Kerbodyne Plus Development Thread

4 hours ago, cy4n said:

Can't wait for the 1.05 update! EDIT:  As if we needed more solar power... Oh yes, can you update the animation so each side of it folds to the middle? That would make it much easier to fit it into fairings.  (Also, will the Leviathan structural truss be updated too?)

I'll see what I can do, but every upgrade adds hours to 1.05's release (and also 1.1), however that's a great Idea!

Side note, ran into problems last night with the truss. Because of the shader I was using (alpha cutoff) and the fact that I doubled the length of the truss, it is now practically invisible. I was unsure if this would happen, but it did. Sorry everyone, going to have to rework the truss. I made a model last night that seemed to work, and it made animating the truss much easier when I wasn't concerned with polygon reduction. God I love KSP 1.1! I'll be working hard to night, hopefully I won't have anymore unforeseen issues.

5 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

I'll see what I can do, but every upgrade adds hours to 1.05's release (and also 1.1), however that's a great Idea!

Side note, ran into problems last night with the truss. Because of the shader I was using (alpha cutoff) and the fact that I doubled the length of the truss, it is now practically invisible. I was unsure if this would happen, but it did. Sorry everyone, going to have to rework the truss. I made a model last night that seemed to work, and it made animating the truss much easier when I wasn't concerned with polygon reduction. God I love KSP 1.1! I'll be working hard to night, hopefully I won't have anymore unforeseen issues.

Really really REALLY can't wait for v1.05, plus I always anticipate a new reply to this thread and every time it's by you I squeal with more anticipation - not literally - but BTW, could you predict v.1.05's release date? And please do work your best and hardest on this wonderful mod. :)

11 hours ago, cy4n said:

Can't wait for the 1.05 update! EDIT:  As if we needed more solar power... Oh yes, can you update the animation so each side of it folds to the middle? That would make it much easier to fit it into fairings.  (Also, will the Leviathan structural truss be updated too?)

At lunch I did some thinking about the solar panels, and how I would approach animating the model as it is to make it fold similarly to this video from wikipedia.

P3-P4_Truss_Unfolding.ogg

I'm doubtful that I can do this without remodeling the whole design. The problem is in how I set up the rigging for the solar cells. There are 44 individual panels for each row of cells. 88 total. I rigged both rows of cells at the same time, by hand. That's too much work to get done before 1.05, not even sure I can squeeze it in to 1.1, however I was able to get the model with the new truss working properly before bed last night and this version is definitely as good as the last if not better.

Another issue is determining the amount of ec per second. If we say that 1ec per second = 1kw ( @NathanKell ), then 100 ec per second is 10kw more than all of the iss solar panels output combined. It should be more like 22.5kw or 22.5 ec, and that's without dinging it for being 60 percent of the size. Which is counter intuitive, seeing as I'd be doubling the size and cutting the output down by more than 1/4. The Gigantor XL panels have a rate of 24 ec per second, and that's not changing any time soon. So if we ignore 1ec per second = 1kw and instead base if off of the surface area as a multiplier on ec (my math sucks) I'd guess it would be over 200 ec per second easily. I'm inclined to just keep it at 100 ec per second. Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

At lunch I did some thinking about the solar panels, and how I would approach animating the model as it is to make it fold similarly to this video from wikipedia.

P3-P4_Truss_Unfolding.ogg

I'm doubtful that I can do this without remodeling the whole design. The problem is in how I set up the rigging for the solar cells. There are 44 individual panels for each row of cells. 88 total. I rigged both rows of cells at the same time, by hand. That's too much work to get done before 1.05, not even sure I can squeeze it in to 1.1, however I was able to get the model with the new truss working properly before bed last night and this version is definitely as good as the last if not better.

Another issue is determining the amount of ec per second. If we say that 1ec per second = 1kw ( @NathanKell ), then 100 ec per second is 10kw more than all of the iss solar panels output combined. It should be more like 22.5kw or 22.5 ec, and that's without dinging it for being 60 percent of the size. Which is counter intuitive, seeing as I'd be doubling the size and cutting the output down by more than 1/4. The Gigantor XL panels have a rate of 24 ec per second, and that's not changing any time soon. So if we ignore 1ec per second = 1kw and instead base if off of the surface area as a multiplier on ec (my math sucks) I'd guess it would be over 200 ec per second easily. I'm inclined to just keep it at 100 ec per second. Any thoughts?

@Bonus Eventus I agree, you should really keep the Solar Wing's bigger design - and keep the animation same. I feel like the bigger size would be perfect for having  200+ EC per second.

Oh, and what does the new truss look like? I really really look forward to when this upd8's.

@Table @cy4n Give Mr. Bonus as many part suggestions as possible to help this legendary mod gain 'rep!

Edited by AJTheMighty

5 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

HJCvjaO.png?1

New 7.5m decoupler

Holy cow that looks awesome!

EDIT: Will it have built-in rocket boosters (un-turnoffable) to help separate stages more quickly? Wether you like it or not, why not take my idea?

Edited by AJTheMighty

now the large landing gear is exploding constantly, although I don't blame it. It's being forced to carry over a 1000 tons :D I'm hoping this is the last bug I have to get to. Looks like the update will be out Friday. Sorry for the delays!

4 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

now the large landing gear is exploding constantly, although I don't blame it. It's being forced to carry over a 1000 tons :D I'm hoping this is the last bug I have to get to. Looks like the update will be out Friday. Sorry for the delays!

OH FUDGE YES I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!11!!!111!!!ONEONE!!!!!111ELEVENTYONE1111

@AJTheMighty You're losing your mind in the best way.

So, I figured out what the problem was with the landing legs, applied a liberal amount of hackery, and now they work perfectly. Uncovered a bunch of weird edge case stuff while trying to figure this out. Kinda painful, but I know a lot more about 1.1 which I needed to do anyway before K+ 1.1 can be finished. So, only thing left to do at this point is another part for T202 and one surprise that will make payloads easier. Night dev peeps.

6 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

K+

You... You used my acronym! The Cy4n-ing is at hand!

Also, 1.1 COMES OUT TODAY YAY 1.1 11.11 1.1.1.HOORAY.111 1111! 1T'S FINALLY HERE! K+ 111.11.1! ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVENTY ONE PO1NT ONETEEN AND ONE!1!1!!!K!1!11!!11!11+1!!11!!+K!!1!1!!1!!!!!1!!!1K+111!!!

EDIT: I mean 1.05.

6 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

So, only thing left to do at this point is another part for T202 and one surprise that will make payloads easier.

I'm guessing the suprise is either a 7.5m fairing or extra attach nodes on the insides of the T404 cargo bays.

Edited by Osmium
Posts merged for some reason

2 hours ago, cy4n said:

You... You used my acronym! The Cy4n-ing is at hand!

Also, 1.1 COMES OUT TODAY YAY 1.1 11.11 1.1.1.HOORAY.111 1111! 1T'S FINALLY HERE! K+ 111.11.1! ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVENTY ONE PO1NT ONETEEN AND ONE!1!1!!!K!1!11!!11!11+1!!11!!+K!!1!1!!1!!!!!1!!!1K+111!!!

I'm guessing the suprise is either a 7.5m fairing or extra attach nodes on the insides of the T404 cargo bays.

Just to be clear, 1.05 is coming out to day. 1.1 is weeks away. That's why I've tried to pack some extras into 1.05 :D

37 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

1.1 is weeks away.

Not true! They released the Steam beta last week week or so, and that's set to last about 2 weeks. I'd give it next week or so.

But I'm pretty sure we can get in trouble for discussing that outside of the proper thread, so I'll leave it. :P

24 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Not true! They released the Steam beta last week week or so, and that's set to last about 2 weeks. I'd give it next week or so.

But I'm pretty sure we can get in trouble for discussing that outside of the proper thread, so I'll leave it. :P

He's talking about K+ v1.1, and 1.05's coming out today with extra stuff like parts from the development screenshots

@Bonus Eventus Any estimated release time today? Here in Clayton CA it's afternoon - it's 4:45

BTW is the giant radial decoupler gonna be in 1.05? And is that "easy payload" thing gonna be a T404 cargo bay or a 7.5m fairing base? Oh, and why not add a T202 deployable communication antenna?

Edited by AJTheMighty

15 minutes ago, AJTheMighty said:

@Bonus Eventus Any estimated release time today? Here in Clayton CA it's afternoon - it's 4:45

BTW is the giant radial decoupler gonna be in 1.05? And is that "easy payload" thing gonna be a T404 cargo bay or a 7.5m fairing base? Oh, and why not add a T202 deployable communication antenna?

Are you asking me to quickly build a rushed comm antenna and include it in the update? ;)

Just now, Bonus Eventus said:

Are you asking me to quickly build a rushed comm antenna and include it in the update? ;)

Oh, sure 9000+, and why?
CUZ I CAN!

(you can rework the final model of the T202 deployable high gain antenna in a dev update)

2 hours ago, AJTheMighty said:

Oh, sure 9000+, and why?
CUZ I CAN!

(you can rework the final model of the T202 deployable high gain antenna in a dev update)

I liked your idea for adding small rockets to the radial decoupler, BTW. I just can't get to it now.

15 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

I liked your idea for adding small rockets to the radial decoupler, BTW. I just can't get to it now.

Thanks! BUT, the release's supposed to come out 2night, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Maybe the decouplers could be added in v1.1 WITH the separating rockets like I suggested.

2 hours ago, AJTheMighty said:

Thanks! BUT, the release's supposed to come out 2night, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Maybe the decouplers could be added in v1.1 WITH the separating rockets like I suggested.

give me about 15 minutes to update the docs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.