[1.0.4] Maritime Pack - 0.1.4

Fengist

On June 11, 2015 at 0:21 AM, Fengist said:

The KSP Maritime Pack

… is no longer in development.  Thanks to the fact that Squad could give a damn about their modders, who make that game what it is, the Maritime Pack became busted, as of 1.0.5, in order for Squad to have stock aircraft pontoons.  InfiniteDice (the creator of Boat Parts, the only other naval pack for KSP) tried to warn me this would happen.  He gave up a long time ago after Squad busted his mod on more than one occasion.

You don’t need to beat me over the head with a stick twice, it only takes once.

I have learned my lesson when it comes to modding for KSP… don’t bother.  Squad’s only concern when they update their game is for their precious stock parts.  If you like stock parts, you’re in luck.  If you like mods, expect them to vanish just like this one did.

Thanks to everyone who supported this mod.  I had a blast while it lasted.  But now, thanks to Squad destroying 5 months worth of intense work, I could give a damn.

-Fengist

Let me offer my input on this.  I sent you a PM before you edited this, asking you if you would like me to take this over for you, as you had stopped development.  No reply.  I then decided to go to work on my own.  I personally find this update has helped boats.  It may have killed plugins, and made you need to fix colliders and rewrite configs, but it hasn't killed anything else.  This should have made it easier.  You can simply add a buoyancy key to the config to add buoyancy to your pontoons.  You need to remember that we have a great community to consult with whenever you have any issues.  You also need to realize that Unity put out an update which is giving Squad a hell of a lot of trouble with updating KSP to for 1.1.  If they reacted the same way to Unity 5 as you did with KSP 1.0.5, they'd only be a little marketing company in Mexico.  They have been working for months on updating it to the new version.  It's how software works.  When you got into modding, you signed up for this.  I expect this with every new version.  Of any piece of software.  Example: Xcode 7 brought Swift 2, which broke everything.  I expected this, and did all I could to make it as smooth as possible.  I personally am developing a game which has been broken several times by Unity updates, even before it has even reached prototype.  Doing this requires work.  Everyone else:  don't listen to what he says.  Don't expect it to require no work at all.

@CliftonM do you happen to know the licencing on this?  I guess I can look it up on the old web but thought you might know.

Edit:
hmm- 

"Copyright (c) 2015, DataInterlock
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the name of the DataInterlock nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE."

Doesn't look like any one will be able to carry this on.  Too bad I guess he really does want 5 months of work to go down the drain.

Edited by mcirish3

BSD license

Copyright (c) <year>, <copyright holder>
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
   must display the following acknowledgement:
   This product includes software developed by the <organization>.
4. Neither the name of the <organization> nor the
   names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
   derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY <COPYRIGHT HOLDER> ''AS IS'' AND ANY
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL <COPYRIGHT HOLDER> BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

14 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

You do not have to ask first. You do have to credit him, but you cannot use his name to promote your stuff.

I think I'll stick with working on mine.  I'll try to make it hit the original goals of this mod.  It's really too bad.  I personally really liked it.

47 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

If they reacted the same way to Unity 5 as you did with KSP 1.0.5, they'd only be a little marketing company in Mexico.  They have been working for months on updating it to the new version.  It's how software works.  When you got into modding, you signed up for this.

CliftonM, I agree with everything you said, but I just wanted to point out that, at least with Squad, its a COMMERCIAL endeavor... Meaning there is $$, an income, involved... Developing (basically DONATING) a mod for KSP, (at least, usually), there is no income or $$ involved... Granted Fengist took the effort of actually posting that he was abandoning the mod, and why... Most mods that become abandoned, are just that, with no statement or reason stating such, leaving people to wonder...

20 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

CliftonM, I agree with everything you said, but I just wanted to point out that, at least with Squad, its a COMMERCIAL endeavor... Meaning there is $$, an income, involved... Developing (basically DONATING) a mod for KSP, (at least, usually), there is no income or $$ involved... Granted Fengist took the effort of actually posting that he was abandoning the mod, and why... Most mods that become abandoned, are just that, with no statement or reason stating such, leaving people to wonder...

Understood, but when KSP was started, there was no income from it.  There was actually loss.  There were several game breaking Unity updates in that time.

10 hours ago, CliftonM said:

I think I'll stick with working on mine.  I'll try to make it hit the original goals of this mod.  It's really too bad.  I personally really liked it.

ya too bad he did not want to sign the mod over to you.  I probably would have sped things up on your end.  But thanks for carrying on.

10 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

ya too bad he did not want to sign the mod over to you.  I probably would have sped things up on your end.  But thanks for carrying on.

Yep.

On 6/11/2015 at 5:21 AM, Fengist said:

The KSP Maritime Pack

… is no longer in development.  Thanks to the fact that Squad could give a damn about their modders, who make that game what it is, the Maritime Pack became busted, as of 1.0.5, in order for Squad to have stock aircraft pontoons.  InfiniteDice (the creator of Boat Parts, the only other naval pack for KSP) tried to warn me this would happen.  He gave up a long time ago after Squad busted his mod on more than one occasion.

You don’t need to beat me over the head with a stick twice, it only takes once.

I have learned my lesson when it comes to modding for KSP… don’t bother.  Squad’s only concern when they update their game is for their precious stock parts.  If you like stock parts, you’re in luck.  If you like mods, expect them to vanish just like this one did.

Thanks to everyone who supported this mod.  I had a blast while it lasted.  But now, thanks to Squad destroying 5 months worth of intense work, I could give a damn.

-Fengist

i agree with what ll of you have said, you are trying to put it politely but basically, it sounds like fengist gave up too easily

I didn't give up, I got fed up, just like Dice did.  It's pointless to try to improve things for Squad when they don't even consider all the effort modders put into their work. I got fed up because, at the time, mine was the only boat mod out there and Nathan decided his goal was to make stock parts float so players could make flotation planes. Not one consideration was given to my mod in the process. Now, should I consider myself so special that they should consider my mod before changing the game?  No.  But, look at how many mods have utterly vanished because Squad doesn't even have the courtesy to ask modders their opinion or give them a chance to test the changes before they slap them in the face.  I was not once consulted, asked what I thought, given a chance to test the patch... all I got was, 'you shouldn't need to change anything unless you're exploiting bugs.'   Had that been the truth, I'd still be working on this mod.  In reality, it took me 5 minutes to realize just how screwed over my mods were.

Dice figured this out a long time ago and gave up. I know this because I talk to him weekly.  Even he told me not to bother, it'll just get screwed over again and again and again.  

I'm sorry. I had a blast creating this mod and seeing what everyone could do with it.  It's an amazing feeling, really.  But, like many modders, I'm in no mood to keep chasing my own tail.

Nextly...

As of Oct. 19, the license changed to CCANC just to keep Squad from stealing the concepts I created and profiting from it.  Now, whether the NC can be linked to the fact that Squad is profiting from my mod is debatable so any derivative would be in a legal grey area.

But, since you guys won't leave me alone with this (2 months later and I'm still getting blasted with e-mails), I'll do this:

If one person is willing to take over this mod AND the submarine mod I will provide them with everything I have on it.  This includes, all models created in Wings3D.  All of the Unity files. The source code I was working on to 'improve' flotation and the source code for the Sub pack.  I will also edit the OP for both mods and point them to the new forum post.

Here's the catch.  It's over 5 gigs of data.  If someone is willing to mail me a thumb drive with return postage paid, I will copy that data onto the thumb drive and mail it back to them. Yes, 5 gigs.  There's a lot of junk in there including models I didn't finish or release. (no I will not upload this anywhere).

Whoever takes this over best know something about C#, Wings3D, Unity, multi-layer png files... etc.

So, if you're brave and want these headaches, pm me.

30 minutes ago, Fengist said:

No more than you wasted mine. And if you're thinking of taking this over, hell no.  Not after the PM's you just sent me.

Per your own licenses, you actually have no control of that.

Yes, my terrible PMs trying to get you to come back and work on your mod. What a jerk I am. You have my permission to show them to everybody, if you so desire.

Edited by Randazzo

50 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

Per your own licenses, you actually have no control of that.

Yes, my terrible PMs trying to get you to come back and work on your mod. What a jerk I am. You have my permission to show them to everybody, if you so desire.

And you expected me to respond favorably to your threats and insults?  And read my lips, the license changed.

9 minutes ago, Fengist said:

And you expected me to respond favorably to your threats and insults?  And read my lips, the license changed.

This is categorically false and you know it, but you also know I can't prove it without your permission. I won't bicker with you further.

I'm gong with my own mod.  I'd rather do my own work than take yours.  I'll let it die.  @Red Iron Crown, I think this is getting a bit heated, and this mod is long dead.  You're the first moderator that popped into my head.  You might want to lock this thread, with the permission of @Fengist, who I believe would like that.

EDIT:
@Fengist, please remember that I still have respect for you.  I think you are a great person, but I don't like the way you react to everything.  Please understand that.

Edited by Guest

Oh dear, things have gotten really heated in here.

@Fengist I am happy to close this thread if you no longer wish to continue with your mod. I feel I must point out that you cannot retroactively change the license of a mod, it is governed by the terms given when distributed (this is one reason why a copy of the license must be included in the download package. Looking at the last download I have of Maritime Pack it would appear these are the terms:

Copyright (c) 2015, DataInterlock
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the name of the DataInterlock nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

So it would appear that the terms you chose permit anyone to take up development or make other derivative works, commercial or not. I don't think I'd worry too much about Squad taking the parts, but your choice of license means anyone can pick up where you're leaving off as long as the above terms are met.

@Everyone else, please dial back the personal attacks and assorted bickering, it is entirely up to the modder if they wish to continue developing a mod or cede it over to someone else, please do not harass anyone about it.

6 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

So it would appear that the terms you chose permit anyone to take up development or make other derivative works, commercial or not. I don't think I'd worry too much about Squad taking the parts, but your choice of license means anyone can pick up where you're leaving off as long as the above terms are met.

@Everyone else, please dial back the personal attacks and assorted bickering, it is entirely up to the modder if they wish to continue developing a mod or cede it over to someone else, please do not harass anyone about it.

As to first statement, I just thought I would add, to anyone considering picking this mod up, it seems as far as the LEGAL aspect, anyone can grab it and continue it...
However, I would urge such person to consider the ETHICAL aspect: whether it should be continued or not, WITHOUT Fengist's blessing, since he has taken the time to at least explain his feelings about the matter...

There is another modder who had several nice mods I liked, and found himself in sort of a similar situation...

I for one would not use "Continued" versions of Fengist's, or anyone other's such mods, without their public blessing since they have stated their feeling on the matter... I dont know, it just wouldnt seem right to me...

But that is just MY opinion... Which as always, doesnt matter much in the scheme of things...lol

As to second statement, is it just me, or does there seem to be increasing posts of whining, complaining, and downright demanding posts, towards modders regarding fixes & updates?... Maybe its just due to increasing numbers of people buying the game, so the numbers of people doing such things will of course increas..??
I just hope it doesnt start discouraging more and more modders to leave or drop things... :(

@Fengist , I commend you on your response above, to basically give your blessing to the right person to pick this up, given the unfortunate state of affairs...

I really have enjoyed playing both the Maritime and Sub packs...
The Sub pack inspired me to start  an attempt at picking up modelling & making my second ever part for KSP... (Its submarine related... :) )

Edited by Stone Blue