[1.0.4] Maritime Pack - 0.1.4

Fengist

As far as tweakscale goes, I tried using it on Laythe and it was having issues with buoyancy (if Laythes water is saturated with salts shouldn't it be denser than Kerbins seawater? It's apparently less dense), so I decided not to use tweakscale on the hull. Plus it seemed to be exaggerating the bouncing around that happens when hyperedit places you on the water.

I will look into this. However, in the near future the entire method of flotation for the pack may radically change. More on that later.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought that resizing root part thing was just me, I will probably look into that more after I finish delivering some cargo out to the north pole.

Apparently, it's not just us.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm, is the Yacht superstructure cockpit supposed to have the bathysphere IVA while in space? It shows three kerbals, but theres actually five onboard. I'm not sure if it happened because I launched from the VAB or has something to do with my configuration, I didn't notice until I was already in space. It's my Laythe circumnavigation craft btw.

Edit: I checked in another save this morning and yeah the Yacht superstructure 'pod' does have the bathysphere IVA from the start.

Ummm yes. The IVA for the yacht is a placeholder. And KSP even produces an error in the log stating it's 3 vs 5. Should I ever get over my aversion to creating IVA's, that'll get fixed. But, in the poll that was up recently, IVA's weren't high on the priority list and that didn't bother me one iota.

Okay on the IVA. I swear I saw that the Yacht had an IVA, or maybe that was the cargo bridge. So, I wasn't sure if it was a bug or something.

Only the cargo bridge. The Wheelhouse uses the same IVA. The yacht and bathysphere do not have one.

I don't know if you saw it yet, but theres a new contract mod and plugin which connects right to this mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132913-1-0-4-Maritime-Missions-and-Boat-Navigation-Plugin-%28V1-0-1%29-29-08-2015

The navigation plugin looks interesting, but I won't use it for the Laythe circumnavigation because, well, it's kind of a cheat to skip large distances. Besides, I can go in excess of 250km/h (or in excess of 136 knots) on Laythes water, so I'm not worried about speed.

Edited by smjjames

I don't know if you saw it yet, but theres a new contract mod and plugin which connects right to this mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132913-1-0-4-Maritime-Missions-and-Boat-Navigation-Plugin-%28V1-0-1%29-29-08-2015

The navigation plugin looks interesting, but I won't use it for the Laythe circumnavigation because, well, it's kind of a cheat to skip large distances. Besides, I can go in excess of 250km/h (or in excess of 136 knots) on Laythes water, so I'm not worried about speed.

Yes, the author of that pack already contacted me. But I wasn't aware that he released it yet. I shall add that link somewhere in the OP. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you intend to add clipper ships?

Are you referring to ones with sails?

Got a problem, Tweakscale doesn't work for the cockpits. (On the original version of 1.0.4 anyway, haven't downloaded to see if it's fixed) Can't be the mods, only have BDA, BB, HyperEdit, Maritime, TweakScale, and a placeable flags mod.

Please fix ASAP if you can.

Edited by diomedea

Installed this and tried to build a boat - when I go to launch it I briefly see it on the runway and then everything goes black (hud is still there) and all I can do is escape back to the space centre, which is often replaced by a star field. Halp?!

Installed this and tried to build a boat - when I go to launch it I briefly see it on the runway and then everything goes black (hud is still there) and all I can do is escape back to the space centre, which is often replaced by a star field. Halp?!

I am having the exact same issue, my ship has around 112 parts using mostly parts from the CVE pack, the output log shows nothing unusual apart from this:

ArgumentException: The thing you want to instantiate is null.

at UnityEngine.Object.CheckNullArgument (System.Object arg, System.String message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.AddInternalPart (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.CreateInternalModel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.SpawnCrew () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.SpawnCrew () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.MakeActive () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightGlobals.setActiveVessel (.Vessel v, Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightGlobals.SetActiveVessel (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ShipConstruction.AssembleForLaunch (.ShipConstruct ship, System.String landedAt, System.String flagURL, .Game sceneState, .VesselCrewManifest crewManifest) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightDriver.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Followed by afew seconds later:

Look rotation viewing vector is zero

(Filename: Line: 70)

On every fixed update/update. It looks like a config error from the IVA's but Im not sure.

yes specifically those from the ship of the line style in the 1800s

In that case, the answer is... I hope so. I've already experimented with a sail design but it's currently in a part directory known as the 'Junkyard.' But I'm not giving up easy on this.

- - - Updated - - -

Got a problem, Tweakscale doesn't work for the cockpits. (On the original version of 1.0.4 anyway, haven't downloaded to see if it's fixed) Can't be the mods, only have BDA, BB, HyperEdit, Maritime, TweakScale, and a placeable flags mod.

Please fix ASAP if you can.

As intended. Parts with hatches, with the exception of the CVE Bridge for now, will not be tweakable unless you add the code yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

there is a basic wind mod that's been released (dunno if 1.0+ compatible) and an advanced weather mod still under development, so wind sails would be worth looking into at least

I am aware of it's existence but I have not looked at it specifically. Again, I'm trying not to rely on outside mods.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, this sounds very much like a visit from the Kraken. I've seen this happen before and I've seen it happen for lots of reasons. The first thing I'll need to do is to attempt to reproduce these results. In order to do that I'm going to need to see the craft file. If you would, please send me a private message and put the contents of the .craft file inside <code> wrappers and I'll definitely take a look.

- - - Updated - - -

I am having the exact same issue, my ship has around 112 parts using mostly parts from the CVE pack, the output log shows nothing unusual apart from this:

Yea, if you ever get into modding you'll soon discover that Unity had a unique feature. Rather than being proactive about finding things that could cause errors, it prefers to crash and then scratch it's head trying to figure out what happened.

As above, get me the .craft file and I can begin digging into it.

BATHYSPHERE BROKEN!

Thanks to Whitecat106 for sending me a .craft file, I was able to quickly identify an issue with the Bathysphere. As he correctly guessed, it's an IVA issue. Once upon a time I was working on an IVA for the Bathysphere. After pulling out large clumps of hair, I temporarily surrendered. But I forgot to change the .cfg file back to a default IVA. Until I put out a new update, here's how to fix it.

In the Maritime Pack/Accessories/Bathysphere directory, edit the part.cfg.

Change this:

INTERNAL

{

name = FS_BathysphereIVA

}

to this:

INTERNAL

{

name = GenericSpace3

}

Hello everyone !

First time i come to the forum, so first, THANX to every modder for the incredible work !

And for this one, before to download, is it possible to make a tracking station with a ship, adding an antenna for example ? If not, it could be a very nice idea for use with something like remote tech...

I'll try this one this evening, whatever should be answered.

Thanx, one more time !

Hey, Fengist, I just wanted to let you know I'm having a lot of fun with your mod. I combined it with some stuff from BD Armory and Infernal Robotics and made a neat little battleship.

You have my permission to use, blah blah, legal stuff, NEED MORE SPLOSIONS

3AD9F3BF54EE7FF8791D3AA8416007B13F558BE2

D79317420A9D26EF79E3823B727FBB6CC544FC5F

Edited by Tanya Sapien

BATHYSPHERE BROKEN!

Thanks to Whitecat106 for sending me a .craft file, I was able to quickly identify an issue with the Bathysphere. As he correctly guessed, it's an IVA issue. Once upon a time I was working on an IVA for the Bathysphere. After pulling out large clumps of hair, I temporarily surrendered. But I forgot to change the .cfg file back to a default IVA. Until I put out a new update, here's how to fix it.

In the Maritime Pack/Accessories/Bathysphere directory, edit the part.cfg.

Change this:

INTERNAL

{

name = FS_BathysphereIVA

}

to this:

INTERNAL

{

name = GenericSpace3

}

Is it a problem for the yacht superstructure as it uses the same IVA?

Is it a problem for the yacht superstructure as it uses the same IVA?

Nope, GenericSpace3 is the correct IVA... which is just a stock placeholder till I *cough* get around to IVA's

- - - Updated - - -

Hello everyone !

First time i come to the forum, so first, THANX to every modder for the incredible work !

And for this one, before to download, is it possible to make a tracking station with a ship, adding an antenna for example ? If not, it could be a very nice idea for use with something like remote tech...

I'll try this one this evening, whatever should be answered.

Thanx, one more time !

Actually, I had been thinking about just such a ship the past few days.

Ship_Kosmonaut_Yuri_Gagarin.JPEG

Plop something like this on Kerbin on the opposite side of the planet from KSC and... no more satellite blackouts.

And welcome to the forums, your latest addiction.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, Fengist, I just wanted to let you know I'm having a lot of fun with your mod. I combined it with some stuff from BD Armory and Infernal Robotics and made a neat little battleship.

You have my permission to use, blah blah, legal stuff, NEED MORE SPLOSIONS

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/420312961741971168/3AD9F3BF54EE7FF8791D3AA8416007B13F558BE2/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/420312961741987129/D79317420A9D26EF79E3823B727FBB6CC544FC5F/

Check back a page or two. There's a new mod out using Maritime Pack as the scale for their guns. Enjoy.

Downloads Updated:

Download files in the OP, Kerbalstuff and Curse have been updated with the fixed Bathysphere IVA. If you don't use the Bathysphere, no need to re-download.

Edited by Fengist

Check back a page or two. There's a new mod out using Maritime Pack as the scale for their guns. Enjoy.

I saw that a little while back, but it wasn't done yet so I didn't grab it. Nice to know it's in a functional state now. I'll definitely be getting to work on some proper vessels.

In the meantime, I leave you with my hydrogen tanker. It carries exactly 5 million units of liquid hydrogen, worth $135,000.

Working alongside my drilling rig which also uses the ships mod, it's a nice method of steady non-cheating career mode money

E09B512A748AED2ED9CBA849440D7B02A502BC37

0EB9CE4B2FF8163582FF385D59BD0F271A089506

3A312FBBDE10AF598DB8C344FDA1A833254DE6CD

A20437A77021FCDD79DD7EBA8384D7DB296009C8

DB8D06684D07DBCF0A70EEC0DE6C568524C1E2F3

B2B5E4A52C47974209CA2EBC81D5EA5E433087CD

I saw that a little while back, but it wasn't done yet so I didn't grab it. Nice to know it's in a functional state now. I'll definitely be getting to work on some proper vessels.

In the meantime, I leave you with my hydrogen tanker. It carries exactly 5 million units of liquid hydrogen, worth $135,000.

Yea... I really gotta work on some larger hulls in the near future and get away from tweakscale. Scaled up, the sculpers are so large you could sculp a Kerbal through one.

Cool ship, I had already imagine someone making one like that and THAT is why I created this mod... cargo ships just like that. Thanks!

There is a plan in the works though that will most likely eliminate the need for bitts and blisters. More on that as it develops.

Edited by Fengist

There is a plan in the works though that will most likely eliminate the need for bitts and blisters. More on that as it develops.

Anything that helps reduce part count and make the ballast system better is good. Not sure if you've seen how many blisters I had to put on my Laythe circumnavigation craft.

Fengist, I don't want to be pushy or anything, but do you have any plans for adding proper naval hulls and bridges, or even a 'stealth' hull from a zumwalt class or LCS? if so any ETA? also, here is some inspiration:

hmsdragon3-2.jpg

SHIP_LCS-2_Builders_Trials_lg.jpg

web_130214-N-WF272-012.jpg

rtn_167820.jpg

Anything that helps reduce part count and make the ballast system better is good. Not sure if you've seen how many blisters I had to put on my Laythe circumnavigation craft.

Yes, I did. I'll put it this way. While I'm not quite ready to discuss or reveal the magic going on behind the curtain, if 'he' can pull this off, it'll change buoyancy as we know it.

Fengist, I don't want to be pushy or anything, but do you have any plans for adding proper naval hulls and bridges, or even a 'stealth' hull from a zumwalt class or LCS? if so any ETA? also, here is some inspiration:

http://ftnews.firetrench.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/hmsdragon3-2.jpg

http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/SHIP_LCS-2_Builders_Trials_lg.jpg

http://mms.businesswire.com/media/20150126005881/en/450383/5/web_130214-N-WF272-012.jpg

http://www.raytheon.com/news/rtnwcm/groups/gallery/documents/digitalasset/rtn_167820.jpg

Hi Tbone,

I fully understand you're not being pushy but it's time I kinda explained how my brain is working. So, here's a long answer.

In the many hours of research I've done on this lil project I've come up with a gazillion ideas. Since there's only two of us actually working on ship mods, the field is wide open so there's gobs of parts that could be created. And yes, all of the things you have mentioned have been investigated and considered. However, I know first hand that InfiniteDice isn't creating any new parts. His RL obligations are making it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to maintain his own mod (Boat Parts). So that means, at the moment, I'm the only person actively working on anything maritime for KSP. I can sum it up this way...

Soooo many parts... Soooo little time.

So, here's how I prioritize what I'm doing next:

1. I have fun. If I cease to have fun, you cease to get parts. If you cease to get parts, you cease to have fun.

Dice told me that one of the issues he had with Boat Parts was that he ceased to have fun because he was spending more time filling requests rather than bringing to life what was in his head. I took that advice seriously. So, I'm trying to balance what I want vs. what everyone else wants.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE suggestions and hope they keep coming. But, that being said, the core of Maritime is complete and the Clipper is just that. And already, with the paddlewheelers (something I wanted + a very early request to transport lots of Kerbals) the core pack is over 40 parts. So, I have to consider fun factor vs increasing the pack size as well.

Next, I have to consider function vs need. Yes, I'd love to add in some more superstructure parts and that's in the idea book. But right now, the boats work without them. Adding in superstructure parts or stealth hulls would only be eye candy. While I like cool looking ships, I'm trying to focus on functional first. So, to answer in turn:

1. V shaped hulls - Using stock physics, it's not gonna happen. Flotation works on the amount of surface area contacting and below the surface. V hulls end up akin to balancing a pencil on it's tip. But a fix is being worked on.

2. Superstructure, specifically military - I love blowing people and things up. Just not in KSP. I know others do. I spoke to the guys who are creating the new guns based on the Maritime Pack hull size and offered them the opportunity to have one of my models to base their designs on. I suggested that they focus on military while I focus on civilian maritime pursuits. They have not gotten back to me. I know they were considering working on boat hulls. I wish them luck in that little endeavor.

3. Stealth - While a lot of the new boat designs out there look really cool, like stealth, for the moment, it would just be an eye candy part since there's no radar to avoid. Sorry, not real high on my priority list.

So, now that I've basically tossed all of your suggestions into the proverbial garbage, let me hopefully cause you to raise an eyebrow with what has become my latest inspiration for the Maritime Pack.

MIGALOO_Private-submersible-yacht-by-motion-code-blue-21-1418x519.jpg

Edited by Fengist