PSA: Nerv's become useful above 10km in Kerbin atmo

Ya engines see 98%+ vacuum performance once you hit that first barometer color shift.

The interesting thing with nukes is they make an acceptable ultra high plane engine. You can get enough lift for level flight going 1.6 km/s at 35 km. At that height there is practically no drag.

Since you're using Kerbal Engineer, you can simply check the engine's performance on a atmospheric body without even leaving the VAB/SPH, by using the altitude slider displayed by the 'atmospheric' button :)

In 0.90 it outstripped any chemical rocket engine in Isp by 1700m, pretty much always good to have it burning. Now in 1.0 with thrust scaling and wide asparagus designs being less desirable it's a bit trickier, but with LV-N equipped spaceplanes I typically wait to light them up until the jets start to die.

Yup, most (all?) the engines that have lousy sea level thrust get useable low down at like 10km, so no need to only use them in space.

Arguably even lower than that. Most vacuum engines don't provide the TWR you'd like to have early in the ascent, but ISP-wise, 5km is halfways to space. If the nozzle has a free field of fire, you may as well use it.

Yup, most (all?) the engines that have lousy sea level thrust get useable low down at like 10km, so no need to only use them in space.

I recently did similar testing with all the low-sea-level-ISP engines to confirm their utility at 10-12km. I have found that I can pretty reliably put 1300 to 1400 m/s dV on my rockets' launch stages, and I'll be high enough to stage and use these engines efficiently. It's made me love the Rhino.

NERVs are based on solid core Nuclear Thermal Rockets engines. They are not the same engines as project Pluto.

Liquid and gas core nuclear thermal engines are where you have nuclear waste discharge. But those also get better ISP: 1040-1200 s and 2400-4000 s respectively if they use the same scaling to real life as the NERV.

Look up the Wikipedia article on Nuclear Thermal Rockets. It's a shame budget concerns over a Mars mission killed the program.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.