The sorry state of the U.S. space program.. or how the mighty have fallen.

Aethon

Well...I guess I will put my hope in JAXA and ESA then. Makes me really sad that despite all the recent achievements in space science, they still get a cut like this.

Id rather put bets on ISRO and CNSA, if the Chinese stop all the secrecy stuff.

Id rather put bets on ISRO and CNSA, if the Chinese stop all the secrecy stuff.

There isn't that much secrecy. The problem is that western media doesn't relay much of what's happening in China.

Had the Saturn I/Ib shared the same engine as Thor (it didn't), it wouldn't even have been able to get off the ground. (Thor's engines produced about 2/3rds the thrust of the H-1.)

Actually, the BM-3 used on Thor did become the H-1, however, Thor never used the H-1. It did, however, use the RS-27 later on, which is a modified H-1. RS-27As are flown on Delta IIs now.

...that the general public knows about.

With very rare exceptions, every launch done these days is a fairly public affair. When the X37B went back up, ground observers found it and its orbit within weeks. A manned capsule would be even easier to spot due to the solar panels being deployed

I'm not sure how to keep this politically correct

Its not just NASA, there are those that wish to fund only the military and their own salaries and health insurance and nothing else.

Its not just NASA, there are those that wish to fund only the military and their own salaries and health insurance and nothing else.

And it isn't unique to America either. Our government in Canada has muzzled all scientists who are federally funded. They aren't allowed to speak to the media without first having their responses vetted by the party to ensure they don't contradict party ideology.

Science Under Seige - Part 1

Science Under Seige - Part 2

Science Under Seige - Part 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.