Kerbodyne Plus Development Thread

On 1/17/2016 at 11:06 PM, DangerouslyDave said:

Those landing legs are fantastic! The lights are a great touch, too. I'd love to see these in action during a night descent.

Me too but @Bonus Eventus could you demonstrate it on a Mun habitation lander landing near a Mun base with a bunch of eight Vector engines?

Edited by AJTheMighty

@Bonus Eventus I just need to check if there's any progress on this mod. Also, here's a few more suggestions.

T404 science laboratory with immense data storage and its own integrated deployable communications dish

2.5m airlock with two individually toggleable doors, one on the inside and one on the outside sort of like the Quest airlock

T404 NTR with its own LiquidFuel storage

Try and see what u can do with these three, alright?

1 hour ago, Bonus Eventus said:

@Bonus Eventus Congrats on the official release of this mod! But there are a few parts missing;

The 3.75m ion engine

The T404 service module

T404 SAS module

T404 hollow hub

And the NRAX reactor

34 minutes ago, AJTheMighty said:

@Bonus Eventus Congrats on the official release of this mod! But there are a few parts missing;

The 3.75m ion engine

The T404 service module

T404 SAS module

T404 hollow hub

And the NRAX reactor

This was mentioned in the releaseNotes.txt but I'll repeat it here. The experimental parts like the ion engines are in the experimental dev build found here: https://github.com/bonus-eventus/KerbodynePlusDev

That repository is for what essentially will be nightly builds. My plan is to now update very often to the dev repo, and as parts are refined push updates to the stable release repos.

Note: the NRAX is not in either repo, because it has not been compiled yet. The T404 hub + sas models are broken because I changed the bulkhead profile once again to address a bug with scaling nodes that couldn't easily be fixed unless I remodeled the part to have exact dimensions (like 7.5x7.5). The good news is, now everything works, and are easy to remake. In the next few days I'll be updating often. In fact, tomorrow morning I'll have published dev v 1.02

mkUfE1S.jpg

New Dev V1.02 is out! 

https://github.com/bonus-eventus/KerbodynePlusDev/releases

Release Notes:

• Added new part descriptions for all of the T404 parts.
  • Added new part, T404 E-2 Modular Truss (similar to the T404 A-2 except it comes with 4 radially attached LFO tanks).
  • Added new resources to all T404 parts.
  • Balanced T404 mass and cost variables.
  • Fixed a scaling bug with the XL-6 Landing Strut.

Edited by Bonus Eventus
additional info

4 hours ago, kaue4arp10 said:

I was going to suggest some spaceplane parts, but it seems like those huge rocket parts might be enough to put whole space stations in orbit, good work with this mod!

It's interesting that you mention spaceplanes, because I had some ideas for small spaceplane parts. Development ATM seems to be naturally hapening in phases, so I'm just going with it, but, I'm interested in eventually doing a line of smallish parts.

I really love this mod; Ive already downloaded it and experimented with it, and MY GOD IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!1!!!

Btw since the mods officially released, you could in face change the name of this thread to this since it'd make more sense ;)

"Kerbodyne Plus Dev Thread"

And I have some more suggestions for you that I've kept for the duration of this month:

T404 Docking Port (it has integrated lights for docking in the dark and is hollow so your Kerbonauts can scamper around those vast T404 stations of yours.)

X-95 "Colossus" NTR (T404 nuclear thermal rocket, has a nozzle about 3.75m wide and has four integrated metal radiators for dissipating heat)

And here's my suggestion for the T404 Data Server's design it'd look like a skeletal, titanic amalgamation of four data storage components and two  inside a T404 frame. Yeah I know that sounds kinda far-fetched :lol: 

Also I think the NRAX converter, the ion engines, T404 SAS module, T404 service bay and T404 modular hub are ready to be added in le next update

Edited by AJTheMighty

Kerbodyne Plus Dev 1.03

If you want a release candidate check for stable releases here link

This is not a release candidate. It will break future saves!

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f46

Notes:

• Added new part, T202 A-1 (half size of the T404 A-1 and not hollow)
  • Added new part, T202 A-2 (half size of the T404 A-2 and not hollow)
  • Added new part, T404 d-1 (surface attach truss)
  • Added new part, T404 d-2 (surface attach truss)
  • Added new part, T404 to T202 Adapter
  • Added new part, T404 Structural Hub

Downloads

3 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Kerbodyne Plus Dev 1.03

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f46

Notes:

• Added new part, T202 A-1 (half size of the T404 A-1 and not hollow)
  • Added new part, T202 A-2 (half size of the T404 A-2 and not hollow)
  • Added new part, T404 d-1 (surface attach truss)
  • Added new part, T404 d-2 (surface attach truss)
  • Added new part, T404 to T202 Adapter
  • Added new part, T404 Structural Hub

Downloads

This is really cool! I think the surface attachable T404 halves would be good for making A Space Odyssey-esque stations, but could you probably fix the attachment on the smaller truss? Also could you show a few WIP shots of the parts I suggested two comments ago? :confused:

50 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@Bonus Eventus: Do you plan on adding anymore crew parts?

I'm playing around with the idea of adding a 3.75m capsule that can hold 7 kerbals. What I want to do is make a kind of Assent vehicle that works with the T404 service module and the eventual t404 2nd stage engine. After I'm done with most of these structural parts the attention will go to T404 NRAX and the 3.75m ion engine cluster. The cluster is getting a redesign because of the new visual direction of the rest of the parts.

23 hours ago, AJTheMighty said:

This is really cool! I think the surface attachable T404 halves would be good for making A Space Odyssey-esque stations, but could you probably fix the attachment on the smaller truss? Also could you show a few WIP shots of the parts I suggested two comments ago? :confused:

AJ, I looked at the smaller truss again, but didn't see anything unusual. Can you elaborate on the problem please?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Just a stupid typo caused the attachment node to have a weird angle.

Edited by Bonus Eventus
additional info

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f43

Notes:

• Added new part, T404 Penta Adapter
  • Added new part, ST1-A 15M Structural Truss
  • Fixed attachment bug in the part T404 d-2
  • Changed T404 d-1 to d-2 and d-2 to d-3 (confusing, I know, but it helps with continuity to keep parts called x-1 3.75m and x-2 7.5m, etc)
  • Changed releaseNotes.tx to releaseNotes.md

Downloads

Source code (zip)
Source code (tar.gz)

EDIT ____________________________________________________________________

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f50

Notes:

• This is only a minor update
  • Added new part, T404 Tri Adapter
  • Made adjustments to T404 Penta Adapter

Downloads

Edited by Bonus Eventus
additional info

Been playing around a bit with the release (not the dev) and have a couple ideas/comments:

First off, I'd really like a bulkhead/endcap.  Just a flat part that gives an end (and maybe a light - if you want to get fancy) for the trusses, so you can close them off.  Also, the side panel is hard to attach to the open truss - is there a way to make that easier?  (I'm thinking a dedicated attach node, so we aren't trying to adjust a surface attach.)

On a wishlist is a cargo bay with a door.  (My current use would be with a side door - but I can see an end door would be nice too.  Actually, I can see in my head an end clamshell door that could do both uses...)  Just wishlist - the open truss and side panels allow much of the same types of use.

Last two are minor cleanup things: You have things listed as 'size3' - that's the 3.75m size.  That's a bit smaller than these.  ;)  I'm not sure whether size 4 or 5 would be better - you'll know the scale better, but fixing it would help those like me who use FilterExtensions find them easier.  Also, it'd be nice to have a Connected Living Spaces config - at the moment the only piece it really makes a difference to is the size adapter (which I think should be passable) but I'm expecting you'll want more in other pieces as you make them.  (I see several in this thread that probably should have a config as well.)

A beautiful mod by the way - I'm just starting playing around with it, and I'm not sure yet what I'll do with it, but it gives me ideas... 

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

Been playing around a bit with the release (not the dev) and have a couple ideas/comments:

First off, I'd really like a bulkhead/endcap.  Just a flat part that gives an end (and maybe a light - if you want to get fancy) for the trusses, so you can close them off.  Also, the side panel is hard to attach to the open truss - is there a way to make that easier?  (I'm thinking a dedicated attach node, so we aren't trying to adjust a surface attach.)

On a wishlist is a cargo bay with a door.  (My current use would be with a side door - but I can see an end door would be nice too.  Actually, I can see in my head an end clamshell door that could do both uses...)  Just wishlist - the open truss and side panels allow much of the same types of use.

Last two are minor cleanup things: You have things listed as 'size3' - that's the 3.75m size.  That's a bit smaller than these.  ;)  I'm not sure whether size 4 or 5 would be better - you'll know the scale better, but fixing it would help those like me who use FilterExtensions find them easier.  Also, it'd be nice to have a Connected Living Spaces config - at the moment the only piece it really makes a difference to is the size adapter (which I think should be passable) but I'm expecting you'll want more in other pieces as you make them.  (I see several in this thread that probably should have a config as well.)

A beautiful mod by the way - I'm just starting playing around with it, and I'm not sure yet what I'll do with it, but it gives me ideas... 

Hello DStaal, the bulkhead/endcap is coming in (probably) the next experimental release. As to the bulkhead profiles I went with the size3 when they're actually size5 nodes because I didn't know much about customizing bulkheads. However, I just last night infact, found a great thread with a bunch of info on how they work. Basically I would need to write a script to give the parts their own custom icons, but other than that I can change the bulkhead names to anything I want and then they can be sorted that way. My plan for the T404 parts is to list them as T404 and the T402 parts as T402, etc. I'm looking into writing a script that can inject the icons, it looks pretty simple, I'll be experimenting with that soon. Until then the next stable release (thats V1.1) will have the new bulkheads added to the cfgs at least. 

*Side Note* I finally figured out the ins and outs of the ever cryptic drag cubes. And will release the updated cfgs soon. Where this will make the most impact is with parts with odd shapes, like the hollow T404s. 

Thank you for the kind words and the feedback!

Alright, I've suggested an inflatable centrifuge but it sounds a little too Lifesupport-ish so I've had this idea for a more Kerbodyne Plus-ish centrifuge

How about a non-IR foldable centrifuge habitat? I imagine it to have two sections shaped like a 1/6th of a donut that starts out 3.75m in diameter and folds out to 10m, and they each have no windows. Just for a little realism thered be a counterrotating flywheel Oh and do the slow animation so you feel the scale, and it'd rotate just for fun, sounds cool? :) 

Also I think the new NRAX converter should be inside a T404 skeletal frame for compactness. And great job with this wonderful mod I hope you can work on it into the distant future :D 

bOEf5cS.png?2

I'm building a javascript framework for CFG files. Just finished the php interpreter. That was the most regex I think I've ever done, I can actually read it now...If all goes well I'll upload this to github. So far so good. the JSON from the interpreter validates. The next step is to import the json through jquery and import the cfg variables into the form fields. Did I say framework? Well, there is also a kind of cdn that the framework powers allowing you to edit cfg files in a browser. However, this will also allow you to save an entire mod folder worth of cfgs to one central project file (JSON) which you can then export. Why is this cool? Because you can assign custom global variables. It's kind of like CSS for CFG files. I also plan to add built in equations you can add to determin mass or whatever you want. We'll see how far I get on the first release.

Just now, Bonus Eventus said:

bOEf5cS.png?2

I'm building a javascript framework for CFG files. Just finished the php interpreter. That was the most regex I think I've ever done, I can actually read it now...If all goes well I'll upload this to github. So far so good. the JSON from the interpreter validates. The next step is to import the json through jquery and import the cfg variables into the form fields. Did I say framework? Well, there is also a kind of cdn that the framework powers allowing you to edit cfg files in a browser. However, this will also allow you to save an entire mod folder worth of cfgs to one central project file (JSON) which you can then export. Why is this cool? Because you can assign custom global variables. It's kind of like CSS for CFG files. I also plan to add built in equations you can add to determin mass or whatever you want. We'll see how far I get on the first release.

Ooh interesting, could you give me a link to a tutorial on how to do that?

Also it looks like the NRAX converter's gonna be in the next release judging by that :)

On 1/30/2016 at 0:09 AM, AJTheMighty said:

Alright, I've suggested an inflatable centrifuge but it sounds a little too Lifesupport-ish so I've had this idea for a more Kerbodyne Plus-ish centrifuge

How about a non-IR foldable centrifuge habitat? I imagine it to have two sections shaped like a 1/6th of a donut that starts out 3.75m in diameter and folds out to 10m, and they each have no windows. Just for a little realism thered be a counterrotating flywheel Oh and do the slow animation so you feel the scale, and it'd rotate just for fun, sounds cool? :) 

Also I think the new NRAX converter should be inside a T404 skeletal frame for compactness. And great job with this wonderful mod I hope you can work on it into the distant future :D 

Hey AJ, I'm a little confused, you mean a tutorial on how to build a javascript framework and php interpreter?

2 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Hey AJ, I'm a little confused, you mean a tutorial on how to build a javascript framework and php interpreter?

Naw, I meant a tutorial on how to program like how you did it almost from scratch ;)

Also, how's the foldable centrifuge coming along? By centrifuge, I mean this; http://imgur.com/gallery/tbUIPCL

You've been working on it, haven't you?

Edited by AJTheMighty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.