Kerbodyne Plus Development Thread

1 hour ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Here's the last one for the day. 

Think, I'm getting closer...

YrKFqdX.jpg

:0.0:

OMG

IT'S PERFECT!!

P.S. You can include that 2m one-nozzle electrical engine, and for easier placements in clusters it can be radially attacheable. :wink:

Edited by AJTheMighty
ADD THAT 2M ELECTRIC ENGINE AS WELL EVENTUS

CaoA972.jpg?1

wanted to do some more experiments before I choose a direction. With this one I wanted to see how a smooth transition from a circular profile to a square one would work with the design. It looks a little too simple. One thing I'm trying not to do with this design is make it look too uniform. I want to make sure it looks like an engine that was meant for the vacuum of space. Adding that smooth shape works against me. But hey, that's why I do experiments first ;)

ZZQQxPS.png?1

Although I really like this design, with the outer supports, I don't think it will work for the MPD, because I plan to have a similar structure to support the rows of magnets used for the confinement fields of the fusion engine.

5 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

CaoA972.jpg?1

wanted to do some more experiments before I choose a direction. With this one I wanted to see how a smooth transition from a circular profile to a square one would work with the design. It looks a little too simple. One thing I'm trying not to do with this design is make it look too uniform. I want to make sure it looks like an engine that was meant for the vacuum of space. Adding that smooth shape works against me. But hey, that's why I do experiments first ;)

Definitely go with this one ;)

It seriously LOOKS like something humans can actually make IRL and it looks real pretty as well. WONDERFUL

59 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

ZZQQxPS.png?1

Although I really like this design, with the outer supports, I don't think it will work for the MPD, because I plan to have a similar structure to support the rows of magnets used for the confinement fields of the fusion engine.

That design could be for the 2m electric engine but it could have one nozzle, AND, like I mentioned earlier, it should be radially attachable

5 minutes ago, AJTheMighty said:

@Bonus Eventus

AW NO IT STILL CRASHES -_-

Try and find the error in the programming

I tried to reproduce the error on my system but I'm on a Mac. Do me a favor, start the game again. When you've loaded the game and are at the space center, press alt f2. This will pull up the debug console. Scroll down and look for any orange text. Take a screenshot and post it here. Then proceed to activate the decoupler. If it crashes, find your log file (it's in the same folder your gamedata folder is in) and post the last 10 or so lines. That will help me tremendously. I checked the debug console on my end, and nothing weird showed up.

Edited by Bonus Eventus

1 minute ago, AJTheMighty said:

@Bonus Eventus

I tested it a couple of times with a "DEBUGGY THING" I made with the decoupler and a Behemoth engine, and amazingly it didn't crash :D

So, yay I guess???

Well you know what to do if it happens again ;)

On another note if anyone feels up to it, I set up a poll for the new MPD designs. Help me choose which one to go with! 

the last two images... dude, like, dude.
if you don't end up using them for your mod could i pretty pretty please have the model files to mess with making some engines? (credit to you obviously because i can't model for my life)

13 hours ago, Rushligh said:

the last two images... dude, like, dude.
if you don't end up using them for your mod could i pretty pretty please have the model files to mess with making some engines? (credit to you obviously because i can't model for my life)

we'll see...

wncRTMV.png?1

bel6iAF.png?1

WIP Large RCS Quad Block

#1 Experiment with stubby camera-lens-like rcs nozzle

#2 A more traditional apollo style RCS nozzle (if I go with this option, I think I'll make the nozzles shiny metal instead)

EDIT: Decided I'd go with option 2, but update the looks a little bit. 

smbB1XH.png?1

Edited by Bonus Eventus

17 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

we'll see...

wncRTMV.png?1

bel6iAF.png?1

WIP Large RCS Quad Block

#1 Experiment with stubby camera-lens-like rcs nozzle

#2 A more traditional apollo style RCS nozzle (if I go with this option, I think I'll make the nozzles shiny metal instead)

EDIT: Decided I'd go with option 2, but update the looks a little bit. 

smbB1XH.png?1

Looks awesome, but will the nozzles really shine like metal in-game? If so, then try and show an in-game demonstration ;)

I think each of the nozzle's opening could be as wide as a whole Kerbal

Edited by AJTheMighty

Did a little research into different engines for reaction control systems. 

R-4D apollo program RCS thruster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-4D

vZ0Tzhm.jpg

• Hypergolic (ignites by way of chemical mixture. No ignition) liquid engine. 
  • NTO / MMH propellant
  • storable (non-cryogenic) propellant
  • Propellant is stored in pressurized tanks. When the tank valve is loosened, both gases mix in a mixing chamber then quickly expand through the nozzle. Simple system. Highly reliable and tanks do not need to be fueled at launch.
  • Low thrust

Resistojet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistojet_rocket

7wR6eaw.jpg

• Provides thrust by electrically heating a non reactive propellant
  • Small footprint
  • Low thrust

SuperDraco https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDraco

9OOvL39.jpg

mFW4jxM.jpg

• high-thrust hypergolic engine
  • NTO / MMH propellant
  • storable (non-cryogenic) propellant
  • 73 kn of thrust
  • 3d printed

After doing this bit of research (admittedly, I should have done more before jumping into the modeling) I think it would make more sense to model the RCS engines off of the SuperDraco engines seeing as they're the only RCS engines I could find with a comparable amount of thrust required for the Behemoth Payloads. Just not sure how to translate the design into all the different configurations (x4, x3, x2)

EDIT: Updated the rcs quad block

S1XQjFT.png?1

2rKhste.jpg

Edited by Bonus Eventus

22 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

EDIT: Updated the rcs quad block

S1XQjFT.png?1

2rKhste.jpg

@Bonus Eventus Looks great, but I thinks it could use an extra fifth engine in that ring in the middle

BUUUUT, did you choose a final model for the giant ion cluster? If so, you could show me a model of what the colors would look like so we'll get an idea what they'll look like in-game. And also add a Kerbal for scale

And lastly, why not add the second smaller one-nozzle one as an ion engine rather than an XEMT? It could be less expensive that the giant one but adds up to roughly the same price as the giant XEMT's price when clustered in a group of 8 or more ;)

There are already hull sections that conform to the cavity a crew compartment variant could easily be created to link the main command pod to the bridge and can also be used to create flat floors. A fuel tank variant would be cool too. 

Edited by bazz

30JpzFH.jpg

5M8Ckxp.jpg

Upgraded the T404 truss sections. Now I need to give some love to the T202 trusses. The T404 trusses are for large storage (like assent vehicles) kind of like orbital shipyards. The T202 line of trusses have more of a structural focus with modular integrated enhancements, like batteries, antennae, and other devices to augment capabilities. I doubt anyone can guess what those orange structural parts are all about ;)

5 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

30JpzFH.jpg

5M8Ckxp.jpg

Upgraded the T404 truss sections. Now I need to give some love to the T202 trusses. The T404 trusses are for large storage (like assent vehicles) kind of like orbital shipyards. The T202 line of trusses have more of a structural focus with modular integrated enhancements, like batteries, antennae, and other devices to augment capabilities. I doubt anyone can guess what those orange structural parts are all about ;)

WHOA NELLY THAT'S AWESOME! That definitely makes the T404 family look more realistic :D

Oh and is it weird that I know EXACTLY what those are for; keeping structural integrity high? And that there's gonna be more T202 parts; can I give some suggestions for some T202 parts; a battery bank, a fuel tank or maybe a compact rotating centrifuge with a counter-rotating wheel - the main ring would be as wide as a standard T404 module - but it would have no windows at all. ;)

Oh, almost forgot! What's that cap-shaped orange/black part? I have literally no idea what that is whatsoever :confused:

53 minutes ago, AJTheMighty said:

WHOA NELLY THAT'S AWESOME! That definitely makes the T404 family look more realistic :D

Oh and is it weird that I know EXACTLY what those are for; keeping structural integrity high? And that there's gonna be more T202 parts; can I give some suggestions for some T202 parts; a battery bank, a fuel tank or maybe a compact rotating centrifuge with a counter-rotating wheel - the main ring would be as wide as a standard T404 module - but it would have no windows at all. ;)

Oh, almost forgot! What's that cap-shaped orange/black part? I have literally no idea what that is whatsoever :confused:

haha, guess again :D

Z0FEIQz.jpg

if you guessed starship scale fuel tanks then you wouldn't be wrong :)

I'm currently working on this:

9zuypsm.png?1

Edited by Bonus Eventus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.