Phoebus 1.0. Low partcount Apollo replica.

Rune

Well this went easier than expected. I kid you not, I have only flown this once. And it went without a hitch! (well, I had to reload the landing because a cat screwed with it by sitting on my lap :blush:) I am getting really good at this "eyeballing margins" stuff. I do admit that I used KER but... how often do you get something as complicated as an Apollo replica right at first launch? Honestly, this went much better than it had any right to. Even if I had to put the Skippers at 100% rated thrust so get a S-IC tall and powerful enough :wink:. Feast your eyes!

3HIqtk5.png

It has an access tower and everything! You can now get your kerbals into the capsule in a proper astrovan and everything. And the lunar stack, I'm really proud at how that turned out, simple yet very accurate at the same time. And I finally have fuel cells for the CSM! The LM, of course, runs on batteries, so don't dilly-dally on the surface too long. The usual rest of accuracy details, minus the interstage ring that would have complicated the build a lot needlessly. This way, the whole thing is a mere 156 parts on the pad (5 of which are the service tower), and it is still very, very accurate (if you don't believe me, wait until you hear about the margins).

5h9m0hi.png

Now, a note about flying it. It's further explained in the album, but the margins on everything are really, really tight. Like, I ended TMI with something like 2m/s on the S-IVb tanks (not counting RCS). And I landed with 5m/s on the LM descent stage. About 50m/s on the ascent stage are left for rendezvous operations, too. But don't despair if you are not the best pilot out there! The CSM as a crapton of extra fuel, so it can finish off lunar insertion of the stack after taking the LM out, and not only that, the LM itself has unused tanks in every stage: fill them up before undocking with some of that extra fuel, and not only will you will also have wider margins for the descent, you still have sufficient margin on the CSM tanks for a nice margin on the margin. Also, the RCS is very excessive, so you could tap into that if push comes to shove.

And with that, I leave you with the fully commented mission album, and the download, so you too can emulate the steps of the Apollo crews. Enjoy!

IMGUR ALBUM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/3nzetk0p2f21fpe/Phoebus+1_0.craft

Rune. "...We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..."

Edited by Rune

This reminds me, I must 1.0ify my Apollo rocket! This would be better with a little rover too Rune.

I do like the simplicity of it though. I remember when we where both making our Apollo craft. Good times.

Edited by Majorjim

Lovely replica Rune! Love the lander, by the way.

Thanks! I'm also pretty happy with it: to be 50 parts, it's damn accurate, and it fits within a 2.5m diameter.

This reminds me, I must 1.0ify my Apollo rocket! This would be better with a little rover too Rune.

I do like the simplicity of it though. I remember when we where both making our Apollo craft. Good times.

Yup, mine was always about being the lightweight of the bunch... :) Anyhow, last time I put the rover in, but I figured this time I would go for a G-class mission. There is room in the design to grow ity further, and the lander certainly has a lot of unused space... , might be enough to put one in at some point.

I should release my Apollo sometime...
Nice! I've been think of think of releasing a low part count apollo.

Well, the more the merrier! I don't think I have seen any 1.0 Apollo replicas yet... come on guys, mine can't be the only one, we need something to compare with! :)

Rune. Besides, it's an awesome mission to fly.

Beautiful. I can't wait to fly this mission. I've done it before with a version or two of Mulbin's Munbug. In fact playing with the demo and browsing the forums and seeing Mulbin's version is what convinced me to buy this game. I'm a sucker for this mission and I love all the as-accurate-as-possible recreations. Thank you.

Edited by Mako
Kill typos

Beautiful. I can't wait to fly this mission. I've done it before with a version or two of Mulbin's Munbug. In fact playing with the demo and browsing the forums and seeing Mulbin's version is what convinced me to buy this game. I'm a sucker for this mission and I love all the as-accurate-as-possible recreations. Thank you.

You are very welcome! The original one by Mulbin was a work of art (especially considering the state of the game back then), and I feel very honoured by the comparison.

Rune. Hope it's hard realistic enough for you, tell me how it goes! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.