floated 145 tons with a LOT less flotation than that? I'm trying to imagine how it had that hard of a time getting to the surface!

I could get a paddlewheeler moving but for the amount of speed I was turning those rotors I expected a lot more momentum.

I looked at your pics but it's kinda hard to even see the hull. How did the texture break?

I honestly don't know how it broke. It may have happened when I reverted to hangar and suddenly the model was textureless, just white.

Ummm wow. Ummm. What was the mass on that thing? I floated 145 tons with a LOT less flotation than that? I'm trying to imagine how it had that hard of a time getting to the surface!

I could get a paddlewheeler moving but for the amount of speed I was turning those rotors I expected a lot more momentum.

16 tons I think? I'll have to check.

Now how did I guess you'd like this Gesch? :D

As on Earth, the oceans of Kerbins are sadly unexplored ;). At last, a boat that doesn't change KSP physics or has to be balanced on Firespitter pontoons! But you know, Firespitter has rudders that work in the water. You might could crib something from them.

As on Earth, the oceans of Kerbins are sadly unexplored ;). At last, a boat that doesn't change KSP physics or has to be balanced on Firespitter pontoons! But you know, Firespitter has rudders that work in the water. You might could crib something from them.

I'll have to study those a bit further, I do know his plugin has it's own 'FSBuoyancy' module it uses, and Better Buoyancy changes the physics of water... not that that's a bad thing considering how horrible water physics is now.

While not a suitable general solution, a very cool specialized solution could be to build a KerbinSide harbor, see if it's possible to put a launch pad just under the water (or something like that), and additionally, put an EPL facility at the shipyard so you can construct vessels directly over the water.

Finally got around to looking at the mass of the experimential paddlewheel ship. Without the flotation and ballast bits, MJ says that the mass is 8.5 tons, while the stock info says 14. something tons.

Heres the ship if you want to look at it. Only things required are tweakscale, MSI robotics, and possibly KJR. Also, since I removed the paddlewheels because I was testing something else, I had to recreate the setup (which was easy), however, the struts on the wheels got all screwed up due to symmetry or something.

http://sta.sh/015lbcfp4aow

And maybe MechJeb in case KSP complains about the module in there which is added through a MM config.

I am sad... I cannot figure out how to make a kerbalmeran.

But I managed to put a railgun on this boat.

So that is something cool.

I didn't figure it would take long for someone to slap a gun on one ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got around to looking at the mass of the experimential paddlewheel ship. Without the flotation and ballast bits, MJ says that the mass is 8.5 tons, while the stock info says 14. something tons.

Heres the ship if you want to look at it. Only things required are tweakscale, MSI robotics, and possibly KJR. Also, since I removed the paddlewheels because I was testing something else, I had to recreate the setup (which was easy), however, the struts on the wheels got all screwed up due to symmetry or something.

And maybe MechJeb in case KSP complains about the module in there which is added through a MM config.

No clue. I can only guess it was the number of parts below the waterline...

- - - Updated - - -

Is this compatible with better buoyancy?

Yep. I initially started building these parts with BB installed. This is just a part pack. It makes no changes to the game.

In development:

Better hulls: Smoother, pointier, gunwales match up and, deck drains in the gunwales.

screenshot49.jpg

Edited by Fengist

....deck drains in the gunwales.

They're called "scuppers" :D.

Geez, I need to figure a way to send these to Laythe.

But first, I need to get better at driving them on Kerbin. I made this go-fast rum-runner as a test project and on her maiden voyage she easily made 86m/s.

18572069070_bc627c8599_z.jpg

Then I took her back into the yard and installed the chaingun. That seemed to have ruined things. From then on, she blew out her bow blisters at 25m/s, which ultimately caused capsizing. That wiped out the superstructure and the derelict hull plowed onto the beach ;D

18573614009_dc0c63bac3_z.jpg