[1.0.4] Maritime Pack - 0.1.4

Fengist

A message to Fengist

1. The new texturing looks totally awesome

2. If you could make a few new textures, (red and black cargo ship, gray navy ship) that can be swapped out for the default using the firespitter texture switch, just in your spare time or down the road, that would be super awesome.

3. Tweakscale. Tweakscale support is something that I think really should be added.

Just my opinion.

1. Thanks, it's taking me ages to get them done tho.

2. Down the road... mebbe. After doing these, I don't wanna see a serious texture in a while.

3. Yep, gonna look into it when the textures are done.

- - - Updated - - -

So in my testing with Tweakscale, mind you I have better buoyancy installed, I found that

1. Awesome but eats RAM (Not the mods fault, fully KSP)
  2. Needs a bigger hangar...had to install a mod to increase the size
  3. I suppose that 5m was a bit big but it loads (and it was epic)
  4. Bounce...it bounces when loaded. Must use blisters.

Keep in mind, I went way too big.

I used a simple method for Tweakscale. No real limits on size either.

@PART[FS_*]

{

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

defaultScale = 1

type = stack

}

}

@PART[FS_*]

{

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

defaultScale = 1

type = surface

}

}

The CFG I use is stored here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikd9x6xuafiqvt6/Maritime_TweakScale.cfg?dl=0

The call is a bit of a duplicate. KSP will ping it for a duplicate, pretty sure that only one is required, but I never did remove the second.

Only thing I would like would be higher heat resistance. I created a crazy contraption that works but it is a bit nutty. Perhaps an electric placeable propeller? I tried the FS electric prop, no go. Without the requirement of intake air it could be usable over in Laythe & Eve.

I saw the pic of the IVA so that is coming.

I tried to make a sub on Laythe but the compressed water didn't fill. Are they viable for other planet usage?

Thanks, soon as I get time (when I'm not doing textures) I'll try out this cfg and see what happens.

Gonna work on a non-air breathing propulsion too.

And bitts/compressed water work anywhere. I've dove to the bottom of laythe with the bathysphere.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish you alot of patience and keep up the enthusiasm!

Thanks, I'll need both.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here Fengist, pass on my thanks to him.

I've sent a number off to his tutorial. Soon as I get some more pixels under my belt, I'll start attempting some as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I downloaded this pack as a goof when I found it trying to figure out a buoyancy problem with an Eve lander. So I built an aircraft carrier and a boat and messed around for a bit, then I decided to go back to my "Serious" save and figure out my lander. Only then did I find the part "Inflatable Dinghy"... A few clicks later an my problems were solved...

I present to you: The Eveboat! Soon will be making another run!

http://i.imgur.com/kyixzDO.png

Now THAT.... is definitely an unintended usage of the parts. *boggle*

- - - Updated - - -

Your mod, is awesome! I wish I was as good at modding as you...

You should consider making hollow boat parts of some sort, it would be fun! Also an extra wide rocket launching platform would be cool, then you could finally launch your rockets from the water! (Of course it should have a very high heat resistance, otherwise it would explode when you launch the rocket.)

P.S

Did I already say that I really love your mod?

If not so, I really love your mod!

LOL, Hah... dood. I'm a newb.

And I already have a hollow boat hull. It was one of the very first test hulls I built. You know what happens when you take a hollow boat hull and put it in the water with 'Better' buoyancy? Makes one really nice rock.

Thanks ;)

- - - Updated - - -

This is a good idea. Some ship parts with deep cargo capability, make it precisely like 8x4 meters or something so by using 1x1 or 2x2 structural pieces it could be roofed

Let's see, I dunno how wide these parts are precisely (without measuring them in the modeller) but the hull parts are preeee cisely 5 meters in lenght. As for cargo holds. I have thot on them and it's on a burner... somewhere.

The craft survived, but the runway on the other hand...

Well, the rest can be told https://youtu.be/kZ9_2Y4PMK4

I didn't want to post the video LOL! I don't want to post the link to my videos to anyone's forum...but it does show some of the problems you may run into...beyond RAM concerns

Edited by Jatwaa

Any chance of you making ballast tanks that fit with submarines? *cough* Mk3 *Cough*

They dont even need a retexture, just, like, take an RCS tank and fill it with water.

I could but it wouldn't do any good. They could make it sink but because the drag on stock parts under water is so massive, at full jet thrust you'd be lucky to make 5 m/s.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at this...

http://i.imgur.com/kQnQhFC.png

The unholy combination of mkiv 2nd and maritime pack.

You guys never cease to... amaze (confuse) me with what you're doing with these parts.

- - - Updated - - -

The craft survived, but the runway on the other hand...

Well, the rest can be told https://youtu.be/kZ9_2Y4PMK4

I didn't want to post the video LOL! I don't want to post the link to my videos to anyone's forum...but it does show some of the problems you may run into...beyond RAM concerns

Wow Billy. Ok, when I get around to putting tweakscale to the test I can see now I'm gonna have to really put a size cap on things. Half the runway??? A boat??? I said I'd get round to bigger boats but visible from ORBIT? Too funny guy, too funny.

I added your video to the list on the OP. Feel free to put it in your post if you wish. As the old saying goes, there's no such thing as ummm.... bad publicity :)

I'll have an update in the next few days on the status of things. So far, 4 of the 6 hull parts have been retextured and a new prop and mount will be on the stern parts.

And just so you know that development of 'other' ideas hasn't stopped because I'm working on textures:

No promises mind you but it's something I'm playing around with.

PaddleWheel.png

Edited by Fengist

I could but it wouldn't do any good. They could make it sink but because the drag on stock parts under water is so massive, at full jet thrust you'd be lucky to make 5 m/s.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys never cease to... amaze (confuse) me with what you're doing with these parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Billy. Ok, when I get around to putting tweakscale to the test I can see now I'm gonna have to really put a size cap on things. Half the runway??? A boat??? I said I'd get round to bigger boats but visible from ORBIT? Too funny guy, too funny.

I added your video to the list on the OP. Feel free to put it in your post if you wish. As the old saying goes, there's no such thing as ummm.... bad publicity :)

I'll have an update in the next few days on the status of things. So far, 4 of the 6 hull parts have been retextured and a new prop and mount will be on the stern parts.

And just so you know that development of 'other' ideas hasn't stopped because I'm working on textures:

No promises mind you but it's something I'm playing around with.

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/Shipyard/PaddleWheel.png

Cool :cool:

Hey Fengist, great mod! I'm into boats like Gremlins after midnight.

What i would really like for this mod to have is procedural parts.

I want to adjust the width, height, length of the hull etc. just like Procedural Fairings does with the fairing bases.

Do you think you can implement that?

Thanks in general!

-Radon86

Is that....A PADDLEWHEEL?

*faints*

Yeah, I actually tried to do the paddle part, but whatever paddle-like part (wing sections mostly) I tried to use, they kept breaking once it started going more than a couple RPM, even turning off crash damage didn't help.

You can see my attempts earlier in the thread.

Fengist,

I think the current tweakscale sice caps are reasonable, you can build average-size carriers with them. Just remember: The Great Wall of China is 'visible from orbit'.....and only 10-20 ft wide.

- - - Updated - - -

And Kerbin is....not that large.......orbit on kerbin is the altitude that spyplanes fly at.....

Fengist,

I think the current tweakscale sice caps are reasonable, you can build average-size carriers with them. Just remember: The Great Wall of China is 'visible from orbit'.....and only 10-20 ft wide.

- - - Updated - - -

And Kerbin is....not that large.......orbit on kerbin is the altitude that spyplanes fly at.....

For the record, the Great Wall of China is quite difficult to see from orbit :sticktongue:

Alright, sadly I have a problem.

I dont have screenshots now as I am still testing, but when switching to the spaceplane hangar from my carrier and then switching back, the carrier spawns around 500m below and launches up out of the water (Its very amusing and resembles the carrier trying to be a slbm:D) However, the carrier is flipped over and damaged. Is their anything I can do? I dont have BB.

Thanks,

JT

PS, an aresting hook and launcher would be great for the carrier!

I dont have screenshots now as I am still testing, but when switching to the spaceplane hangar from my carrier and then switching back, the carrier spawns around 500m below and launches up out of the water (Its very amusing and resembles the carrier trying to be a slbm:D) However, the carrier is flipped over and damaged. Is their anything I can do? I dont have BB.

Thanks,

JT

you might be able to do something with KIS/KAS, but it won't be a true arresting hook because the winch cables don't have colliders.

Is that....A PADDLEWHEEL?

*faints*

Yes, it is. Now tell me, what fuel did paddlewheelers typically burn and what did they produce? And, can that be simulated in KSP?

- - - Updated - - -

Poll says bigger boat at the moment.

It seems to have fluctuated. I'll need better textures before I go bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks,

JT

I have had that problem a few times and I'm not exactly sure what's causing it. I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that all boats are considered splashed. As soon as I get some more details on what's causing it, I can attempt to fix it. For now though, No real clue.

Yes, it is. Now tell me, what fuel did paddlewheelers typically burn and what did they produce? And, can that be simulated in KSP?

Is that a rhetorical question?

If not, then coal usually if we're talking about the steamers. Later ones (like 1880 at the very latest, or probably 1900) could have used oil fueled engines. As for simulating in KSP, I don't see why not, there's the solid fuel rockets, RO has kerosene I believe. If you break it down to the basics, it works exactly the same as any fuel. Heck, we have Uranium.

If you're going for a boiler steam engine, you can just use the water resource from the Community Resource Pack for the, well, water.

i know you said that you want to reduce dependencies, but CRP isn't updated all that often.

Edit: As for the steam emissive, um, I don't know if you can have particles coming from something that isn't an engine nozzle and isn't dust, you'd have to ask in the add-on development. Honestly, I don't know how the setting up of emissives works.

Edited by smjjames

Fengist,

- - - Updated - - -

Still haven't looked at tweakscale yet. Too many things I'm trying to get done before I move on to 'bigger' things.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now, I have no plans for arresting gear. I may look into just a hook though. but that's down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that a rhetorical question?

If not, then coal usually if we're talking about the steamers. Later ones (like 1880 at the very latest, or probably 1900) could have used oil fueled engines. As for simulating in KSP, I don't see why not, there's the solid fuel rockets, RO has kerosene I believe. If you break it down to the basics, it works exactly the same as any fuel. Heck, we have Uranium.

If you're going for a boiler steam engine, you can just use the water resource from the Community Resource Pack for the, well, water.

i know you said that you want to reduce dependencies, but CRP isn't updated all that often.

Edit: As for the steam emissive, um, I don't know if you can have particles coming from something that isn't an engine nozzle and isn't dust, you'd have to ask in the add-on development. Honestly, I don't know how the setting up of emissives works.

And what's the closest thing we have already in-game to coal?

steamtest.jpg

This is a very crude test but, here's the theory.

The stacks you see are engines with almost 0 thrust. They burn ore and do so very efficiently. They'll also require a small amount of compressed water. Once powered up, they generate steam. The paddlewheel at the rear holds the boiler and uses the steam for it's propellant.

Rather than electric engines, which are essentially an unlimited fuel supply, I'm trying to keep it so that you have to do something other than just power up the engines and go. The stacks/paddlewheel theory will have several positives. First, super efficiency. Second, a readily available supply of fuel, should you wish to dig for it. And finally, an engine you can use on bodies other than on Kerbin. It'll use most any atmospheric gas to burn the coal (assume methane, butane, etc.)

The downsides, it'll be less powerful that LF. You still should hit 50+ m/s with a light ship though. The other downside is heat, enough to even explode the stacks. It will generate a fair amount but it will generate it rather slowly. There were numerous incidents of old riverboats losing their boilers and, as a result, passengers. The good news, the new heat radiators dissipate it quickly. The bad news, you have to be pretty much stopped to deploy them (they snap off easy).

The other 'cool' factor to this method is that as long as you have a head of steam, you can shut the stacks off and conserve ore. It also means that you can shut down the paddlewheel, throttle up the stacks and build up a head of steam before you take off. If you wish to be super efficient, you can run on one stack but, it doesn't quite keep up with the demands of the paddle. Another trade-off, speed for fuel efficiency. Or, you can always put them on an action group and turn them on and off in order to keep your steam pressure up.

So, this sound like a fair trade for electrics?

Edited by Fengist

Still haven't looked at tweakscale yet. Too many things I'm trying to get done before I move on to 'bigger' things.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now, I have no plans for arresting gear. I may look into just a hook though. but that's down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

And what's the closest thing we have already in-game to coal?

Ore? I don't know what it's burn rate is though.

edit: That emissive looks pretty good, although maybe a bit much? I mean, I know they spew steam and some smoke, but I don't think steamer ships did it at the steam locomotive level. The river ones at least, the seagoing ones might have been up to that level. I have no idea what I'm talking about anyway.

Edited by smjjames