Kerbodyne Plus Development Thread

2 hours ago, AJTheMighty said:

This is gorgeous! I think you could model the capacitor bay after this one from the WIP ion engine model collection: 4ZY6Wpm.png?1

Oh, and I suggest its diameter to be 2.5m for easy clustering for a much higher DV - but you'd need more electrical storage and more solar panels, and lastly the engine's purple glowing part and exhaust could change color from gray to blue to blue-purple to purple depending on how much power it's given - with a longer exhaust trail - and keep my idea in mind - and inevitably use it! 

Trying out different options ATM. This one was an experiment with radiators. It's OK, but I realized it's probably not a great design because 1) detail level is way to high - 2) radiators would endup radiating into each other too much.

I say that, but it's not like I couldn't alter the design of the radiators, and retopo the model to reduce the geo.

npWsvPS.jpg?1

@AJTheMighty I think that pulling from those other designs is a good idea, I'll try that out next. Was trying to pull inspiration from the winning #7 but the design is kind of fighting itself. 

EDIT: I dunno, some things are working, others not so much. I think the amount of radial capacitors is too high, I might try something more like a rounded box.

NHH9592.png?1

Edited by Bonus Eventus

1 hour ago, Bonus Eventus said:

EDIT: I dunno, some things are working, others not so much. I think the amount of radial capacitors is too high, I might try something more like a rounded box.

NHH9592.png?1

That looks just perfect! Definitely go with this one 100% :D

Oh, and I sorta agree - keep this form, but decrease the number of capacitors for each row down to 12 individual capacitors, and make em all slightly taller - and why not add rings connecting em 

Edited by AJTheMighty

13 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Trying out different options ATM. This one was an experiment with radiators. It's OK, but I realized it's probably not a great design because 1) detail level is way to high - 2) radiators would endup radiating into each other too much.

I say that, but it's not like I couldn't alter the design of the radiators, and retopo the model to reduce the geo.

npWsvPS.jpg?1

@AJTheMighty I think that pulling from those other designs is a good idea, I'll try that out next. Was trying to pull inspiration from the winning #7 but the design is kind of fighting itself. 

NHH9592.png?1

Is that a VASMIR engine, correct me if I'm wrong,

It looks gorgeous!

22 minutes ago, Table said:

Is that a VASMIR engine, correct me if I'm wrong,

It looks gorgeous!

It's not a VASIMR, but you're close. It is a form of magnetoplasmadynamic thruster called an Electrodeless Lorentz Force Accelerator. https://www.aa.washington.edu/research/plasmaDynamics/research/elf

Glad you like it. I'm still in the design phase though, so expect changes. The difficult part about designing this part is making sure it looks good when combined with k+ parts and stock.

16 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

It's not a VASIMR, but you're close. It is a form of magnetoplasmadynamic thruster called an Electrodeless Lorentz Force Accelerator. https://www.aa.washington.edu/research/plasmaDynamics/research/elf

Glad you like it. I'm still in the design phase though, so expect changes. The difficult part about designing this part is making sure it looks good when combined with k+ parts and stock.

Interesting, oh and I have another question, what kind of gas does it use? Xenon? Argon? Lithium?, because the page only says it's "An Ion Neutral Gas"

10 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Typically Xenon or Argon, but even water and oxygen have been tried. Lithium is the most performant. 

5Pb2iD8.png?1

rVBc83H.jpg?1

*GAAAAAAAASP*

EEEEE! IT'S GORGEOUS!!!! I LOVE IT 100x FOREVER!!! Oh, and could you show a photo of it in-game?

17 minutes ago, AJTheMighty said:

*GAAAAAAAASP*

EEEEE! IT'S GORGEOUS!!!! I LOVE IT 100x FOREVER!!! Oh, and could you show a photo of it in-game?

Here's the updated version. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/133876-new-mpd-engine-design-for-kerbodyne-plus-11/

Can't show you in game version yet, not done texturing/optimizing, but I will soon, beta testers will get it early.

Edited by Bonus Eventus

Just that I'll be putting out an early dev version for beta testers to use before the normal dev build is out. I put out a call last week for anyone who wants to be a beta tester to pm me. 

I'm looking for people who can:

• dedicate 2-4 hours a week to test dev builds. 
  • Capable of light cfg editing
  • no ksp well enough to tell the difference between features and bugs as well as put parts through advanced gameplay.

58 minutes ago, Table said:

Bonus, have you ever thought of, a command pod? Like not the crew cabin, but an actual command pod, with a cokcpit internal, (RPM & ASET Avionics)

Yes, in fact I mentioned this a few pages back on what may or may not make it into 1.1

But now I'm wondering if making a decent vehicle is right for this parts pack. Taurus HCV is a really good mod for that purpose and the Hermes mod has a cool looking MAV in the works.

As to RPM & ASET Avionics would create dependencies for K+, which is something I really want to avoid doing, because it makes my job harder.

Things that still need to be finished before 1.1:

• T202 docking ports
  • 7.5 round (s6) to 3.75 adapter
  • large xenon tanks
  • cooled fast sodium reactor

After 1.1 I want to add the following:

• large radial ore tanks
  • NRAX ISRU Unnamed ISRU that converts ore to xenon
  • 3.75m ISS Hab Modules
  • T202 data server
  • 3.75 monoprop tanks
  • T202 service bays
  • 3.75m ISS Science Lab
  • 3.75m round to T202 radial docking port (might work like the claw)
  • T404 extensions that make larger spaces and different shapes possible
  • T404 (claw) arm (think of this like an airplane umbilical)
  • Fusion reactor
  • High power engine
  • Expanded orange superstructure parts
  • Folding radiators
  • Remodel/animate solar wing (needs optimizing badly)
  • A smaller (but still big) landing strut

Lately I'm thinking a lot about parts for making "ISV Venture star" class ships (in terms of size and complexity. Interstellar distances don't currently make sense in KSP). I'm interested in making heat shields that will shield from intense reactor heat. I'm wondering if I can make an ISRU that will convert ore to ablative material, so you can regenerate your heat shield. I think at some point I'll remake the CM1 to be either a 3.75 hab module or a true 7.5 round (s6) command pod.  However, a 7.5m command pod seems unrealistic. If you need more crew wouldn't you just attach many crew modules. If its to lower part counts, wouldn't a crew module that looked like a bunch of smaller modules make sense? Also, doesn't it make more sense to have an automated piloting system rather than human piloted, especially for large IP spacecraft? 

Edited by Bonus Eventus

Yes, in fact I mentioned this a few pages back on what may or may not make it into 1.1

But now I'm wondering if making a decent vehicle is right for this parts pack. Taurus HCV is a really good mod for that purpose and the Hermes mod has a cool looking MAV in the works.

As to RPM & ASET Avionics would create dependencies for K+, which is something I really want to avoid doing, because it makes my job harder.

Things that still need to be finished before 1.1:

• T202 docking ports
  • 7.5 round (s6) to 3.75 adapter
  • large xenon tanks
  • cooled fast sodium reactor

After 1.1 I want to add the following:

• large radial ore tanks
  • NRAX ISRU Unnamed ISRU that converts ore to xenon
  • 3.75m ISS Hab Modules
  • T202 data server
  • 3.75 monoprop tanks
  • T202 service bays
  • 3.75m ISS Science Lab
  • 3.75m round to T202 radial docking port (might work like the claw)
  • T404 extensions that make larger spaces and different shapes possible
  • T404 (claw) arm (think of this like an airplane umbilical)
  • Fusion reactor
  • High power engine
  • Expanded orange superstructure parts
  • Folding radiators
  • Remodel/animate solar wing (needs optimizing badly)
  • A smaller (but still big) landing strut

Lately I'm thinking a lot about parts for making "ISV Venture star" class ships (in terms of size and complexity. Interstellar distances don't currently make sense in KSP). I'm interested in making heat shields that will shield from intense reactor heat. I'm wondering if I can make an ISRU that will convert ore to ablative material, so you can regenerate your heat shield. I think at some point I'll remake the CM1 to be either a 3.75 hab module or a true 7.5 round (s6) command pod.  However, a 7.5m command pod seems unrealistic. If you need more crew wouldn't you just attach many crew modules. If its to lower part counts, wouldn't a crew module that looked like a bunch of smaller modules make sense? Also, doesn't it make more sense to have an automated piloting system rather than human piloted, especially for large IP spacecraft? 

It's true that a 7.5m command pod seems unrealistic, how about bringing back that t404 to 3.7m something (idk) adapter, and then adding a command pod to that.

And about that RPM & Aset thing, maybe you could ask people to make a Kerbodyne+ add on for you? I honestly don't really know, just keep on doing your thing, keep on making this mod great Bonus!

I can't really help you much with this mod, b/c I have like 0 experience with coding and blender. I can only give suggestions and find bugs for you.

P.S. You were talking about a heat shield that shields heat from a reactor... I've never heard of that, could you give me some examples?

Edited by Table

36 minutes ago, Table said:

It's true that a 7.5m command pod seems unrealistic, how about bringing back that t404 to 3.7m something (idk) adapter, and then adding a command pod to that.

And about that RPM & Aset thing, maybe you could ask people to make a Kerbodyne+ add on for you? I honestly don't really know, just keep on doing your thing, keep on making this mod great Bonus!

I can't really help you much with this mod, b/c I have like 0 experience with coding and blender. I can only give suggestions and find bugs for you.

That's what I need the most at the moment, feedback and bug tracking. As far as T404 I want to enforce the idea that T404 is for hangars and volume containment. T202 is for structural support. Circular bulkheads are for habs. Let's take a look at the ISV Venture Star as an example of what I'm talking about.

qT2RA6R.jpg

Edited by Bonus Eventus

27 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

That's what I need the most at the moment, feedback and bug tracking. As far as T404 I want to enforce the idea that T404 is for hangars and volume containment. T202 is for structural support. Circular bulkheads are for habs. Let's take a look at the ISV Venture Star as an example of what I'm talking about.

qT2RA6R.jpg

Very, very interesting, but I would suggest you not make the same exact thing as the ISV Venture Star, I would love for you to make just your thing, but similar to Interstellar designs, or so we could make ENORMOUS Interstellar vehicles, btw I suggest you make a liquid droplet radiator, it's very interesting, and you should look it up :) I honestly don't like the look of the radiators on the ISVVS, it just looks so unamusing, and plain. But that's my opinion.

Oh and yes I totally agree with what you said about the T404 & T202

Edited by Table

14 minutes ago, Table said:

Very, very interesting, but I would suggest you not make the same exact thing as the ISV Venture Star, I would love for you to make just your thing, but similar to Interstellar designs, or so we could make ENORMOUS Interstellar vehicles, btw I suggest you make a liquid droplet radiator, it's very interesting, and you should look it up :) I honestly don't like the look of the radiators on the ISVVS, it just looks so unamusing, and plain. But that's my opinion.

Oh and yes I totally agree with what you said about the T404 & T202

Yeah, I have no intention of copying anything exactly. I want to make a building system that's modular like Lego, so you can build what you whatever you want.

However, just like with ksp stock I want parts to fill specific purposes, so players of all levels can find immediate uses for any given part. Just as when one looks at a screw driver and immediately knows which part is the handle, I feel like players should know which end is up and what each part's intended use is. Obviously some parts will be more specialized, and thus less modular than others, but I'm hoping to make these part systems as extensible as possible. Just as you said the hope is that you could make a spacecraft like the isv venturestar or the Hermes or the Discovery for that matter. 

That's why eventually I'll likely redesign t404 to look more like a hangar, more fragile, and light weight like something meant to only exist in zero gravity, put together in modules that unfold and then dock together.

Yeah, I have no intention of copying anything exactly. I want to make a building system that's modular like Lego, so you can build what you whatever you want.

However, just like with ksp stock I want parts to fill specific purposes, so players of all levels can find immediate uses for any given part. Just as when one looks at a screw driver and immediately knows which part is the handle, I feel like players should know which end is up and what each part's intended use is. Obviously some parts will be more specialized, and thus less modular than others, but I'm hoping to make these part systems as extensible as possible. Just as you said the hope is that you could make a spacecraft like the isv venturestar or the Hermes or the Discovery for that matter. 

That's why eventually I'll likely redesign t404 to look more like a hangar, more fragile, and light weight like something meant to only exist in zero gravity, put together in modules that unfold and then dock together.

I kind of like the t404 system the way it is, but it's your mod. Could I see some pics of what you're planning to make it look like?

Also, I would really like for you to make Icarus 2 heat shield. (Search it up)

Let's see if you;re up to the task :P Hint : It's ENORMOUS.

1 hour ago, Table said:

I kind of like the t404 system the way it is, but it's your mod. Could I see some pics of what you're planning to make it look like?

Also, I would really like for you to make Icarus 2 heat shield. (Search it up)

Let's see if you;re up to the task :P Hint : It's ENORMOUS.

It would pretty much be the same, except the walls would be thinner and the struts that make up the frame would be round like a pipe and narrower in diameter. I've been going back and forth with this design for a while. I don't want to take away any parts which people like. But I think it might be OK if the change is superficial. I'll throw up a sketch soon. Tomorrow I'll be finally getting to the nuclear reactor, so not sure when I'll have the time, maybe over the weekend. Might do another poll...hmmm

Edited by Bonus Eventus

10 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

It would pretty much be the same, except the walls would be thinner and the struts that make up the frame would be round like a pipe and narrower in diameter. I've been going back and forth with this design for a while. I don't want to take away any parts which people like. But I think it might be OK if the change is superficial. I'll throw up a sketch soon. Tomorrow I'll be finally getting to the nuclear reactor, so not sure when I'll have the time, maybe over the weekend. Might do another poll...hmmm

Interesting, the nuclear reactor, is it fusion, or fission? Also if you're going  to change the look of the T404 then you're gonna have to change the structure of the crew cabin right?

Edited by Table

1 hour ago, Table said:

Interesting, the nuclear reactor, is it fusion, or fission? Also if you're going  to change the look of the T404 then you're gonna have to change the structure of the crew cabin right?

Well as I said before, I plan to make the CM1 either an s6 bulkhead (7.5m round like the behemoth tank) or 3.75M round not sure how that will work exactly. What I am sure about is that I want to redesign that part. I feel that the interior could be more detailed with laptops and science equipment. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Habitation_Module_-_Crew_Quarters.png

Keep in mind these changes won't be coming soon. This would be down the road, well after 1.1

K+ still needs a bunch of capability/gameplay parts. I feel like the point of this pack isn't well experienced yet. I'm more concerned with that aspect at the moment. That's why I'm trying to get at least the first tere IP engine and reactor done before 1.1

Just now, Bonus Eventus said:

Well as I said before, I plan to make the CM1 either an s6 bulkhead (7.5m round like the behemoth tank) or 3.75M round not sure how that will work exactly. What I am sure about is that I want to redesign that part. I feel that the interior could be more detailed with laptops and science equipment. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Habitation_Module_-_Crew_Quarters.png

Keep in mind these changes won't be coming soon. This would be down the road, well after 1.1

K+ still needs a bunch of capability/gameplay parts. I feel like the point of this pack isn't well experienced yet. I'm more concerned with that aspect at the moment. That's why I'm trying to get at least the first tere IP engine and reactor done before 1.1

It's totally fine, as it's your mod I respect your decisions. And yes I would love the crew cabin to be full of laptops and science equipment. And probably a control panel :)

Hmm, Bonus have you ever thought about huge spherical tanks? They could contain Liquid Fuel or Liquid Hydrogen, and other fuels.

Also the flags on the Fuel tanks, I think it's be better oriented North-West not sideways, but this is just me and my opinion so it's your choice, and also this is minor so I'm sure you have more important things to focus on

2kIAQZI.png?1

B6Emgta.png?1

This is a WIP of the sodium fast cooled reactor. Still need to add heat exchange pipes. The section at left with the 8 radially placed pumps is where the reactor core is located.

l5eDO48.png

There really aren't many visual associations I can use as a designer which will communicate to the player, "this is a nuclear fission reactor", other than including a cooling tower and a radiation warning sign (sigh). In real applications these things tend to look like water coolers.

WEpasYb.png

And even a lot of what is cool will be inevitably covered by a shroud (because nearly all reactors are terrestrial reactors). Nasa has been experimenting of late with small fission reactors to replace RTGs, but these are test platforms (so look like random plumbing to the untrained eye). There is the 1950s SNAP 10A reactor which was actually flown by the US and a few russian ones, but since these craft were mostly test vehicles, the point of the craft was the reactor, so it's conical and at the front of the craft. I'm after a more general design players can stick in a fairing similar to an ISRU.

Pb3cDeh.png

Edited by Bonus Eventus

I think the Solar Wing should have a charge of about 275ec/sec, as the solar wing is very large it has more surface area, and it's longer and larger than KOCMOS Solar Wing which only has a charge of about 200ec/sec, while the solar wing is only 195ec/sec.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.