[1.0.4] Maritime Pack - 0.1.4

Fengist

You have to admit though, passing though the 1,000m barrier for the first time gave some rather unexpected results.

Yup :D. I wasn't actually expecting to see anything at all. At first I thought it was some weird lighting effect, then I managed to rotate the camera a bit and there was Jool!

@thatonebritishguy: How come your debug console looks different from the one I have? What I have looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/Laythe%20Circumnavigation_screenshot_2015-09-06--21-59-39_zps3e9bluep.png

Alt+F2 on windows opens an alternate debug log. I prefer it mostly because it's much more convenient, and easier to hide/unhide quickly. It's also IMO less intrusive due to its smaller size and smoother aesthetics.

Edited by ThatOneBritishGuy...

I'm very supportive of a civilian approach to this pack.

I've said before I like exploration and research style vehicles - they're not shiny, expensive vessels, they're very utilitarian. I had the pleasure of a day on this research vessel operating out of Southampton:

https://goo.gl/photos/3HbKgDJb47EFD5X86

The Callista is a small boat, under 20m long (over 20m and they need a pilot, £!), but the ultimate is something like the RRS Discovery.

http://noc.ac.uk/research-at-sea/ships/rrs-discovery

There's a thread elsewhere about a mod idea to collect rock, liquid and gas samples using KIS. It never got anywhere, but a CTD device off a KAS winch would be a bread and butter oceanographic science experiment.

http://noc.ac.uk/research-at-sea/nmfss/nmep/ctd

I've added tweakscale to the parts I think should have it.

I tried making a 4x size supertanker which could fit 3 rows of Kerbodyne tanks on it. Unfortunately, when I tried using firespitter's water launch system, it spawned in at about mach 10, exploded and sent the bow and some tanks to over 4 km up. I have yet to work out why the water launch system does stuff like this every time I use it on any vehicle.

I tried making a 4x size supertanker which could fit 3 rows of Kerbodyne tanks on it. Unfortunately, when I tried using firespitter's water launch system, it spawned in at about mach 10, exploded and sent the bow and some tanks to over 4 km up. I have yet to work out why the water launch system does stuff like this every time I use it on any vehicle.

Two suggestions:

1. Hyperedit if you're into 'cheating.' I use it to get my test parts to water and it's yet to fail.

2. The Clipper Cradle part in the pack. Just slap some wheels on it.

There's a thread elsewhere about a mod idea to collect rock, liquid and gas samples using KIS. It never got anywhere, but a CTD device off a KAS winch would be a bread and butter oceanographic science experiment.

http://noc.ac.uk/research-at-sea/nmfss/nmep/ctd

The pictures smell like Universal Storage to me!

I've updated the OP to include a list of mods known to use and support the Maritime Pack (little did I know this mod would develop it's own following *boggle*)

One that I was informed of a few weeks back was apparently released a week or so ago. Whitecat106, who created the Historical Missions Pack with over 400 contracts to complete, has delved into the maritime world. He's created a pack of 25 missions specifically designed to be completed by boats. He's also created a boat navigation plugin that allows you to set a destination for your boats and have them do the travelling in the background.

N5xe4Hn.png

Two suggestions:

1. Hyperedit if you're into 'cheating.' I use it to get my test parts to water and it's yet to fail.

2. The Clipper Cradle part in the pack. Just slap some wheels on it.

The problem is that there is nowhere to launch my carrier because all the parts are tweakscaled up 4 times because the regular carrier is too small. So if i spawn it on the KSC runway it instantly explodes. So i have to spawn it on the KSS Kerminsov in position 1. and then hyperedit it to where i want to to be which puts it in a weird angle and then it falls and explodes. Also it doesnt float. Not even with a ton of buoyancy blisters which i also tweakscaled 4 times larger. Could you make your own water launch addon to kerbinside? Because the Ben bay buoy just puts me underwater and i go BOOM

Edited by Combatsmithen

The problem is that there is nowhere to launch my carrier because all the parts are tweakscaled up 4 times because the regular carrier is too small. So if i spawn it on the KSC runway it instantly explodes. So i have to spawn it on the KSS Kerminsov in position 1. and then hyperedit it to where i want to to be which puts it in a weird angle and then it falls and explodes. Also it doesnt float. Not even with a ton of buoyancy blisters which i also tweakscaled 4 times larger. Could you make your own water launch addon to kerbinside? Because the Ben bay buoy just puts me underwater and i go BOOM

It's progressing but probably not as fast as you'd like ;).

Lately, I've been beating my head against camera code for use underwater. I have some working but it passes right through the terrain.

By the way, for those of you curious about how a modder thinks... here's something that was brought to my attention today.

greatlakestrader-10-00-dc.jpg

This, is actually, two separate vessels.

A barge

Tradernotch-9-1-03-ts.jpg

and a rather uniquely designed tug boat.

VANENKEVORTJLb3309-04-02mn-.jpg

So, this give anyone else any ideas on how to make bigger boats? Hummm... think.... docking ports!

Edited by Fengist

@Fengist, I had a chance to play around with your mod this evening. Nice work! I think that you struck a nice balance with your model and texture detail. The parts also scale nicely. I made a few modifications to the config files on my install to fix a problem with overheating, and raised the crash tolerance of the aircraft carrier decks.

I managed a nice night landing on a low-part carrier.

zNpUzdC.png

AfYyKQa.png

Thanks for creating this, and I hope that you continue to actively develop the mod pack.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm remembering the times I took my variant of the Boat Parts carrier for a long voyage across the ocean. In time warp, docked planes would be adversely affected by time warp airflow and flopped through the deck at odd angles.

Now that cargo bays effectively shield parts stowed within, it's feasible to make storage bays to stash planes for long trips, and avoid time warp flopping. It wouldn't work with individual parts made into a cargo bay, as Boat Parts does, it needs to be unified parts which surround the storage area, if I understand the new aero correctly. It might work underwater too, sub carriers!

If you're willing to countenance a dependency, allista's Hangar mod avoid all of this by storing and unloading whole craft, but no-one has made their own parts using his code yet. The Hangar parts are unwieldy to use in carriers or subs.

@Fengist, I had a chance to play around with your mod this evening. Nice work! I think that you struck a nice balance with your model and texture detail. The parts also scale nicely. I made a few modifications to the config files on my install to fix a problem with overheating, and raised the crash tolerance of the aircraft carrier decks.

I managed a nice night landing on a low-part carrier.

http://i.imgur.com/zNpUzdC.png

http://i.imgur.com/AfYyKQa.png

Thanks for creating this, and I hope that you continue to actively develop the mod pack.

http://imgur.com/a/pCqHw

I upped the crash tolerances for the CVE last patch and thot I nuked all the heating problems. What did you have to change in the config? I'll take a look if you remember.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm remembering the times I took my variant of the Boat Parts carrier for a long voyage across the ocean. In time warp, docked planes would be adversely affected by time warp airflow and flopped through the deck at odd angles.

Your memories may soon be a new reality.

Now that cargo bays effectively shield parts stowed within, it's feasible to make storage bays to stash planes for long trips, and avoid time warp flopping. It wouldn't work with individual parts made into a cargo bay, as Boat Parts does, it needs to be unified parts which surround the storage area, if I understand the new aero correctly. It might work underwater too, sub carriers!

If you're willing to countenance a dependency, allista's Hangar mod avoid all of this by storing and unloading whole craft, but no-one has made their own parts using his code yet. The Hangar parts are unwieldy to use in carriers or subs.

I have played with cargo bays and submarines. My tests so far indicate that (like this was unexpected) water does not work like the atmosphere. It seems cargo bays under water do nothing. But I'm still testing.

Does the normal download have all the parts? As i cannot find and CVE/paddle boat parts (Bar the white deck piece and gangway), or a rudder or motor.

All 3 packs should have the rudder. It'll be under Maritime Pack/Essentials. CVE parts are under Maritime Pack/CVE Parts and there's two directories for paddlewheel parts, Paddlewheel and Paddlewheel Pods. If you have those directories under GameData, the parts should load. Be sure to check the filter for all Maritime parts. Find it by clicking the black arrow at the top left in the SPH. It'll be on the bottom. If you have those directories and the parts still aren't loading, let me know and we'll investigate further.

- - - Updated - - -

Really like the mod, but my question is: What do the boats use to move around? All I see is those steam powered spinny-things but is there anything else? I had this mod before the spinny steam things came around, and I don't think I ever found out.

Well, I'm not sure what your question exactly is. If you mean engines? There's several, the 3 paddlewheels and there's a surface mount engine with a propeller.

Hello everyone,

I do not want to seem as if I am advertising my mod at all but I saw a while back someone ask about new parts to move a vessel into the sea; especially since KerbinSide's ocean bases have not been updated yet.

So I decided to incorporate a spawning system into my MaritimeMissions and Boat Navigation Plugin pack which allows you to spawn a vessel into the sea at some launch sites via a SPH interface (no pretty harbourside models yet!) but if anyone has reservations about using Hyper edit, this is an alternative method of launching into the Ocean without needing to know precise coordinates or the temptation to 'cheat'. So check it out if you would like! :)

Looking forward to the next update Fengist! :)

All 3 packs should have the rudder. It'll be under Maritime Pack/Essentials. CVE parts are under Maritime Pack/CVE Parts and there's two directories for paddlewheel parts, Paddlewheel and Paddlewheel Pods. If you have those directories under GameData, the parts should load. Be sure to check the filter for all Maritime parts. Find it by clicking the black arrow at the top left in the SPH. It'll be on the bottom. If you have those directories and the parts still aren't loading, let me know and we'll investigate further.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I'm not sure what your question exactly is. If you mean engines? There's several, the 3 paddlewheels and there's a surface mount engine with a propeller.

Actually i had a look and there was only really the clipper parts.

So, have I thought about this? Oh yes, and I have a few ideas I'm going to test but this is well down the road. Rest assured, hoisting the jolly roger is on my to-do list.

http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbal/sailing1.jpg

you posted this back in June this is exactly what i meant when i said ship of the line, except bigger

now i only need cannons...

I'd like to report a bug that I've been having issues with but have not seen reported here before. It seems that the clipper deck adapter likes to randomly overheat like I've heard cubic octagonal struts like to do in stock (I use stock bugfix modules). This issue only happened on my paddle-replica of the USS Langley, probably because it used a ton of them for the runway. This issue actually led to it's demise when I turned on physics warp while testing Lack's nuclear ramjet within physics range of the KSC. The crew survived, but the entire runway was separated from the ship.