[1.0.4] Maritime Pack - 0.1.4

Fengist

Nope, only Dice and I have a copy of what he's working on. But, I made the video below to show you where the thought process is going. Some things to keep in mind when viewing this:

• This is merely a proof of concept. It's still in the very early stages.
  • The 'boxes' you see won't be in the final product. This is just so we have a visual reference while in development.
  • Many things are not yet working as they should. While linear drag is something we can set, drag when at an angle doesn't exist yet. So, turning vessels doesn't work well, which is why this video is all straight line sailing.
  • Many of the things you see in the GUI won't be adjustable via the GUI but will be via the config.
  • There are other options in the config that you don't see on the gui.
  • No, we have no idea as to when. Dice is doing this in his spare time.
  • We have not tested this with tweakscale. While it does work on parts ranging from my clippers to Dice's carrier I won't make any promises that we'll even test it with tweakscale. I know you guys want big boats but to me, tweakscale is like a band-aid.

That looks amazing. If possible, I'd also suggest looking into disabling splash effects for hull pieces with the module. I think it'd do wonders to improve quality of life for us sailers.

That looks amazing. If possible, I'd also suggest looking into disabling splash effects for hull pieces with the module. I think it'd do wonders to improve quality of life for us sailers.

I believe Dice already has code to do that. I know his engines create their own particle effect.

You can actually sort of do rooster tails with Better Buoyancy, but you need to go at high speeds.

Ah sorry, you know I don't ignore you typically. Just saw the question and forgot to answer.

I'm currently working with Unity 5.1 and am writing code using the 5.1 dll's. AFAIK, there are no changes to the way the code works, merely changes in the way it's accessed. It means, a lot of mods that are written prior to 5.1, should the modder upgrade, will find they have to rewrite large chunks of their code.

I'm pretty sure though that the way water works in KSP is the result of Squad's coding. I've seen other aquatic games/sims written in Unity and their water is nothing like KSP.

So, if there's going to be any changes, it'll be because Squad either wants to change it or has to change it.

Well, it's no surprise that there will be a lot of work to do to update the mods. Hopefully SQUAD makes the transitions as smooth as possible.

As for the water, I have no idea where they got the origional water coding, but hopefully they don't change whatever water sim they put in. Maybe someone can ask (me probably) at the next squadcast.

If you mean weapons, he's said that he isn't doing that.

I think what he means is hulls that resemble modern or past warships. BD armory and expansions have the weapons down pat, but for the ship side, this is pretty much it. That being said, Fengist (correct me if I'm wrong) has also stated he's more or less sticking to civilian ships, but with his collab with Acea and NAS, we'll see how that goes

As for the water, I have no idea where they got the origional water coding, but hopefully they don't change whatever water sim they put in. Maybe someone can ask (me probably) at the next squadcast.

Well, we all know they didn't pull that code out of thin air because if they had, it would work a lot better than it does.

will you make more navy based parts? also, would it be possible to make hulls that float without having to be practically indestructible?

Well, my hulls are very destructible. I have the crash tolerances at 70 for most all parts. It's just a matter of how silly you get with them. As for military parts....

I spent over 12 years in the military. I've seen my share, more than my share. KSP is not a military game and I don't think Squad has in plans on making it so. That being said, I know there's tons of pyros out there that can't even play checkers without high explosives.

My goals with these parts are purely civilian and exploration oriented. That's the game's selling point so I'm sticking with it. There's tons of other games out there where you can blow things up. Why people have to turn KSP into a war game when THERE ARE NO ENEMIES.... is beyond me. Checkers, I assume. So, if you mean, am I going to make depth charges, CWIS, Sea Sparrow's, Pom Pom's, Hedgehog's, Long Lance, Posedion's, Polaris or any other such... the answer is no.

At the most... and I mean the very most... I might paint the hulls grey and give you the option of downloading those as a separate package. I'm not even going to mess with military superstructure. I have too many other civilian things on my table to focus on military hardware. Sorry. In the future, who knows... I am entitled to change my mind.

More succinct version of my post a few pages back:

- Can engines be made non-air driven by aggressively curtailing their performance curves, such that their thrust hits zero as soon as they reach >0m altitude?

- If that untidy broken stuff (there for a damage mod that never was) on the underside of the Boat Parts landing deck can be removed, that'd be great.

- Dice had a destroyer hull quite a while ago (>1 year), even showed it off on YouTube. Will that finally see light of day?

Well, my hulls are very destructible. I have the crash tolerances at 70 for most all parts. It's just a matter of how silly you get with them. As for military parts....

I spent over 12 years in the military. I've seen my share, more than my share. KSP is not a military game and I don't think Squad has in plans on making it so. That being said, I know there's tons of pyros out there that can't even play checkers without high explosives.

My goals with these parts are purely civilian and exploration oriented. That's the game's selling point so I'm sticking with it. There's tons of other games out there where you can blow things up. Why people have to turn KSP into a war game when THERE ARE NO ENEMIES.... is beyond me. Checkers, I assume. So, if you mean, am I going to make depth charges, CWIS, Sea Sparrow's, Pom Pom's, Hedgehog's, Long Lance, Posedion's, Polaris or any other such... the answer is no.

At the most... and I mean the very most... I might paint the hulls grey and give you the option of downloading those as a separate package. I'm not even going to mess with military superstructure. I have too many other civilian things on my table to focus on military hardware. Sorry. In the future, who knows... I am entitled to change my mind.

Just gotta say that I respect the hell out of this reasoning right here, and would say that if naval parts are so important, mod it yourself (obviously not yourself in reference to fengist here). Also, there are other modders out there who might come along and make (with permission hopefully), naval styled parts relying on the base Maritime Pack code. Anyhow, totally respect your decision and I'm looking forward to whatever's coming next

Ummm no. First, it's not in the stock game and I'm not up to putting a particle effect on engines. And second, my boats are more industrial than speed.
And yet I've been able to do Mach 1 and above in them. :P

Also see my attempt at breaking the sound barrier, The only parts to survive was most of the hull.

Just gotta say that I respect the hell out of this reasoning right here, and would say that if naval parts are so important, mod it yourself (obviously not yourself in reference to fengist here). Also, there are other modders out there who might come along and make (with permission hopefully), naval styled parts relying on the base Maritime Pack code. Anyhow, totally respect your decision and I'm looking forward to whatever's coming next

Thanks dude. I kinda have to draw the line somewhere otherwise I'll end up like Dice and give up because I stopped doing what I wanted and started doing what everyone else wanted. I love suggestions and ideas, please keep them coming. But sometimes, the answer is no.

I attempted to download this so I could build aircraft carriers, but it appears that the download is broken and the files are not working.

I'm not sure what the problem is you're having. I just downloaded it with no problem and all the files are there.

I attempted to download this so I could build aircraft carriers, but it appears that the download is broken and the files are not working.
I'm not sure what the problem is you're having. I just downloaded it with no problem and all the files are there.

I think this is what i had. It only gave me the clipper hulls and the gangway, then i downloaded it from curse with no issues.

I think this is what i had. It only gave me the clipper hulls and the gangway, then i downloaded it from curse with no issues.

That's really odd because the .zip on my server is uploaded first and then I upload the same .zip to Kerbalstuff and Curse.

Why people have to turn KSP into a war game when THERE ARE NO ENEMIES.... is beyond me..

I cannot speak for others but in my personal experience I find making military vehicles in KSP to be fun since there are really no other games that allow you this level of customization, From the Depths is pretty good but it is complicated and can be rather frustrating. Military vehicles specifically need to be constantly improved to counter the competition, using things like the custom BD armory contracts (forgot the name) really adds in that need to improve and redesign. I would honestly prefer that this pack remains civilian only anyways so that the scope of content does not become to large and end up in the same situation as b9. Like I said though, just my opinion.

tl:dr Custom vehicles are cool.

Re: Kerbal militarisation, I only took an interest when AI got involved. Once BDA AI works on surface vehicles too, it could be fascinating to see the permutations.

As Boat Parts will not be developed any further (aside from a few aesthetic touches, which will be appreciated), it might be worth seeing if someone wants to do a mod extension for it? I could try a new deck - it is, after all, a flattened cuboid, how hard can that be to model?

There's a number of new advances in the game (e.g. cargo bays, ISRU, EPL, allista's Hangar mod, IR, KIS) which could extend what modular parts could be added to it. I'd like to make a completely self-sufficient floating exploration base.

If it's too small... Use tweakscale...this is a damn fine mod. and he does a great job considering it's for free!, You have my support fengist! three cheers to this great author.

((though the gray parts kind of had me excited))

if it's too small... Use tweakscale...this is a damn fine mod. And he does a great job considering it's for free!, you have my support fengist! Three cheers to this great author.

((though the gray parts kind of had me excited))

Hip Hip, Horay! Hip Hip, Horay! Hip Hip, Horay!

;)