[1.0.4] Stock Hull Section Parts v1.15 (24-06-15)

Inqie

What Mk3 Hull Section texture do you prefer?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What Mk3 Hull Section texture do you prefer?

• The new one from v1.13
    • One closer to cargo bay texture (from v1.12)

Do you want to get rid of those pesky doors? Did Jeb wear out your cargo bays? Is Bill demanding somewhere to sit back and relax?

Well thanks to Jeb's clumsiness some cargo bays have turned up at the VAB with broken hinges. Fortunately, Verner Von Kerman took these broken parts and created the hollow hull section!

PCSle45.png

Let's face it, it's just an inoperable cargo bay.

But who doesn't love to have a place to fill with explosives for... "science-y stuff".

Features:

- Mk2 Cargo Hull Sections (Small and Large)

- Mk3 Cargo Hull Sections (Short, Medium and Long)

Service Hull Sections (1.25m and 2.5m) removed for new release.

If you still want them install this release over the previous one.

Changelog:

> v1.15 (24/06/15)

- Tweaked the part files to work properly with update 1.0.3

- Added override cubes from Mk3 Cargo Bay

- Specified new breaking forces for parts

> v1.13 (14/06/15)

- New Textures for the Mk3 and Mk2 hull sections

> v1.12 (13/06/15)

- New Textures

> v1.0 (12/06/15)

- Initial Release

- 3 basic parts with various sizes

To be developed:

- Better textures

- Custom models (if someone wants to collab and make these that'd be great as I suck with models atm)

- (Possibly) longer 1.25m/2.5m/3.75m versions, however I would need custom models which I don't have experience with making.

- Thus, custom models and rethought part files for the Mk2/Mk3 parts would also be a possibility.

Known Issues:

- Mk3 closing animation plays on launch

- 1.25m and 2.5m Service Hulls start open and cannot be closed (Removed for v1.15)

This mod includes modified versions of stock part files and textures, as well as stock models.

Thanks to PorkJet, RoverDude and Squad for the originals.

Note: This mod is in no way affiliated with Alskari's Hollow Structures & Hulls mod.

Please delete your CargoHullExperimental folder in your GameData before installing a new version.

Download: v1.15 Dropbox for 1.0.4

Legacy:

- v1.13 - Dropbox

- v1.12 - Dropbox

- v1.0 - Dropbox

If you would prefer the old Mk3 Cargo Hull texture (more similar to the stock texture), copy the CargoHullExperimental folder under 'Alternate Textures' into your GameData after you have installed the mod.

Installation:

1. Merge the GameData folder provided in the download with the GameData folder in your KSP directory.

2. Play that awesome game called Kerbal Space Program.

*License: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License*

Edited by PortalGunner
New Version

Done, and of course I will make an effort to make a much nicer image later.

As you can see, they have the stock textures. I almost succeeded at making my own but for some reason they got cropped. I'll work on it.

I suspect the open-door problem on the service-bay section may come down to the default mesh.

I like the idea. I could put stuff such as batteries and small fuel tanks inside the section and cover the exterior with solar panels. If there's a better fix for the general problem of mounting stuff on these doors it would be better. The Space Shuttle had heat radiator panels on the inside of the payload-bay doors.

Since it's possible to put multi-resource storageâ€â€batteries. fuel. monopropellantâ€â€into a fuel-tank section ("Fuel Switch" comes to mind) that might be a better answer to that particular case. Start from the smallest-size stackable tank.

It wouldn't be hard. And, looking at the stock parts, once you have a stackable battery it seems almost superfluous. But a battery/monopropellant unit at 1.25m diameter might be a handy option, something like an FL-R25 RCS Fuel Tank with half the fuel and the battery capacity of a Z-1k Rechargeable Battery.

I can imagine Valentina, in the VAB, with a screwdriver, making something like this.

manufacturer = Valentina's Too Obvious For Boys Parts Emporium

description = One night Valentina slipped into the VAB with a screwdriver and a large hammer, and put some batteries into a fuel tank for Monopropellant. She twisted some wires together and wrapped them in gaffer tape. Nothing has exploded, yet.

@Wolf Baginski - I'm unsure how to fix the open door problem, but I think you are right.

Making a part fuel part battery part should be pretty easy. You need to reduce the liquidFuel resource and add a module for ElectricCharge. I might think about making it.

Unfortunately what's more important is the texturing. If you have any ideas for how the parts should look, please express those thoughts. I will make some slight changes considering textures for the next update.

Edited by PortalGunner

Making a part fuel part battery part should be pretty easy. You need to reduce the liquidFuel resource and add a module for ElectricCharge. I might think about making it.

Unfortunately what's more important is the texturing. If you have any ideas for how the parts should look, please express those thoughts. I will make some slight changes considering textures for the next update.

The part.cfg seems pretty simple, though there might be balance issues with cost and tech-tree position

FL-R25 tank:

Dry Mass = 0.15 Mg

Fuel capacity 250 units = 1.00 Mg

Cost = 600

Z-1k rechargeable battery

Mass = 0.1 Mg

Battery Capacity = 1000 units

Cost = 880

Since the Z-1k is half the height of the tank the combination could be:

Mass = 0.25 Mg

Fuel Capacity = 125 units = 0.5 Mg

Cost = 1380

I think that's a good starting point for game balance. Cover something that size with solar panels and you have something that allows a long-duration mission. The battery capacity might be too big, but it has the physical plausibility.

Texturing I shall have to think about. Just half-battery, half-RCS, seems a little unimaginative. Maybe more on the theme of the service bay and the universal storage mod. That is, black-and-white panels, a hint of vertical corrugation, and maybe some warning symbol.

Anyway, I just ran a test, merely a changed part.cfg, and it works and looks OK with the default texture for the fuel tank. It goes well with the K2 capsule Mod, which is a vaguely Gemini-like two-kerbal capsule in 1.25m size.

And now lunch. Should I add some capacity for Snacks...

Since the Z-1k is half the height of the tank the combination could be:

Mass = 0.25 Mg

Fuel Capacity = 125 units = 0.5 Mg

Cost = 1380

If the hybrid part is the same size as the original fuel tank, I would suggest cutting the mass to something more like 2.1Mg, the battery capacity to around 700ec and the cost down to about 1250. If it isn't the same size as the original, then that makes things harder.

- - - Updated - - -

Stock Hull Sections version 1.12 is out, with slightly different textures so you can tell them apart from the cargo bays.

Remember to give Jeb his sandwich back, and enjoy.

New version - Stock Hull Sections v1.13 released, in this release I have made a more 'unique' Mk3 Hull texture look. If you would prefer one that looks more like the stock cargo bay either replace the texture with the included alternate texture or download version 1.12 (I would advise against doing the latter if you are playing in KSP 1.0.3).

Edited by PortalGunner

Stupid question, but I want to make sure: Do the hollow Mk2/3 hulls properly shield parts inside them from drag/heat under stock aero? (I'm still hoping for a nuFAR-based nuNEAR from ferram4, but I think that's gonna be a lost cause... Though I like to think he wants to work out the bugs in nuFAR before releasing nuNEAR... Yeah, just deluding myself...) I think several mods have had issues with hollow/cargo parts not quite shielding internal parts properly (or something.)

Stupid question, but I want to make sure: Do the hollow Mk2/3 hulls properly shield parts inside them from drag/heat under stock aero?

Yes, they should. They use the stock cargo bay model because it blends well with other mk2/mk3 parts and because I don't know how to make my own models :P

Edit: The drag cubes for the Mk3 cargo bay added in KSP 1.0.3 (and thus now added to the Mk3 hull sections) and the rebalanced max temperatures should fix any problems to do with heat and drag.

Edited by PortalGunner

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.