Squad 'stealing' mod content?

SergeantBlueforce

Recently in a few places I've been seeing people claiming that Squad has used parts and other content from mods in official releases without consent or credit for the mod authors; including a particularily damning review on Steam complaining of this (among other things) by a user claiming to have owned the game since 0.16.

I haven't been keeping track of updates much since about 0.24, but I do remember that squad implemented parts from Spaceplane Plus with both full credit and permission of the author.

Can someone clarify this?

Looking at the comments of the review should tell you everything you need to know.

Also, the new wings are completely different from B9 and 64 bit is not really supported unless you use Linux.

I find it interesting that despite such a damning review, that user has apparently logged several thousand hours in-game, with almost 40 hours just from the past two weeks. That's an awful lot for a game they supposedly "don't recommend" and outwardly appear to hate.

For the longest time they sworn 64bit was impossible because they would have to rebuild the entire game. A modder makes a 64bit mod, and OOOH 1 MONTH LATER GUESS WHAT! Kerbal supports 64bit!!! (That modders mod, is now dead and doesn't get any updates or downloads, nor was he given credit)

Wow, just wow, so renaming the 64bit binary file from the Unity engine is now a "mod" ? It's literally taking the compiled game engine binary file from any exported Unity project, renaming it "KSP.exe" and putting it in the KSP folder!

There is literally nothing to update!

Squad didn't offer 64bit because it was unreliable, and it still is even with the binary people are getting for themselves, sure most stuff works but career is broken, and because the Unity4x editor is 32bit it can't be debugged!

Calling that a "mod" or "stealing" is absolutely hilarious and a blatant screaming lie.

Go ahead and make your own x64 executable, just download Unity, export a demo project to Windows 64bit, rename the exe to KSP.exe and go, well done, now you are a modder and Squad can steal your hard work when they release KSP on Unity5 with x64 support

That guys claim is complete and utter bilge.

Yeah, the thing about stealing mods is kind of dumb. The 64-bit Windows mod hack still works, as far as I know, and they only started to release 64-bit Ksp it because there was such enthusiasm from the community about the hack. They could have released the 64 bit version any time they wanted (it's literally a matter changing one setting in Unity, I think), but, for some people, it would have been riddled with bugs to the point of near-unplayability.

I only came here to see a rant about not crediting mod authors... that's not what I got...

He clearly doesn't realise that you don't HAVE to state that you have permission from the author to the general public, you just need that permission, unless the author themselves states that you need to state it to the general public, etc, etc. And the biggest b*llsh1t review award goes to.... Seriously, who has not reported it yet? The amount of misleading and false information in that review, jeesus Christ (sorry for any Christians out there, I'm an Atheist) + reported

Recently in a few places I've been seeing people claiming that Squad has used parts and other content from mods in official releases without consent or credit for the mod authors; including a particularily damning review on Steam complaining of this (among other things) by a user claiming to have owned the game since 0.16.

I haven't been keeping track of updates much since about 0.24, but I do remember that squad implemented parts from Spaceplane Plus with both full credit and permission of the author.

Can someone clarify this?

The guy is clearly mistaken.. Most of these modders were hired by squad themselves or in some cases they got permission.

I recommend anyone who read that crappy review read the comments below it. Evidently some people don't understand the point of early access, to continually test the game and get new ideas. Squad has been great in contacting mod authors to collaborate rather than just requesting material or even worse, just integrating the mod.

I only came here to see a rant about not crediting mod authors... that's not what I got...

He clearly doesn't realise that you don't HAVE to state that you have permission from the author to the general public, you just need that permission, unless the author themselves states that you need to state it to the general public, etc, etc. And the biggest b*llsh1t review award goes to.... Seriously, who has not reported it yet? The amount of misleading and false information in that review, [[For Kraken's Sake!]]. + reported

Not to mention that they did publicly and in-game, with the credits, give credit to the mod authors.

Pure speculation, but I think the reviewer got really really mad at KSP due to a ragequit of some kind and decided to use the reviews to vent. Even with misguided and even blatantly false information.

So, yeah, no. Squad is not stealing mod content, OP.

Edited by GregroxMun

Does a Mod creator actually own the idea for the mod.

If a person who creates a mod takes suggestions from players using the mod do those players also have rights to the mod.

And sense a game designer decides if they want there game to be modded in the first place do they have a share in any mod created for there platform.

I say having your mod idea put into the game is the ultimate compliment.

Haha I find this quite funny because I said they would integrate a bunch of modder stuff 8 months ago:

I'm willing to bet that FAR, NEAR and/or DRE will be included in 0.90 to improve the aero because Squad likes to use other people's hard work to improve their game instead of doing it themselves.

LINKY : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97039-Good-news-everyone%21-KSP-enters-Beta-version-What-you-like-the-most-what-you-don-t?p=1483068&viewfull=1#post1483068

Mind you I was one version off, but still happened like I said it would. I wouldn't call it stealing though. I would call it: Squad sitting back and playing their game and making 3d animated movie clips and twitch videos of themselves playing KSP while the community of modders is hard at work making features for their game which they will implement in a future release if people like it.

Show proof KSP 1.0 uses any FAR or NEAR code, go on, I'm waiting.

Players wanted aero updated, they got it, claiming that Squad used an existing mod is absolute crap, sorry, as you should be aware that FAR had to be remade to work in 1.0

I come to the forum for fun in my free-time. After reading that review I feel like I just had to mark a student's essay. I was giving the reviewer the benefit of the doubt until I saw this:

"I do not want to sound egotistical but ..."

And then my brain could only think of this:

“*The best way to describe Mr. Windling would be like this: You are at a meeting. You'd like to be away early. So would everyone else. There really isn't very much to discuss, anyway. And just as everyone can see Any Other Business coming over the horizon and is putting their papers neatly together, a voice says "If I can raise a minor matter, Mr. Chairman..." and with a horrible wooden feeling in your stomach you know, now, that the evening will go on for twice as long with much referring back to the minutes of earlier meetings. The man who has just said that, and is now sitting there with a smug smile of dedication to the committee process, is as near Mr. Windling as makes no difference. And something that distinguishes the Mr. Windlings of the universe is the term "in my humble opinion," which they think adds weight to their statements rather than indicating, in reality, "these are the mean little views of someone with the social grace of duckweed".â€Â

― Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Haha I find this quite funny because I said they would integrate a bunch of modder stuff 8 months ago:

LINKY : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97039-Good-news-everyone%21-KSP-enters-Beta-version-What-you-like-the-most-what-you-don-t?p=1483068&viewfull=1#post1483068

Mind you I was one version off, but still happened like I said it would. I wouldn't call it stealing though. I would call it: Squad sitting back and playing their game and making 3d animated movie clips and twitch videos of themselves playing KSP while the community of modders is hard at work making features for their game which they will implement in a future release if people like it.

So basically, by this line of thought, anything that any modder ever made up at any time that KSP has been available for play is no longer available for inclusion in the stock game...

Well of course re-entry heat and working aerodynamics are very weird and unique features to implement in a game about space flight... Until there's code that shows they copied stuff this line of thought is completely ridiculous. AFAIK the implementation of aero in 1.0 differs a lot from the way FAR used to handle it with pre 1.0 stock...

I'd be willing to bet that even if Squad did or want to steal a mod, they're perfectly in their right to do so. A lot of games have some kind of clause in the ToA and EULA that state anything created with or for this game in some way belongs to the creators of the game or something. Not that Squad would need to resort to such methods. From what I understand, most folks would be all too happy to have their creative content released into the full version of the game. It's like getting a shout-out for your own work and can open doors to real career opportunities.

I'd be willing to bet that even if Squad did or want to steal a mod, they're perfectly in their right to do so. A lot of games have some kind of clause in the ToA and EULA that state anything created with or for this game in some way belongs to the creators of the game or something. Not that Squad would need to resort to such methods. From what I understand, most folks would be all too happy to have their creative content released into the full version of the game. It's like getting a shout-out for your own work and can open doors to real career opportunities.

Their right to steal the mod is defined by the mod's license. And we must remember, Squad doesn't hate us at all, they don't want to steal from us, they are just trying to make a good space video game in Mexico.

Their right to steal the mod is defined by the mod's license. And we must remember, Squad doesn't hate us at all, they don't want to steal from us, they are just trying to make a good space video game in Mexico.

Lmao exactly xD To be honest, and without a complete knowledge of Squad's history, my first impression of them is that they are some of the less money-grubbing video game tycoons out there, and they seem to quite value the players opinions.

Show proof KSP 1.0 uses any FAR or NEAR code, go on, I'm waiting.

Players wanted aero updated, they got it, claiming that Squad used an existing mod is absolute crap, sorry, as you should be aware that FAR had to be remade to work in 1.0

Yeah ok, well I should have clarified that I dont mean the code itself, but the idea of it as a feature.