Kerbodyne Plus Development Thread

• 2 weeks later...

This looks absolutely incredible, Eventus! Congratulations on making it this far to beta with your mod!:)

My four ideas for Kerbodyne+ parts are an expandable, non-inflatable centrifuge for titanic stations and interplanetary craft, 3.75m NERVAs in addition to the giant ion engines, and an absolutely MASSIVE fusion drive for interplanetary travel. For the centrifuge, it should start out initially compact and 12m in diameter, expanding out to over a hundred feet in diameter, capable of housing 20 kerbals, 10 for each of the two sections of the centrifuge. I imagine the centrifuge to look like the centrifuge from the space station from the trailer for the Infernal Robotics Rework, "Sampling Duna," but Kerbodyne-esque, more streamined and with toggle-able lights: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yxh9En_Rd6E/mqdefault.jpg

As for the fusion drive, I'll let you decide on the design. :wink:

That are some gigantic parts :D! Finally a way for towing a fully-fueled Eve lander! Say, what are you using for modeling your parts? I never saw that modeling software before.

Glad I could help :) right now I'm using SketchUp for sketching quick designs and Modo 801 for finish work/uvs. I just got Substance Designer, so I'll be using that for baking normals.

This looks absolutely incredible, Eventus! Congratulations on making it this far to beta with your mod!:)

My four ideas for Kerbodyne+ parts are an expandable, non-inflatable centrifuge for titanic stations and interplanetary craft, 3.75m NERVAs in addition to the giant ion engines, and an absolutely MASSIVE fusion drive for interplanetary travel. For the centrifuge, it should start out initially compact and 12m in diameter, expanding out to over a hundred feet in diameter, capable of housing 20 kerbals, 10 for each of the two sections of the centrifuge. I imagine the centrifuge to look like the centrifuge from the space station from the trailer for the Infernal Robotics Rework, "Sampling Duna," but Kerbodyne-esque, more streamined and with toggle-able lights: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yxh9En_Rd6E/mqdefault.jpg

As for the fusion drive, I'll let you decide on the design. :wink:

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I'll give it some thought. I've already started sketching out some concepts for some big nuclear engines. I'll share those drawings a little later.

As for the beta, I might have it up tonight or tomorrow so, stay tuned ;)

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I'll give it some thought. I've already started sketching out some concepts for some big nuclear engines. I'll share those drawings a little later.

As for the beta, I might have it up tonight or tomorrow so, stay tuned ;)

That's great, but what about the centrifuge and fusion drive? Try and share those too as well as WIP models! ;)

Any progress on Kerbodyne+ and my suggestions? :P

My fourth suggestion (I forgot to write what it was) is a giant cupola and my fifth suggestion is to add the cargo bay you talked about into the next update. ;)

P.S. My sixth suggestion for this mod is a set of giant VASIMRs! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2015, 8:13:41, Kerenatus said:

Will this be updated when 1.1 is released?

Right now that's the plan. I've put off any updates till the new 1.1 part tools are released. I have a bunch of part configs to do, so until then there's not much point.

Edited by Bonus Eventus

On 2015/11/26 上午2:21:42, Bonus Eventus said:

Right now that's the plan. I've put off any updates till the new 1.1 part tools are released. I have a bunch of part configs to do, so until then there's not much point.

Glad to hear that.

Really enjoy this mod.

New NRAX Converter rendered in Modo. Might make a few more tweaks to the model, but it's pretty close to finished. This part is huge. It stands 17.5M high and has 3.75M compatible attachments.

SFqvfTb.jpg

Edited by Bonus Eventus

I'm SUPER DUPER PUMPED for this :D

Btw here are my suggestions for the internals for the crew tank, and some parts:

it could be like a bar lounge mixed with a hotel room and a double-decker plane.

Now for the part suggestions:

An inflatable centrifuge that starts out compact and expands to 10m in diameter

Xenon-powered 3m magnetoplasmadynamic engine

Gigantic cupola cockpit (has toggleable lights)

Edited by AJTheMighty

mYprlMb.jpg

Finished the exterior last night, after a quick retexturing of the airlocks. The windows will light up in game. Tonight I'll work on the internals if I get the chance.

On 12/16/2015, 9:19:25, AJTheMighty said:

I'm SUPER DUPER PUMPED for this :D

Btw here are my suggestions for the internals for the crew tank, and some parts:

it could be like a bar lounge mixed with a hotel room and a double-decker plane.

Now for the part suggestions:

An inflatable centrifuge that starts out compact and expands to 10m in diameter

Xenon-powered 3m magnetoplasmadynamic engine

Gigantic cupola cockpit (has toggleable lights)

So, as for these suggestions (and for anyone who might give part suggestions in the future), I always appreciate feedback, but I have to balance those suggestions against the other 2000 or so users of this mod.
To that end there's a few basic things I'm looking for: 

1. A good argument for why the part should be added (ex, it would allow designs that make for better gameplay experiences).
  2. There isn't another mod that has made it (and made it awesome!)
  3. The idea behind the part adds to the enjoyment of the other users of this mod as a whole, rather than the needs of a specific individual.
  4. It's in keeping with the spirit of the mod in general (aesthetically and gameplay-wise).

Inflatable centrifuge - I think MKS already has this. I know some of the other TAC and Life Support mods do. (See point #2 above)

Xenon-powered 3m magnetoplasmadynamic engine - Wouldn't this be redundant, since we have xenon powered plasma engines which are 3.75m?

Gigantic cupola cockpit - I'm not sure about this one. A cupola that size would might be too futuristic for Kerbodyne Plus. KP has kind of a near future feel similar to the film Interstellar or harder sci-fi. I try to avoid super advanced tech. I feel that's the niche this mod fills, since B9's large parts are mega futuristic and KW Rocketry is mega realistic. So, that said, I'm not opposed to the idea it would just have to be modified. The major flaw as I see it, has to do with glass, radiation, and temperature differentials. Unless we decided to chalk the design up to unobtanium, how would we justify a huge glass canopy? This is why there are so few, and in general, tiny windows on the ISS. 

Lastly, as for the internals, I'm thinking more like Dragon v2 capsule or ISS, less space hotel.

E33yB4z.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions AJ, I really do appreciate it! If you have counters to the points I've made, please let me know :)

Edited by Bonus Eventus
clarification

1 hour ago, Bonus Eventus said:

mYprlMb.jpg

Finished the exterior last night, after a quick retexturing of the airlocks. The windows will light up in game. Tonight I'll work on the internals if I get the chance.

So, as for these suggestions (and for anyone else making part suggestions in the future), I always appreciate feedback, but I have to balance those suggestions against the other 2000 or so users of this mod. To that end there's two basic things I'm looking for: 
1)  A good argument for why the part should be added (ex, it would allow for designs that would allow for better gameplay).
2) There isn't another mod that already does that and does it well.
3) That the idea of the part would add to the enjoyment of the other users of this mod as a whole rather than the needs of a specific individual.
4) It's in keeping with the spirit of the mod in general (aesthetically and gameplay-wise).

Inflatable centrifuge - I think MKS already has this, I know some of the other TAC and Life Support mods do.

Xenon-powered 3m magnetoplasmadynamic engine - Wouldn't this be redundant since we have xenon powered plasma engines already that are 3.75m?

Gigantic cupola cockpit - Not sure about this. A cupola that size would almost be to futuristic for Kerbodyne Plus. KP has kind of a near future feel similar to Interstellar (film) or harder sci-fi. I try to avoid super advanced tech. I feel that's the niche this mod fills, since B9's large parts are mega futuristic and KW Rocketry is mega realistic. So, that said, I'm not opposed to the idea it would just have to be heavily modified. 

Lastly, as for the internals, I'm thinking more like Dragon v2 capsule or ISS, less space hotel.

E33yB4z.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions AJ, I really do appreciate it! If you have counters to the points I've made, please let me know :)

Aw I'm glad you like my suggestions! I really hope this comes out before the start of 2016. By the way, the centrifuge could be like Porkjet's centrifuge except far more massive, as it is 3.75m. As for the MPD engine, it could be powered by LF only. In the case of the gigantic cupola cockpit, you could rework it into a flat cockpit with four windows and a 1.25m attachment node on the front and an airlock on one side, and built-in RCS thrusters ;)

This is as far as I got last night. Kept things really simple. Just trying to define the space and major forms. The plan is to seat 4 kerbals on either side of the crew module by the windows. I'll see how far I get over the weekend ;)

76i5dos.jpg

Edited by Bonus Eventus

Over the weekend I reworked the design of the internal crew module. It now resembles something a little closer to a helicopter crew cabin. The section will be mirrored. I think this will work much better and allow for more detail, putting the poly budget to better use. 

pJGtzKK.jpg

Imagine the windows are on the unseen wall to the left of the image.

Here's a wip of the internal space design. I think it's turning out purty good, thanks to nli2work's awesome tutorials! There are a couple of issues I still need to address, like flipping some of the uv tiles where text got inverted, and adding window cams and airlock colliders. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.