Help with KW petal adapter!

warhawk373

When I place my lander inside the 3.75m-2.5m petal adapter then connect the adapter to the point where my engine and fuel tank meet then try to decouple my main rocket so I can turn around and take the probe out, the main rocket just sticks to the adapter. The probe properly decouples but the main rocket (the part above the adapter) wont come loose. When I click decouple, the screen wobbles for a few seconds then the main rocket sticks. I made sure the probe isn't too long and its not attached to the engine. Is it just not compatible with the new KSP update?

KW didn't get an actual update to 1.02. If I recall, Kickasskyle or Winston (whoever put the update out) rushed to get it out to go on vacation or something, overlooking a ton of bugs that arose. Someone HAS made a hotfix in the meantime that can be found here. Keep in mind that the patch has some issues still.

I found a dropbox file on that link that said it fixed some bugs. I placed it in the KW rocketry folder like they said but it didn't fix the petal adapter. Did I put the .cfg file in there wrong or does this fix just not cover the adapter?

I guess my only hope is that they will come out with another update for KW because the adapter wont add a shroud over the engine. For some reason the adapter links up with the node of a decoupler but it wont turn green. So no Saturn V simulation for now sadly.

Connect to the bottom of the engine and it should make a fairing over the engine if remember right it has been that way O maybe around .25 hope it helps.

It most likely require ModuleManager

It most likely require ModuleManager

I looked at ModuleManager and it looks as though you need to know how to script to get it to work. I've done quit a bit of scripting on arma 2 and 3 but I dont know where to start with all this defining node locations and such to get the petal adapter to work.

Don't know what to tell you. It works as advertised for me. No hacks, no tweaks, no cheats. Just works and works well.

Yes it connects just fine for me too and it will also open fine but when i actually try to decouple the main rocket from the adapter, it wont come apart.

Yes it connects just fine for me too and it will also open fine but when i actually try to decouple the main rocket from the adapter, it wont come apart.

Are you using regular staging with the spacebar? Or are you using the right-click menu as advised in the part description? It works fine with the menu, just as I said in my reply in the KW Rocketry thread. Asking the same question in two different places won't necessarily yield the answer you're hunting for.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Are you using regular staging with the spacebar? Or are you using the right-click menu as advised in the part description? It works fine with the menu, just as I said in my reply in the KW Rocketry thread. Asking the same question in two different places won't necessarily yield the answer you're hunting for.

It wont work in the menu for me. One thing I haven't tried is removing the interstellar visual enhancement mod. The reason I haven't done it is because its just a visual mod idk why it would have an affect on the parts. And apologies if I posted the same question somewhere else. There was one other place I put it but I didnt think it went through because I couldnt find it so I made this post.

• 3 weeks later...
Sry for hijacking, but i have the exact same problem, it wont decouple (screen wobles a sec) and sometimes it rips it appart but it wont come off :S

Yep, that's exactly what happens to me. I tried removing all other mods too and it didn't help so I guess KW just needs an update ): let's hope it comes soon

Have you tried creating action groups for the fairing?

It works best if you bind the upper decouple with the fairing open action, as that will allow you to turn around and pull any cargo out of the fairing, and also release the cargo in the fairing.

Yep, that's exactly what happens to me. I tried removing all other mods too and it didn't help so I guess KW just needs an update ): let's hope it comes soon

Give another look at the KW Rocketry thread. A patch has been posted that might help your situation. After applying it, remember that you cannot stage the decoupler. Use the right-click menu to open the adapter, then click the appropriate decouple buttons.

Give another look at the KW Rocketry thread. A patch has been posted that might help your situation. After applying it, remember that you cannot stage the decoupler. Use the right-click menu to open the adapter, then click the appropriate decouple buttons.

Could you possibly give a link to that thread? Im not sure which kw rocketry thread your refering to.

• 6 months later...

I know I'm bringing a dead thread alive, but I found a solution to the issue. If you make the root part below the petal adapter and then attach the bottom node of the upper parts engine it will work. You can then use the nudge tool to stick the engine inside the fairing like normal.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.